Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  88 Coupe gets a 3.4 (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 Coupe gets a 3.4 by josef644
Started on: 03-18-2011 12:24 PM
Replies: 562 (28330 views)
Last post by: josef644 on 05-02-2016 01:06 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I got page 12.

I was able to get a lot of little things done today. Added new holes for the second fastener for the engine grills. Put the spare tire tub back in it's spot. Added the spare tire and jack . Installed the windshield washer tank. Used caulking to close off the air leak around the evaporator lines.

We are gonna take the car to the Red River Ruckus in Fredericksburg next weekend.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-07-2012).]

IP: Logged
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the hood back on the car this afternoon after work. Added one can of 134A. It lasted about a hour, until the on and off cyceling started back up again. After Ruckus I am gonna have the system filled with dry nitrogen to help me locate the leak. I can't see anything dripping or wet from the dye in the system.

I am just about finished working on the car until Fredericksburg Ruckus is over with. I will remove the console to see what is up with my lighter socket being dead. Fuse is fine.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-09-2012).]

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope it's ready to be put through it's paces at RRR!!!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

Hope it's ready to be put through it's paces at RRR!!!

Me too Ben. We will be leaving here around 7-8 am Friday morning. Yahoo maps says it is 260 miles from home here.

I found that the ground wire was unplugged from the lighter socket. I am thinking about making the two wires a bit longer, and fasten the lighter socket to the black trim face plate. The mounts on the console have pretty well had it. Easy fix.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-10-2012).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I am thinking about making the two wires a bit longer, and fasten the lighter socket to the black trim face plate. The mounts on the console have pretty well had it. Easy fix.

Done Deal. We now have power for the cell phones. I moved teh ALDL to behind the passenger seat. I can now watch my scanner with out removing the black plastic cover.

We good to go here. I am gonna wash the car off around 7pm after it cools dow just a bit.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe... I did not get to visit with you and Mrs Cathy very much at Ruckus.

I wanted to ask if the white car had a good weekend at Ruckus?
We certainly gave her a good workout and I wanted to know if you found any problems that you need looking at?

I must say it looked very good in person and warmed my heart to see y'all driving it!

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?
......................................................www.northtexasfieroclub.org

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I can vouch that it drove great! Joe let me take it for a little spin yesterday morning. It was a little strange driving an auto but it drove great!!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am afraid to do any boasting about the car. Don't want to jinx it!!!!!! But we had zero problems of any kind. We had to go to Houston when we got home, and after returning home at 11:00pm I had 917 miles since heading west Friday morning. I drove it to work this morning!!

I want to say I am real pleased with the Champion 3 core radiator. The engine runs 192* with the AC on or off, hot or cold outside, up hill or down. Doesn't seam to matter what the conditions are when driving. Every one with a 23 year old radiator should consider this upgrade.

88 Brakes are a big improvement over pre 88's.

I am always happy to be with everyone at the Ruckus, Spring Fling, or what ever Fiero event we all meet up at.

See you guys next time, soon we hope.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-15-2012).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is looking good Joe...I like the paint scheme you have going one with it...

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Car is looking good Joe...I like the paint scheme you have going one with it...

I remember talking to you about the two tone roof quite a while back. I used gloss black to repaint any black items on the car.

I am pretty happy with the car. I averaged 24 mpg over the weekend. Zero problems of any type.

I ordered screws and fasteners to put the two rear wheel well liners back in their spots. I'll get those back in as soon as the fasteners arrive here.

I have nothing to repair, replace, or fix except for a hood. I didn't think I would ever say that. I don't know what to do with my spare time now!!!!!

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-17-2012).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received the fastenerrs in the mail over the weekend. I remeoved both rear wheels and replaced the liners in their correct spots. All fasteners in the correct spots.

I don't have anything left to fix!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it's time to sell her and buy another one to work on!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to Dallas this morning to have lunch with the NTFC bunch. Drove it 80 mph from Huntsville, Tx to Ennis, Tx, about 160 miles, with out a hitch. Same on the way home. Still getting about 23 mpg. Right at 400 mile round trip.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go. It came yesterdsay afternoon. Two days from Austin to my house. Can't get no better than this. Install was less than 10 minuets.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When we got back home from Ruckus all items in the trunk were quite warm. My 86 coupe with the duke never got hot in the trunk, The exhaust manifold was between the engine and the passenger compartment. My 3.4 has an exhaust manifold less than a foot from the forward part of the trunk. I ordered a piece of insulation on E Bay that was 1/2" thick with the aluminum backing. Supposed to be good for 1200*. It was a 24" by 48" piece for about $22.00. Here is a link to the sellers store:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/nda...rksid=p2047675.l2562
I removed the liner and used spray adhesive to attach the insulation. If you do this be sure and cut the holes for the large gray liner fasteners BEFORE you install it in the trunk. I have driven the car to work with this installed. About a 25 min trip. Trunk was not hot at all after the install. Cool to the touch still.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 11-06-2012).]

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might need to invest in that for my car...
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice idea. Will your trunk liner still fit?

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might need to invest in that for my car...

Ben The forward metal was very hot before I added in this insulation. Now it is just a small amount of warm. You wouldn't want to put a chocolate candy bar back there. Not as hot as a seat with the windows up on a hot Texas day.

Originally posted by kennn:

Nice idea. Will your trunk liner still fit?

Ken

Sorry I didn't see your question until tonight. I had removed the lower portion of the trunk for the exhaust system for my 4.9 swap I had i this car before I built and installed this 3.4. I installed a bottom piece of metal over the missing section. I trimmed the remaining piece of the trunk liner to fit . After removing it and adding the insulation, it was a bit tight, but still went into place.

I have purchased just about everything that I need to swap in a 4T60 overdrive transmission. I have the correct governor cap, both CV shafts, shift cable bracket with arm, and the correct 4T60 mount brackets. I need to start looking for a low mileage transmission now. I am thinking about doing this some time this winter. After Christmas I'm thinking.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 11-13-2012).]

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe, Mike Good might have a lead on one of those transmissions for you. Give him a call and see. If you want I can pick it up and store it until you can pick it up or I go to Houston.

Ben
VF1Skullangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the oil for the first time since the 500 mile change was done. It had used about 1/4 quart.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have driven my 88 522 miles this Thanksgiving weekend. No problems of any kind. Averaged 25 mpg. I purchased a MV303 at Autozone for my 4T60 swap project I am gonna try to do in January. This is the smaller size vacuum modulator needed to clear the V6 crossover coolant pipe.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 11-24-2012).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove my 88 to Austin, Tx for the Bat City Fiero club meeting. Had a lot of fun, great food, and met some new Fiero owners.

I developed a miss on the way home. My tach started jumping around a bit when the miss was present. When I got home I unplugged the tach filter. After jumping the two wires back togeather, in the harness part of the plug, I went for a 20 mile ride. The miss was gone, but I still had a few 'jumps' on the tack needle. Maybe 10 in the whole 20 mile run.

The engine will run without the jumper, but the tach is dead without it.

I ordered a new tach filter from Rodney Dickman.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 12-03-2012).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My miss and erratic tach jumps were back with me this morning. Unplugged the TCC to make sure it wasn't acting up. This had no effect on the miss.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 12-03-2012).]

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe, thanks for coming out to the meet. It was good seeing you guys. Hopefully you can nail down the problem fairly easily.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Joe, thanks for coming out to the meet. It was good seeing you guys. Hopefully you can nail down the problem fairly easily.

We had a great time Ben. I wish I could say I fixed my gremlin, but can't. My new RD tach filter arrived today in the mail. I am waiting on a new set of AC Delco spark plug wires to get here. I am planning on putting them on the car Sunday morning. Then a quick check ride.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday morning I removed all spark plugs and plug wires. What a pisser of a job !!!!!!!!! The forward bank is nasty to do. Just plain nasty. I found # 5 plug just finger tight in the head. My bad. All 6 plugs looked nice and clean. I removed the mounting bracket from the old coil and added my new AC Delco coil. I removed my pretty red MSD distributor cap and found the button end in the top of the cap was half missing. Rotor was degraded also. Only 5000 miles on these. The piece of a sticker from the top of the ICM was loose inside the distributor, and floating around.

I went and got me a new AC Delco cap and rotor in Huntsville, Texas. Installed my new Rodney Dickman tach filter. I installed the AC Delco ICM that MustangsBware gave me last year. All is back togeather. Took her for a nice 22 mile run. Miss is gone and the tack needle is nice and smooth again.

I took pictures with my cell phone, but can't get the SYNC to work tonight. I'll post them later.
The rotor an 3 plugs:

Top inside of the cap:

Running pretty good today. Filled it it with High Test gas at the local Shell station.

Found a spot of oil underneath the car. I could not see where it was coming from as it had oil all over creation around the harmonic balancer. I need a car of carb cleaner to remove the excess before I can see the source.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 12-16-2012).]

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad she is running better Joe. Good luck chasing down the oil leak.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
40 miles to work and back. Purrs like a kitten
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad she is running better Joe. Good luck chasing down the oil leak.

It's the timing cover seal. This is gonna be fun. I put a new Fel-Pro seal in it when I built the engine 5K back. I guess China is making Fel-Pro seals now.
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the leak fixed yet Joe?
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get the leak fixed yet Joe?

Ben I am gonne replace the seal when I have the engine out for installing a 4T60 some time before March. The leak is not so bad as to dead line the car. I am gonna go to Cleveland, Tx for dinner this afternoon in it.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am gonna go to Cleveland, Tx for dinner this afternoon in it.

Who'd be fool enough to live in that god forsaken place?....
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Who'd be fool enough to live in that god forsaken place?....

Don, AKA 'MaryJane'

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, AKA 'MaryJane'

i know... that was kinda the joke... Internet humor... oh well!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Blake. Guess it went right over the top.

Ordered a pair of door hinges to stop the sagging and rattle of the passenger side door.
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car you are building. I actually got to see the cup holder mod that is in your car in Ben and Bec's car. Yes he let me take it to Wally world. Very nice mod. Did you use the champion radiator that is made for the Fiero or another part number?
thanks,
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Very nice car you are building. I actually got to see the cup holder mod that is in your car in Ben and Bec's car. Yes he let me take it to Wally world. Very nice mod. Did you use the champion radiator that is made for the Fiero or another part number?
thanks,

I used a Champion radiator that is made for the Fiero. That and the cup holder are items that are money well spent.

Lower door hinge came this morning in the mail.

I have located a 4T60 with 71K miles. A one owner car. I verified this information with Carfax.
It's a 3.33 drive ratio

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-05-2013).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my 4T60 home this afternoon.

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
I got the connectors mailed out Monday.
I did a Formula a few years ago 3.4PR with a 4T60.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/091761.html
Have fun!

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-10-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock