Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  An Exotic Adventure,..the Rebirth of Choptop #4 ! (Page 25)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
An Exotic Adventure,..the Rebirth of Choptop #4 ! by exoticse
Started on: 01-28-2006 07:24 PM
Replies: 1054 (71478 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 02-25-2024 01:02 AM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Newness.

Looks great Tony...
IP: Logged
ChopTop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony just watched your YT Exotic Adventure vid, very nicely done and brings back fond memories. BTW, still have the 88 only Beechwood leather seats if your interested in them….:LOL:
Signed the original ChopTop. , aka SteelJeep@aim.com.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know Tony, I wasn't going to mention this because everybody has their own personal taste. But I really think you should point those "brown air ducts" under your bumper straight ahead or at least have them both point to the side for some symmetry.
Also, aren't you concerned that they'll make a lot of noise going down the road?

Joking aside, what about an update buddy? Waiting to see what those new shoes look like.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

You know Tony, I wasn't going to mention this because everybody has their own personal taste. But I really think you should point those "brown air ducts" under your bumper straight ahead or at least have them both point to the side for some symmetry.

Now that's pretty damn funny right there.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have been wanting to do a custom rear bumper and have been banging my head over what design to go with,,,,well finally i decided to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and go with what i have.

This piece originally belonged to Blacktree, who glassed the lower half onto an original fiero bumper. Fearing it would eventually split, he made a fiberglass copy and basically was tossing this in the trash !.

i couldn't stand to see such a nice piece go to waste so even though i had no immediate plans for it , i asked if i could have it and he said sure why not, Mike is one of the coolest guys i have met in the fiero world,..very knowledgeable, talented, and always willing to help. Thanks again Mike.

My plans are to tweek this big time, but basically i will be using just the lower half and adding it to my existing bumper, but with some cool and distinct changes.

Stay tuned.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's a blast from the past! I actually forgot the old diffuser fascia was still in existence. It'll be pretty cool to see it put to use.

I'd like to make a suggestion, though. It would be best to use the old diffuser fascia as a plug for a mold, and use the mold to mod your rear fascia. Of course, you would make your tweaks to the old fascia before pulling the mold, so you you won't have to tweak the mold.

I say this because there's still a lot of the original fascia material left in the bottom of the diffuser fascia. I'd hate to see you do a bunch of work just to see the thing come apart.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-12-2013).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got going on #4 today with the help of Blacktree (Mike). First off we did some measurments for the widening of the HRE wheels and got that squared away.

Next we went over some fiberglass body stuff that needs cleaned up to bring the car up to snuff IMO. We hosed down and cleaned the engine and tried to find the source of some mysterious smoke coming from the back of the engine compartment. Very, very light, can barely see it, but still something that concerns me nonetheless.

We checked various things to make sure they were not contacting the exhaust but could find nothing. The plan is to have a couple of the 3800 gurus from the club come over and check it out to make sure everything is OK.

One of the main things i wanted mike to look at was the rear bumper and he had some very good news. Most of the portion i wanted to use is all fiberglass !! In fact the cutout line where the glass meets the old bumper is perfect for what i need, so stay tuned !

Now as far as the wheels go, next up HRE ! Need to get ahold of them on Monday to finalize my service order and get things popping !
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Operation Freshen up is officially underway !!

Among the tweeks, high polished lip, repainted black centers and a big old phat lip !!

ETA about 2.5 weeks.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-01-2013).]

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man....im JEALOUS !! cant wait to see your wheels ! Watching your rear there Tony.......
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updated Modifications checklist :

SE notchback to GT fastback Conversion
V8-Archie choptop
v8-Archie Vertical door hinges
V8-Archie Mad-Arch widebody kit
Whodeanie customs hips
Fiero Warehouse chin spoiler
Fiero Warehouse wing spoiler
Fiero Fiberglass nose
3800 Supercharged engine
West Shore Fabricating Coilovers
HRE wheels
Custom Hood scoop
Audi style LED lighting
RX-8 Side Mirrors
Mini Cooper Side markers
Mazda rear reflectors
V8 Archie dash and interior (yet to be installed)

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-03-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to see your car at a meeting before I move to Georgia in the near future.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wheels arrived at their destination today !! Oh baby am i excited !

Estimating 2.5 weeks on the paint and lip work.

Red paint, gloss black centers, and high polished phat lips,...soooooo sexy and aggressive looking !

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Baby lip !

Test fit the newly refurbished HRE wheels and WOW do they look sweet !!

HRE does an incredible job and the wheels look 100% brand new. Part of my plan was to go with a very fat lip, in this case 4.5", with that in mind i knew because of the offset that it was going to require a little body work, but it was soooo worth it. the wheels stick out just a bit, so a baby lip is going to be added along with pulling in the rear pillars to create more of a shelf/hip. .

Madcurl just did this (baby lip) on his current fiero redux project (below) and it is so simple it was a no brainer imo.

I will also be tweeking the decklid, spoiler, and the rear bumper.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 09-22-2013).]

KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That lip is over an archie widebody? What is it from?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

That lip is over an archie widebody? What is it from?

Yes, just a cut up front fender, which is what the archie widebody kit was made from in the beginning.

I will get a fiberglass one and just do the same.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One step forward, two steps back,....

Just when it looked like things were going good.

Got some really bad news (money drain) that just blew my househould budget out of the water for 2014.

That means fun money = 0

Oh well i guess i will just have to imagine what it will look like with my projected color scheme (similar below)

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Money shot (literally).

sorry for the phone pics.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-17-2013).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Out with the old:

(wheels were before refinishing)

In with the new

Both

Hard to see in the pictures but the old ones were scuffed up, faded, and pealing back.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-17-2013).]

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get the new center caps, ebay?
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Where did you get the new center caps, ebay?

No directly from HRE.

They give the wheels that little extra bling.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie, thanks for everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGNg4Dx-cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQtj8Z3sbc

Enjoy your retirement !
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great picture tony. Next winter archie will be sitting on his patio in a t shirt drinking a cold beer smiling at that pic.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some goodies for number 4.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003

More.

For the garage.

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your garage is just important as the car that sits in It,and your doing a good job at both.You don't happen to have any more pics of madcurls car do ya? Nice door panels buy the way.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 04-26-2014).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

Your garage is just important as the car that sits in It,and your doing a good job at both.You don't happen to have any more pics of madcurls car do ya? Nice door panels buy the way.

thanks.

which of madcurls cars do you refer to ? He has 5 different fieros, many of which are chopped and or widebodies.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Adding these to the build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPinxQ0EAI

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-26-2014).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks.

which of madcurls cars do you refer to ? He has 5 different fieros, many of which are chopped and or widebodies.

Yea I should be more specific.He had a blue notchback with big fat tires he was just starting before he left the forum(sad day) Is that the redux project?
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

Yea I should be more specific.He had a blue notchback with big fat tires he was just starting before he left the forum(sad day) Is that the redux project?

That is madspeed, it is on hold while he finishes the redux (below)

and #15

madspeed build here:

http://modifiedfieros.probo...ation-process?page=1
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link Tony.I might have to look in to that light kit,that looks really nice
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Help needed.

During my car's stay at various shops over the years my very good tail lights that i purchased from Dr. CPU have taken their lumps. During the extensive modification process of my choptop it looks like primer, bondo, or paint has gotten dripped and spotted on the lenses. I totally blame myself for not taking precautions and for leaving my car in the shops for so long.

With that in mind it is time to move on and clean these up. Any suggestions on how i should go about this and what materials or solutions i should use ??

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there,

Yank them off the car, and wet sand them with 2000 grit. It is such a small, smooth area, that it is really difficult to mess up. Grab a five gallon bucket, fill it with warm, really soapy water about half way, and just keep that sandpaper clean and soapy. I like Dawn because it really does remove any oils from the surface. You can feel any imperfections with just the right amount of pressure and speed with the sandpaper. Just polish them out with the 2000 grit. A hose with a light stream of water is good to rinse the debris away, and to check on the surface from time to time. Should only take a few minutes or more to start to see the nice finish that you want.

When done, polish them with a high quality polish, and wax to keep the appearance up. A polisher is best to bring up a luster, but be careful that the lenses do not get away from you. When doing these for folks in the past, I used several pieces of 2 x 4 screwed into my work bench to keep the lenses from taking off. These things are brittle! I also liked to use an old towel between my work bench, and the lenses.

You are particular. This is a really satisfying job to do on your own. The difference will be amazingly apparent. You will brag. Others will listen. Smiles will abound.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-09-2014).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Hey there,

Yank them off the car, and wet sand them with 2000 grit. It is such a small, smooth area, that it is really difficult to mess up. Grab a five gallon bucket, fill it with warm, really soapy water about half way, and just keep that sandpaper clean and soapy. I like Dawn because it really does remove any oils from the surface. You can feel any imperfections with just the right amount of pressure and speed with the sandpaper. Just polish them out with the 2000 grit. A hose with a light stream of water is good to rinse the debris away, and to check on the surface from time to time. Should only take a few minutes or more to start to see the nice finish that you want.

When done, polish them with a high quality polish, and wax to keep the appearance up. A polisher is best to bring up a luster, but be careful that the lenses do not get away from you. When doing these for folks in the past, I used several pieces of 2 x 4 screwed into my work bench to keep the lenses from taking off. These things are brittle! I also liked to use an old towel between my work bench, and the lenses.

You are particular. This is a really satisfying job to do on your own. The difference will be amazingly apparent. You will brag. Others will listen. Smiles will abound.

Thanks Tony !

In the meantime, ..been busy hunting down a good sale on some rubber.

Going 255/30/19 in the front on 19 x 8.5 wheels with 2.5" lip

Doing 295/30/19 in the rear on 19 x 10.5 wheels with 4.5" lip

Never knew how difficult it was finding all the right sizes, in the same brand, and at a decent price.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-19-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting build how about an update please.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony, you have great weather down there, so no excuse I had to bump your thread up
I hear you're thinking to doing some tweaking on the rear deck lid that's very interesting
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2014 ?!!? Holy cow !! 😮 Guess it is time to wake up from my slumber !
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2014 ?!!? Holy cow !! 😮 Guess it is time to wake up from my slumber !

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock