Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  California Recertification Thread - Manual Trans + V8 (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
California Recertification Thread - Manual Trans + V8 by TK
Started on: 01-15-2004 05:43 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: madcurl on 07-06-2004 04:34 PM
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
1. Does the engine have to be from California?- Yes.

2. How do they know the year of the engine? If the engine has a VIN stamped in it, they can look it up. That will also answer #1. The block casting code will also tell them the earliest year of the block.

3. Can you use a L98 crate engine and then use all TPI/smog/computer from that year car and say that engine is a 1991 L98 from a trans am? Would they know if I did that? First, offer no information other than what you are asked. If asked, say you bought a crate engine from GM. That's what they gave you for a California 1991 L98. Move along, nothing happening here. I don't see why this would be an issue at all.

One can also argue that a replacement engine doesn't have any certification. On the DOHC, I called GM and asked for a replacement block for 91-94 DOHC for California and Federal. Same part number for the replacement. If you get a rebuilt engine, it could be from anything as long as it's functionally correct. If could still have to old VIN in it. Vette and F body crates are somewhat different so that's something you have to watch out for. If they were to determine the engine is differernt, they will just switch the certification requirements and now you are installing dual cats, etc.

So the way to deal with this is:

1. Have a VIN from a California car that shows that engine. If you have that they will very likely skip the engine check (and most likely will anyway). In a Fiero, it sucks to find it in the first place.

2. Connect and install all of the emissions equipment for the car you are claiming was the donor. If it had two cat, install two cats, if it had one, then install one.

3. Get the car pre-tested somewhere to ensure it will pass the dyno two speed test.

4. Fabricate as little as possible in the intake tract and exhaust manifold.

5. Clean and neat, clean and neat.

Your odds of passing and getting blessed are extremely high. Even if you fail, it usually for something simple that you can correct and go back. I really don't think they will give you any trouble over the crate engine. You might ask GM if the crate engine is California certified. If so, get a printout of the crate part number showing that. If not, then erase that from your memory.

You're not doing anything that needs them to be suspicious. It a straight forward swap.

On the otherhand I'm not responsible for your inability to bend the rules ....

Terry

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 03-09-2004).]

IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This is very good information. I said I would never live in CA (1/4 of my cars driveable there) because earthquakes but you never know. Thanks for sharing

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

Azriel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2004 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
OMG.. someone please shoot me in the head if i ever think of moving to Nazi-California. Here in Illinois, you dump a bigass motor in however you want, and call the state police. They send a guy out to say .. wow it has a cat, and give you a new vin tag. If you don't get a corrected title they can nail you for stolen/altered vin numbers the next time you piss them off. Engines and transmissions do have numbers. ANY time you rebuild or heavily modify a car you should go through this.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Sure, let me know when you're coming.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

Sure, let me know when you're coming.

Lol!

Frankly, anything we can do to discourage people from coming here I fully support. We are not in any way asking people to move here. Don't. It sucks. Really bad place. You'll hate it. We're in the dark ages. Running out of water. Tons of smog. Housing prices are too high.

Me? I'm staying.

cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
TK,
I used to live in Sac. I want to move back. I started vy V8 swap there (305 TPI from an 88 Z28 with Getreg). My motor was a smog pump motor. I have porchased a speed density harness and computer (90-92 Camro). Will it be noticed if I do not run the pump? Is this a don't volunteer situation? My Fiero is also a Cali car, was registered and purchased there (not sure if it is a cali original car). Here in MI,there are no smog requirements and I have not made provisions for the pump. All other smog equipment will be present and working. You mentioned about not modifying the exhaust, I had planned on welding on bungs for the smog pump manifolds, dont think I will do that now.

You thoughts are greatly appreciated and Thanks for your effeots.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread. However, there's a better way. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032834-5.html

Get a specialty construction vehical certificate. No more worries for life. End of discussion.

------------------

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Interesting thread. However, there's a better way. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032834-5.html

Get a specialty construction vehical certificate. No more worries for life. End of discussion.

Don't build the car until you get a commitment from BAR on this. Adding body panels technically doesn't apply. It's a fine line. Chassis mods, etc. A Fiero is a Fiero is a Fiero. I can name several things that have been accepted but that's not a guarentee it will work every time. If you come rolling up to the ref with your car done and they reject it, are you going to drag someone else into it and say "you blessed theirs, now bless mine"? They can jerk the other persons recertification (I'm not say it's a given) if they see something is incorrect. I asked BAR about this and it's one of the areas they dread.

My point is, plan before you build. Even the shops can say they won't accept a recert label. Sure, they are supposed to but they don't even accept EO labels sometimes. Just make sure that's all I'm saying.

TK

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

TK

10013 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by cire36:

TK,
I used to live in Sac. I want to move back. I started vy V8 swap there (305 TPI from an 88 Z28 with Getreg). My motor was a smog pump motor. I have porchased a speed density harness and computer (90-92 Camro). Will it be noticed if I do not run the pump? Is this a don't volunteer situation? My Fiero is also a Cali car, was registered and purchased there (not sure if it is a cali original car). Here in MI,there are no smog requirements and I have not made provisions for the pump. All other smog equipment will be present and working. You mentioned about not modifying the exhaust, I had planned on welding on bungs for the smog pump manifolds, dont think I will do that now.

You thoughts are greatly appreciated and Thanks for your effeots.

If you come back into California with a California car (YF5 option) doesn't really make it much easier if it's been retitled out of state. They smog it and issue the title just like a Federal car. They will check the equipment. The missing pump is pretty obvious unless you also swapped the manifolds so they don't have the tubes anymore.

At the same time, it's amazing what they miss. So....be ready to put it all back on. One day you will have to anyway.

TK

cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
TK,

Yes, I have swapped the headers. I currently have "Block Huggers". I preety much knew they would smog it as a Cali car since it was onr before. My main concern is nt having the smog pump and its associated equipment on the car. I guess I will have to take my chances once I get back there.

I may just go ahead and add it and its parts to the motor now then I dont have to worry about it, just more engineering that I really dont want to do if I dont have too.

What did you mean I will have to eventually?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I belive Orville has a LT1 w/4 speed manual. It could be a 5-speed but I don't think so? Anyway, he did he's research and still got the "red tape" on some crummy wordings. Problem was the LT1 was offered as a longitutional and not horizontal as is with all Fieros. He beat it by addresing a letter to someone I forgot. Bottom line: they had to pass it. It has been my experience (8) times that: It appears that CA and the auto makers are in business together. Sell more cars period...electric or hybrid cars. Trash all older cars. Give each person a hard time and if they continue....pass them. This is only my theory.

My reasons for this is simple. My car passed the tail-pipe emissions with flying colors just like a new 1999 car should. This is keeping in with the "spirit of the new smog laws in CA." Think about it, if every old car that is still on the roads in CA had better cleaning, more milage per gallon engines car, thus making our nation less depended on Iraq's oil... They would be still concered about the "visuals." My car could have gotten 100mpg and I still would be stuck with the "visuals." To make matters worse, one guy even told me that I should have the Caddy's exhaust system in it. The other guy looked at him and said "no......that's taking it too far."

I agree w/you about doing your research first and only answering questions w/ltd statements. But if they gave me such a hard time with a stock N* and stock tranny that came with it, and many more required items that something "fishy" is going on?

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock