Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build by F355spider
Started on: 06-15-2011 10:37 PM
Replies: 728 (65544 views)
Last post by: KVCFIERO on 05-08-2020 03:47 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did any one actually figure out how you did the chop top i have read this but it seems that no one has . i have an idea on how but it might not work and may not be how you did it but between the t tops and the windshield is a 3 inch wide strip cut that down to about half as wide . i would cut just behind the wind shield and remove the 1 1/2 inches of material from there back . This is a great Build and it looks great

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Did any one actually figure out how you did the chop top i have read this but it seems that no one has . i have an idea on how but it might not work and may not be how you did it but between the t tops and the windshield is a 3 inch wide strip cut that down to about half as wide . i would cut just behind the wind shield and remove the 1 1/2 inches of material from there back . This is a great Build and it looks great

You are on the right track. You cannot cut that much because it will weaken the windshield frame too much. There is a thick metal bottom on the T-Top frame that you do not want to remove also so you can only remove about 1/2 inch in the area you are talking about.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then did you do it in 3 places first you moved the t top back 1/2 an inch then cut a 1/2 inch up front and kick the bottom of the windshield forward 1/2 inch . This way nothing looks really off

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-22-2012).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then did you do it in 3 places first you moved the t top back 1/2 an inch then cut a 1/2 inch up front and kick the bottom of the windshield forward 1/2 inch . This way nothing looks really off

I measured my windshield to the T-Top it is 3.25 inches. I will post picture when I get back to the house next week. You got off track again on your last post.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't know how you did it but it still is good to see it can be done. I hate hearing those words of you cant do that
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i just wen out and looked at it i think i would just cut the T tops down by 1 1/2 inches and be done with it i dont know if the glass can be cut easy

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-23-2012).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hate hearing those words of you cant do that

I agree .
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let me ask this are the side windows cut any different then the normal chop windows and this is a 3 inch chop and you are not shortening the t tops . If you can only remove let say a maximum of 3/4 a inch from the area between the T tops and windshield and you are not kicking the bottom of the A pillars forward then it must move back or there is just enough play from the factory to squeeze the opening down for the t top assembly
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

let me ask this are the side windows cut any different then the normal chop windows and this is a 3 inch chop and you are not shortening the t tops . If you can only remove let say a maximum of 3/4 a inch from the area between the T tops and windshield and you are not kicking the bottom of the A pillars forward then it must move back or there is just enough play from the factory to squeeze the opening down for the t top assembly

This is the picture I told you I would post for you.

I will use the set of windows I have left. same as in my other Chop-Tops.

thanks,
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
We did some more work on the engine or should I say trying to get the engine to fit.

Got the Polly in the rear.

Motor has to come back out again.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
In South Texas these things are everywhere.

After getting the Scorpions out of the car parts Gianina decided to give a hand.

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
After getting the engine out again. I boxed the strut tower to give me room for the belt and pulleys. I still wonder how other get away with not doing this???? Or they did not post it? Not sure but I had to.

I just decided to cut it out and weld back in.

Welding the piece back

I cut this piece out of the dog bone bracket that I removed.

I will have to paint the engine bay before the engine goes back in.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you know the worst part is it probably is staring all of us in the face but we just cant see due to we are looking to hard
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not really chopped. It's a figment of your imagination. lol If you need me to come give you a hand let me know!! You going to be able to make it down here on Sat?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

It's not really chopped. It's a figment of your imagination. lol If you need me to come give you a hand let me know!! You going to be able to make it down here on Sat?

That's the plan. Text me the address or call me.
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now would be a good time to reroute that hose the comes up between the passenger cradle mount bracket too.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now would be a good time to reroute that hose the comes up between the passenger cradle mount bracket too.

Yea I have been looking trying to see what others have done but no luck.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you know the worst part is it probably is staring all of us in the face but we just cant see due to we are looking to hard

I have always had the attitude of just do it when it comes to cars. I never think about it I just cut it up then I have to put it back together. Don't take it the wrong way I have been known to scrap a car or two in the last 35 years or so. There are always casualties. In the end it is just a car.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

After getting the engine out again. I boxed the strut tower to give me room for the belt and pulleys. I still wonder how other get away with not doing this???? Or they did not post it? Not sure but I had to.

I just decided to cut it out and weld back in.

Welding the piece back

I did not cut the tower. I just made two or three "dents" in the places that were to close or touching.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
I did not cut the tower. I just made two or three "dents" in the places that were to close or touching.

I rerouted the belt drive so I didn't need the idler pulleys and could remove them... no mods to the strut tower.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Yea I have been looking trying to see what others have done but no luck.

The heater hose hard line that runs in the passenger side front cradle mount box will need to be trimmed back so you can run a hose from it to the water pump connection. Also, you will need to reroute the other heater hose that merges with the lower passenger side coolant tube, as this hose needs to connect directly to the pump as well. The LS(x) thermostats are funky in that the heater circuit flow is what triggers the thermostat to open.

On mine I converted to a conventional thermostat and eliminated all the hose connections down low on the water pump. This allowed me to keep just 1 heater hose connection and keep essentially the same routing as stock 88 fiero.
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Thanks for the info. I will take all the help you want to give. You have done some nice work to your car. I think with adding the extra pulley the dents were not enough for me. The good thing I have plenty of room now.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The heater hose hard line that runs in the passenger side front cradle mount box will need to be trimmed back so you can run a hose from it to the water pump connection. Also, you will need to reroute the other heater hose that merges with the lower passenger side coolant tube, as this hose needs to connect directly to the pump as well. The LS(x) thermostats are funky in that the heater circuit flow is what triggers the thermostat to open.

On mine I converted to a conventional thermostat and eliminated all the hose connections down low on the water pump. This allowed me to keep just 1 heater hose connection and keep essentially the same routing as stock 88 fiero.

Thanks, I will check into the thermostat. I would have not thought of that at all. I would like to do it the way you did. Do you have any pictures of how you cut and were on the lines?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, I will check into the thermostat. I would have not thought of that at all. I would like to do it the way you did. Do you have any pictures of how you cut and were on the lines?

It was a lot of work hacking up the water pump and welding it all back together...

Stock:

Everything in with blue tape was removed:

After the first round of cutting:

After welding:

Original accessory drive:

My modified version:
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It was a lot of work hacking up the water pump and welding it all back together...

Stock:

Everything in with blue tape was removed:

After the first round of cutting:

After welding:

Original accessory drive:

My modified version:

Thats some nice work. I did not know it was so much work to do that.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is some really nice mods to that waterpump housing.
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F355spider,
Awesome build !!!

I was wondering about the truck alternator; were you planning on adapting the Fiero pigtails to the truck alternator? and are you using the LS4 BCM?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jims88:

F355spider,
Awesome build !!!

I was wondering about the truck alternator; were you planning on adapting the Fiero pigtails to the truck alternator? and are you using the LS4 BCM?

Thanks,
The wiring will all be new. There is a company here in San Antonio that builds custom LS harnesses that will use the LS ECM, trans controller and gas pedal, They will build a new harness for the car after I get the engine in it. They will delete the DOD also. I will take the car there then they will get their info they need and make a harness for the car.
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks,
The wiring will all be new. There is a company here in San Antonio that builds custom LS harnesses that will use the LS ECM, trans controller and gas pedal, They will build a new harness for the car after I get the engine in it. They will delete the DOD also. I will take the car there then they will get their info they need and make a harness for the car.

That is a great service to have close at hand, the closest company to me for that kind of support would probably be Darth Fiero's group. I am at the same point as far as the alternator mounting/belt routing. Your alternator mounting/ belt tensioner is a masterful design looks Great, I think it should work well for my setup as well. Thank you for posting those pictures and part numbers.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2012 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jims88:

That is a great service to have close at hand, the closest company to me for that kind of support would probably be Darth Fiero's group. I am at the same point as far as the alternator mounting/belt routing. Your alternator mounting/ belt tensioner is a masterful design looks Great, I think it should work well for my setup as well. Thank you for posting those pictures and part numbers.

If you go with it you might
want to cut out more than I. I had to bang a lot on the firewall to get alt. Clearance.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gianina did not want to wait on me this weekend so she started swaping out the valve covers.

I had to remove some material for her. to fit the back one.

With coil pack on

She was happy to push it back under the car.

Doing something. I think I was trying to get the socket on the impac.

Engine is back in the car

this time it looks like it all fits.

I have good clearance for the belt now.

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
The Alt is on and all seems to fit OK. Belt looks good and strait.

That it it untill the next trip. the car is back on all fours again.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow there are a lot of mods to get that engine in I wonder if it just wouldn't be easier to put it in longitudinal and cut and move part of the firewall 4 inches i know the axles would be out of line . i am just saying thats a lot of work and you are doing a great job
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He was close and had the saw in hand but was talked out of it lol. Glad to hear it is on all fours again Mike. That much closer!!
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the documentation of your work. I'm curious as to how you mounted the alternator. I see that it's rotating backwards, but not how it's mounted. That's pretty novel. I'd like to consider doing that myself.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He fabricated his own bracket to mount it up and out of the way of the heat from the exhaust and to get it a little further away from dust and dirt from the road.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He fabricated his own bracket to mount it up and out of the way of the heat from the exhaust and to get it a little further away from dust and dirt from the road.

Yea what he said. I got the idea from West Coast were they did something similar.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Wow there are a lot of mods to get that engine in I wonder if it just wouldn't be easier to put it in longitudinal and cut and move part of the firewall 4 inches i know the axles would be out of line . i am just saying thats a lot of work and you are doing a great job

Yea I had no idea when I started. How does it go no pain no gain. I seem to always go out on a limb. Just my nature I guess.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
digging the photo's and updates.

missed seeing you guys at Ruckus.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?
......................................................www.northtexasfieroclub.org

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock