Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ecotec swap (Page 25)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ecotec swap by wftb
Started on: 11-16-2006 10:44 PM
Replies: 970 (81691 views)
Last post by: wftb on 09-20-2021 04:13 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my track building thread
http://slotblog.net/topic/6...ild-slot-car-tracks/

Thanks for the reply Shem have a great day. Steve
IP: Logged
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done much of anything to the Fiero lately. I was busy with two slot car tracks, and then it was camping out west in Banff Alberta for almost 5 weeks. While I was building the second track, I had to move the Fiero out of it's shed to get more space and it got rained on- a lot. I took it for a ride after the track was done and did not realize that the air filter was sopping wet and this happened:

The paper filter was so wet the turbo sucked and shredded a bunch of it in to the charge piping. Where it found it's way to the heat exchanger and almost
plugged it solid. Above 3000 RPM the engine would lose all of it's power. Amazing that it even got out of the driveway when you think about it.

I carefully cleaned it all out and got the charge piping back together. There was also a cracked fitting on the water side of the heat exchanger that I had to fix. While I was at that I moved where the resorvoir feeds the pump to keep the pump impeller wet on startup.

I have driven it a bit and there does not seem to be any damage to the turbo. I ordered a cone flanged air filter from frozenboost.com and it has protective wire mesh on both sides of the filter so I don't think I will see a repeat of this problem.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 09-28-2020).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
The new air filter:

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all the recent changes I took some scans and did not like what I saw

So I removed timing in the areas that were affected. That helped a lot but still had 3 to 5 degrees of KR where I usually did not see any. I did a scan with the water meth shut off and that did not make it much worse, just changed the profile of the KR spikes. So I figured the water meth was not doing much of anything. I used to have the nozzle on the elbow just before the throttle body but that fitting leaked so I moved it to an existing fitting about 10 inches before the TB. I moved the nozzle back to the elbow.

It is the same fitting that leaked but all cleaned up and with a lot of sealent. And that did the trick. The only KR I am getting now are small random spikes of .2 to 1 that are showing up without reason once in a while. I have suspected false knock for a while and this confirms it. But the scans are looking good now. A bit of false knock is not going to hurt anything.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slot car track, THAT is freaking cool.
I don't want to change this topic, as cool as it is, but do you have a thread on the slot car tracks? I would love to see what you have done.
Thanks
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The link to my track thread is at the top of this page. I used to make my living building 8 lane commercial tracks. No one alive today has built more tracks than me. Now it is just a hobby, much more fun than building tracks for a living. The track above is my latest. I did the wood work, the owner is going to paint braid and wire it.

I think the last 6 pages or so of the thread have the most pictures and links to videos I have made.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 10-08-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those things are magical. My dad had some cars and evidently went to some tracks but never took us kids. ???!!! He took us to look at our local track once, but that was it. Makes me wonder when he would find time to go.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We grew up in Toronto and there were 2 raceways we could take the bus to. Then my family got transfered up here and I did not see a track till 1984. And suddenly hooked again.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2021 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold this car the other day. Not getting the paint job done in a reasonable amount of time kind of did me in. And after owning and playing with the car for 22 years I want to work on a different car for a change. My 91 civic wagon needs an AC compressor and that will be this winter's project. I have probably spent 20K on this Fiero over the time I have owned it including the original purchase price but that is only about 910.00 per year. As far as a hobby goes, I spend more than that on a season of golfing. Good luck to the new owner, hopefully he gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Lzbravo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LzbravoSend a Private Message to LzbravoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey steve i forgot you have this forum still! im loving every second of the car i installed the eurotec bracket and the push pull cables and it shifts way better now
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2021 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Thanks for posting and feel free to keep updating the thread....Steve
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock