Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2020 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well things are improving here daily. My airline announced the 40 days unpaid leave has been reduced to 15 days. We are at 75 flights a day and growing.

I remember buying one of those 30 day buckets of food for emergencies. It's mostly dry stuff like pasta and freeze dried soup like in a MRE. I received grief and eye rolls until very recently when the advice to stock up food for two weeks was given. I'm so trying not to act smug.

IP: Logged
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently receiving texts from our school district concerning the virus asking students and students that have family with flu like symptoms to stay home. A link to the district was provided.

They really are telling us here to stock up on food, medicines, and necessities. Might be a good time to at least prepare for a few things.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-02-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2020 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's getting irritating to me.

I've got a mild chronic cough, and now every time I do somebody is giving me the evil eye.

Don't imagine it will be long before they are in my face over it.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2020 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
https://nationalpost.com/ne...nada-stockpiling/amp

I picked up some meats yesterday and the store here is fully stocked. Same next town over. Guess mass panic and stupidity is a big city thing.

Stocking up on bread? Yes, I want to eat that after 3 weeks
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2020 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this means the Aussie are scared shitless of the virus.

https://www.theage.com.au/p...20200303-p546hm.html
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our society seems to have become so sissified... everybody needs to be canceled, shamed, protested, fired or scared of the next flu. Life happens, when its your time.. its your time.

I've given up worrying about next week/month/year.. and have started worrying about today for the last few years as I get older.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I think this means the Aussie are scared shitless of the virus.

Well, that could be the reason they are running out of toilet paper.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's always a silver lining/ a bright side to everything somewhere.

A global run on TP...
this means fewer trees.
A win for me.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-03-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

There's always a silver lining/ a bright side to everything somewhere.

A global run on TP...
this means fewer trees.
A win for me.

Actually, paper production results in more trees, not less. A fact that is ignored by most of the Gretanistas.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting data is showing up today.

Some (8 so far) new "retrograde"cases are showing up in the Shanghai area of China and the source of the new infections is not Wuhan, but instead, have been traced back to.............Italy.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/...o-italy-report-says/

Korea's cases are increasing, over 5300 now but only 28 have died.

Europe's cases are expanding and increasing in numbers. A few days ago, only Italy had much red in it. That has quickly changed and will likely get worse as testing increases and the 2 week window narrows.

Italy now has about 1/2 as many total cases as S. Korea, but 79 have died from it in Italy.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Actually, paper production results in more trees, not less. A fact that is ignored by most of the Gretanistas.

Sure, it's a lot of trees... but I'd hardly call it a forest.

I'm not against forestry, not at all. We need wood. But let's be honest... it takes a very long time to replace an old-growth forest.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't really want to go too far off topic here, but old growth forest, as far as their timber usefulness is concerned comes in board feet, and specifically large beams and wide width dimensional lumber. Paper comes from small and much younger trees and from the byproducts from medium size saw logs....trees with diameter greater than 10". I sold a lot of pulpwood (which is where paper comes from nowadays) that were trunks 3"-4"-8" in diameter. (Byproducts means the limbs and ends of the saw logs...what many mills call chip-N-saw. The mill saws the big part of the trunk into boards and chips everything else for paper and waferboard/MDF)

Here in the lower US, Southern yellow pine species is where most of the dimensional lumber comes from (the 2x4..2x6s...2x8s etc. Also where the majority of utility poles come from. 4 subspecies. long leaf, loblolly, shortleaf, and slash pine are all in the yellow pine family, which is different from white and ponderosa pine.
Utility pole production takes longer than normal pine timber for dimensional lumber, but even 40' tall x 12/13" dia utility pole trees can be grown in 10-15 years if managed correctly.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001
This kind of thing irritates me a good bit. Person A tested positive and was supposed to self isolate, but broke isolation..Now, if I understand the paragraph, he has infected someone else..a person B
https://www.thedartmouth.co...cond-person-infected

A second Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center employee has tested positive for novel coronavirus and is isolated at home.

The man was in close contact with the first case in the state — a DHMC employee who had recently traveled to Italy — who attended an invite-only Tuck School of Business event at The Engine Room in White River Junction. DHMC has contacted anyone who might have been in contact with the first case during the private event.

The first individual attended the event on Friday despite being directed by health officials to self-isolate, and the state has since issued “an official order of isolation” to the man.

What a nice guy eh?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-04-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't really want to go too far off topic here, but old growth forest, as far as their timber usefulness is concerned comes in board feet, and specifically large beams and wide width dimensional lumber. Paper comes from small and much younger trees and from the byproducts from medium size saw logs...

Makes total sense. It would be an absolute crime to use old-growth trees for pulp and paper production.

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now they are saying the global death rate is higher at 3.4%.

https://www.foxnews.com/hea...cs-delay-possibility
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadMark

2935 posts
Member since Feb 2010
This is from the Daily Mail, so read this with caution. But, supposedly there are actually two strains of the Covid-19 virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk...ng-study-claims.html
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, some personal experience.

I was in emerg from 9pm last night to 930 this morning.

I got asked a couple of questions on travel and symptoms on admission but that was it. No signs whatever of special precautions here or anything. Spent a few waiting hours chatting with a cop and cute paramedic and for them its aware but business as usual with the virus.

No it's not serious and nothing is broken but sure as hell feels like it is. Exrays were fine.

I dropped an air conditioner on my foot wearing running shoes.

You can all stop laughing now.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, some personal experience.

I was in emerg from 9pm last night to 930 this morning.

I got asked a couple of questions on travel and symptoms on admission but that was it. No signs whatever of special precautions here or anything. Spent a few waiting hours chatting with a cop and cute paramedic and for them its aware but business as usual with the virus.

No it's not serious and nothing is broken but sure as hell feels like it is. Exrays were fine.

I dropped an air conditioner on my foot wearing running shoes.

You can all stop laughing now.

What? You are putting in an air conditioner at this time of the year? I know you Canadians have a different metabolism, but most air conditioners won't even work if below 45 *F.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Least expensive time to purchase an air conditioner is usually in the middle of winter.....inversely, buy heaters in August.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He wasnt installing it, he was too busy dropping it on his foot.

The lengths some people will go to to meet a pretty paramedic....
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...buy heaters in August.

So true! A few years ago (in late spring or summer) I was across the border picking up eBay items from US vendors that were shipped for me to Blaine Washington, and I dropped into Walmart to look around. In an aisle was a pallet piled high with oil-filled radiator space heaters that they were clearing out for $7 apiece.

I didn't even need a space heater, but I bought two! I would've bought more... but I was driving the '88 Formula and I figured no more than two heaters would fit (along with the rest of the stuff I had already picked up).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-04-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Least expensive time to purchase an air conditioner is usually in the middle of winter.....inversely, buy heaters in August.

20 bucks for a 1-year old window unit from a guy who sold his house and the new one has central air. Nice one with remote.

I'll use the new one this year and sell the old one in July when they get top dollar.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2020 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a good outcome. This could permanently seriously change workforce dynamics and put a serious sent in the economy.

https://www.news.com.au/lif...99b845c54e2d2b9305ca
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2020 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Interesting part here is the Canadian Forces are preparing for a 25% absentee rate. I'm betting they know one hell of a lot more than we do or has been publicly released.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5486243
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
South Korea is having a unique problem with the Covid-19 virus. They are sending out alerts to people by cell phone and it is revealing some things that individuals don't want known.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51733145
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's actually pretty funny. I'd love to read the alerts surrounding politicians, judges and the like.

That'll be some career enders. maybe we should start doing that here.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's actually pretty funny. I'd love to read the alerts surrounding politicians, judges and the like.

That'll be some career enders. maybe we should start doing that here.

I don't think that can happen here with our HIPA rules. Of course I don't know what Canada has for rules though.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh boy. The truth is coming out. That explains the seizure videos.
https://www.zerohedge.com/h...ntral-nervous-system
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh boy. The truth is coming out. That explains the seizure videos.
https://www.zerohedge.com/h...ntral-nervous-system

Did you bother reading it?
It clearly stated the patient ALSO had encephalitis, an illness that has always been known to cause brain inflammation. Any viral infection (and some bacterial infections) can cause encephalitis, where the person's own immune system mistakenly attacks the brain. It's been around forever and most certainly way before Covid-19.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/...yc-20356136#:~:text=

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-05-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69558 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I fervently hope this thread soon dies from lack of new input,but doesn't seem like it will happen very quickly.
https://www.cbsnews.com/liv...-updates-2020-03-05/

3 new cases here in my state in the last 2 days 1 in Fort Bend County (immediately SW of Houston) and 2 in Harris County which is the county that most of Houston is located in. All 3 are people that recently traveled to and returned from Egypt. None had symtoms at first so they went about their business for a couple of weeks before becoming symptomatic and being diagnosed with it, so it's likely there will be more cases in this area from those 3.

https://www.click2houston.c...ed-in-harris-county/

HOUSTON – Harris County officials say a man and a woman are confirmed to have coronavirus Thursday and are currently hospitalized. The female patient is a staff member of Rice University, officials said.

These cases are the second and third cases confirmed in the greater Houston area.

A “presumptive positive” case was announced in Fort Bend County Wednesday. All three patients returned from a trip to Egypt in late February where officials say they contracted the virus. They didn’t show symptoms immediately and so they went about their business as usual for a few days, officials said.

Officials are working to determine who else was on the trip with the three people and some people they came in direct contact with are under self-quarantine, officials said.

All three patients are currently hospitalized and are in stable condition, officials said. The patients from Harris County are from an unincorporated area of northwest Harris County, outside of the city of Houston.

"These cases are travel-related and, at this time, there is no evidence of community spread,” officials wrote in a press release.

"at this time..."
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane, I hope it does too. It actually is on the down slide in China, but these infections are going to be around for a while. Unfortunately.

Europe and South Korea are exploding right now. And we in the US hope that doesn't happen here.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2020 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meanwhile sock-boy is treating the virus exactly the same way he treats the terrorists.

https://www.spencerfernando...more-canadian-lives/
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2020 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Ize knew it. Just knew it.

It was the Yankee imperialists cee aye aye.

https://www.rt.com/news/482...s-biological-weapon/

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Researchers associated with China's Peking University of Beijing have published a report that they say is based on evidence that the coronavirus Covid-19 has evolved into two different strains.

Known as types L and S, type L made up around 70% of the cases the team sampled, which they described as the more “aggressive” of the two.

But other researchers and scholars are disputing the significance of that report.

"Should we be concerned by the ‘second strain' of coronavirus?"
Alexandra Thompson for Yahoo Style UK; March 6, 2020.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifes...train-121655677.html

For those who just can't get enough Covid-19 related news coverage.

Oh, I just checked. I guess I kind of duplicated something that has already been singled out by MadMark.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-06-2020).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Meanwhile sock-boy is treating the virus exactly the same way he treats the terrorists.

https://www.spencerfernando...more-canadian-lives/

If your dear leader doesn't want to protect you Canadians, fine. But, we might just build a wall to keep you and your countrymen from contaminating the US.

(Sarc)
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things not to do these days:

When in Walmart getting the groceries and you grab the beer. It's probably a bad idea to holler down the isle to the wife "I've got the corona".

(I am so damn tempted to do it)

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the "L" strain of the virus come with a lime?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

If your dear leader doesn't want to protect you Canadians, fine. But, we might just build a wall to keep you and your countrymen from contaminating the US.

(Sarc)

There might be a silver lining to it. With any luck Comrade Idiot falls victim to his own stupidity.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, is Iran getting hit now. They have been hit pretty hard already, but today they have registered over 1200 new patients of Covid-19. This is not a good sign for them. And of course as pointed out above, they are blaming the US for this. I guess if you don't have any real idea of what is going on or how to handle it, you just blame it on someone else. And of course you would blame it on the Great Satan if you are an Iranian leader. The US has agreed to help them out, but they are being true to their beliefs and refusing help until the US drops all the sanctions. Would you call that cutting off your nose to spite yourself?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock