Started on: 07-02-2001 10:34 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: 1986GTV8 on 11-05-2003 02:13 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Archie very cool and I really apreciate what your doing for us who live on a budget!
IP: Logged
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2001 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
This one is more for Archie,

How about taking the $4k V8 swap car to the Fiero power fest if it ever takes place.
This will show that is is possible to build a fast V8 Fiero for the same price, or less than any other engine swap / buildup.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2001 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
This one is more for Archie,

How about taking the $4k V8 swap car to the Fiero power fest if it ever takes place.
This will show that is is possible to build a fast V8 Fiero for the same price, or less than any other engine swap / buildup.

For sure..... I put this engine into an '84 Pace Car. If someone doesn't buy it from me before hand, I'll be bringing it.

Archie

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2001 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened to this?
Any updates, pictures of burn outs?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2001 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
What ever happened to this?
Any updates, pictures of burn outs?

Thanks for bringing this back up to the top..... I haven't been able to find it for a long time and my bookmarks folder is all screwed up.

I'll put up the rest of this tomorrow.

Bookmarking this thread right now.

Archie

------------------
Just how fast do you want to go?

fieroburton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2002 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroburtonClick Here to visit fieroburton's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroburtonDirect Link to This Post
how easy is it to put a 350 into a fiero?
can it be done in 3 month's? (i just go to school and sometimes work so i got plenty of time , so do you have to know a little about engines or is pretty self explained?
i would like to do one but im thinking ill screw up my car
sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post
From the sounds of it, you won't want to attempt it on your own. SBC swaps take a lot of knowledge, it's not like changing a tire. I'm getting an LT1 put in my car within the next month or two with Archies Deluxe kit and I like to think I have a really good working knowledge of cars and am pretty mechanically inclined, but I am still leaving this project in the hands of the professionals. I will be stopping by the shop every now and then and helping them out so as I can learn as we go along. I hope that someday I will have the tools and know how to attempt an SBC swap all on my own on another Fiero, but for now, best left to the professionals that know what they're doing. My swap will take about 2 months to complete, but that's just because it'll take 3 weeks for the block to get machined and the rest is the swap itself.

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

LT1 Coming Soon.....

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
If you can pull and re-install a Fiero's 2.8, and do the SAME to a corvette, then you'll do fine with Archie's Master Build kit.

He makes rocket science into backyard rocket science

Best!
Ben.

Originally posted by fieroburton:
how easy is it to put a 350 into a fiero?
can it be done in 3 month's? (i just go to school and sometimes work so i got plenty of time , so do you have to know a little about engines or is pretty self explained?
i would like to do one but im thinking ill screw up my car

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Jimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySend a Private Message to JimmyDirect Link to This Post
This was my first engine swap on any vehicle, I think If I could do it most anyone could that has access to a full toolbox. Just don't try and cut corners or you will regret it.

Jim
87 GT T-TOP V8
87 GT

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2002 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
bump
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2002 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well as you can guess we've already finished this swap. I've just been late telling you about it. The engine swap has been running and test driven a little bit. As I mentioned before this swap is being done to a 1984 Pace car. At this time we are just finishing up the restoration of the Indy and so the final finished pictures aren't available yet. We actually let this project sit off to the side for several months while we built several customer cars and my LT1 stinger project.

So, if you don't mind I'll take this project up where I had left off several months ago.

You'll recall that to try to stay to a low total cost and to compare a V-8 swap using a used engine to the V-6 swaps that advocate the use of a used engine, we were going to try to purchase as many parts at swap meets as we can. One example is this remote oil filter adapter that has to bolt up to the engine. New, these things cost about $24.00, I got this one for $10 at a swap meet.

When we put it on the engine it looks like this.

WE install the Flywheel that come with the V-8 kit.

Then the adapter plate

The Clutch

And one of the hoses on the remote oil filter adapter and the starter

Yeah, sure I know...... no one else doing 3.4 or 3.8 or OHV Caddie or NStar swaps will show you this kind of detail. And yeah, I know that some people will use pics like these to try to copy my stuff. But, I'm here to tell you that there is a lot more that goes into this than making some parts that a close to what you see here. There is a lot more thinking and planning and making the parts all work together than you might think when you just look at some pictures. I've even had people who have bought my kits try to copy them and fail.

Next installment coming soon.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
FieroJones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2002 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonesSend a Private Message to FieroJonesDirect Link to This Post
I've always wondered about how to compensate for the extra 1/2" in adapter. Is that a "deep dish" Flywheel? I thought that there would be like a 1/2" adapter plate that goes from the flywheel to flywheel (this making sense?) But from what i can see, this appears to be a much better system. Am i completely off base, or for once did i look at a picture right?

-Karl

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2002 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good. Are you having it painted and stickered like it was originally?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2002 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My7Fieros:
Lookin' good. Are you having it painted and stickered like it was originally?

Yes, it's painted the original color and I have all new stripes to put on it. Still have to restore the wheels and I may use Mr. Mike's Indy seats in it.

I'd like to make it look as good as Haze's looks... that would be cool. Then all the purests would have a fit when they saw a SBC in an otherwise perfect Indy.

Archie

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2002 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
be interesting to have the engine color scheme match the 4cyl indy engine.
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2002 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, fits of envy

(definately go for the Mr. Mikes' Lobster inset seats, they'll be awesome Even consider some similar looking white lace/diamond spoke wheels, but in a more modern 17" size (Triad?

Best!
Ben.

Originally posted by Archie:

I'd like to make it look as good as Haze's looks... that would be cool. Then all the purests would have a fit when they saw a SBC in an otherwise perfect Indy.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2002 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
wow this thing is old. Fell upon it doing a search.
Tryxalon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2002 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TryxalonClick Here to visit Tryxalon's HomePageSend a Private Message to TryxalonDirect Link to This Post
Archie - the pictures you show here, and the detail on your LT1 Stinger, are better advertising than anything you can imagine.

The care, the expertise, the "science" shows and has me now seriously considering a v8 (if the 4cylinder would ever die!!).

Hmmm.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2002 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
bump. This is very interesting. I need a job!

------------------
Adam J. B.
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero & Rumpdetective (dont ask)

poorboy86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2002 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for poorboy86Send a Private Message to poorboy86Direct Link to This Post
I am so jazzed to do my V8 swap! I fired-up the 350 on the engine stand to check out the condition of the donor before putting it in the patient (a blue 86 with cooked v6). Fire shot out of the exaust ports of the heads. That was fun! The rebuilt mini-starter, and the new performance HEI did their job. Need to solve my rusty cradle dilema.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2002 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
HELL ARCHIE........you even got me thinking of putting a V8 in my 86GT. Been thinking of a 3800sc but I might be leaning toward a
v8 swap now. Keep up the GREAT work!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2002 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Archie:

What is the model number for the Powermaster starter?

Price?

I just got your kit delivered last week and am starting to get the misc. parts now.

Wish that I had not pulled all of the harness out & off the dead 2.8... No idea where these things go now.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
bump again
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

We use Mufflers OR Cats. Not room enough for both Mufflers & Cats,
Archie

Actually, they make combo units that are both a muffler and a cat all in one. Two of these in an in-line configuration works great. It is a little loud but there is plenty of room for a true dual exhaust with 'H' pipe using this set-up.

1SWTGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2002 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1SWTGTSend a Private Message to 1SWTGTDirect Link to This Post
Any chance we can get this build, um, finished?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2002 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, this is too good a thread to let it die.

------------------

Mary Prankster
100% Rock & Roll

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Did I miss the ending?

Dam* I hate when that happens...

More?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2002 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here's hoping Archie has lots of pics of the swap still lying around and can tell us how the rest of the swap went.

------------------
--------------Forever In My Heart----------------
Jack Daniel Miller --- Dec. 29, 1925 - Oct. 14, 2002
Ruby Cantrell Miller - Jan. 20, 1932 - Aug. 31, 2002
It won't rain all the time. The Sky won't fall forever,
And tho' the night seems long, Your tears won't fall forever.

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2002 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Ye Ole' Bumpola.

------------------
1986 GT 355 Chevy 420hp

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I still didnt get to see a burn out
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
maybe this is all you get for 4g's :P
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
ARchie,

I look forward to the rest of this, I always like to watch you build.

I actually intend to do pretty much what you're doing as I build my N* since there seems to be a lack of pictures on the forum.

Unfortunately, my time span will probably be a lot like yours as some things I'm not going to show until I know they work, but there are some things that I'm working on now, like the engine build. As I get my parts accumulated, I'll start posting those pictures.

John Stricker

Yeah, sure I know...... no one else doing 3.4 or 3.8 or OHV Caddie or NStar swaps will show you this kind of detail.

Next installment coming soon.

Archie

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Archie, Do you sell already made up exhaust systems(without cat) seperate?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2003 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We I can finally get back to this project. The V-8 swap was complete a long time ago, as you know this was being built on an 84 Indy Pace Car chassis. as part of the restoration of this car, we finally had time to send the car out for an expert paint job. I got the car back from paint yesterday and we will be doing final assy. on the body and then we will turn to the interior restoration.

More reports to follow.....stay tuned.

BTW, with all the other project cars we've been working on this car will not be one of the cars we take to the shows. As such, as soon as we get it put together, I'll be putting it up for sale.

Thank you

Archie

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
MORE!

John

Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2003 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Ok Archie, 4 g's in parts but how much for you to do the swap on a automation including fuel injection and keeping it smog legal?

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
TTT
red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
I've wanted to do a SBC swap into my 88 GT for a couple of years now, so I'm following this thread closely. I've got a '69 or '70 4 bolt main LT1 engine with the Corvette w style exhaust manifolds & the starter attached. Anybody know why you need a new $189 starter ? Does the original hit something ? It's pretty close to the block & tucked under the exhaust.
FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I would like to see more pictures of this.

More and more lately I've been thinking about going LT1 in the Fiero. I have to admit the thought of a 2700 lb car with about 350-400 hp is kinda exciting to think about.

I've got a 3.4 with Gen III heads and intake I was rebuilding to get about 280hp out of, but maybe, just maybe I may go V8.

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Le bump...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock