Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Build thread: '88 + 3800 = Fun in Spokane (Dial-up death warning) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build thread: '88 + 3800 = Fun in Spokane (Dial-up death warning) by aaronkoch
Started on: 07-13-2009 03:46 PM
Replies: 321 (32305 views)
Last post by: robymon on 06-21-2019 03:33 AM
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice!!! those look most well done!!
IP: Logged
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost forgot.. first, a shot of the cradle leaning against the parts car:

Now for the REAL find of the day, a Getrag from a '89 Corsica. I walked right by it twice, because I didn't think corsica's ever came with a manual option, and Joe walked up to it and said, "What's wrong with this Getrag?"

*slaps forhead*

The next 3 hours were spent wrestling it out of the corsica.

Now, the cleaning and poly will follow.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find on the transmission. I cannot believe that you already have your suspension back. The powdercoat looks incredible.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony, you have to see these in person, and really need to consider doing the wheels in it. I can't believe how nice they turned out.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Another day, another step done.

I figured out that my ball joint press works REALLY well to put in poly ($30 harbor freight special). I only used the wrench to really snug them in. 99% was just by hand.

I only needed the press for the big front A-arms, and the upshot of using it is those stupid end-caps actually fit without trimming. I KNOW there's no way these came close to fitting on the '86, and required trimming, but the fiero store lists the front poly kit the same part number for 84-88, so maybe these are made for the 88's and I shouldn't have bothered on the earlier car.

So, I finished up the fronts, and the rears were a piece of cake, and pretty soon, ALL DONE!

Here's a close-up shot of the front upper, I did this right, right? The center pins that came with the poly slipped right over the a-arm pin, and it looks right, just want to make sure before putting the washers and nuts back on.

That's all for now, if you noticed, in the complete shot, I tried to get my lower ball joints pressed in, but the powder coating made it a REALLY tight fit, so I'll have to run 'em down to the parts store for their hydraulic press.

More tomorrow...

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Forgot to add, if you're going to do this some day, do yourself a big favor and make sure you grease the inner sleeve pin of the poly, to make sure the bolts won't rust to them. If they did, I don't think you'd ever get them off, those inner sleeves are hard core.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Another day, another step done.

I figured out that my ball joint press works REALLY well to put in poly ($30 harbor freight special). I only used the wrench to really snug them in. 99% was just by hand.

I only needed the press for the big front A-arms, and the upshot of using it is those stupid end-caps actually fit without trimming. I KNOW there's no way these came close to fitting on the '86, and required trimming, but the fiero store lists the front poly kit the same part number for 84-88, so maybe these are made for the 88's and I shouldn't have bothered on the earlier car.

So, I finished up the fronts, and the rears were a piece of cake, and pretty soon, ALL DONE!

Here's a close-up shot of the front upper, I did this right, right? The center pins that came with the poly slipped right over the a-arm pin, and it looks right, just want to make sure before putting the washers and nuts back on.

That's all for now, if you noticed, in the complete shot, I tried to get my lower ball joints pressed in, but the powder coating made it a REALLY tight fit, so I'll have to run 'em down to the parts store for their hydraulic press.

More tomorrow...

That is the best looking 88 suspension I have seen. I wish my 88 looked that good. Now I want to go and do mine all over again to look like that. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job, keep it up.

Rob
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the most important parts of my build arrived in the mail today, I've been waiting on it for about 5 weeks.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 07-27-2009).]

86Red2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86Red2M6Send a Private Message to 86Red2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great pics... I installed a full poly kit on my IROC, and will probably do the same to the 86 2M6 my son and I acquired. You will love the difference in handling. Thanks for the lift pics, you've given me some creative ideas... I have to remove my engine trans cradle, and I have limited facilities. Your pictures have given me new ideas... Looks like you guys are having fun.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Any idea as to what vehicle that mount originally came from?

Pontiac Transport with a 3800....I know, I bought one. -Jason

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I lucked into that one, huh?
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used that big U front mount bracket on my turbo car. It works well but the existing holes won't line up. Once you get the engine positioned, it will have to be redrilled.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I used that big U front mount bracket on my turbo car. It works well but the existing holes won't line up. Once you get the engine positioned, it will have to be redrilled.

It really won't work with 84-87 the mount on the cradle is in the wrong spot. I didn't want to cut the cradle and reposition the monut (powder coated cradle). So I ended up cutting the one ear off and making my own.. Worked pretty good. -Jason
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be going with Rodney's mounts after seeing the stock '88 mount prices, and I believe it will line up just purdy on the '88 cradle (bolt holes are already symmetrical). Even if I have to cut or redrill a bit, no biggy. I'm still waiting on fundage (88 brakes bankrupted me this paycheck.. ) so it'll probably be about a month until I get the engine & tranny mounted for fit.

Thanks for all the input guys, I love this forum!
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Money is nice.

*secretly jealous*
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's funny you say that, here's a quick story about being married:

So, I hardly ever carry cash, usually using my debit card for purchases, as that way they're budgeted and accounted for. About a month ago, I got a refund for a toy (bought wrong one for kid), and they elected to return cash to me instead of putting it back on the card, as the cashier was new or something. Next day, I pulled out some cash to buy girl scout cookies at work (Stupid addicting substances..) and realized that the $5 bill was red/colored. I was flabbergasted!
"Hey, when did they change the 5's?" I asked,

"Oh, about 2 years ago."

The ladies at the office all started laughing, realizing that I was completely whipped (even though I don't mind it..), and that I hadn't seen a bill that large in at least 2 years...

Oh well, c'est la vie, right? I guess it's obvious I'm married with children.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heheh. Oh, what's that I hear? *Whhhhhhhhhthttssshhhh*

P.S. Welcome to the world of Monopoly money. (Go Canada!)
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch:Ok, new and exciting! Pictures of powder coated goodness:

Cradle is coated too, ...

Are you going to have the engine bay powder coated?

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2009 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just glad that he won't be done in time for Fiero Fest! I may have a chance. He, he, he.

------------------

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2009 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only spend about an hour on the car tonight, had to come back in to work for the night..

Locked down the front passenger side arms, new inner/outer tie rods, spindle, and bearing, only to realize that I'd pushed the sway bar up out of the way and it wouldn't pass the upper arm.

*UGH*

So, supported the lower arm with a jack, unbolted the top arm, swiveled it out of the way, lowered sway bar, rebolted. Tomorrow, I'll get the driver's side done...

Next up on the hit parade, update some pictures,
Finish pulling off all body panels
cut / reflare front brake lines (stupid things will NOT unscrew, backs were fine)
assemble drivers side front suspension

That'll keep me busy for a few days.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Are you going to have the engine bay powder coated?

You know, if I didn't want it done before the snow flies, I WOULD have stripped the whole chassis down and powdercoated it.
PFF
System Bot
LilRdFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilRdFieroSend a Private Message to LilRdFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. Let's get busy while the family is gone!!! Let us know when and what we can do to get this hunk of PLASTIC rollin"!

------------------
Greg
'86 SE
Inland Northwest Fiero Club
Spokane, WA

LilRdFiero

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heh, wife decided to stay home, but I still got the OK to work on it this week.

Tonight's lil Joe's BBQ, then it's wrenching time!
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Aaron. I kind of missed the last 2 weeks of your updates getting ready for Fiero Fest Let me know if you have any questions when you start in on the wiring...the N/A and SC engines are very similar, plus I have electronic factory service manuals for 2000-2005 GM cars including wiring schematics.

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I've discovered a big negative of having beautiful powder-coated suspension pieces.. Last night I was wrestling to put in the driver's side LCA with the new poly bushings, and of COURSE they're really tight, but I couldn't use my customary BFH approach.. I had to find a 2x4 to wedge in there and tap with a hammer until the pins were in the hole enough to pry flush with a screw driver..

After that HOUR, I got the driver's side inner and outer tie rods replaced.

That's ALL I got done on the drivers front before the heavens opened up from above, and I had to scurry and put tools away before they got rained on.

I'll get pics tonight if it's not raining.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, quicky update for tonight:

Finally finished up the front suspension. I though for sure I was going to get rained on, but only sprinkled.

passenger side:

Driver side:

Car in sorry current state:

I can't believe it, but I actually broke one of the upper ball joint bolts on the driver's side, and even more surprising, I had the exact replacement in my box of random junk.

Also, I noticed that the sway bar links are slightly longer (ones that came from fiero store). They seem to work ok, just strange. I wonder if it's so the poly won't be at as great of an angle as the rubber would be throughout the suspension travel.. Hmm. I'll find out if it hits or not when I get it on the road.
oilinthegas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oilinthegasSend a Private Message to oilinthegasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome post man ..car looks great
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, got the engine in the garage finally, need to save money for a BUNCH of stuff from Rodney Dickman, getrag FWD kit, cables, getrag mount brackets, poly engine mounts, getrag slave, etc.

I'm gonna personally finance that guy's retirement here in the next couple of months.

Right now I'm rebuilding the engine compartment of a '96 jetta to sell for some project car cash... As soon as that's done I'll be workin again.

I really should take some motor pics..
GS Jon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:I really should take some motor pics..

Please do, you know I'm watching your build.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, ok, but only because you asked nicely.

See the beautiful port matching job Joe's son did?

Not looking forward to this spaghetti mess..

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to keep out of archives. I'm going to start the cradle work and engine mounting here in a couple of weeks.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aaron we need more pics and updates
LuckyStrike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyStrikeSend a Private Message to LuckyStrikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can i ask what flywheel, clutch and starter are you using? -strike-
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, how did you break the ball joint?? Was this a fiero store ball joint??

Thanks,
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to end up using the Fiero store HD clutch, as fieroking has used them with great success on his 4.9's and 3.4 DOHC. It feels very natural, and engages smoothly, while holding up to abuse for many years.

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2009 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by fierogt28:

BTW, how did you break the ball joint?? Was this a fiero store ball joint??

Thanks,

Didn't break the ball joint, broke one of the bolts that hold the top ball joint on (got a little zealous tightening things down).
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by LuckyStrike:

can i ask what flywheel, clutch and starter are you using? -strike-

Sorry, forgot the other 2 parts to that question: For the flywheel, I got a 96 camaro 3800 flywheel that will be machined down to .840" on the friction surface. Since I'm doing a NA build, the balance should remain the same, as the 96 camaro came with a 3800 NA motor too. As for the starter, I'm using whatever Joe happened to grab from the junkyard that came on the 3800.

GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update???
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there should be an update here.

With family in town for Christmas, Pre$ents to buy, etc, etc, it's slow going. I've got that 89 corsica Getrag and it's in nice shape, but I'm SO tempted to just go to the boneyard and grab a 4t65 and be done with it.. That would save at least $300... (Rodney getrag adapters, correct cables, and clutch).

I'll get it done by this spring tho for sure..
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep out of archives, and because I'm about to work on it again..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock