Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hudini...from your unique perspective, thoughts on the new Chinese corona virus by maryjane
Started on: 01-22-2020 01:32 AM
Replies: 1454 (20610 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-02-2021 09:04 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems to be a little more threatening than the usual bird type flu illnesses coming from China the last decade or so..What are you seeing, hearing, reading from that part of the world? Are they going to be able to get a handle on it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a bunch of threads about it on Godlike Productions. Lots of fluff but some good links too.

Claims the city of Wahun (?) where it started is under quarantine, 1700+ cases, confirmed case in the US, WHO having an emergency meeting.

About the same as the SARS panic in 02 or so.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 45 died, out of over 100.
Only one died during the voyage.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mostly what I hear is downplaying of it. Which could mean nothing or mean something.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You cannot believe everything that you read, but lack of content often has meaning.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I just got back to Shanghai to find every N95 mask sold out. Online prices are about $60 equivalent. Good thing I already have a N99 mask.

This is Chinese New Year time. The 25th is the actual new year. CNY is traditionally a time Chinese travel to see family. Rumor has it that residents of Wuhan are hunkered down until the all clear is given. Official numbers are 9 dead. Official numbers are always suspect. My FO says it has spread to almost all provinces with 500 infections. Again, actual numbers are unknown.

I’m of the skeptical variety. Remember SARS, MERS, bird flu, swine flu? We were all supposed to get it and a great percentage would die. It hasn’t happened yet and I am of the same mindset as before. Every year we have flu. Every year some percentage dies. You take precautions and wear your mask but go about your business. If you get it then it’s just bad luck.

Personally, I got a flu shot the last time I was home and I also got a pneumonia shot against the latest bacterial pneumonia infections. There are no viral pneumonia shots unfortunately. This new corona virus can produce pneumonia symptoms where it’s difficult to breathe. Unknown whether it’s actually pneumonia or just this virus.

I sure hope I don’t get it but I am still working.

P.S. If Cliff Pennock reads this, did you intentionally block Chinese IP addresses? I have to use a VPN to avoid being blocked.

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
P.S. If Cliff Pennock reads this, did you intentionally block Chinese IP addresses? I have to use a VPN to avoid being blocked.

I thought it was the Chinese that restrict what you could view on the internet?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I thought it was the Chinese that restrict what you could view on the internet?

Sort of....

停止开关
Tíngzhǐ kāiguān

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just more data

https://www.washingtonpost....-began-20-years-ago/

"...This time, Chinese authorities were initially praised for what some observers called a relatively fast response. China first reported a pattern of unknown pneumonia-like cases in the city of Wuhan in late December.
...Authorities have offered daily updates and have said the number of infected people in China has passed 470.
...But some analysts have already raised doubts over whether the Chinese figures are accurate. Imperial College London researchers estimated Wednesday that the number of cases in Wuhan had probably risen to around 4,000 by Saturday — vastly exceeding the number of cases China had confirmed. …

..In Wuhan, a city of 11 million people, the numbers of people traveling in and out was “staggering,” he said. And officials did not suspend travel until Wednesday, weeks after the outbreak was first documented."

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-22-2020).]

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to work for a company that made poly urethane foam. It was used for a lot of things, but one was as a nose bridge pad for the N-95 face masks. I used to scan the news all the time to see if something like this was brewing so I could get ahead of the orders for our foam. We would go from 2 shipments a week, which is 160 rolls of foam 3500 meters long to as much as 8 shipments a week when something like this hit. Each N-95 mask from 3-M took 4 to 6 inches of this gray foam 1 inch wide x 0.100 thick. So you can imagine how many masks were made from each container load. Every time we had a flue outbreak my boss secretly was happy because it put millions of dollars in his pocket.
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All public modes of travel in and out of Wuhan have been stopped.

For the first time I saw health authorities screening outbound travelers yesterday when going to my flight to Tokyo. All inbound international travelers are screened and always have been, but never the outbound until now. I haven't flown a domestic trip in a while.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am seeing video from earlier today with body heat scanners as folks walk through the airport.

I too heard that travel has been shut down, but could not confirm it.

I hope that the zombie virus soon hits. That is when the shat gets real!

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Connect the dots.............
ancient never before seen viruses discovered in Tibetan plateau glacier

Tibetans are scrambling out of China and returning to tibet to escape this illness

Genie.........out of the bottle...

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-22-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2020 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That scenario has been the root of some great movies... And fear mongering by the climatetards.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2020 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-23-2020).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. If I don't, the server grinds to a halt due to thousands and thousands of fake page requests.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured there was a good reason. Just didn't affect me until the recent change. I've always set my VPN to Taiwan as it's the closest location outside the Great Firewall. Now that is blocked as well as Thailand and Korea and Japan. Now I just set my VPN to Los Angeles and take whatever speed I can get.

As far as this virus is concerned everyone in China is laser focused on protecting themselves. Apparently an estimated 300k people fled Wuhan before it was closed for fear of being walled in with the virus. Uh oh.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2020 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen that movie. Contaminated escapees are never a good thing.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this is common knowledge that I am lacking, but why does it always seem that these diseases start in China?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

That scenario has been the root of some great movies... .

If only it were as simple as Godzilla

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-23-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"At this time, it's unclear how easily or sustainably this virus is spreading between people," the CDC says.

link:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01...ecautions/index.html

"Three of those US airports -- John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Los Angeles International Airport and San Francisco International Airport -- are already checking those incoming passengers for symptoms such as fever, cough and trouble breathing.

By the end of this week, two more airports will screen passengers -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Chicago O'Hare International Airport"
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2020 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://beta.theglobeandmai...han-virus-far-worse/

GLP also has a thread with links to people dropping in the streets, but yopu might have to log in to the forum to get at it

https://www.godlikeproducti...1/message4245417/pg1

and

https://www.dailystar.co.uk...ead-streets-21345585

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-23-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snake-viruses on a Plane

"New coronavirus may have 'jumped' to humans from snakes, study finds"
Rachael Rettner for LiveScience; January 22, 2020.
https://www.livescience.com...s-origin-snakes.html

Or not. The article includes:

However, some experts have criticized the study, saying it's unclear if coronaviruses can indeed infect snakes.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
asps. vedy dangerous. you go 1st...
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Maybe this is common knowledge that I am lacking, but why does it always seem that these diseases start in China?

Coronavirus does start here mainly because of the interaction between people and birds as I understand it. (Northern Chinese like to make fun of Southern Chinese by saying they eat anything and everything; cats, dogs, birds, babies..) Birds have the virus in their system naturally and it does not affect them. Remember bird flu? When it crosses over to humans is when it becomes a problem. Your yearly flu vaccine starts with researchers coming over here to test what birds are carrying and then trying to guess what flu will emerge months later. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they miss it completely.

But don't forget Africa. Ebola and HIV started there due to humans eating wild animals.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen anythin more recent than earlier today, but this was current as of 3:30pm central time. A suspected case of corona virus at Texas A&M University in a student that had recently visited Wuhan and returned to Tx A&M.

https://www.click2houston.c...f-novel-coronavirus/

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Officials at the Brazos County Health District said Thursday they are investigating a suspected case of the 2019 novel coronavirus.

The male patient, who has been identified as a student at Texas A&M University, had traveled from Wuhan, China, where the coronavirus that has made headlines in recent days first originated, officials said.

Doctors quickly related the patient’s mild symptoms to the novel coronavirus and the patient is undergoing tests to confirm the suspected diagnosis. The results of those tests will be announced to the public if the patient’s tests come back positive for the virus.

Officials said the patient is being kept isolated at home until the results of the tests are received. Health officials said it is safe for students to attend classes at Texas A&M University.

Officials are asking anyone who has traveled to Wuhan, China, and are suffering flu-like symptoms to call the Brazos County Health Department at 979-361-4440.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coronavirus does start here mainly because of the interaction between people and birds as I understand it. (Northern Chinese like to make fun of Southern Chinese by saying they eat anything and everything; cats, dogs, birds, babies..) Birds have the virus in their system naturally and it does not affect them. Remember bird flu? When it crosses over to humans is when it becomes a problem. Your yearly flu vaccine starts with researchers coming over here to test what birds are carrying and then trying to guess what flu will emerge months later. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they miss it completely.

But don't forget Africa. Ebola and HIV started there due to humans eating wild animals.

And that is why we should all be Vegans!
Sark
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2020 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's interesting

https://www.ziyadnazem.com/...s-in-china-2019-ncov

One hell of an "oooooopppsssiiieee"
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Youtube read some of the comments

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 01-24-2020).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2020 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That moment when you realise it is the year of the rat in china
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2020 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, look on the bright side. If this new captain troops wipes out 50% of the population (like the last 4 did )we have cut carbon emissions in half !

Meaning Gretta will finally SHUT UP!

Always look at the bright side of death!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2020 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They recommend don't travel to China. (duh)
Apparently people who live in China are saying it is a bigger problem than is being reported.
(though this was heard second hand)

https://www.usnews.com/news...-issues-travel-alert

"Overnight, the number of cases of the 2019-nCoV coronavirus in China shot from 2,835 to 4,515, the New York Times reported. " -article

"Earlier Monday, CDC officials gave the latest update on coronavirus cases in the United States

"To date, we have 110 of what we call persons under investigation in 26 states. This is a cumulative number and will only increase," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the U.S. National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during a media briefing Monday morning. "We still have only five confirmed positive [cases] and 32 who have tested negative. We have screened around 2,400 people so far."
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The Last Ship"
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like there is a case here: https://www.azcentral.com/s...med-case/4593788002/

The case, which was confirmed Sunday, is in a person who is a member of the Arizona State University community, is under the age of 60 and does not have underlying health conditions, said Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine, medical director for disease control at the Maricopa County Department of Public Health.

Being "a member of the Arizona State University community" sounds like a big chance for a lot of exposure. ASU just hosted the ASU vs UofA basketball game last weekend.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the Mayor of Hunan, about 5 million residents left the city before it got locked down..that's 1/2 the population. Hard to see how this is going to be contained.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My last couple of flights had very low numbers of pax, 30 and 60. Yesterday I was supposed to fly 4 legs but the last two flights were cancelled. This left me stranded in Ningbo, just south of Shanghai. To get me back to base I had to take a DiDi (Chinese Uber). On the outskirts of Shanghai we ran into a huge traffic jam. Now this is very strange considering how many people are staying home. After about 40 minutes we finally approached the slowdown; health workers and police taking people's temperatures and questioning where they have traveled. If you are from Hubei province (where Wuhan is located) it's not going to go well for you.

So many stories about people being left on the aircraft for 12 hours because one person was sick. Entire aircraft being diverted because of groups of pax being from Hubei.

Now United Airlines has cancelled all flights to China until Feb 9th. My scheduled flight home is the 12th. If I get stuck here on my days off I will have a hissy fit. Especially if I catch this virus while stuck here. If I get sick then I stay until it's cured or killed me, this I know. But if I get it while not being allowed to leave.......
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock