Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ecotec swap (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ecotec swap by wftb
Started on: 11-16-2006 10:44 PM
Replies: 970 (81671 views)
Last post by: wftb on 09-20-2021 04:13 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cut the bottom of the trunk off today .i left the part in front of the rear bumper as this wont interfere with anything .there is lots of room for the turbo and exhaust now .i am going to put a cross brace at the back of the trunk and then put sheet metal across to make a flat floor .the cross brace will be 'l' channel steel .this will give a place to hang exhaust brackets from.
IP: Logged
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
niemann99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for niemann99Send a Private Message to niemann99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, the guys that make the Solstice headers are less than a half hours drive from me. I'm going to check them out this weekend if I get time. From the pictures, the headers ( and the Solstice exh manifolds for that matter ) look like they would dump out just above the differential if installed on a FWD or Fiero with Ecotec.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let the boosting begin!
subaru turbo from an impreza (i think) now to make some adapter plates.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i made a cardboard template of the turbo's exhaust inlet and then put it up against the the ecotecs exhaust manifold outlet to see if they can be mated without an adapter plate,and the answer is yes.all i have to do is drill and tap 3 holes and the subaru turbo will bolt right on to the eco stock exhaust manifold ,thanks to the subaru's small three bolt inlet pattern.so the only adapter plate i will have to make will be for the exhaust outlet side .pics later today hopefully .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
now that the turbo is bolted up ,the real work begins .and a lot of decisions .i found a lot of threads on turbocharging ecotecs on www. ecotecforum.com .the confusing part is what system to go with .i just spent two hours reading about the hptuners system.it sounds like the best bet ,but i am worried that i may still need other things to make it work properly.alternately ,i can go with a relatively simple mechanical fuel management system like an aeromotive #0271313107 (supposedly a bolt on)or similar vortech mechanical fmu .i am planning on controlling detonation with a water/methanol injection system .again a lot of choices and prices depending on method of control .i was looking at the snow units sold by sumitt racing.i am planning on running bigger injectors ,but a lot of posts tell me about problems with too big injectors , so i am going to try the stock injectors first and see how they work and then decide on upgrade size .this turbo will support 370 hp but my stock connecting rods have an upper limit of about 300 hp . so i am planning about a 10 psi max boost. hopefully that will yield about 200 hp and not too many driveability problems or the need for another fuel pump.
anyway , back to figuring out the plumbing .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
everything is going fairly smoothly but the whole job is being held back while i wait for more parts to arrive.i want to fire this thing up but i still have not got the fitting to feed the oil to the turbo .apparently it will not be shipped til the 2nd of feb.lots of plumbing on turbo

i have relocated the maf and vacuum signal to the fuel pressure regulator to the non boosted part of the intake system .i will need to add a check valve in between the valve coer and the airbox on the 5/8 tube that joins them so that i wont be pushing boost in to the valve cover.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with the turbo! Im MS stuff should be here this week, hopefully I can get started on that. Sometime I would like to get a count of us Ecotec swap guys. I know you fieroturbo, the guy that has a website (name escapes me right now) and me that are doing a swap. Is there anyone else you know of?

BTW thanks for answering my q's!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is dejayee (i dont think i spelled it right) ,rodo with a really nice automatic and myself have running cars .there is another pff member besides fiero turbo who is also doing a turbo but he hasnt posted in a while .he is in the U.S. navy like fiero turbo and is away for long stretches.there is also kmunson's friend who is going to make and sell kits .there is a thread about it in the chat section .some really nice looking work ,and his car must be close to running.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I hope I can make the top ten at least. I got word that I ***should*** have my ecm stuff this week. I will be putting the adapter to the motor and mounting it in the car attached to the tranny but no flywheel or clutch. This way I can line it up and make the mounts for it. I hope I can have the motor running this by this time next month.

To keep it on topic, is the MAP the sensor that the wires run with the fuel injector wires, just behind the TB? I found my airbox too, since I dont want to use that, do you think I will be ok with just putting a hole in the intake tube I am using ( its a CAI off my old cavailer)?

Also do you still have the powersteering pump attached? I took mine off and need some sort of cover for it, I made one but its light sheet metal that I doubt would hold.

Thanks
WrenchingPilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WrenchingPilotSend a Private Message to WrenchingPilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Wtfb,

Did the Cavalier axles swap right into the Fiero hubs?
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WrenchingPilot:

Hey Wtfb,

Did the Cavalier axles swap right into the Fiero hubs?

I believe he used the fiero axles w/ the cavailer transmission, the axles are interchangeable from what I know

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the plug for themaf sensor comes out of the group of wires that goes to the ingnition module on the valve cover.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i coudnt get a good picture of the sensor itself ,but all i did was take the grommett from the air box that holds the sensor in place and drilled a 5/8 hole in my new intake tube and the gromett will fit in the hole and the sensor pushes right in .
the axles from any manual tranny fiero will fit right in to the cavalier 5 speed transmission.you just have to get the tranny located properly in the cradle and they are the right length .i used the cavalier rubber mounts and fabbed my own mounting steel that was welded to the fiero cradle .i found there is much less drivetrain shake compared to the fiero muonting system .the cavalier mounts seem to brace against each other better.there are pics at the start of the thread.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i took the power steering pump off and covered it with a piece of 3/16 plate steel i cut to match the flange on the pump .used rtv for a gasket and bolted it on .there is almost no oil pressure here ,it just bleeds out enough to lube the pump bearing so the rtv(hitemp black) works well.
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have made up a plate i need to route the spent exhaust gases out of the turbo .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
the hole in the middle of the plate is threaded so i can bolt this header flange stub to start the exhaust system .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i also got the blowoff valve i am going to use .in the sumitt website it is listed as a vortech part .but it is a bosch part .this was the cheapest blow off valve i could find .when the pressure gets to high when you snap the throttle shut ,this valve will open and the pressure will get recirculated back to the pre turbo intake tube .the pressure that it blows off at seems to be controlled by a vacuum line that goes in to the top of the valve .not sure yet how i will hook that up .
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know your doing turbo now, but if anyone else needs an exhaust header this looks like a good replacement style
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like it comes straight down, how far it goes towards the trunk maybe a problem.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the engine is running again and i have boost now.how much i dont know as i dont have a boost guage yet .i have to relocate the valve cover vent to the vacuum side of the intake as the valve cover was getting presureized by the turbo .so some more tubes to run.the plumber's nightmare so far :
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch that ICM. Those things are sensative little buggers. There's a recall on the 03 and older units. They like to short out on ya and leave you stranded. Bad ground in several places on them. Might be why GM uses a dist on thier turbo race engine.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats good to know .i will make sure nothing is touching the icm .thanks
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tonight i had a magor setback on my turbo project .the seals on my brand new tubocharger are leaking oil ! i dont know if they were bad from the start or if i had a blockage on my return line .it is supposedly under warranty so i will wait and see what the dealer says .so now the turbo is off again and work is halted .i thought buying a new turbo would avoid these problems.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bump
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got the turbo to stop leaking oil today .turns out i had an obstruction in the oil return line .once i opened up the hole and put a bigger fitting on , it stopped leaking .the people that sold it to me told me it is designed to leak if oil return flow gets restricted.
so today i am going to put on the exhaust .i would like to take it for a ride , but the roads are covered with salt and sand and slush .we are getting a thaw now after 5 weeks of almost daily snow .
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
the turbo still leaks a littl ,but just while it warms up.hopefully this wont ruin my cat converter .next time i will buy a genuine name brand turbo instead of a cheap knock off .
the exhaust system is now complete and it sounds great and everything is nicely tucked up where the bottom of the trunk used to be .i have covered the hole in the trunk with some sheet metal.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i really need to clean up my garage .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
since it has been so cold working in the garage these days,we are going to cancun mexico for some warming up .then i am going golfing in florida with my brothers and some friends .back in two weeks .
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

since it has been so cold working in the garage these days,we are going to cancun mexico for some warming up .then i am going golfing in florida with my brothers and some friends .back in two weeks .

What airline are you flying on? I fly 3 Detroit - Cancun - Detroit (Sun, Mon, Tue) with USA 3000 Airlines. I have not looked on a map to see exactly where you are located in Canada. We get many Canadians that fly with us from Windsor.

He must be gone already. Oh well. He lives about halfway between Toronto and Detroit so I might see him tomorrow and never know it.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 02-24-2007).]

Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2007 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I can't tell for sure in this picture but your oil return line does not look to be down hill. If it isn't this would account for the burning oil.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

What airline are you flying on? I fly 3 Detroit - Cancun - Detroit (Sun, Mon, Tue) with USA 3000 Airlines. I have not looked on a map to see exactly where you are located in Canada. We get many Canadians that fly with us from Windsor.

He must be gone already. Oh well. He lives about halfway between Toronto and Detroit so I might see him tomorrow and never know it.

He needs to come back since hes the only guy here that can help me! lol i guess im on my own till fieroturbo or he comes back

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am back .we flew westjet out of hamilton ontario .great little airport ,no need for shuttles and we got there 3 hours early .an hour early would have been more than enough.went to gran bahia principe coba resort in the mayan riviera near cancun mexico.then home and off to orlando fl to golf with 2 of my brothers and a friend.great trips .i need to go back to work for a rest.
the oil return line still points slightly uphill and this is why it still leaks on startup.i tried twisting the turbo(it is joined together with a u channel strap) but then the air outlet hits the frame .i think i can take the oil outlet tube off and cut it shorter and this will give me more of a downhill slope and the problem should be solved .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock