Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Now the true agenda behind all this panic surfaces.

https://www.washingtonexami.. .uLJWAeibzsKOVGq-fxUs

And that's how it's going to go. City by city via executive order and the bylaws of the corporation of the city of screw you. Just a simple matter of tweaking the business licencing bylaws.

Never let a crisis go to waste....
IP: Logged
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2020 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

source for that information please.

Originally posted by randye:

I assume that you mean Jubilant HollisterStier.

Since JH is chiefly a contract manufacturer and does not engage in their own bio-research, I would like to know the source of your info.

I know an individual that works there. Sorry if I got the details and spelling incorrect. A vaccine is available regardless of my misinformation.

Stay safe...

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-14-2020).]

Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why does Washington State have so many deaths attributed to this? The average across the country should be less than half a person per state (not counting Washington.)

What is going on over there?

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Why does Washington State have so many deaths attributed to this? The average across the country should be less than half a person per state (not counting Washington.)

At the moment there are no deaths on the right side of the state. Only the left side.

I am only speculating, but the populace is very compacted there, more folks travel in and out of country for business or pleasure, and the amount of old folks residencies in the area.

We have a pathogen unit in my county. I did not panic.

Staffing at our hospitals is beginning to be overworked. MANY OF THE NECESSITIES for staff to do their jobs is lacking. Nurses have refused to enter rooms without proper gear.

Again, stay safe. Help your friends, family, and neighbors.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is because of two things. The virus kills at a higher rate for older and medically compromised people. The second thing would be that it started in an old folks home. That is why the death rate is so high in Washington State. Now that most of those patients have either died or recovered the death rate in Washington State should stabilize.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark answered it already, but visitors to the long term care facilities were also infected and they in turn spread it around in the outside world too

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-14-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am relatively new to my job, 8 months or so.
I know of 4 people that have been out of the country in the past 3 months.

2 have been to China, 1 to Japan and 1 just got back from the Philippines
Those are the people I know of in the small group of employees that I work with.
The company has stopped all business travel but is not tracking personal travel.
Chinese new year was big where I work and several people were talking about it in the break room but I don't know if they traveled to China.
Then the treats and open food started showing up in the break room, I don't each community food.

The employ that went to Japan has had a sick child and stayed home for several days.
Every now and then I see him in the office but avoid talking to him.

I believe the number of cases on the west coast is due to the ethnic back grounds of the population.
It is what it is...

Last week I started working from home, more because out of the 4 of us on the team 2 of them were already working from home. (taking advantage, they just stopped coming in)
So I pressed the issue and now all of us are working from home, I do need to go into the office on Monday as I need to pick up some things that I didn't take home last time I was there.

While I am not worried I am cautious. There is no need to expose myself or girlfriend if there is no need.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a bit of regular shopping today. Across 2 cities anything panic related is sold out. Regular groceries were just fine, and I even got some damn good deals on meats. Smoke shop was a little low on stock.

The surprising part, with all the panic-press going on is traffic was light and the line-ups at checkout were pretty short.

No, I didn't get any t.p. but rather opted for a couple new 60- grit belts for the sander.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2020 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
This one is a little..... strange.

https://www.chathamdailynew...ese-to-cancel-masses

I don't do the whole religion thing, but to the best of my knowledge they haven't shut up shop in something like 2000 years give or take.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
I know an individual that works there. Sorry if I got the details and spelling incorrect. A vaccine is available regardless of my misinformation.

Stay safe...

I'm sure CDC would be VERY interested to hear of this.
You need to give them a call.
Contact Us
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30329 USA
800-CDC-INFO | (800-232-4636) | TTY: (888) 232-6348
Contact CDC-INFO

As of 5pm Central time, CDC reports there is no known, tested, or proven vaccine for Covid-19.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Store hours to change (some already have)
https://www.usatoday.com/st...-changes/5051282002/
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the previous 2 weeks in USA.

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Store hours to change (some already have)
https://www.usatoday.com/st...-changes/5051282002/

That's a bummer on cutting the store hours. I am doing a soft isolation right now to help protect my 90 year old MIL. Aif I was to go to the store it would be in the middle of the night when there would be less people.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, that doesn't explain Washington at all. 30+ people died from a virus in a nursing home that has only killed 5,833 people worldwide, and nobody thinks that is a bit odd?

Other parts of the country are just as compact, if not more so. 40 is way out of the "norm" for deaths in the U.S. The next highest is 5. Either something is wrong with the way Washington is reporting, or there is something wrong with the way every other state in the Union is reporting. Perhaps a mixture of both? Washington is also reporting the highest number of infections in the country at 642, but NY is very close behind at 613. NY has 2 deaths.

There are Nursing Homes across the country, and some of them even get visitors.

There are Asian populations elsewhere in the country as well.

[This message has been edited by Fats (edited 03-15-2020).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure CDC would be VERY interested to hear of this.
You need to give them a call.
Contact Us
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30329 USA
800-CDC-INFO | (800-232-4636) | TTY: (888) 232-6348
Contact CDC-INFO

As of 5pm Central time, CDC reports there is no known, tested, or proven vaccine for Covid-19.

I am not a moron. I am not known on this forum as a liar. An azzhole, but no liar.

You have a PM

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-15-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't say or infer you were lying Tony. I was serious. CDC needs to know this. The public needs to know it........ to allay some of this fear and uncertainty. CDC said Friday there was no vaccine and it would be at least months before there was one.

March 13, 2020From the print edition

In a tall building on the outskirts of downtown Seattle, a group of scientists from the University of Washington’s Institute for Protein Design huddle in front of computers, concentrating on their screens. Using a special program, they’re tinkering with building blocks of proteins, taking the first of many steps to develop a vaccine for the new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2.

Creating a working vaccine is challenging and will likely take over a year, at best.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/...ine-against-covid-19

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-15-2020).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2020 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't say or infer you were lying Tony. I was serious. CDC needs to know this. The public needs to know it........ to allay some of this fear and uncertainty. CDC said Friday there was no vaccine and it would be at least months before there was one.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/...ine-against-covid-19

Right on.

I am serious. The CDC does know this. I agree, the public needs to know this.

"...at least a month before there was one." You nailed the time frame that I am hearing. 3 weeks to a month.

I do not know the reasons for any of this. I want all of us to be safe. All of us. Unlike those wishing ill on our President, I want each and every one of us to follow procedures and not worry. But, panic and the fear being portrayed through our "informative" Plastic Media is not making this easy for many.

Toilet Paper... Go at 4:30 am. (I mean pick it up then.)
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the interview I listened to Friday, they said "at least months"..plural.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2020 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

According to the interview I listened to Friday, they said "at least months"..plural.

Bonjour! Because the internet is the most informative creature to walk this planet.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-15-2020).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the Netherlands is in total lockdown.

All schools, restaurants, bars, coffeeshops must close immediately and stay closed until at least april 6th. Private parties are forbidden. People are asked to stay home. When you do go out, keep at least 5 feet distance from other people.

My opinion? The world has gone mad.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, the world is mad. But, I can understand the thoughts of your government. They are probably looking at what happened in Italy. Where the onset of this Covid-19 virus has come on so fast and hard that they cannot provide proper care to all of the seriously sick patients. Most everyone below 50 years of age will just get a typical cold like flu. But, those that are medically compromised or over 70 have high risk of this flu turning into something serious. And if it does then they need to be put on ventilators. There are a limited number of those ventilators in any country. It doesn't matter what kind of health care system you have, you have limited resources. If you have a fast onset of people with the virus those that get the serious version (biased highly to older people) then the medical people will need to make Triage type decisions on who to use the ventilators on and who is going to die without the ventilators.

That being said, I think this has been way over hyped by the media, for their own reasons. And some of the politicians have entered into those type of games too. I really believe a large percentage of us will get this virus in the end. But, limiting the peak numbers with the serious version of it will do a lot to help people through these initial stages of it.
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a great article that not only talks about the different scenarios of handling the virus. It actually simulates it to visually show what we are trying to accomplish by social distancing.

https://www.washingtonpost....homepage%2Fstory-ans
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure this is necessary: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/n...-commercial-vehicles

Friday, March 13, 2020

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issued a national emergency declaration to provide hours-of-service regulatory relief to commercial vehicle drivers transporting emergency relief in response to the nationwide coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. This declaration is the first time FMCSA has issued nation-wide relief and follows President Trump issuing of a national emergency declaration in response to the virus.

“Because of the decisive leadership of President Trump and Secretary Chao, this declaration will help America’s commercial drivers get these critical goods to impacted areas faster and more efficiently. FMCSA is continuing to closely monitor the coronavirus outbreak and stands ready to use its authority to protect the health and safety of the American people,” said FMCSA Acting Administrator Jim Mullen.

The declaration: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/e...ss-39023-no-2020-002

The regulation: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bi...5.390#se49.5.390_123

Regulatory guidance: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/r...tle49/section/390.23

This part used to be the source of a lot confusion and misinformation among drivers. It could easily get some people into of trouble.

Concern over TP aside, I am not sure we are experiencing serious and widespread shortages of essential products.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-15-2020).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF now has at least 9 directly, and indirectly, virus related threads here in O/T and yet we have not read even ONE post from anyone who has verifiably contracted the virus, has contracted the virus and has recovered or even anyone who has an immediate or extended family member infected or exposed.

I'm absolutely NOT alleging that the disease isn't real or that proper precaution isn't wise.

I'm just mildly amazed that with the number of PFF members and how far flung we all are that wee haven't had a single illness report, (yet?).

To the inevitable pedantic school marm that now just MUST point out the total number of reported cases, please, just SAVE IT. I know the numbers and that WASN'T my point.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-15-2020).]

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF now has at least 9 directly, and indirectly, virus related threads here in O/T and yet we have not read even ONE post from anyone who has verifiably contracted the virus, has contracted the virus and has recovered or even anyone who has an immediate or extended family member infected or exposed.

I'm absolutely NOT alleging that the disease isn't real or that proper precaution isn't wise.

I'm just mildly amazed that with the number of PFF members and how far flung we all are that wee haven't had a single illness report, (yet?).

I have an uncle who works for an oil company in Calgary. There's a child care facility in the building of which one of the attending children tested positive. Not exposure by any means, but all employees in the building were directed to work from home for the 14 day precautionary period.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Concern over TP aside, I am not sure we are experiencing serious and widespread shortages of essential products.

First off, let me start by acknowledging that catsup is NOT "an essential product".......well at least to most people, although my son would argue that.

My wife went to the local Wally World today to snag a few miscellaneous items that she missed on our last regular trip.

She reported that our local store was sold out of catsup..........CATSUP fer crissakes!

Fortunately we are well stocked with condiments and sauces of every sort but what the hell is wrong with people?

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best possible outcome is that "People think this is an over reaction to the Virus and realize later on that stronger steps should be been taken sooner.

Me, although I'm in the "endangered" category due to age and health issues, I refuse to panic, I'm doing precisely what medical experts have suggested. I stay away from public places as much as possible, and when I do go somewhere, I maintain my distance from everyone (to include good look'n ladies). Wash my hands every time I touch anything someone else may have come into contact with and try to avoid touching my face, mouth, nose or rub my eyes.

I have noticed one interesting thing though, since this has started, socialization is limited and no sports on TV, I've discovered this lady around here that seems to like to clean house, cook meals, do laundry and other homey type stuff. She's even attractive and reminds me of someone I knew years ago. Think'n this may be a good thing.

Rams
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

The best possible outcome is that "People think this is an over reaction to the Virus and realize later on that stronger steps should be been taken sooner.

Rams

I know that you're not suggesting that this entire country be shut down each and every time this happens.

THAT is the surest way to wreak absolute havoc on our country and our economy.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know that you're not suggesting that this entire country be shut down each and every time this happens.

THAT is the surest way to wreak absolute havoc on our country and our economy.

Nope, not at all.
The havoc is already running rampant. All I'm suggesting is, do what medical experts are telling us to do. If you're sick, don't go visit Granny (she most likely has underlying health issues and her age is against her). Practice Social Distancing as has been prescribed and for goodness sake, if you're sick, don't go to work and share it with your co-workers, their families and friends, stay home. Disinfect your home, car, lap tops, key boards, wash your hands, etc...…………….. Teach your kids good hygiene...……. Things we should have been doing all along but with more intent now.

As has already been shown to be the case, a very small percentage of folks are actually in danger, use good judgement but, carry on with your life within certain limitations.

Edited: Currently watching the Debate between Biden and Sanders. Typically, Sanders wants to write checks to everyone.
Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-15-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have noticed one interesting thing though, since this has started, socialization is limited and no sports on TV, I've discovered this lady around here that seems to like to clean house, cook meals, do laundry and other homey type stuff. She's even attractive and reminds me of someone I knew years ago. Think'n this may be a good thing.

Careful now, don't let your wife hear about this woman!

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vaccine trials begin Monday...

https://www.khq.com/coronav...69-d6c565489e8c.html

Stay safe.
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Edited: Currently watching the Debate between Biden and Sanders. Typically, Sanders wants to write checks to everyone.
Rams

Heck both of them want to give everybody whatever they might desire. Not need.

I am waiting for Biden to invite Bernie outside, or maybe to a push up challenge.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Vaccine trials begin Monday...

https://www.khq.com/coronav...69-d6c565489e8c.html

Stay safe.

From the article:

"Public health officials say it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate any potential vaccine."

One of the WORST things is to release a vaccine to the public that is ineffective, marginally effective or has attendant risk that is more serious than the disease it was intended for.

FDA required clinical trials generally take far more time than just 18 months and involve a large number of panel participants.

Many of the FDA requirements have recently been temporarily suspended by Presidential EO, but even a minimal risk screening takes a good amount of time.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well, I
don't think it's unusual at all that none of us have personally met or personally know someone with Covid-19.
perhaps we should put it in the usual perspective then...
I keep seeing this outbreak and it's death data stated in comparison to
Automobile accident deaths.
Flu deaths.
Civilian/commercial Aircraft deaths.
Gunshot deaths outside combat.
And everything else under the sun.

Your's is by far Not the 1st reference to "How many people do you know that actually have contracted this disease?"

#1. I do not this year, personally know a single person that contracted the flu. ('this year=this flu season, which began last Fall)
#2. I obviously did not know a single person that has died from flu this season, or complications while they had the flu. (nor, in 70 years have I ever known any)
#3. I have never in 70 years known anyone that eventually died in a civilian/commercial aircraft crash.
#4. In 70 years, I have only personally known one non-combat related person that was shot to death. (an uncle that was messin with another man's wife..I posted a thread in OT about it years ago)
#5. In 70 years, I have only personally been acquainted with 1 person that died as a result of an automobile accident, and I barely knew him...met him only once when he came to the house to pick my daughter up for a date.

("Personally"..I do not include on-line 'acquaintances', but even if I did include them, the numbers wouldn't change much except I do know one person from on-line whose wife died from the flu and it happened just yesterday. I never actually laid eyes on him or his now deceased wife)
161.0 Americans per 100,000 also die each year from cancer. #2 cause of death in the USA. I have personally only known a total of 4 in 70 years.
My 1st wife..lymphoma.
My father-in-law..a life time smoker.
My twin brother.
An uncle.

I grew up in the last decade of the Polio era (50s). Never met a single person with it.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm not sure this is necessary: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/n...-commercial-vehicles
The declaration: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/e...ss-39023-no-2020-002

The regulation: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bi...5.390#se49.5.390_123

Regulatory guidance: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/r...tle49/section/390.23

This part used to be the source of a lot confusion and misinformation among drivers. It could easily get some people into of trouble.

I don't think it is necessary either, but I don't know how widespread the panic buying/hoarding of food really is or for how long it is going to last.
Will it happen again next weekend when most of America gets it's paycheck and does it's weekly shopping?

That question notwithstanding..as far as I have ever seen, the US (attn PFF member Fats and Williegoat) trucking industry has always been able to replenish our local food stores within a few days after a widespread natural disaster.

As far as I can determine, every US state except West Va has at least 1 case.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-16-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I grew up in the last decade of the Polio era (50s). Never met a single person with it.

Not one? Never? Interesting. When I was a kid, I had two neighbors with polio within a one block radius of my home. Met at least two more kids at school with it. They all had a limp, and all of them were one or two years older than me. Kids my age or younger must've arrived on the scene after the vaccine was widely available, as none of us were afflicted. (I was born in Dec '55.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope. not one. I had a cousin that wore leg braces (Forest Gump type) but it was from an injury he suffered being rotated around a barber's chair and his legs hit something and about twisted both off at the hips.
I did have an uncle that had rheumatic fever when he was young..from scarlet fever. He was in his 40s already when I was a young teenager.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2020 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on a local Facebook group, just general chat for the town, upcoming events, jobs or wanted classifieds, ECT.

Overall the concern seems to be a never-ending reset of the clock on the quarantine. Which would lead to supply shortages since everyone is more or less indefinitely restricted.

The feeling is "ok, the 2 weeks are up, no symptoms but the virus is still out there so if we go to work we are re-exposing ourselves to it.

Personally I'm thinking once the initial panic is over it's something we will just learn to live with like any other communical disease.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nope. not one.

When you were a kid, did you always live in a rural environment? I'm just wondering if I met as many polio victims as I did simply because I lived in a more densely populated area?

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2020 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the guys who get forced off work for a few weeks with no paycheck, check your local utilites. Ours just set up a relief system for those who need it.

https://www.hydroone.com/sa...ges/Relief-Fund.aspx

Chatting with some of the locals this morning there is a lot of worry they won't be able to get help for planting season due to the restrictions. I already told the guy down the road I'd drive a tractor for the spring if need be. Clutch plays hell with my knee but that's what braces and motrin are for.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock