Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Furgal:

But as long as the boomers can double dip. and collect their s.s. and keep working those jobs will only open up when either they become to sick to still work or die. I'm sure my generation will cause the same problem for the coming generations. like the boomers that should be retired and not in the job pool are today.
You can't move up the ladder when 2/3rd of those on ladder that should've retired are still filling those rungs.
Same yoyo's that claim the youth don't want to work getting dirt, refuse to train on the job. and want/require years in the trade/field before they'll ever look at your resume."

You struck a nerve here with me. I have not ever harassed you for you inability to spell correctly or for some of your more inane statements. But, this is pissing me off.

I am 70 years old and I own my own business. I still work because I like to work. I still have bills too, so to pay off those bills I work and keep paying those bills. I am certainly not rich and I am not your problem. Your whining just really pisses me off. You couldn't even think about doing some of the things that I do. That is why people still contract with me to do projects. And just for your information the job market is great. Even here in the rust belt of Michigan companies are struggling because they cannot get enough workers, especially trained workers.

Here rent for a 1 bedroom house or apartment is around $600/month. Starting menial jobs are going for about $12/hour. You can live off of that if you choose to. You won't get rich, but you can live off of that at least here in the rust belt.

If you can get a job in some of the resurgent manufacturing companies the wages go up pretty fast. My oldest grandson just got a job at a manufacturing company and has already progress from about $16/hour to $18/hour. While working 60 to 80 hours a week. He just qualified to become an electrician and so will be going into an apprenticeship. I am very proud of him, because he is such a worker.

I am at the point where my business will be expanding. I was talking with the point people in a very competitive industry. I will be designing and building a new control system for car washes. Once we get the bugs worked out they have several car washes that they own directly and maybe 60 more that they repair and maintain. From what they were saying they will most likely have 6 to 12 car washes to put new controls in just this year alone. I have already made arrangements with a young lady (20 years old) to come on board and help me with building these panels. This will give her the opportunity to learn the trade. She is already in college on her own almost done with her electrical and mechatronic classes. She will get two associates degrees for that and have very little to pay in loans.

By the way, if you have a huge overhead of student loans then you are responsible for that, not anyone else.

So in closing quite your griping. If you want to live in a high rent area go ahead. If you cannot find a job that pays enough to get by in this economy then there is something wrong with you. And quit blaming someone else for your problems.
IP: Logged
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

That tho, is your own "little world".
The average US rent for a 1 bedroom apt is $1216, which means 1/2 the 1 bedroom apts rented for less and 1/2 rented for more. How much more (or less) depends upon in which geographical location one chooses to live. Hopefully, they are wise enough to live somewhere they can afford rent or mortage payments. If they aren't I suppose they will have to live on the street, get Govt subsidy, or live under Mommy & Daddy's roof the rest of their lives.

https://www.umovefree.com/C...eland-apartments-tx/
I and wife lived in the Kirbywood apts in 2007 and 2008. Rent at that time for a 1 bedroom apt was $525 plus electric and water. I was making $17/hr at a Kubota farm tractor dealership. There were a lot of college kids living there, working nights as wait staff in local eateries.

Some value family, and don't want to be 500-100-1500+ miles away.
So say they do move. still no jobs, oh you want a trade job, have you worked in that trade for 2-5 years already. no. sorry.
oh you're from out of state, and want to rent this unit. I'd like to call your last few landlords, oh, you didn't have any sorry.
Buddy it isn't the 60-70-80's today jobs and landlords do back ground and credit checks.
No good references or history of past rentals, you're screwed. low credit score from either debt (student loans) to income. you're screwed. And that is if you try where you are from.
be from another area/state. and those above, all land lords see is red flags.
This is reality today.
There is no more, well you look like a clean ,honest person. ya I'll rent the unit to you.
There is no more, we'll train you on the job trades jobs that you can live off of. being the pipe fitters goffer doesn't pay enough to pay the rent, vehicle bills/health insurance/ the student loan you might have hanging over your head.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Some value family, and don't want to be 500-100-1500+ miles away.
So say they do move. still no jobs, oh you want a trade job, have you worked in that trade for 2-5 years already. no. sorry.
oh you're from out of state, and want to rent this unit. I'd like to call your last few landlords, oh, you didn't have any sorry.
Buddy it isn't the 60-70-80's today jobs and landlords do back ground and credit checks.
No good references or history of past rentals, you're screwed. low credit score from either debt (student loans) to income. you're screwed. And that is if you try where you are from.
be from another area/state. and those above, all land lords see is red flags.
This is reality today.
There is no more, well you look like a clean ,honest person. ya I'll rent the unit to you.
There is no more, we'll train you on the job trades jobs that you can live off of. being the pipe fitters goffer doesn't pay enough to pay the rent, vehicle bills/health insurance/ the student loan you might have hanging over your head.

Waaaa, Waaaaa, Waaaa. Its everyone else's fault. Quit whining? The economy is in high gear and there are lots of jobs out there. If you don't qualify do something about it. Quit blaming others. That is a sure sign of a loser.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

Furgal:

But as long as the boomers can double dip. and collect their s.s. and keep working those jobs will only open up when either they become to sick to still work or die. I'm sure my generation will cause the same problem for the coming generations. like the boomers that should be retired and not in the job pool are today.
You can't move up the ladder when 2/3rd of those on ladder that should've retired are still filling those rungs.
Same yoyo's that claim the youth don't want to work getting dirt, refuse to train on the job. and want/require years in the trade/field before they'll ever look at your resume."

You struck a nerve here with me. I have not ever harassed you for you inability to spell correctly or for some of your more inane statements. But, this is pissing me off.

I am 70 years old and I own my own business. I still work because I like to work. I still have bills too, so to pay off those bills I work and keep paying those bills. I am certainly not rich and I am not your problem. Your whining just really pisses me off. You couldn't even think about doing some of the things that I do. That is why people still contract with me to do projects. And just for your information the job market is great. Even here in the rust belt of Michigan companies are struggling because they cannot get enough workers, especially trained workers.

Here rent for a 1 bedroom house or apartment is around $600/month. Starting menial jobs are going for about $12/hour. You can live off of that if you choose to. You won't get rich, but you can live off of that at least here in the rust belt.

If you can get a job in some of the resurgent manufacturing companies the wages go up pretty fast. My oldest grandson just got a job at a manufacturing company and has already progress from about $16/hour to $18/hour. While working 60 to 80 hours a week. He just qualified to become an electrician and so will be going into an apprenticeship. I am very proud of him, because he is such a worker.

I am at the point where my business will be expanding. I was talking with the point people in a very competitive industry. I will be designing and building a new control system for car washes. Once we get the bugs worked out they have several car washes that they own directly and maybe 60 more that they repair and maintain. From what they were saying they will most likely have 6 to 12 car washes to put new controls in just this year alone. I have already made arrangements with a young lady (20 years old) to come on board and help me with building these panels. This will give her the opportunity to learn the trade. She is already in college on her own almost done with her electrical and mechatronic classes. She will get two associates degrees for that and have very little to pay in loans.

By the way, if you have a huge overhead of student loans then you are responsible for that, not anyone else.

So in closing quite your griping. If you want to live in a high rent area go ahead. If you cannot find a job that pays enough to get by in this economy then there is something wrong with you. And quit blaming someone else for your problems.

Whatever you say.
You're working at 70. so your job IS your life.
you collecting s.s. while working?
12 bucks an hour will NOT allow you to rent a flat, pay the forced on you health insurance. car insurance, the bills that come with a vehicle. electric bill, food, heat.
12x40 is 480 before taxes .
348.00 take home.
1392 a month.
21 y/o health insurance (just looked at a real bill not an online quote ) non smoker male 374.72 a month
so now we are at 1017.
car insurance for a 21 y/o male no tickets. 292.18 a month
now we are at 725
you claim 600 rent. so we'll go with your number,
so now we are at 125.00 A MONTH for electric bill ,heating bill, car upkeep, fuel, food, maybe something to wear.
I left out a phone, even though it is needed today, left out cable and internet as those are not needed. left out doing anything other than going to and from work.

Sorry. MARK.
the numbers don't add up.
It your pissed at my post. get pissed at the reality. not the messenger .

Here 600 bucks only gets you a studio in the ghetto.
no one is renting a 1 bedroom apartment for that, and sure as hell isn't renting a home for that.
I'm in the rustbelt.
I work a few jobs. the year round on, is while most are at home.
I've looked into moon lighting at machine shops/ cnc machining fab shops.
unless you have 4-5 years already under your belt, they will not even talk about employment.
There is a machine shop not a mile from me. they were looking for p/t extra help. I would love to learn how to run the tools to machine engines.
I walked in, and offered to work for min wage, as I wanted to learn, and admitted that at the time I only had, have rebuilt and worked on engines, I had never bored one, line honed one, magg'd one, you get the idea.
sorry we are not looking to train . They never did fill that hire.
No idea where you're at. but here. 12 an hour isn't going to work. unless you live at home. or shack up with roommates. and the headache that brings.
but then we are back to, no one renting to you, as you have no references or units you've rented, and your credit rating is low because of income to debt ratio. from student loans. or you have no credit history at all because you've never opened a c/c and never rented anything or took out an autoloan.

back when you started out, there wasn't a data base for the landlords to look your past up, their wasn't a credit rating that you lived and died with.
you were not FORCED to buy insurance for you or hell your vehicle in a bunch of states.
you had stone simple vehicles that no one inspected and didn't have a sel. that cause you to not be legally allowed to drive it.
and have to take it to a shop to fix it as you don't have the specialized tools needed today.
being 18-28 isn't like it was in the 50-60's.
your generation forgets this ALL THE TIME!!!!

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Waaaa, Waaaaa, Waaaa. Its everyone else's fault. Quit whining? The economy is in high gear and there are lots of jobs out there. If you don't qualify do something about it. Quit blaming others. That is a sure sign of a loser.

Just like I thought.

I was commenting on what it is like for those starting out.
I'm 32 years in with the same job.
but your reply is not shocking. it was expected.
you don't want to have an adult conversation about it.
Good day.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More waaaaaa, Waaaaaaa, WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

poor, Poor, POOR ME!

You lost any respect and tolerance I had for you. LOSER!!!!!!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you get past your little world.
And look past it,
you'll see why. people still live at home
rent is crazy, Cost to get to your job is nuts, car/insurance/etc
Every bills forced on them that they can't afford, like health insurance.
Here unless you want to live in a ghetto, it is 1200 for a studio / 1400 and up for a tiny 1 bed, 1800-2400 for a 2 bed.
Then you need f/l/s AND references from your last landlord, and pass a credit check.
Most younger folks don't have any credit . but have a high income to debt ratio (student loans) so the credit rating is in the crapper.
So, just to move out , you need 4500.00 for f/l/s references that you'll not have because you've never rented before, and a low credit rating. So no one will rent to you. other than maybe in DA HOOD (ghetto).
This is reality today.
Then they have nothing to put in the unit. and because they are on the botton rails of the career ladder, can't swing , the rent and all the other bills that go with that, the student loans, the car bills to get to their job.

Ya know, I gotta be honest about this.
Every generation has it's issues but, most of them were faced by previous generations also.
We all had or have our challenges and some how got by and survived. Some times survival required us to do things we really didn't like doing. Some of that may have involved moving to different locations and/or taking jobs we really didn't want to take. Some times those situations required life style changes. It is, what it is.
There are always options.

Darwin was right, only the strong survive. I'd add to that and suggest that complaining doesn't get anything done, getting up and addressing the issues will result in far greater advances.

Rams
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E.Furgal, it must suck to be you. Why do you even try in life ? Oh wait, you don't.

I have never worked in a machine shop either. I know I could get that job. Some times you just gotta believe. What made that ant think he could move that rubber tree plant ?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More waaaaaa, Waaaaaaa, WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

poor, Poor, POOR ME!

You lost any respect and tolerance I had for you. LOSER!!!!!!

Have a good day.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have a good day.

Believe me I am having a Great Day.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Ya know, I gotta be honest about this.
Every generation has it's issues but, most of them were faced by previous generations also.
We all had or have our challenges and some how got by and survived. Some times survival required us to do things we really didn't like doing. Some of that may have involved moving to different locations and/or taking jobs we really didn't want to take. Some times those situations required life style changes. It is, what it is.
There are always options.

Darwin was right, only the strong survive. I'd add to that and suggest that complaining doesn't get anything done, getting up and addressing the issues will result in far greater advances.

Rams

True.
To a point.
I'm sure many of todays youth, if they were out on their butts, would move.

I posted the reality of today. here where I live.
And after talking with people from all over it isn't just here.
Jobs want folks that have been in the trade/field for years, they are not looking to hire and train as they go.
This isn't blowing unicorn farts, you only have to look at employment ad's.
Rent is nuts. bills for young people, but males even more so are nuts.
Many were sold a bunch of b/s and now have a huge cloud over their heads, It is criminal what high schools have told parents and students.Then they get that degree and no jobs.
The trades. same things. They are not hiring newbies. My niece even went to a vo-tec, and got All A's. no tats, no crazy hair, and no calls back.
So she is working a retail crap part time job, while she keeps looking. For cnc/fab/welding
I know what she pays in health insurance and her brother. I know what the auto insurance is costing for bare min. coverage. it is criminal.
Those that claim jobs everywhere are not reading the fine print.

And when it is listed for them. like I did in mad marks oneil's post. and the numbers don't add up.
they don't want to hear it.

Hell I'm a loser for even bring it up as far as he is concerned .

I'm glad I'm not in that boat. I'd not want to be a kid today starting out.
What I got, is all but gone. very few have jobs at the same company for 30+ years anymore and even less will going forward.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-06-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, mr furgal. I am taking no jobs from anyone. I own a business. I do things not very many people can do. Certainly not you. And I am looking forward to sharing my experience and knowledge with the younger people as my business expands. As I have done over the years that I have worked.

I do not double dip. I dip a lot more than that. I get my pension from GM where I worked for 32 years. Or at least half of it, since I am divorced and by law, my ex gets half of it. I get my Social Security too. I paid into this all of my working life and still have to pay into it too. It is something the government contracted with me for and after decades of paying into it, I get to receive some of it back every month. I also get a small amount of money from the VA for my loss of hearing that I suffered during my time spent protecting this country. And I get money from providing services to other businesses and people for a fair amount of money for things that they cannot do, or cannot find other companies to do. So I proudly do take the money from these four sources of income. It is my right to this money that allows me to profit from it. Your jealousy does not preclude me from receiving this compensation.

And just for a little bit of explanation. I have three of my own children and three step children, who I have helped out over the last 15 years to get ahead. I have spend some of my hard earned money and time supporting them and their children so that they can get their feet under them. And thankfully they are all doing well now. And I don't regret helping them out, even the months that we had my wife and I, along with my step-daughter, her husband and their 4 children living with us in our 3 bedroom house. They are now in their own apartment. Both employed and doing better than ever. And three of their children are out of the house now and making a living on their own. Tough times come and go. And I don't mind helping out those that want to help themselves.

I hope that you will soon figure out how to make it on your own. But, you need to get that chip off of your shoulder. No one, especially a business owner will put up with that attitude. I wish you well, but get over yourself.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
To help get this thread back on track.

It was reported on Fox News today that the number of known cases is now over 30,000 people. Even the little app that was posted

https://gisanddata.maps.arc...40299423467b48e9ecf6

is showing close to that 30K amount as of right now. With the Chinese economy on hold, oil prices are taking a dive. Productivity in China is way way down. Air travel to this region has tanked also. And yet, the US stock market seems to be holding up pretty well. And that may be due to the fact we (the US) don't sell much to China, so our economy is not taking a big hit. And maybe this will be an impetus for our country to gain some more manufacturing jobs.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just where am I going to get my next 110" Hi Res HDGTV LBGTQ Large Screen computer monitor from?!!!
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More news about this Wu Flu virus. The whistle blowing doctor in China who tried to warn China and the world that there was a problem has now died from the virus. The government originally charged him with rumor mongering or something to that effect. They were trying to fool the world which has made this worse.

There are other reports in this posting also, it is sort of a compilation.

https://www.theguardian.com...l-latest-update-news
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Just where am I going to get my next 110" Hi Res HDGTV LBGTQ Large Screen computer monitor from?!!!

Might be dearth of these type of products for a while and a huge price increase as supplies dwindle. But, I think I can do without some of those bells and whistles for a while.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those that claim jobs everywhere are not reading the fine print.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might be dearth of these type of products for a while and a huge price increase as supplies dwindle. But, I think I can do without some of those bells and whistles for a while.

Click to show
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another report that is disturbing. This is from Times. And it basically says that some of the outlying reports in the media are true. That there has been a concerted effort to cover up how bad it really is in China. Some of the implications from this article that at least I take, are that first it is much worse than they are reporting. There is a dearth of tests needed to confirm whether anyone has this flu or not. And from this personal part of the report that the hospitals are so overwhelmed with patients that they don't/can't even treat everyone that comes to the ER. So they end up going home to die.

https://time.com/5778994/co...hina-country-future/

From this I can surmise that the official death rate numbers are not really going to reflect reality. And neither do the official number of cases reported reflect reality. It is going to take a long time to actually figure out what the figures are in China if we can at all. The Chinese government does not want to lose face or power, but in the end it might well doom some of the politicians anyways.

So what does this portend for us in the US? I really don't know. I am watching this outbreak and have no idea of where it is going to end. Maybe China will contain the problem there. Maybe it will continue to spread in China. Maybe it will escape China and infect the whole world. Maybe it will go away when spring arrives. The Spanish Flu did in 1917, but it returned during the winter of 1918 to decimate the world. Hopefully, with our advance medical knowledge we will be able to develop a vaccine, to both help the Chinese and the rest of the world. But, for right now the infection numbers are increasing exponentially in China, no matter what figures you use.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Click to show

I am glad to see how well you have been doing over the last few years. Entrepreneurs are the life blood of this economy. Small businesses are what put people to work. Carry on and do your best to provide services for people who need your help. It is truly a free market where if you offer good/great services at a competitive price, you can do well.

I had the blessing of working for an Entrepreneur when I retired from GM. He set me free to develop my talents and I was able to help him build his business from $1 million a year in sales to $12 million. From no profit to 65% net profit and then he was able to sell this business to a huge company for $35 million. It takes vision, energy, and a lot of work to build a business. You are on your own. You don't have a union to bargain for you or to hold you back. It was the best thing I ever had a chance to participate in.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW, mr furgal. I am taking no jobs from anyone. I own a business. I do things not very many people can do. Certainly not you. And I am looking forward to sharing my experience and knowledge with the younger people as my business expands. As I have done over the years that I have worked.

I do not double dip. I dip a lot more than that. I get my pension from GM where I worked for 32 years. Or at least half of it, since I am divorced and by law, my ex gets half of it. I get my Social Security too. I paid into this all of my working life and still have to pay into it too. It is something the government contracted with me for and after decades of paying into it, I get to receive some of it back every month. I also get a small amount of money from the VA for my loss of hearing that I suffered during my time spent protecting this country. And I get money from providing services to other businesses and people for a fair amount of money for things that they cannot do, or cannot find other companies to do. So I proudly do take the money from these four sources of income. It is my right to this money that allows me to profit from it. Your jealousy does not preclude me from receiving this compensation.

And just for a little bit of explanation. I have three of my own children and three step children, who I have helped out over the last 15 years to get ahead. I have spend some of my hard earned money and time supporting them and their children so that they can get their feet under them. And thankfully they are all doing well now. And I don't regret helping them out, even the months that we had my wife and I, along with my step-daughter, her husband and their 4 children living with us in our 3 bedroom house. They are now in their own apartment. Both employed and doing better than ever. And three of their children are out of the house now and making a living on their own. Tough times come and go. And I don't mind helping out those that want to help themselves.

I hope that you will soon figure out how to make it on your own. But, you need to get that chip off of your shoulder. No one, especially a business owner will put up with that attitude. I wish you well, but get over yourself.

Clearly you didn't even read my post.
just the comment "I hope that you will soon figure out how to make it on your own" clearly shows you didn't

I have a job, 32 years in to same company.
I also do side jobs.

I was taking about what it is like for todays YOUTH. as I have watch my niece and nephew. that are 21 and 26.
going through.
If she was a male, she have a job in her field. The nephew has a engineering degree .
Neither one is lazy. both work 60+ hours a week. while hunting for job's in their field.

So, as seen as you could not be bothered to read my post.
I got nothing more to say.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-06-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

E.Furgal, it must suck to be you. Why do you even try in life ? Oh wait, you don't.

I have never worked in a machine shop either. I know I could get that job. Some times you just gotta believe. What made that ant think he could move that rubber tree plant ?

I know you are sore and maybe on meds. but
I went to apply at the machine shop for a p/t job to MOONLIGHT. and learn.
I have a full time job. same one for 32 years.
The moon lighting was to learn, and maybe down the road change careers, as I'm numb to what I do now.
They didn't want to hire someone with another job.
no matter that I am a long term employee. so it wasn't going to be an earn money for Christmas then quit type thing.
You'd not get that job, as I doubt you'd take it at a part time gig at min wage. heck you'd more than likely not even bother applying .

I saw it as away to learn. and maybe change careers.

Hope your not in to much pain. get well soon.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clearly you didn't even read my post.
just the comment "I hope that you will soon figure out how to make it on your own" clearly shows you didn't

I have a job, 32 years in to same company.
I also do side jobs.

I was taking about what it is like for todays YOUTH. as I have watch my niece and nephew. that are 21 and 26.
going through.
If she was a male, she have a job in her field. The nephew has a engineering degree .
Neither one is lazy. both work 60+ hours a week. while hunting for job's in their field.

So, as seen as you could not be bothered to read my post.

Furgal's statement: "know you are sore and maybe on meds. but
I went to apply at the machine shop for a p/t job to MOONLIGHT. and learn.
I have a full time job. same one for 32 years.
The moon lighting was to learn, and maybe down the road change careers, as I'm numb to what I do now.
They didn't want to hire someone with another job.
no matter that I am a long term employee. so it wasn't going to be an earn money for Christmas then quit type thing.
You'd not get that job, as I doubt you'd take it at a part time gig at min wage. heck you'd more than likely not even bother applying .

I saw it as away to learn. and maybe change careers."

Kind of puts the lie to what you said in the insert. I have read and I comprehend pretty well. Quit whining.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
Back to the original post:

Someone mentioned that thousands in the US die every year from regular flue. After looking it up, I found the average infection rate reported is calculated to be 49 million people. They really don't know the actual number since the CDC does not require reporting of cases of regular flue. And as most of you have had the flu before would note, most people who get the flu, just stay home for a few days get over it and don't even talk to a doctor. So let us just make the same assumption of 49 million infected with regular flu. Then the CDC says that the average flu death rate is 36k in the US. So we get to divide that 36K by the 49 million and we get 0.07% rate of death for normal flu. And that gives us 36.000 average deaths.

Let us then do a little bit of calculating for the Wu Flu. If the death rate is only 2%, and the same number of people were to get infected with it as with normal flu, we would then get 980,000 deaths. Double that if it gets to the 4% rate. I would think that might cause people to take notice.

Right now it is obvious that in China the infection rate is still in an exponential expansion mode. Even with the drastic actions by the Chinese government it doesn't seem that their tactics are having much effect. There are also quite a few reports out now by reputable news agencies that are saying that the reporting by the Chinese authorities for the number of cases and for the number of deaths is way off. So to me at least this bares watching closely. I think our government has taken appropriate measures to protect us in the US. It certainly seems reasonable to quarantine people for 2 weeks when they come from an area where the infection is raging. It also seems reasonable to me to restrict people who are not US citizens from coming to the US from areas known to be sources of Wu Flu infection.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reasonable steps, yes. BUT

Too late to do any good.

This virus had a good 10-day head start. 10 days of nTH person transmission. Of a reported 14 day incubation. It will take another week-10 days to really get a handle on the spread in the rest of the world.

Some forums have also had articles suggesting a race-specific (IE, targeting Asians ) pattern to it, but that's probably too early to identify given the demographic of the outbreak area.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Reasonable steps, yes. BUT

Too late to do any good.

This virus had a good 10-day head start. 10 days of nTH person transmission. Of a reported 14 day incubation. It will take another week-10 days to really get a handle on the spread in the rest of the world.

Some forums have also had articles suggesting a race-specific (IE, targeting Asians ) pattern to it, but that's probably too early to identify given the demographic of the outbreak area.

The reasonable steps I refer to are here in the US. I really don't know what you are doing in Canada. But, I hope your government is not too stupid about this. Or we might need to build that wall on the Northern Border too.

sarc
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Simpsons called it.

https://youtu.be/lF_hml_iIDw
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane and others more familiar with the oil industry, I have a question and a concern that I would hope you can address.

Since China is on lock down across a large portion of the countryside, their use of oil products has decreased by 20%. This is proving to glut the worldwide oil markets. I saw today that gasoline is down to $2.25 a gallon here in Mid Michigan. That is the lowest its been in a while. The worry I have is that the price of a barrel of oil will drop too far, because of this glut. By too far I mean that it will drop so far that our producers in the US will not be able to continue to make a profit and may have to shut down production on their higher cost wells. Specifically the ones that have brought about this boon in oil in the US. It was my understanding that oil prices needed to be somewhere around $60 a barrel for those type of wells to make a profit. So is this oil glut going to decimate our US oil producers? Will it cause the US to become dependent on offshore oil supplies again?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know little about oil, but found this to be cool to work with...

https://markets.businessins...s/oil-price?type=wti
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you twits whining all day everyday... Meanwhile the Dr that first posted had new Virus same or worse then Sars has Died yesterday.
Was changed w/ spreading rumors etc against the PRC. If he lived that would very likely ruin his job and the rest of his live and go to prison for a long time.

https://www.theguardian.com...r-doctor-li-wenliang
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

While you twits whining all day everyday... Meanwhile the Dr that first posted had new Virus same or worse then Sars has Died yesterday.
Was changed w/ spreading rumors etc against the PRC. If he lived that would very likely ruin his job and the rest of his live and go to prison for a long time.

Hey listen here bud, I don't whine all day. I work nights.

Brad
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Hey listen here bud, I don't whine all day. I work nights.

Brad

Besides, I hate whine. I'll stick to the beer.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

He was reported to have been arrested by the Communist Chinese government and forced to sign a statement that everything he said was false.

My strong suspicion is that he died from a a 7.62mm "virus" that was "injected" into the back of his skull at high velocity.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-07-2020).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering why all the hoopla about all of this. Why are they going to extremes to contain this and quarantine cities and people? Typical seasonal influenza in the USA along each year kills tens of thousands.

Then I seen the ratio of deaths vs infected, and that is why this virus is very scary.

In the USA, they said around 30,000 died last year from the flu, but they also estimated that 60 million people in the USA had the flu last year. That's around 0.05% of the people who get the flu will die.

The Coronavirus, the live update: 31,532 cases with 638 deaths, which equates to 2% kill ratio, but they also list of those cases 4,826 people are in critical condition in hospitals, which is 15%. It is reasonable to expect that between 5%-10% of that critical condition population may die. Which is inline from other information I've been seeing, that this could very well have a kill ratio of 10%.

So imagine in the USA that this spreads like the typical flu and 60 million people get the coronavirus. It will kill, even with hospital care, 6 million people. That's insane. That is why China and the rest of the world is going at great lengths to contain this. Let's say even the most optimistic kill ratio of 2%, which is it known to do right now, and say 100% of the people in critical condition recover. That is still 1.2 million people will die. That is still insanely high.

The coronavirus is a loc4, meaning if one person has it, they will typically spread it to at least 4 other people. So that has an exponential spread rate.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This one is scary!!!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to refund the link later, but it seems secondary infection is possible with this one. Once you recover you can catch it again.

Even the healthiest will get worn down by that. You might survive the 1st or 2nd, even the 3rd. By the 4th time around you are probably on real shaky ground.

Edit

https://news.cgtn.com/news/...HRWkxZMre/index.html

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-07-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now we are a bunch of twits?

Tell us how you really feel, ogre!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

So now we are a bunch of twits?

Tell us how you really feel, ogre!

I'm not. I've been told enough times to know I'm a ****ing azzhole.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane and others more familiar with the oil industry, I have a question and a concern that I would hope you can address.

Since China is on lock down across a large portion of the countryside, their use of oil products has decreased by 20%. This is proving to glut the worldwide oil markets. I saw today that gasoline is down to $2.25 a gallon here in Mid Michigan. That is the lowest its been in a while. The worry I have is that the price of a barrel of oil will drop too far, because of this glut. By too far I mean that it will drop so far that our producers in the US will not be able to continue to make a profit and may have to shut down production on their higher cost wells. Specifically the ones that have brought about this boon in oil in the US. It was my understanding that oil prices needed to be somewhere around $60 a barrel for those type of wells to make a profit. So is this oil glut going to decimate our US oil producers? Will it cause the US to become dependent on offshore oil supplies again?

The short and simple answer to your question is "No".

Once production of any field is established, and the infrastructure to get it to the refineries is complete, it doesn't cost much (or any) more to produce that oil than it does the more 'conventional" methods. It's development of new fields or plays that cost so much and IF the producers see a relatively long term glut or period of depressed global prices, then it's new development** that would be temporarily shelved. Additionally, this country now has a small but important excess production capacity, so it wouldn't be a matter of shutting down wells, it would just be throttling back on 'flows'.

Demand DOES tho play a big part in the price of crude oil, since it's a globally traded commodity. It's winter in the Northern hemisphere and the switch to home heating oil began in Dec, which means there is less crude refining capacity for gasoline, so it's not unusual to see gasoline retail price to spike at the beginning of winter until the refiners get a good indication of just how much needs to be made of each type fuel.

It's almost always the oilfield service companies that shut down or go belly up when prices drop, and that is currently happening. 42 US and Canadian service companies closed their doors or filed for bankruptcy protection in 2019, up 50% over 2018. These are companies that provide service, equipment or logistics to the drilling companies. Companies like Schlumberger, BakerHughes, Halliburton, National Oilwell Varco...and a lot of important but less familiar names.

** This is the type 'new development' I'm speaking of:
https://www.forbes.com/site...covery/#5f5db27c2c91
In Dec 2018, USGS released their assessment of the Wolfcamp and Bone Spring oil reserves thought to exist within the Delaware Basin in far West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. The USGS estimates that over 46 billion barrels of oil, 280 trillion cubic feet of gas, and 20 billion barrels of natural gas liquids are trapped in these low-permeability shale formations. To better understand just how staggering these numbers are, think about this: at the end of 2017, total U.S. proven reserves of crude oil hovered around 40 billion barrels. For natural gas, figures stood around 465 trillion cubic feet (tcf). The new upward revision of Permian resources represents a more than 100% and 65% increase in U.S. oil and gas reserves. In other words, the US oil and natural gas reserves have doubled due to this new reserve.

Drilling has slowed down right now, because there is no need for more oil. It's pretty easy nowadays for production to outstrip storage capacity at the big hub in Cushing Oklahoma and other places.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-07-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
The short and simple answer to your question is "No".

I am glad you answered that maryjane. I would have had the same answer but butchered the explanation.

Mark, the oilfield has always been a boom or bust industry. Feast or famine. I only popped in to add some thoughts. I have decommissioned some older rigs, some sold, some scrapped. China was a customer for both.

It seems the scrap metal they buy from the US (not just oil rigs) they melt. It seems like they cut the metal with other additives, sort of like a drug dealer cuts his product to make more quantity, and in some instances, sells it back to the USA. The US oil industry mostly will not allow it on the job.

Some rigs were reverse engineered and now has their own oil industry. I hear tell that they have their own drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and off the intercontinental boundaries of the US mainland, in the Atlantic.

I heard a news story that this virus is another incentive for China to approve our trade wars.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock