Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 23)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2020 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going rate here adds a carton of smokes to that... now where did I put my lighter...
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SPAIN: "T-rex" gets told off and sent back to quarantine by police in Murcia

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-21-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trump just managed to say "China" about a dozen times in the span of about 20 seconds. I couldn't stop laughing.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-21-2020).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.facebook.com/pr...5jI9uUQpsUrw&fref=nf

Some interesting comments and numbers put forth by Dr. Scott Jensen who is also a Senator in the Minnesota legislature.

I went to high school with Scott and was on the golf team with him.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks GTJeff, but I don't have a FB account.
What, if you don't mind, is the gist of his thoughts on Covid-19 and the response/reaction?
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scott Jensen

Today, March 21, I am going to provide four videos trying to address concerns people have asked me about. I understand these are touchy times and people seem to get irritated or vexed easily. I would encourage all of us to avoid being snarky and instead try to be kind and thoughtful - these are challenging days for all of us. Please share these videos as you choose.
The topics will be capabilities in medicine, Covid-19 treatment and vaccination, courage and risk of inadvertently overreaching, and analysis of the Wuhan, China outbreak.

Here is his first video. Don't know if you will be able to play it or not

https://www.facebook.com/10...os/1075126709552983/

If it works, I will plug in the others.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Italy lost over 600 on the 19th and right at 800 on the 20th.

They are on day 14 of their lockdown, and no peak in sight.
They pooh poohed the risk and seriousness of it at first, thought lock downs and border closings to be racist and now are paying the price..had too many border crossings to deal with and that helped spread it all over southern Europe. Their French and Spanish neighbors aren't doing too well either, in great part, thanks to Italy's slow response. This same outcome, is exactly what we are trying to avoid in North America.

USA has moved up to #3 globally and today has more 'new cases' than Italy.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-21-2020).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not too many city folk have a diesel generator tucked away for a rainy day.

Having said that, I do happen to have a small generator buried somewhere in my basement. It's a two-stroke model. I picked it up for a song brand new on Craigslist a few years ago. Before I actually need it, maybe I should try starting it up! What the heck is the gas to oil ratio again?

That Sir is precisely what I’m talking about. Having fresh fuel available and knowing that generator will do what it was designed to do.

Rams
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaryJane looks infected.

Quarintine yourself from this forum
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
That Sir is precisely what I’m talking about. Having fresh fuel available and knowing that generator will do what it was designed to do.
Rams

I might also say that one would be surprised at the amount of fuel needed to run a generator.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DO AS I SAY! What do we need to do?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For weeks, Liberty County officials crossed their fingers crossed in hopes that they would be able to avoid the tide of counties reporting coronavirus cases, but late Saturday night, the first case was reported.

The female is in the 40-50 age range and the source of the infection is being investigated. The victim is currently experiencing mild symptoms and isolating at home.

https://www.chron.com/neigh...us-case-15148730.php
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark Here:

COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

One other metric that no one is talking about is the rate of infection per million, China is 56.1, Italy is 206.1, Iran 107.2 and South Korea is 151.3. Compare that to the US of A, is 3.4, obviously the US has done something right so far. I think that is pretty amazing considering how connected the US is to the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

Current rate of infection per million - USA is 3.9 and Canada is 2.7

Those two posts were from only 11 days ago. Click on Mark's excellent link and check the current figures. Dammit guys, all kidding aside, I'm very concerned with what I'm seeing for the USA right now!

Current rate of infection per million - USA is 101 and Canada is 39

You've got to wonder how these kids (college students?!!) can be so freakin'... misinformed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-22-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Related...
Do these work on viruses? (or on anything else?)
Worth the cost and effort or no?

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Related...

UV does kill all kinds of things, virus' included. But, I am not sure that thing is strong enough to make a difference. I think it is a marketing ploy. Take a little nugget of information that is true and try to extend it out and sell it.

We had a very strong UV light as the last thing in our DI water system when I was the engineer at a foam plant. We had it because our water was extremely pure, something like 3 orders of magnitude cleaner than medical grade. We needed it that clean for use with the silicon chip industry as cleaning wipes.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You've got wonder how these kids (college students?!!) can be so... misinformed.

Patrick...Patrick...Patrick...

Young people think they are bulletproof and invisible.
So did I (and still do to some extent).
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Young people think they are bulletproof and invisible.

Even if they were... they're potentially carrying the virus back to their less than bulletproof parents and grandparents.

So did I (and still do to some extent).

Don, perhaps I could interest you in watching this video. Seriously, it's quite informative.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Related...

The short answer is YES, UV light does indeed work to kill bacteria and virus pathogens.

The longer answer starts with "it depends".

It depends on the intensity of the UV light and the duration that light is exposed to objects and surfaces.

It depends if the UV light can penetrate where it needs to get to.

Anecdotally, I have a UV light system incorporated into my home HVAC system and that bulb is incredibly BRIGHT and can blind in you in seconds. It is housed inside of a sealed box connected to the outlet side of my air handler. It operates automatically with the fan.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-22-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Don, perhaps I could interest you in watching this video. Seriously, it's quite informative.

Thanks for the video!
Watched it, and yes, very informative and you would think most people already know most of this at the current stage of the game, but I have seen in the last 24 hrs, several people claiming the reason agencies want the curve flattened out is to provide more infected patients for a longer period of time to increase hospital revenues. Morons!

As the for the young people infecting their own families, you have to remember they are thinking first and foremost thru raging hormonal inputs.

The video did leave something out tho.
It of course mentioned coughing and sneezing and how long the virus might live on hard surfaces, but every single time we speak, even tho we don't realize it, we eject tiny droplets from our mouths. Say the letter "P". Think about how your lips formed that letter or a word like "speak" to make that sound. Say the letter "T". On top of that, most of us do most of our speaking "on the exhale" of our normal breathing. We usually don't see these tiny droplets and they aren't ejected with the same force as in a sneeze or cough, but they are there none the less, adding to the force that forming certain letters and words natually incurs. It's not just air that is coming from our lips...microbes are there too..not in the air, but in the tiny droplets that are expelled with the air, and especially when we speak certain words and letters. These "normally ejected' little droplets can and do spread diseases. They don't travel far, but often, it's far enough to help infect another person.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...every single time we speak, even tho we don't realize it, we eject tiny droplets from our mouths.

Good point!

Same message, but with a catchy tune. Sing it, Don!

(I think that's a baby's bum, so it shouldn't be "risque".)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-22-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a bright side to all of this.

All the protestors are back home in mommies basement. Things are nice and quiet. At least until the riots start.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be a false hope but a respected French doctor has used a combination of anti-malaria drug and Azithromycin antibiotic to reduce the virus load in sick folks in 6 days.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Might be a false hope but a respected French doctor has used a combination of anti-malaria drug and Azithromycin antibiotic to reduce the virus load in sick folks in 6 days.

I read the report on that a few days ago elsewhere.
The 'study group' was a pretty small sampling size. 20 control and 16 patients that actually took the drugs. Median age of the active group was 54.

It's been discussed somewhere here in this thread...pages back.
Promising, but the results have to be repeatable if the French study is be meaningful.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chinavirus...

Martial Law in 3... 2... 1...

My Wife has "travel papers". Paper work was given to her on Friday in regards to necessary travel due to her position and importance to battle this virus.

My ex works ICU and is in charge of part of the Chinavirus unit. They went FULL BEEKEEPER yesterday. (They have not lost one Chinavirus patient at the moment.)

When it comes to the decisions that this virus is making actually occur, and when you hear of what I heard last night, you will stay and shelter in place.

It is bad folks. Stay safe, and follow the gawd dammned rules for just this once. Do not be an idiot. Not now.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-23-2020).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008

Again, and moments later even, do not be an idiot right now. Please follow the rules. This will pass, but it can get much worse than I had thought.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This week is going to be very 'difficult' to digest.

March 22 (GMT)
9339 new cases and 117 new deaths in the United States

March 21 (GMT)
4824 new cases and 46 new deaths in the United States

March 20 (GMT)
5594 new cases and 49 new deaths in the United States

March 19 (GMT)
4530 new cases and 57 new deaths in the United States

March 18 (GMT)
2848 new cases and 41 new deaths in the United States

March 17 (GMT)
1748 new cases and 23 new deaths in the United States

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

When it comes to the decisions that this virus is making actually occur, and when you hear of what I heard last night, you will stay and shelter in place.

Is this like when there are aliens, and the government is too scared to tell us the truth ?

Why don't you ? Whistle blowers are protected.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest thing I see going on right now is that we are on the exponential increase side of the curve. it will take at least a couple of weeks for this curve to flatten out no matter what we do. Why? Because of the lag in between the time you are infected and when it is recognized as you being sick. There is also going to be a lag in time from when people are noted as having the virus and the occurrence of deaths. So the number of deaths will most likely go up exponentially also. So in my estimation it will be at least a week before we start to see the infection curve flatten out. (that is a best case scenario) and then about another week to two weeks for the death curve to flatten out. Unless we stumble across a drug or combination of drugs that will be able to treat those infected. And we do have some promising possibilities on that front.

So, be hopeful, but be cautious. Most of us on Pennocks fit at least one of the criteria for other problems that intensify the effects of Covid-19. So it is critical for us to do our best to take care of ourselves by isolating and distancing.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Is this like when there are aliens, and the government is too scared to tell us the truth ?

Why don't you ? Whistle blowers are protected.

Or, go about your day. I gave advice. Take of it what you will.

Whistle blower? Keep reaching for those stars.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on my phone so maybe someone can google it, but apparently there are studies emerging that some blood types have a higher natural resistance than others.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
I'm on my phone so maybe someone can google it, but apparently there are studies emerging that some blood types have a higher natural resistance than others.

What 'cha gonna do ? Change your blood type ?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2020 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

What 'cha gonna do ? Change your blood type ?

Yup. Head to the beer store and change it from type Guinness to type Corona. Get me 100â„… immunity.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I have heard that as well. Type "O" is supposed to be the most resistant. Supposedly.

Aside from all that... It occurs to me that if we had been working for a cure for the common cold (which is also a flavor of Corona virus) we may have been able to stop this.
Only saying that because cold viruses mutate so frequently, that if anything was effective, it would have to "work around" the mutation, and attack the "root cause".
Probably overly simplistic, but what the hell... right?

Put another way, if they come up with a treatment for this, they might actually come up with cure for a cold.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-23-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have heard that as well. Type "O" is supposed to be the most resistant. Supposedly.

Aside from all that... It occurs to me that if we had been working for a cure for the common cold (which is also a flavor of Corona virus) we may have been able to stop this.
Only saying that because cold viruses mutate so frequently, that if anything was effective, it would have to "work around" the mutation, and attack the "root cause".
Probably overly simplistic, but what the hell... right?

Put another way, if they come up with a treatment for this, they might actually come up with cure for a cold.

Do you think the pharma companies haven't been trying to find a cure for the common cold and doing so for years?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The things some people do just leave me absolutely speechless:
AZ man dead after taking fish tank cleaner to prevent coronavirus infection

Medical exerts with Banner Health are warning the public against using inappropriate medication and household products to prevent or treat coronavirus.

The warning by Banner Health comes after after an Arizona man in his 60s died from taking a substance used to clean fish tanks at aquariums in order to prevent contracting COVID-19.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

The things some people do just leave me absolutely speechless:
AZ man dead after taking fish tank cleaner to prevent coronavirus infection
[QUOTE]
Medical exerts with Banner Health are warning the public against using inappropriate medication and household products to prevent or treat coronavirus.

The warning by Banner Health comes after after an Arizona man in his 60s died from taking a substance used to clean fish tanks at aquariums in order to prevent contracting COVID-19.

Use of a good gene pool cleaner is not always a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-23-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you think the pharma companies haven't been trying to find a cure for the common cold and doing so for years?

HaHa no.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock