Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  An Exotic Adventure,..the Rebirth of Choptop #4 ! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
An Exotic Adventure,..the Rebirth of Choptop #4 ! by exoticse
Started on: 01-28-2006 07:24 PM
Replies: 1054 (71478 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 02-25-2024 01:02 AM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Adventure has begun.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been a long time coming for that one! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll need to save this thread as "favorites."

------------------
Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, Redux & # 20

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're already tearing into it!

------------------

FORMERLY KNOWN AS: sqoach

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This should be a good one to watch.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what is the plan for it?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

So what is the plan for it?

Tough question,..some of the ideas are outlined here.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050437.html

Still kind of fluid, but definatly going GT fastback, 5" wing stands, and wing tips,...still undecided on widebody, like #15 ?

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the plan.

------------------

1985 2M4
-A/F and Voltmeter gauges in A-Pillar gauge pod
-Jenzen Bass tube............................................-Mini scorpion wing
-MTX 250W RMS amplifier..................................-2003 Subaru WRX 16" rims
-Viper Security system

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Still kind of fluid, but definatly going GT fastback, 5" wing stands, and wing tips,...still undecided on widebody, like #15 ?

Go with the widebody. widebody + chop = sweet

FieroMojo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMojoSend a Private Message to FieroMojoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Adventure has begun.

And here she sits tonight...

Earlier...

Big thanx to Rick, Dan and Duncan for working on this project. Y'all did a great job and I had a great time.

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ctrl+s for sure.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve (FieroMojo) You guys absolutely Rock !!!!

The car looks great ! I feel like a kid at x-mas all over again.

This forum is incredible. Whenever someone is in need, there is someone always willing to step to the forefront and help out !

Rick, Dan, Duncan, Steve, and anybody else who worked on the project, you guys are all grade A gentlemen, and i am definatly proud to call you guys friends.

In case you don't understand i was in a pickle needing to get the panels on the car before i ship it to Archie's for some work, and a trip to Michigan was not an option,..so i asked a few guys to help out, they rounded up some others, and they knocked this project out in one day !

They even contributed some minor parts that were missing, from some of their parts cars !

Pennocks Fiero Forum is awesome ! Steve please post the screen names of all who helped out so that we may recognize them with pluses !

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Not to be overlooked are Rob (MinnGreenGT) and Kevin, who transported a GT fastback clip for me all the way from Minnesota to Archie's shop in Illinios.

These guys deserve recognition too.

Minnesota and Michigan fiero guys, i thank you all !

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is definatly going to be a good one
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple more "pre work" photos ...

Sorry I didn't get more photos but my camera went dead and I needed to get busy working on the car. I know Steve has alot more pictures. Had a great time and learned a few things that I will use to work on my two babys. I hope to make it back to finish a couple of thing off.

Rick Kaiser

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rick a Huge thanks and a + for you !
rgirau

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rgirauSend a Private Message to rgirauEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!! Is really all I can say. When you told me about your pickle I really didn't think things would work out for you. But to see these guys do this for you really restores my faith in humanity. I hate to sound so negative but wow!!! You guys in Michigan and the Minnesota bunch really deserve kudos!!!! Its good to see people helping each other like that. Congratulations Tony I can't wait to see the car at a future meeting!!!!!
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job guys.

Here's a couple of pics from November 1998.

Archie

olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the choptop threads, always makes the favorties list. But one question what are those wheels off of , they look like our lace wheels but more modern, Beretta? (This is refereing to the fastback choptop not the notchie one above)
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olaf_fiero27:

I love the choptop threads, always makes the favorties list. But one question what are those wheels off of , they look like our lace wheels but more modern, Beretta? (This is refereing to the fastback choptop not the notchie one above)

Actually it's the same car thru out this thread. The pics I posted are from when we originally built the car in 1998. The wheels are Beretta as I recall.

Archie

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to be overlooked are Rob (MinnGreenGT) and Kevin, who transported a GT fastback clip for me all the way from Minnesota to Archie's shop in Illinios.

//images.fiero.nl/pffimages/FieroParts01_1.jpg

These guys deserve recognition too.

Minnesota and Michigan fiero guys, i thank you all !

Glad to have been of assistance Tony! I also like to be able to point at a car (like some of Madcurl's and soon to be yours) and say "I used to own a part that's on that car"

PFF
System Bot
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad also to be of some help...!! It stayed on the trailer just fine even doing 75 mph in my blazer with a bad cat..LOL

It was a blast stopping by Archies and shooting the breeze with him..me and rob could have been there all day talking to him..LOL

------------------

2004 Pontiac Cosmos Purple GTO 1 of 334
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Fiero Formula
1998 Chevy Blazer

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
huh, what did I miss here??
This is an "archie's CT #4" ??? or just your # 4 for you exoticse????

What happened to the car in the first place? <<<the history.

Sorry for not paying attention

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Here's the V8 Archie choptop list:

1. Purple Pavement Eater....................... 1998 Rich Warber
2. Great Blue Choptop ....................Aug 1998
3. 246 Dino Replica for a guy in Indiana.............. 11-13-98
4. PFF ChopTop ..................................... 11-20-98 (new owner Exoticse 2005)

The original owner found a new home for #004.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Yes as Curly stated it is an original V-8 Archie Choptop. It was only the 4th one ever completed at the time.

The original owner was Daniel Johnson (ChopTop on Pennocks) of Michigan. Dan had the car chopped in 1998, but barely drove it a dozen times i think over the years he told me.

He had stripped the car of all it's panels in anticipation of paint, but he just never got around to it and the car just sat and sat. Many times over the past year and a half i had inquired about buying the car, but each time while not motivated to finish it, Dan was still unsure if he wanted to let his baby go, and i can't blame him.

Finally this past fall i gave it one last try and finally dan was ready to sell. Thanks dan for helping me to fulfill my dream and hopefully live up to your expectations.

The car is an 85 SE with round molding, GT nose, rear bumper and ground fx. Future plans include adding a modified (choptop style) GT fastback clip.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few have asked why i decided to go fastback.

Sometimes pictures can explain things words can only imagine.

(These are all actual cars some just photochopped.)

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 01-30-2006).]

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony I’m glad things are working out for you. For the folks who wondered why I never completed finishing this chop…I don’t have a good excuse. I had big plans for it, but never carried through with them. I’m glad I managed to find someone who will give this car the attention it deserves, and I know Tony is going to do an outstanding job. And yes those are old Chevy Beretta wheels.
We still have my wife’s 85GT that I’ve advertised for sale (post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/028818.html
But please don’t ask if its for sale, she’s unsure if she wants to sell it (again). She told me the other day one reason she wants to keep it is because she doesn’t see them around anymore. So another chop isn’t out of the question, but if I did have it chopped I'd only want it chopped two inches, so I still think about owning another one. Though it has t-tops and I know Archie doesn’t do chops on those. So I’m not out of the Fiero hobby altogether, plus I’ll be selling some parts I’ve accumulated over the years in the mall section.
It will be bittersweet to watch this thread, but I know Tony is going to have a lot of fun designing and building this car, and that’s the type of person who should own it. Congrats and good luck Tony.
Dan

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 01-31-2006).]

cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony,

Duncan here. I had a good time putting your car back together (except for a few choice cuss words). I learned sone things too. I replaced panels I have never taken off before. When it comes time to tear mine completly apart, I wont have any problems now. I had a good time hang'in with the fellas. That was my first time being at a Fiero gathering.

I loved chop tops when I first saw a pic of one many years ago and fell in love all over again when we had yours together. I live that 3/4 front view of it in Steve's shop.

Good luck with it.

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exoticse,

Glad to hear and see everything worked out! I spoke with Rick's wife Vicki at our meeting last night about the panel "party." I never did get to talk with Rick as by time I got around to seek him out he had left. Great job Rick and the rest of the crew!

Dan,

I received your voice mail about your 85. If you have a party that is going to purchase the car then I'll let it be. If the situation changes you can always reach me here.

Mark

------------------

sig courtesy of F-I-E-R-O
Awesome Fiero items by F-I-E-R-O

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duncan, Mark, all you guys thanks a bunch. Can't say enough about Michigan Fiero folks. Outstanding people.

BTW do any of you guys know of someone who has a " good " GT decklid and decklid vent covers.
I need to buy some for my fastback conversion.

Archie do you have any in your field of dreams ??

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-02-2006).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What paint colors are you going with? I still like it as a notchback

------------------

Custom Fiero Fiberglass

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exoticse, hey this is Dan (blakc sweatshirt in the pics) Your cars gonna be awesome! I enjoyed working on it and along with Duncan was a first fiero 'gathering' of mine. I'd love to see the car down the road when its finished! Its really sweet. Good luck with it.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Duncan, Mark, all you guys thanks a bunch. Can't say enough about Michigan Fiero folks. Outstanding people.

BTW do any of you guys know of someone who has a " good " GT decklid and decklid vent covers.

check it out
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/030333.html

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, as I told you several weeks ago, I don't have any GT parts left anymore. I've given most of them to customers who didn't have all the little pcs. for us to put their cars together. You wouldn't believe how many peopleshow up with a rear clip & a decklid & think they have it all covered. All you have here are the rear clip & the inner window panels.

At a minumum, you don't have the following parts:
Decklid with latch
the 2 little plastic clips that attach the trailing edge of the inner window panels to the rear clip
Engine covers
engine cover mounting brackets
Moldings
Side markers
tail lights
tail light screws
GT Trunk area end covers
Trunk seal
Wheel well liners
Fasteners for all the above.
& more

It takes a lot of looking to get all that stuff from different places. It's a lot more than a rear clip & a decklid.

Archie

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie.

No worries i will get it all. In fact i have the GT tail light assembly, temporary covers (eventually going to order new ones from FS), and GT wiring harness already in the works and soon to be in route to you. The round GT moldings i already have on the car.

The rest i am sure i can get in short order, I just inquired again to see if anything had fallen into your lap since the last time i had talked to you. You never know.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-02-2006).]

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2006 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm tuned!

JG

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any "news" to report?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Any "news" to report?

Yeah a bit. Michigan fiero guys finishing up a few tidbits for me this past weekend, led by FieroMojo (Steve). The rear wheel wells getting swapped out from the notchback to the GT ones.

** Note to Archie ** Watch your mail !! A tail light wiring harness, hardware , and temporary lens covers on the way thanks to fking74, who snagged them off a Boneyard GT for me !

I say temporary because i plan to shortly replace the lens covers with ones from the FIero Store. I believe one of the covers fking74 found was damaged anyway, so it would be necessery to do so.

He also was able to grab the rear sidemarkers along with it's screws. The tail light screws were missing so my search will continue for those.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-13-2006).]

watdge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for watdgeSend a Private Message to watdgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exoticse, when you get your car back to winter park, i'd love to see it. If not, I suppose I couldn't miss it at Daytona next month. Either way, nice to see the progress.. can't wait to see one of these choptops in person.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Watdge,

No sweat you are more than welcome to come check it out when i get it down here. Unfortunatly it won't be here for Daytona as i decided not to rush things and get a few more minor things done at Archie's that i wanted finished.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock