Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that information maryjane. That is really great news except for the service companies being shut down and people going off work.
IP: Logged
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by theogre:

While you twits whining all day everyday... Meanwhile the Dr that first posted had new Virus same or worse then Sars has Died yesterday.
Was changed w/ spreading rumors etc against the PRC. If he lived that would very likely ruin his job and the rest of his live and go to prison for a long time.

https://www.theguardian.com...r-doctor-li-wenliang

Yep, old news. I believe you can go up the page to a reference I made to this story and a link to that story.

Edit: Well, looks like we started a new page now. So you will need to go back one page to where you posted and then look up several posts.

[This message has been edited by MadMark (edited 02-07-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upstream part of energy production (exploration/development/drilling) has always been a boom-bust/boom-bust/boom-bust cycle. It's nothing new..the companies are well aware of the volatile nature of the oil & gas sector.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
China speaks...

Edit:

What if the death rate is double digits? Let us say 16%. Just leaving this here for the moment...

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 02-07-2020).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two thoughts this morning.

First: it has been over a day since there has been reported changes in the number of infections from China. Are they overwhelmed or just trying to sit on the data? Not even the web page given out a couple of days ago seems to be changing.

Second: I would not like to be one of the people trapped on that cruise ship in Japan. They are all stuck in their staterooms and pretty well going nuts being confined like that. Everytime there is a new case shown on the ship they extend the quarantine for another 2 weeks. So it might end up being months before they can get off. In the mean time with their close proximity there is a possibility of catching the virus too. So it is like they are being confined in a small room, but in the end they might end up catching the virus. It really doesn't put them in a good position. Maybe a country. Maybe the US should air lift these people to one of the military bases and quarantine them there, where they can be properly isolated. So that there won't be the possibility of cross contamination.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Edit:

What if the death rate is double digits? Let us say 16%. Just leaving this here for the moment...

No one has come close to saying anything like that. 2% would be devastating enough. So until there is some actual evidence then I would not speculate and try to stir up trouble.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

Two thoughts this morning.

First: it has been over a day since there has been reported changes in the number of infections from China. Are they overwhelmed or just trying to sit on the data? Not even the web page given out a couple of days ago seems to be changing.

Second: I would not like to be one of the people trapped on that cruise ship in Japan. They are all stuck in their staterooms and pretty well going nuts being confined like that. Everytime there is a new case shown on the ship they extend the quarantine for another 2 weeks. So it might end up being months before they can get off. In the mean time with their close proximity there is a possibility of catching the virus too. So it is like they are being confined in a small room, but in the end they might end up catching the virus. It really doesn't put them in a good position. Maybe a country. Maybe the US should air lift these people to one of the military bases and quarantine them there, where they can be properly isolated. So that there won't be the possibility of cross contamination.

One of the girls on a cattle board I frequent has a father-in-law on one of the infected cruise ships.
In quarantine of course and he texts her that it is absolute misery for anyone not situated in a cabin on the outside..the cabins with windows and view of the sky/ocean. They are all ordered to stay within their cabins all day except for a few minutes a few passengers at a time to be able to get sunshine and fresh air. Last reported there were 62 confirmed cases abord the ship.

This is the most recent thing I've seen:

The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in mainland China has risen to 636, according to the country's National Health Commission.

The majority of new cases reported are in Hubei and its provincial capital Wuhan.

Some 31,161 infections have been reported across China.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-07-2020).]

Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Wouldn't the air recirculate through each room spreading the virus? It's not like each room has it's own air.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one has come close to saying anything like that. 2% would be devastating enough. So until there is some actual evidence then I would not speculate and try to stir up trouble.

Remember the risk of secondary (tertiary) infection.

2% + 2% +2%....it hasnt been around long enough to find out what the last "secondary" is....of IF there is one.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not in any way saying that my number is correct. Just something that caught my eye. I did not post to scare. Strange times we are in.

Originally posted by Fats:

Wouldn't the air recirculate through each room spreading the virus? It's not like each room has it's own air.

A cruise ship anchored directly to a major city. Gosh Beave, I sure hope that the wind does not blow?

There was in my cabin an air vacuum in the bath. It sucked up a fart from across the room with ease. But, where does that air go?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 02-07-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

No more so (and probably less so) than a large office, apartment, or other skyscraper type building would.

PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The little web site that is supposedly continuously tracking the virus, has been stuck at just over 31K for over 24 hours for infections and 636 for deaths. It has had minor bumps up one or two at time, which I would assume are the numbers coming in from outside of China. It seems like the Chinese have decided to hold back the numbers for a while, for what ever reason.

That web site is: https://gisanddata.maps.arc...40299423467b48e9ecf6

It was put on this thread by someone else a couple of days ago. Up till yesterday it seemed to track pretty regularly.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
"One of the girls on a cattle board I frequent has a father-in-law on one of the infected cruise ships.
In quarantine of course and he texts her that it is absolute misery for anyone not situated in a cabin on the outside..the cabins with windows and view of the sky/ocean. They are all ordered to stay within their cabins all day except for a few minutes a few passengers at a time to be able to get sunshine and fresh air. Last reported there were 62 confirmed cases abord the ship."

That would be miserable. And I would think it would enhance the chance of someone getting the virus that didn't have it already.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.washingtonpost....what-we-know-so-far/

"The good news is that public health officials say the new coronavirus is less deadly than SARS, which killed about 10 percent of people who were infected during the outbreak that began in 2002. "….

"The bad news is that the new coronavirus appears to spread much more easily than SARS"

“To complicate things even more, we don’t know which individuals are likely to spread the virus,” said Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. “Is it those with more-serious respiratory infections or coughing, or are those who have mild symptoms equally likely to be spreading it? I think we don’t know that at this point.”

"A case report that showed the illness could spread before symptoms occurred turned out to be incorrect, although a top U.S. official has said he still believes it can spread without symptoms, based on discussions with Chinese experts. "

"“In SARS, which is often cited as the other example, it seemed people were quite sick before they started transmitting, and that’s why, in my view, SARS was ultimately controlled,” said Marc Lipsitch, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “You really could isolate the discernibly sick people.”

***How do you treat this coronavirus illness?

There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for this infection. People who have gotten sick should receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms.

***How do you protect yourself from getting infected?

There is currently no vaccine to prevent infection. The best way to protect yourself is to use the same common-sense actions experts recommend for preventing the spread of other respiratory viruses, such as flu and cold.

=Stay away from people who are sick. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

If you don’t have access to soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Stay home when you are sick. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash. Or sneeze like a vampire, into your elbow rather than your hand. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe"

“This virus can do anything it wants,” McGeer said. “That pattern of how it’s going to spread is completely unknown, but it is critical to what the burden is going to be to all of us. "

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-07-2020).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The statistics finally changed. We are now up to 34,397 cases and 719 deaths.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the worst part of that cruise ship's 2 week quarantine is that if any new case(s) are found aboard ship (passengers or crew) it sets the quarantine clock back 2 weeks.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the worst part of that cruise ship's 2 week quarantine is that if any new case(s) are found aboard ship (passengers or crew) it sets the quarantine clock back 2 weeks.

I noticed that. That is like torture for the people on the ship. Every new case resets the clock. And having everyone in such close proximity will most likely cause more cases to pop up. It would be a nightmare for the passengers and the crew. I can't even imagine what is going through their minds. It might make be a good thing to bring them to a place where they can be separated and isolated so that their won't be any more infections occurring.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
Looking at the website that has the information on it, there is a slight chance that things are leveling off. The linear graph is starting to go linear instead of exponential. That would be a great thing meaning that the methods that the Chinese Government is taking is starting to work. I sure hope so. But, it might just be an anomaly or it might be a glitch in reporting. I would like to see a few more days of leveling off before trying to call it.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might also be what I usually expect from governments.

It's the exact same thing I used to shovel out of the horse stalls.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking at the website that has the information on it, there is a slight chance that things are leveling off. The linear graph is starting to go linear instead of exponential. That would be a great thing meaning that the methods that the Chinese Government is taking is starting to work. I sure hope so. But, it might just be an anomaly or it might be a glitch in reporting. I would like to see a few more days of leveling off before trying to call it.

NYT is reporting that an American in Wuhan has died from the virus. I can't get the article to open tho.
https://www.nytimes.com/202...ronavirus-china.html

it's been 3 days since Hudini checked in.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-08-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a woman around 60 with other health issues.

My guess is Houdini is under a VPN blackout. He said a few times he has to use one for decent internet access. But if China is really cracking down on them, you know for sure it's now all about 100% control of information.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still here but actually in Japan. I return tomorrow.

The doctor who died was worrying. The 60 year old American kind of brings it too close to home. I am 60 also but don’t have any underlying health issues. I will be happy when they get this under control.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Still here but actually in Japan. I return tomorrow.

The doctor who died was worrying. The 60 year old American kind of brings it too close to home. I am 60 also but don’t have any underlying health issues. I will be happy when they get this under control.

Do you mean you will be returning to CONUS tomorrow..or back to China?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001
??????????????

Vector??????????????
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hudini: I hope you get out of there and home soon. Stay safe.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overheard the latest local retardation this morning.

A group of millennials were sitting at the next table all excited that corona is going to wipe out millions of boomers, and they will be able to buy houses and farms for pennies on the dollar.

Right.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
You might have to log in to read this one. Interesting timeline starting with a Chinese scientist escorted out of a Winnipeg bio lab to setting up the Wuhan lab to working 4km from the seafood market.

https://www.godlike.com/forum1/message4261264/pg1
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

??????????????

Vector??????????????

"Wuhan I'm Sick Blues"
When you're down on your luck
And you ain't got a buck
In Wuhan you're a goner

Every bridge out of town
Has been shut down
'Cause of a virus called Corona

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-08-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting tired of the Coronsvirus.

Can I get a Guinessvirus instead?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2020 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you mean you will be returning to CONUS tomorrow..or back to China?

Not coming home until April. All US airlines have left me stranded here. Even if I went thru Japan I would have a quarantine for 2 weeks.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only source I've found so far, but it looks like the UN is jumping in.

https://www.intellihub.com/...e-mobilizing-the-un/

In some parts of the world maybe. Don't think it will be a very warm welcome here.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember when the UN troops brought Cholera to Haiti? Unintended consequences......
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Remember when the UN troops brought Cholera to Haiti? Unintended consequences......

That and all the rapes of the people they were supposed to protect.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Not coming home until April. All US airlines have left me stranded here. Even if I went thru Japan I would have a quarantine for 2 weeks.

Do we need to start a Go Fund Me account to get you out?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Only source I've found so far, but it looks like the UN is jumping in.

https://www.intellihub.com/...e-mobilizing-the-un/

In some parts of the world maybe. Don't think it will be a very warm welcome here.

I suspect you got that from the same place you got the fake news story regarding the nuclear plant/radiation release story.
The 12 yr old types over at GLP.
The fake "news" story about the (didn't actually happen) nuclear plant explosion in Dimitrovgrad.
https://www.godlikeproducti...1/message4261547/pg1

The UN "News" story
https://www.godlikeproducti...1/message4262494/pg1

Give us all a break will ya...we're trying to have an intelligent conversation about something that is actually happening in the world instead one that exists only in someone's warped childlike mind.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-09-2020).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw on my local news station that several thousand cruise passengers were allowed to leave the ship in Japan. If I caught the number correctly, I think they said over 4,000 were allowed to get off the ship.

Rams
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I just saw on my local news station that several thousand cruise passengers were allowed to leave the ship in Japan. If I caught the number correctly, I think they said over 4,000 were allowed to get off the ship.

Rams

I believe that cruise ship was the one in Hong Kong, not the one tied up in Japan. The one in Japan added 65 people to the list of infected. so they are in a huge escalating problem. Here is a link to an article on both.

https://news.yahoo.com/chin...-soar-022547215.html
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(Mark posted while I was looking for the article and link)

Maybe, but I think that may have been the ship World Dream, that was in Hong Kong harbor. They were released yesterday as there were no cases on board.
The one in Japan Diamond Princess, has over 120 cases of Coronavirus now.

Yet another cruise ship, Holland America's MS Westerdam, is headed for Thailand, as it was denied entry in Japan, Philippines, Taiwan and Guam.

https://www.npr.org/section...virus-cases-in-japan

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-10-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock