Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 21)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SARS infected 8,437

Mers infected 2,499 world wide.

Covid-19, in about 3 1/2 months has infected over 100,000.
And you think the response for Covid-19 should be comparable to SARS/MERS?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-17-2020).]

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

...my perspective is the whole exercises is a lot like sealing leaks in a sinking boat but deliberately leaving enough leaks for it to sink anyway, just at a slower rate.

The "slower rate" makes a HUGE difference when it comes to hospitals being able to handle the wave of patients requiring ventilators due to secondary respiratory issues. Seniors and/or smokers will be among those most affected by COVID-19.

I thought this article posted earlier did a very good job of explaining why immediate steps need to be taken.

Originally posted by MadMark:

Here is a great article that not only talks about the different scenarios of handling the virus. It actually simulates it to visually show what we are trying to accomplish by social distancing.

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-17-2020).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI...

Schools closed. Child care at schools is open. You can send your kid to child care with the rest of the students, just teaching will not happen.

I got my Son for the next 6 plus weeks. Schooling, physical education, and health will continue without public schooling. I have planned to have kids over for camping and hiking trips. We will need essentials, but will survive without anything other than knowledge and ability.

Plan out this next few months. Sit down, write down what it is you will need to survive, and use this as a tool to better yourselves.

I would not go around randomly touching things.

Stay safe.
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

FYI...

Schools closed. Child care at schools is open. You can send your kid to child care with the rest of the students, just teaching will not happen.

I got my Son for the next 6 plus weeks. Schooling, physical education, and health will continue without public schooling. I have planned to have kids over for camping and hiking trips. We will need essentials, but will survive without anything other than knowledge and ability.

Plan out this next few months. Sit down, write down what it is you will need to survive, and use this as a tool to better yourselves.

I would not go around randomly touching things.

Stay safe.

That's another thing they are doing here that makes no sense to me.

They pull all the kids out of school because it's dangerous. Then they have all the kids go to "not school" where they will basically be in daycare.

Is the Kung Flu scared of learning? Is that the key? Seriously though. Don't get into groups, but because we can't get into groups we are going to have groups gathering.
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fats

5565 posts
Member since Jan 2012

Originally posted by maryjane:

SARS infected 8,437

Mers infected 2,499 world wide.

Covid-19, in about 3 1/2 months has infected over 100,000.
And you think the response for Covid-19 should be comparable to SARS/MERS?

I remember being told that SARS was going to kill us all and that it was the end of humanity.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2020 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those of us with school aged children should get in touch with other parents. Keep in touch with folks over the phone. Children need attention. I do plan on making our home open to play dates.

Now is a good time to get to know your kids.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:
I remember being told that SARS was going to kill us all and that it was the end of humanity.

Do you remember what person (or persons) told you? If it was something that you read, do you remember the venue, such as "FOX News"; etc; or the kind of venue, such as "left leaning or progressive political blog or email chain"; etc.?

It's an obvious question for a newly arrived visitor from another planet, and when I consider my station in life, I'm not that different from what could be imagined as a newly arrived visitor from another planet.

Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Do you remember what person (or persons) told you? If it was something that you read, do you remember the venue, such as "FOX News"; etc; or the kind of venue, such as "left leaning or progressive political blog or email chain"; etc.?

It's an obvious question for a newly arrived visitor from another planet, and when I consider my station in life, I'm not that different from what could be imagined as a newly arrived visitor from another planet.

Are you saying that you don't remember any of this? Is that your claim? I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't know anything about that part of our history.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just had to save that statement for posterity....👍🏼👍🏼
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you saying that you don't remember any of this? Is that your claim? I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't know anything about that part of our history.

Yes, I do remember some TV news coverage about SARS. But I do not remember anywhere near the same high levels of anxieties and concerns being communicated to me by the TV news coverage on SARS. Were there frequent statements about it from the President or other high ranking federal officials? I'm sure there were statements, but was the outreach to the public in terms of communications from the President and other federal officials of anywhere near the magnitude that this has reached?

I certainly don't remember ever having the feeling that I was being led to believe by what could be called "mainstream media" that SARS was an existential threat to the U.S. public health or U.S. economy of the kind that we are experiencing now.

I think that Fats is setting up a kind of "straw man" argument; i.e., speaking off an equivalence between SARS coverage and Novel Coronavirus coverage (one of the names for it) that isn't actually any reasonable kind of equivalence, when you go back in time to look at the SARS episode as it was being covered during that time.

Could it be, though, that my recollection is not very accurate?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-17-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't remember any reasonable person or agency or medical team saying that. Maybe on one of the conspiracy theory websites that MeM hangs out on tho.
Talk radio IMO, was bigger back then, (yes, it's been 16 years) so maybe some of those would-be shock jocks may have played it up a lot but I never really listened to talk radio much.

America had only 27 total cases and no deaths inside the USA.
(one American contracted it in China while employed there as a teacher and died there--James Earl Salisbury and another with dual citizenship ..Johnny Chen contracted it in China and developed symptoms while on a plane and was admitted to a hospital in Hanoi Vietnam where he later died.

Looking back thru PFF OT archives for that 1 November 2002 – 31 July 2003 time period, I was unable to find much on it...no thread with Sars/sars/SARS in the title, but did see a lot about mad cow disease and H1N1.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-17-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's another thing they are doing here that makes no sense to me.

They pull all the kids out of school because it's dangerous. Then they have all the kids go to "not school" where they will basically be in daycare.

"all the kids"?

I suspect the difference is that when schools are open, kids are required (or at least expected) to attend... whereas attendance at the "not school" is no doubt optional, but is made available for kids whose parents are working during the day.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#1 reason for pulling the kids out of school is to protect the teachers and other staff. Kids aren't much at risk (tho I suppose they can bring the virus in) but adults are at risk.

As of this morning, burger joints here are now drive-thru only.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say....Russia has very few cases of the virus........I wonder why? Maybe because they are the only Christian country in the world? That is what Fox always states......
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, you nailed it..that's the reason.....
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2020 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I very clearly remember SARS. I was working the ramp at the northern FBO at YYZ.

To us it was just a day at work, and all the American crews and passenger were getting off the planes wearing dust masks and having melt-downs if anyone, including customs, got within 10 feet of them.

Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I get it. No questions need to be asked and I'm stupid for asking anything.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you asked a question, I missed it.
What was the question?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

???

"Questions" definitely aren't frowned upon. I just wish we had all the answers!

IMO everyone's been remarkably civil in this thread (at least lately)... especially considering that civilization as we know it is crumbling around us!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2020 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh. I was never that civilized anyways. Just been pretending all these years.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The mayors of Phoenix and Tucson have ordered all bars and restaurants to cease dine in service. This is going to seriously hurt a lot of small business owners.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Michigan and other states shut the bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc down yesterday.

Carryout or drive-thru only, no eat-in dining.

Makes it tough to have a green beer on St. Patrick's Day.....
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2020 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something just occurred to me about how useless this social distancing and self isolation is for millions of hi rise dwellers.

For those that don't know, the building systems in them is designed to maintain a higher pressure in hallways than individual units. That way hallway air is always flowing into the units.

Now with this quarantine, anybody walking down the hall shedding virus is simply contaminating each unit they pass. At least for those buildings, isolation isn't going to help squat. It's a feel-good measure and not much more.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carry out or drive through. I’ve been doing that for months. Get with the program peeps!

Seriously though, get online pay so you don’t have to handle cash.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hudini

9029 posts
Member since Feb 2006
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's 60.8 million cases and more than 12 thousand deaths across the U.S. over the course of a full year (April 2009 to April 2010), for the H1N1 pandemic when President Obama was in office.

This COVID-19 pandemic is only just getting started here, in the U.S.

The last week will (hopefully) be looked upon, from a future perspective, as an inflection point on the timeline of how the U.S. has responded, when efficient and wide-ranging Covid-19 testing of the U.S. population started to take hold.

Is there a coherent explanation from the "U.S. Committee for the Promotion of Trump and the Prevention of Obama" about the rollout of testing for the U.S., which has, up to this point, been reminiscent of a 2.5L 4-cylinder Fiero being accelerated to freeway speed over the length of a shorter than average Interstate entrance ramp? An explanation that adds to the luster of Trump's reputation in the Leadership category, or if not that, then an explanation that doesn't significantly subtract from that reputation?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-18-2020).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And what were you expecting to happen in 3 months from the discovery of a new virus? 330 million test kits already to go in some secret government facility?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

And what were you expecting to happen in 3 months from the discovery of a new virus? 330 million test kits already to go in some secret government facility?

Based on the above posting, I have to conclude that what the Dems are telling me about the Trump Administration’s reaction and activities being too little and too late may be politically motivated........ Nah,,,, No Way would they do that.....

Rams
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Carry out or drive through. I’ve been doing that for months. Get with the program peeps!

Seriously though, get online pay so you don’t have to handle cash.

It's already hurting me not do much for the coffee, but the wifi. My habit since moving here has been grab a coffee and hit send/receive to transfer new work and deliver stuff done for the few clients I held onto.

It's real limited the number of places i can get a signal sitting in the trunk, and those spaces as of this morning have line-ups to get at them. (About 1/2 this county is too rural to have home internet. Choices are satellite or public)
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can make a focused antenna from a Pringle's can.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tightening up the border. It's now essential travel only.

https://nationalpost.com/ne...tter_impression=true
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I woke up this morning!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's 60.8 million cases and more than 12 thousand deaths across the U.S. over the course of a full year (April 2009 to April 2010), for the H1N1 pandemic when President Obama was in office.

This COVID-19 pandemic is only just getting started here, in the U.S.

The last week will (hopefully) be looked upon, from a future perspective, as an inflection point on the timeline of how the U.S. has responded, when efficient and wide-ranging Covid-19 testing of the U.S. population started to take hold.

Is there a coherent explanation from the "U.S. Committee for the Promotion of Trump and the Prevention of Obama" about the rollout of testing for the U.S., which has, up to this point, been reminiscent of a 2.5L 4-cylinder Fiero being accelerated to freeway speed over the length of a shorter than average Interstate entrance ramp? An explanation that adds to the luster of Trump's reputation in the Leadership category, or if not that, then an explanation that doesn't significantly subtract from that reputation?

You missed the salient point. The timeline and # cases and deaths is far less important than the fact that MSM gave President Obama a pass the entire timeline whereas they are pounding President Trump for this outbreak and the public is reacting according to what they read on MSM.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I woke up this morning!

Feelin round for my shoes.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19281 posts
Member since Mar 2009

You missed the salient point. The timeline and # cases and deaths is far less important than the fact that MSM gave President Obama a pass the entire timeline whereas they are pounding President Trump for this outbreak and the public is reacting according to what they read on MSM.

As I was reading this, the president's daily press briefing was just moving to the Q/A period and the first question from the peanut gallery was "Isn't it racist to call it the Chinese virus?". Apparently, that is what the nation needs to know. Our survival depends on it.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly Willie.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Ford/GM/Chry to shut down all US production because of Covid19.

Detroit — Ford Motor Co. will close all of its plants in North America starting Thursday evening through March 30, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday.

All of Detroit's three automakers have agreed to close plants due to worker fears about the coronavirus, according to two sources familiar with the talks. It wasn't immediately clear how long plants would be closed or the number of them.

“We’re continuing to work closely with union leaders, especially the United Auto Workers, to find ways to help keep our workforce healthy and safe – even as we look at solutions for continuing to provide the vehicles customers really want and need, Kumar Galhotra, Ford’s president of North America, said in a statement. “In these unprecedented times, we’re exploring unique and creative solutions to support our workforce, customers, dealers, suppliers and communities.”

https://www.detroitnews.com...acturing/2863150001/
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ford/GM/Chry to shut down all US production because of Covid19.

https://www.detroitnews.com...acturing/2863150001/

I highly doubt this will have much effect on car/truck sales, but it will certainly be good to keep people separated for a few weeks.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

I highly doubt this will have much effect on car/truck sales, but it will certainly be good to keep people separated for a few weeks.

Sales probably not, but repairs will suffer. GM just got fully back up and running after the last UAW strike (supply chain wise). Warehouse personal will most likely get the same agreement, which means parts don't ship to dealers, which means customers vehicles can't be repaired. The DM for my area called me this am and wanted me to increase my order by a considerable amount just in case the above were to happen.

dan

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No link yet. Just watched a news conference with Doug Ford. He is basically putting Ontario on wartime footing.

Auto plants retooling to produce medical equipment, restaurant moving to catering for hospitals, shelters, etc, changing supply chain logistics. Given he knows more than we do I'd say he is expecting this to last a long time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock