Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build by F355spider
Started on: 06-15-2011 10:37 PM
Replies: 728 (65538 views)
Last post by: KVCFIERO on 05-08-2020 03:47 PM
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It all started when I sold my silver Chop-top. I did not realize she was so addicted to my car. We would go out and she would wear her Fiero shirts. She even put up pictures of the car around the house.
Then I gave in and let Gianina know about the 88 T-Top Stephen had for sale. She said buy it.
So Christmas day Gianina got her Christmas present. She was the proud owner of an 88 T-Top Fiero.

Loading up the car at Stephen's House. Many thanks for letting us pick it up Christmas.

On the way home had to stop at Willy's and make sure the car was hanging in there.
The Smile on her face was worth it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build

How? I must see... subscribing.
Jev-Fiero-Touge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jev-Fiero-TougeClick Here to visit Jev-Fiero-Touge's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jev-Fiero-TougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hehe, sounds like a wonderful present.

Hope to see more of this build.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ah hah !

This must be the texas t-top choptop that a member reported stopping by to see ?

Wow spider can't wait to see this one.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice man, If you are going to do the chop yourself, PLEASE post all the pics you can of the process as I have been seriously thinking about taking a sawzall to my car at some point. The chops just look amazing and while I know it is tons of work I think I am up to it. Good luck on your build and congrats to your wife. My wife and I got FieroThomas Fiero GT black with red lettering matching shirts that we wear too and they are like a little treasure when we go for a ride together in the car. Peace

Pete

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Nice man, If you are going to do the chop yourself...

Pete

Of course he is... I still wish I could've bought his silver turbo chop.

F355- are you going to be able to use your glass side windows with this chop? Wouldn't the T-top frame throw off all the proportions of your standard cuts?

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 06-15-2011).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you back in the game.

The only tricky part of the t-top chop top is that you need one extra piece of custom glass....either custom windshield or custom t-top glass. Given the rarity of the Fiero t-top it's probably easier to go with the custom windshield. Not difficult but so far no one has wanted to complete the job.

If anyone can do it, I know you can.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say if anyone can do it and do it RIGHT then Mike is the guy....Not only does it right but makes it look so simple in the process.......Will look forward to seeing the car once it is finished...

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Ah hah !

This must be the texas t-top choptop that a member reported stopping by to see ?

Wow spider can't wait to see this one.

Yea, Kevin spilled the beans. For the most part the car is already chopped. I will catch up on the build as soon as I can. She has a lot for me to do to the car so it will be ongoing for a while. Your car is looking great.

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

My wife and I got FieroThomas Fiero GT black with red lettering matching shirts that we wear too and they are like a little treasure when we go for a ride together in the car. Peace

Pete

You got it nothing like matching T-shirt pride.

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

F355- are you going to be able to use your glass side windows with this chop? Wouldn't the T-top frame throw off all the proportions of your standard cuts?

Yep, I am using my side windows. I could go back with OEM windshield but I wanted to use the 96 Sebring windshield. I will be moving the wipers forward and making a new front tray to hold the bottom of the windshield. This will give her a bubbled windshield that will extend out toward the front giving a more modern look. Will post a few more pictures tonight.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you around, Texas 5.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's gonna be so sweet!
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Yep, I am using my side windows. I could go back with OEM windshield but I wanted to use the 96 Sebring windshield. I will be moving the wipers forward and making a new front tray to hold the bottom of the windshield. This will give her a bubbled windshield that will extend out toward the front giving a more modern look. Will post a few more pictures tonight.

Sounds perfect....that's exactly how I would have expected it to work.

I wish I would have known you when I had my chop t-top...no one wanted to touch it to make glass for it and I ended up selling it. You might see it again some day as last time I knew it was at Loyde's.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Sounds perfect....that's exactly how I would have expected it to work.

I wish I would have known you when I had my chop t-top...no one wanted to touch it to make glass for it and I ended up selling it. You might see it again some day as last time I knew it was at Loyde's.

It would have done no good....That car was doomed from the first cut to the last "GORILLA" weld that was put on it....I saw the car when it first made it up this way and the way it looked at that point it was a parts car....I give Will a thumbs up for trying but not pretty.......
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

It would have done no good....That car was doomed from the first cut to the last "GORILLA" weld that was put on it....I saw the car when it first made it up this way and the way it looked at that point it was a parts car....I give Will a thumbs up for trying but not pretty.......

Yeah it was a good effort...butif I ever intend to build a chop t-top I'll ask Mike to do it.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was not expecting to do a build thread so there are not a lot of the chop.

Gianina took one of me taking out the interior.

A couple after the chop fitting the body back

Sorry but that is all I have for tonight
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see more progress. How could you do this and NOT have a build thread?!?!? lol
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your build, I'm looking forward to seeing you pull this off as no one has pulled a Choptop t-top off yet as far as I know.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow,
subscribed.
Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Good luck with your build, I'm looking forward to seeing you pull this off as no one has pulled a Choptop t-top off yet as far as I know.

Thanks,
I have a few pictures of the T-Tops in and the driver side window test fit. All the welding is done on the top. I have the body cut down in the back. I did not cut any on the T-Top frame it is as it was just a few inches lower.
The Glass shop I got the Sebring windshield from said they will cut my back window for me. I hope to get them a wood template made this weekend. I have to be at work both Saturday and Sunday this weekend so I will not be able to do much. The pictures I post tonight will get the build up to date as it is.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah it was a good effort...butif I ever intend to build a chop t-top I'll ask Mike to do it.

Your Chop helped feed Gianina with her addiction, she is still hinting around about your lambo doors. You should see the list she has for me to do.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

I can't wait to see more progress. How could you do this and NOT have a build thread?!?!? lol

There r reasons....you just havent been around long enough....

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Your Chop helped feed Gianina with her addiction, she is still hinting around about your lambo doors. You should see the list she has for me to do.

Thanks...

This is looking good. The white coupe is exactly how my chop t-top started life. Unfortunately it never got past the needing a windshield phase. The Sebring windshield and extended cowl should look really nice. I have a spare t-top car begging for this treatment.... Hmmm

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like I know this car - I believe it has my radiator in it! Looking good so far. I really like the Chop Top T Top! All you need now is a power rear window - nearly a roadster!

Pat

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I feel like I know this car - I believe it has my radiator in it! Looking good so far. I really like the Chop Top T Top! All you need now is a power rear window - nearly a roadster!

Pat

It did have right before I sold it. About a week before selling it a pin hole started leaking so had to swap in another one..Buy not complaning as the El Paso crew was a life saver.....have to throw in another thank you for all the help that night....
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait...... you can chop a T-TOP????? I thought that it was impossible to chop a T-TOP.

MORE PICS, MORE PICS.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
Wait...... you can chop a T-TOP????? I thought that it was impossible to chop a T-TOP.

Impossible?

Let’s see!

Time + Money + Skills = T/Chop Top

Yep it’s possible
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is were we are to date. I put the tops in to show the fit. No seals, I want to order the new ones for a Camaro. One picture shows my window test fit.

Every thing lined up good took me two days to weld it up. I took more measurements than needed but Gianina told me it better be right.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pat

Yes! Do a power rear window. Has anyone done this? You have the advantage of having less window to roll down.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by dratts:

Yes! Do a power rear window. Has anyone done this? You have the advantage of having less window to roll down.

This car is looking great! I love it!
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Pat

PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that it is a NOTCHBACK! Sweet build! I'm a fan of those five-spokes as well.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This sounds better than it really is... on a mid-engine car there would be tons of heat and noise coming in on you making the rear window not so pleasant.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ECM wiring is still in the way and the angle of the firewall is wrong

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

ECM wiring is still in the way and the angle of the firewall is wrong

Yep a lot of heat at the window.
This has to be the cleanest and WOW engine bay preps I have seen.

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see what you say about the angle. As far as the wiring is concerned, Joe put my wiring in the trunk so that I have a clean firewall in my ls4 Murci roadster. I always hear about heat problems with fiero roadsters, but I have two of them and engine heat has not been a problem. If anyone could do it you could Mike, but it obviously wouldn't be easy and anyway you already have a unique car, being that it's a chop top t-top. Maybe a removable window for the roadster look.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 06-18-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I see what you say about the angle. As far as the wiring is concerned, Joe put my wiring in the trunk so that I have a clean firewall in my ls4 Murci roadster. I always hear about heat problems with fiero roadsters, but I have two of them and engine heat has not been a problem. If anyone could do it you could Mike, but it obviously wouldn't be easy and anyway you already have a unique car, being that it's a chop top t-top.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero roadster is probably a different story with heat, with the whole top gone. 13 years ago (yikes!) I drove a notchback around for a couple days after removing the rear window (forget why) and thought it would be a good idea. Even with the sunroof out, the engine heat was cooking my head and I put the window back in. I think the heat just gets sucked back into the car through the open window because of the roof air flow..

Good job on the chop! I like it..

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 06-18-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

A Fiero roadster is probably a different story with heat, with the whole top gone. 13 years ago (yikes!) I drove a notchback around for a couple days after removing the rear window (forget why) and thought it would be a good idea. Even with the sunroof out, the engine heat was cooking my head and I put the window back in. I think the heat just gets sucked back into the car through the open window because of the roof air flow..

Good job on the chop! I like it..

Well so much for that idea! It would have been a lot of work anyway.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, ,so what am I missing. If you lay the window back, the T-TOP panel has to go back into the rear clip if it stays the same size. If you don't change the size of the top, then did you cut the top like the old school chops and lower the whole thing? I guess im having an issue with how its done, because I have looked at my top, and I can't see how you would do this and have the top line up with the windows.

Rob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock