Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project 88GT has started ...official thread (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project 88GT has started ...official thread by fiero67
Started on: 05-20-2004 09:32 PM
Replies: 126 (12509 views)
Last post by: fiero67 on 10-25-2012 04:49 PM
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did someone say UPDATE?

Well, I have been busy...
Ive been working on a make-shift carport...15' x 20'...

to store my formula and my sons 86GT. Up here in Maine, the winters last for at least 6 months. Its important to protect what you can.
On my project, Ive fiberglassed my two peice headliner board. It was very soft. Now I have it bounted in to allow it to form to the shape of the roof. Ill give it the winter and then Ill glass the two peices together, in place. I do think the board is from a different year, because of the interior light area. It has a bump there, that I dont see in my formula.

Like I said the 2.8 I took out of my 87GT is almost ready for a full tune up. It has great compression, so I wont be tearing it down.
It will get a full paint job as well. The valve covers and plenum will be painted the same as the body. Original metallic burgendy.

Another project I have been working on are the wingstands..I want my wing higher than the original, but I cant afford the extended wingstands that are for sale. So ,I took on the job of making my own.
heres how Ive been doing it, in case anyone else wants to try to make their own...

I traced the bottom of the original stands onto blue board ( which can be bought at any hardware store))
Then I cut them out using an electric knife. This method works great for forming lines. The arrows on the blue board lets me know that this area needs to be extended.

Then, with it roughly cut out, I used that famous ducT tape to tape the cutouts onto the stands. Marking the curves onto the sides to continue the curves. Then cut the curves out. I also had to hollow out the middle of the bottom of these stands to make them sit on the decklid without rocking back and forth.

Originally, the stands sat level on the decklid. Im thinking a tilt to it would be better. But, not too much to make it look like I was trying to create major downforce. Because I dont think the height of the spoiler is enough to grab all that major air needed to create that kind of downforce. So, I sliced off about 3/4" off the front to make it lean forward.

The next step would be to finish shaping it and get it ready for fiber glass. As far as mounting it , now that I have taken away the mounting holes, Ill buy some anchors that I can glass into the bottom to recieve the bolts.
I hope you enjoyed reading this and feel free to ask me any questions to come to mind. John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 04-14-2008).]

IP: Logged
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump for an update.

I love this thread.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Bump for an update.

I love this thread.

Agreed.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2006 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are some pictures John (fiero 67) asked me to post of a project he is working on.

* pictures edited out, now posted below *

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 01-15-2006).]

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks exoticse, for posting these pics for me. Now all I need to do is find out the problem Im having with PIP.

Ive been working on the armrest light. The light comes on when you open the door. So its a safety thing as well as a good looking armrest. As you can see, I started with a normal armrest....

Using a light strip off the armrest of a 92 Olds 98 Regency... I test fitted it up against a stock Fiero armrest. I would have liked to use the red lighted part as well, but the angle were not close enough, not to mention the fiero armrest isnt long enough. The black areas you see is metal, so I can bend those peices into the shape of the armrest.

I made a template of the light strip and transfered it onto the armrest. Then proceeded to cut the vinyl material off the areas that the light strip would reccess into.The backing is plastic on the armrest. Since these are lighted, I had to drill holes for the light boxes to sit into.

With the strip roughly installed , I placed it back onto the door to see if it was all that I thought it would be. I like it alot!

Another angle of it after some more bending on the strip to make it sit just perfect. This is going to take alot of minor tweking in order for this to fit well on the armrest. Not to mention I have to take it all apart after the bending to re-level the front of it. Bending this peice warps the edges, so after it fits just right, It will be time to clean it up

Here is a close up. I may paint the black charchol grey to match the interior.

I hope you guys enjoy my newest mod. Ill have to post another pic after I have it installed back onto the door and wired in. It wil be wired into the under dash lights.

Thanks for looking . John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 01-15-2006).]

BITBYFIEROBUG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BITBYFIEROBUGSend a Private Message to BITBYFIEROBUGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep it coming.

------------------
Live Like You Were Dying

ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero67:

Thanks for the bumpo, its been a long winter.
Nothing really new to post, its too cold for me to work on any of them.
Where I live, we still have around 20" of snow on the ground and two more storms coming this week.
Enjoy the pic, to all you guys down south and west of here...

Luckily the Formula found shelter and the project88GT is in my garage. THe rest have to live outside until spring. Think warm thoughts. John

HEY THERES MY OLD FIERO

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ig88vsbobafett:

HEY THERES MY OLD FIERO

You are close enough to me that you may see it some day at a show. And no you cant have it back....lol. john

ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are close enough to me that you may see it some day at a show. And no you cant have it back....lol. john

Hehe. Is that the most rust free fiero you have ever seen i bought that when i lived in wyoming and drove it back here when i moved.

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ig88vsbobafett:

Hehe. Is that the most rust free fiero you have ever seen i bought that when i lived in wyoming and drove it back here when i moved.

I got under that one and totally checked it out. Its hard to imagine, that even the brake lines were free of rust. You know that 5-speed you put in her? Well, its going to magically turn into an auto, for my wife. I contacted Mark about buying a sunroof top off him and he threw in the car.

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did those wing stands turn out!?!

i am very interested, this is a great build and i want more!?!?!

great reading so far

- Phil

------------------

"When enough is enough, thats when you know.....your halfway there"

PFF
System Bot
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump....
Believe it or not, its been snowing up here still!!
I havent finished the wing stands yet, just because it is too cold to fiberglass and the wife wont let me do it in the living room. But soon Ill start posting more pics...All the actually work is done on alot of mods, I just have to wait until the weather clears and warms a little and then I can finish all my mods. Thanks for poking in and bumping this. John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally I got some time to work on my Project Fiero. I have my entire front suspension torn down and ready for sand blasting.
. But as far as the wingstands go, Ive made great progress today. I continued shaping the extensions with sand paper

With the edge of my sanding block I sanded 1/4" grooves on the edge that is closest to the actual stand so it would recess into the wingstand. They fit perfectly.

Now that they are shaped and sanded smooth, I can lay my first layer of glass.

The shape is finally comming together. I like the way they flow.
What I like the best, is the extensions are the same size as the original gasket for the windstands.
Thanx for reading this build thread. John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 06-21-2007).]

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumping to keep it alive. John

------------------

Project88GT build up thread

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bumping to keep it alive. John

sometimes life gets in the way of working on my project. I wish i could add something, but I did 3 engine swaps this year on non Fiero cars. UGH

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 11-09-2006).]

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping it alive, this is the year I bring her to life!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2007 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any updates ??
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump-o
Looks like the weather is finally breaking here and I can actually start working on the Fiero again. And I got PIP working again. Stay tuned for pictures...Ive got alot of things I will be doing this year, now that I can finally get back to the Project! Im learning to air brush as of the moment and plan on Air brushing the entire Fiero. HAppy days! John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im currently working on a few projects for my project and Im very detailed, so it takes such a long time to complete something. Ive been finishing up the wingstand extensions, while I wait for new poly bushings to arrive. Ive taken on the task of fully rebuilding the front suspension. I had to paint it as well. It took me awhile to choose a color for my springs...but this is it.

3 coat of matallic maroon and 4 coats of candy apple clear coat.

I cant see myself going through all this work and not redoing every part.

POR15 and POR15 chassis coat.
Thanks for looking
John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked on the wingstands again today. Im getting so close!!!!
Found some wonderful stuff called "Fiber Hair". It has fiberglass in it and it is easy to spread . BUT it dries rock friggin hard , so what ever you put it on make sure you have it close to where you want it.
In this first picture, I noticed my wingstands were two different sizes..go figure. so I taped them together (using a bunch of stuff to make sure they were plumb)

This way I could make them both the same size...then proceeded to lay a good coat of the Fiber Hair.

While they were together I sanded them down smooth
*** note: The fiber Hair will not stick to the blue painters tape***

Then I seperated them to allow them to fully cure.

Now what I need to do is sink in some kind of bolt so I can bolt them onto the rear deck lid...and I have to bore out a tunnel through the new wingstand part into the old wingstand . This is the bolt that holds the wingstand onto the spoiler.
Im actually having a fun time on these wingstands! Although the pictures make the wing stands look so messy
Thanks for looking
John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 06-25-2007).]

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im almost finished with the wingstands !!

just a little smoothing and primer.

I only need to find a good way to secure the new wingstand bolts.As you can see I drilled out two 1" holes to anchor the new bolts. The holes will be about 1" deep and filled with the Fiber Hair and the bolts/washers in the middle of them. the slot on the forward hole is access the mounting hole to the wing.
PFF
System Bot
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im just about done with the front suspension.....

I installed the crossmember back on my project to install the springs and the shocks.
Brand new:
Ball joints- upper and lower
Poly bushing for control arms and sway bar
KYB heavy duty gas-0 shocks
all from the Fiero Store

Nothing has been torqued down because Im going to remove the crossmember to finish the steering rack and tie-rods.
Ive been reading other threads on rebuilding the front end and know that I have to have the Fiero on tires to torque some of the front end.
The bearing and spindle assembly will be reconditioned as well.
Thanks for looking.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any updates ?
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Any updates ?

Thanks for the continued interest.
All my modified body panels are now removed in order to finish the undercarraige and are in storage.
I moved my Project outside ( for a weekend) to remove the engine and cradle. Success!! The 4 banger with auto tranny is now out of it. Its time to start redoin the rear cradle and get it ready for the 2.8! Im excited
Im just waiting for the local heating company to get here to hook up my heater, I plan on repainting the engine after cleaning it . Its still on the engine stand waiting for the full gasket kit to be installed. The cradle is under cover until I get the engine bay done. Hopefully Ill have it running this spring !!!!!
After work Ive been practicing my airbrushing lessons. Im painting this Fiero myself.
That way I can say I actually did everything MYSELF.
Thanks for looking. John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep it alive...spring is coming and the project will resume!!!
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is Spring time again. Im back in the garage and started the rebuild of the 2.8 that came out of my 87GT. I have never opened up an engine before, but with the " How to Rebuild you GM V-6 60 degree Engine", what could go wrong ? I dont know either, but Im about to find out
This is what I started with:

I pulled everything off and have it down to what you see. Everything, so far, looks good:

I started cleaning all the internals and what a difference it makes. Im cleaning everything so I can check it for wear and cracks. Just look at the differnce :

I know that is very important to put everything back in where it came from, so I made this stand out of wood to hold the push rods and rocker arms so I know where they go when I reassemble the engine.

There isnt alot of info I can give you at this point, because Im learning this myself.
Thanks for looking. John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 04-14-2008).]

jeremycrussell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremycrussellClick Here to visit jeremycrussell's HomePageSend a Private Message to jeremycrussellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet Build, any more progress?
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump. Progress has been ongoing, I have the engine totally torn down and Im going to rebuild it, just for the fact its torn apart..why not?! Im starting on a new project while I wait for the machinist to finish a valve job. Its something I believe will be a first in the fiero world. It has to do with the interior. John
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come on John... You're holding back on us....... Just bumping it up
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

Come on John... You're holding back on us....... Just bumping it up

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates John?
PFF
System Bot
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got an update....its snowing out...grrrrrrrrrrr. cant wait until spring....

but you may be able to guess what I have been working on. Ive pretty much have figured it out. Now to install A/C back into the fiero. It fits where the temp control is now.. luckily 88s have no sliders for the controls

I wish it were spring!
John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 01-11-2009).]

War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the thread!!
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMp
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow great job. I was going to ask about the room mate, but it sounds like you have new one. I hope all works out for you.
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luckily , the room mate is forever gone, after she had to pay me (court ordered) $600. Thanks for the kind words. Not much happening on the Project88GT this summer.It rained half of it! But I did manage to secure a 3.1 with hardly any miles on it for an engine swap
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ive got an update....its snowing out...grrrrrrrrrrr. cant wait until spring....

but you may be able to guess what I have been working on. Ive pretty much have figured it out. Now to install A/C back into the fiero. It fits where the temp control is now.. luckily 88s have no sliders for the controls

I wish it were spring!
John

What did you pull this out of, and would you mind sharing you wiring diagrams? Thanks -Jason
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

What did you pull this out of, and would you mind sharing you wiring diagrams? Thanks -Jason

came out of a 1990 Buicl lesabre, I believe, took the entire heating system out, just to make sure I had everything before it went to the crusher.

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no real updates on this build. it stalled while i was looking for a 3800 sc... and ended up buying two more fieros. Looks like i might put the 2.8 back into it.... but im fighting that urge ...ugh
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock