Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Fastback Tail Light restoration service (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fastback Tail Light restoration service by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 12-28-2015 08:15 PM
Replies: 59 (5943 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 09-15-2018 03:22 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: I've taken a new job that doesn't currently allow the time to do taillights. Feel free to PM me and I might have an opening, but right now I'm not taking new projects.

After several requests, I have decided to formally offer Fastback tail light restoration services. This service will:

--Permanently solve delamination
--Restore clarity to lenses
--Fix broken mounting tabs
--Restore light reflectivity

What I will do:

1. Mask, paint, and clear coat the lenses. While this does not actually fix the delamination that plagues these lenses, it hides it.

2. Wet sand and buff the lenses. This removes most imperfections from the clear coat, and restores a like-new shine and clarity to them. I will also buff the inside of the clear part of the lens.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

3. Remove old sealant, clean the housing, and paint with fresh chrome paint. This will restore light reflectivity as these are frequently blackened inside due to bad bulbs or heat. This doesn't permanently fix the blackening and it will eventually return; however, it's a good start. With the use of LED bulbs the blackening can be greatly reduced due to the substantially less heat.

4. Replace any broken mounting tabs. I use 060 steel screwed into the thick plastic of the housing. It should be a permanent solution to the broken tabs.

5. Mask and paint the back of the housing. I will paint it satin black unless another color is requested.

Finished product will look as close to a new lens as you can get these days.

Now, what I CAN'T do:

I CAN'T fix cracks, chips, holes, or other damage. There's a potential that the clearcoat *may* fill and hide minor damage to the lenses, I make no claims that it will. He's a before/after on a chip and crack from a lens that I did:

I also CAN'T do any sort of custom lettering. Due to the original construction of the tail light lens (which I am not altering) I can only do a restoration of the factory appearance.

Pricing (all prices do NOT include return shipping, so figure ~$30-45 or so depending on distance):

$150 per lens ($300 total for the pair)
$50 per housing (includes cleaning and painting)
$15 per mounting tab

I am not going to charge a separate "disassembly" fee; HOWEVER, it would be appreciated if you separate the lens from the housing before shipping to me. I haven't broken a light *YET* but these lights are pushing 30 years old. If you ship me an assembled light I will take the utmost care to disassmble it safely, but I can't absolutely guarantee it. I will treat your lights like they're my own-- that means I will handle and care for them like they were going on my own car-- and I will finish them in a way I would be proud to put on my car. With that said, there may be minor imperfections in the paint, or something like that. I don't promise perfection, but I do promise "pretty damn good". I am NOT a body shop, I am NOT a professional painter, I do NOT have what would be described as "professional" equipment. I'm a guy who is trying to fund a build and I think I'm pretty decent at doing these restorations. That's the service I'm offering.

Here's a great thread on safety separating the lens from the housing:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000042.html

[This message has been edited by Napoleon_Tanerite (edited 06-24-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice I may send you my extra set and then swap out the ones I have on my GT with your restoration ones. Do you reseal them with new butyl tape so they don't leak and fog up any more too?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 12-28-2015).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use black RTV. Same effect, and easier to work with.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job!
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished another set. These will be my personal spares at least until Slammed has her lenses available.

firstclassfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of painting do you do for the lenses? Rattlecan or spray gun? I would want my lenses done with a slight tint (little bit of black mixed with clear)

Do you paint inside or outside?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lenses are painted with Nason basecoat and clearcoat. I haven't messed with tinting clear, but I could look into doing some sort of tint to use under the clear.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

The lenses are painted with Nason basecoat and clearcoat. I haven't messed with tinting clear, but I could look into doing some sort of tint to use under the clear.

You could tint the clear or use a candy base then clear.

I think using a candy base would give you more color options and allow you to have full control of the amount of tint.

I must warn you though, there are DOT laws pertaining to head and tail lights as well as the amount of light they emit. There are also some states where it is illegal to have any aftermarket tint on any window, lens or lamp.

Now, what you are offering for "restoration" would have no legal issues unless the DOT is no longer present but offering a "tint" more than likely will.

Do companies offer products like this - YES

Do people use products like this - YES

Do people jump off of cliffs - YES

None of these make it right.

Just some food for thought.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just assumed he was building a race and/or show car that will be trailered to and from all events
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just assumed he was building a race and/or show car that will be trailered to and from all events

That might work.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Use the VHT Nightshades to tint the lenses and spray the inside of the lens. That way the actual lens will act as the clearcoat and be glossy. Also if there is ever a legal issue, the tint can be removed easily without destroying the restoration.
firstclassfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a fairly minor tint job. Nothing that high power LEDs wouldnt correct. Basically so that when they are assembled, you wouldn't be able to see as distinct of a difference between the clear and black portions. By no means is it a trailer queen, but it also isn't a daily. Only summertime driving and no rain.

I appreciate the concern and input though!

As for niteshades, I have used it and find it goes too dark too quick.

I wonder if window tint could be installed from the inside... that way it is a little easier to reverse.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'll pass on the tinting. I would be glad to restore your lenses and ship them back unassembled. That way you can decide what's best for you. As far as window tint film, probably not a good idea, at least not without going to LED bulbs. Tint film isn't designed to take that kind of heat continuously.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I'll pass on the tinting. I would be glad to restore your lenses and ship them back unassembled. That way you can decide what's best for you. As far as window tint film, probably not a good idea, at least not without going to LED bulbs. Tint film isn't designed to take that kind of heat continuously.

Have you ever tried to touch glass that has been in the sun on an 80 degree day?

The tinting film seems to do alright there.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps, but all of the Fiero lights I have opened have had scorch marks on the inside from the heat of the bulbs. Might get hotter in there, but the reflector may protect the lens enough.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for offering this service.
I have four things of input:
1) The outer lens rectangular holding clips notoriously break. Are you/can you repair these? And yes, I know that once the lens sealer is applied, the lenses will stay together anyways.
2) Speaking of sealer, you're going to need to ensure you use enough to fill the whole "gap", otherwise water will get in. This is important.
3) Be careful about what tinting you use. Eric Hinnekamp did mine years ago and I told him he did a great job except the tinting had "shrunk or wrinkled" in various spots. You might want to check in to this.
4) Just my opinion but I think the painting of the back housing area is not necessary or recommended in my opinion. The plastic is glossy black from the factory. I have cleaned up many Fastback tail lights and I have never seen a back housing that needed anything other than a little soap & water.
Kit
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is fantastic! Excellent work. Mine are becoming somewhat delaminated, and I will very likely be sending them out for your services soon!

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

firstclassfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No worries about the tint, just watching your own back. No harm in that. I may attempt them myself, but if I decide not to, I'll be in touch! (No tint)
Thanks!
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you be willing to try a notchback tail light?
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure! Send me a PM and we'll make it happen.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some work this weekend. Here are a few before and after pics

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm caught up on work for now, so I'll get to your lights as soon as they get to me, no waiting.

Here's some tail lights you may see soon attached to a prominent car.

Some other pieces I did. I don't just do taillights it seems!

Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your work is absolutely exceptional. I think there is probably close to 100% chance that reproduction lenses will never be made. I would encourage you to keep up the good work as your services will be in demand as long as you want to provide this service. I will add this to my web page to help promote this service you provide to 86-88 Fiero GT owners. The page I add to my web page will direct them to this topic. I do not need anything in return for doing this. Only takes me a few minutes to add it to my web page.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thanks Rodney!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=373

Done

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Your work is absolutely exceptional. I think there is probably close to 100% chance that reproduction lenses will never be made. I would encourage you to keep up the good work as your services will be in demand as long as you want to provide this service. I will add this to my web page to help promote this service you provide to 86-88 Fiero GT owners. The page I add to my web page will direct them to this topic. I do not need anything in return for doing this. Only takes me a few minutes to add it to my web page.

I think a high quality repop would still be in demand.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW never had a chance to read this thread ... just BRAVO !! ... good to see another member helping out to keep our little quirky cars nice and shiny ... bravo again

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Thank you so much for the compliment. For the good of the community I hope you're wrong. I would like nothing more than someone to come along and put me out of business with new production lenses. In fact I have a set of lights that just need new lenses to be complete. Unfortunately I think you're right. Despite recent efforts (regarding which we have a professional disagreement) I agree it is unlikely we will ever see new lenses. I have a bad pair of lenses, I'm hoping I can figure that how to fix holes and cracks. I would love to be THE tail light guy for the Fiero. I don't mean to take business away from Tony Kania, but he seems swamped and uninterested in this job. I think there's room in the market for both of us.

[This message has been edited by Napoleon_Tanerite (edited 01-16-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Luperman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what form of pymt do you take?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PayPal is preferred, but I can take a check if you want.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for indispensable tail light refinishing service.
da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you would be willing to make and ship just the metal tab replacements?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure. I wouldn't drill them though, they'd just be blanks. That way whomever buys them can drill them to take advantage of whatever part of their housing is strongest.
Duffster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DuffsterSend a Private Message to DuffsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With regards to the cracks/missing small chunks - How do you feel about the possibility of lightly dremeling that and filling with "Bondic"? I understand over a prolonged period, that spot MIGHT yellow but it would be forever watertight and for some extended period, clear.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never experimented with that. If the damage is to the black part you could hide a repair. The clear part would have to be perfect.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping so I can leave you trader feedback!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock