Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Lets Convert a Fiero to Right Hand Drive (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lets Convert a Fiero to Right Hand Drive by AusFiero
Started on: 12-16-2005 06:46 PM
Replies: 205 (21299 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 04-12-2012 07:39 PM
markviiisvt4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could fieros be bought new in Aus.? If so how did they end up right hand drive? I'm guessing GM didnt' build them that way so I'm assuming some one was contracted to do them.
IP: Logged
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, no new ones. All Fieros in Australia are private imports.
markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Nope, no new ones. All Fieros in Australia are private imports.

Thanks that answered a few questions lol. Awsome work by the way, I'm glad you decided to start a thread on it since I wanted to start aquiring parts but didnt' know what I had to get :-P.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok the next stage was fairly simple, but time consuming.

The first picture is of the dash after it was fibreglassed and the join between the upper an lower sections were rough. That was smoothed in with a little bondo and some imperfections int he tissue work were also filled. Now the dash is ready for the next stage. High fill primer which unfortunately has to wait as the paint supplier is closed and I am out of hardener and thinners.

Today (fingers crossed) my chain drive unit will arrive.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 12-23-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now would be the PERFECT time to convert it over to power steering too I would get an Olds Intrigue power rack and flip it over for a right hand driver. The rear steer rack would work great as a front steer right hander. The ratio is VERY quick and the travel is compatible with the Fiero. It also has Magna Steer so the assist will be variable if you could link the VSS to the Mag unit in the steering spool

------------------

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well dang it. One of my sites is down. Containing all the pics. Stupid registry didn't fix up the renewal like they said they would.
Oh well looks like time to edit every post and put them on my other server.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Ok that fixes the images back up.

Well after a hassle with the courier not delivering yesterday I had to literally go to the depot today and pick up my steering unit. Only took multiple phone calls all over the country and people s cell phones to get it. Ok it is christmas but if something is supposed to be delivered it should be. Not left in the truck for next year.

But all that aside. Here is the chain drive steering unit. It is sort of self explanatory. The next fun bit is working out how to modify the steering column to be two pieces, to make it all work.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 12-23-2005).]

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great Aus, thanks for making the effort to write all this up.

Who makes that unit? Any part# available?

Looking forward to seeing this all come together. Very neat.

Cheers
PK

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the chain drive steering unit. It is sort of self explanatory. The next fun bit is working out how to modify the steering column to be two pieces, to make it all work.

I've never seen anything like that before in life. There isn't much demand for converting RHD cars to LHD in this country. The handfull of RHD cars that exist, (mostly JDM imports) just drive along with the RHD.

I'm really interested to see how you change the structure under the dash and mount up that chain drive. Are you working from an example or making this up as you go along?

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you could change the steering ratio so it was tighter. I would be tempted to open that sucker up.
Good job on the dash, your pretty good at that stuff you should sell it
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I've never seen anything like that before in life. There isn't much demand for converting RHD cars to LHD in this country. The handfull of RHD cars that exist, (mostly JDM imports) just drive along with the RHD.

I'm really interested to see how you change the structure under the dash and mount up that chain drive. Are you working from an example or making this up as you go along?

Making it up as I go along.
My last Fiero was a chain drive so I have a rough idea what goes where.

PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Originally posted by PK:

This is great Aus, thanks for making the effort to write all this up.

Who makes that unit? Any part# available?

Looking forward to seeing this all come together. Very neat.

Cheers
PK

American Machines in South Australia make them. They are pretty much made to order.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that thing is pretty damn cool
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

American Machines in South Australia make them. They are pretty much made to order.

Very cool... so you provide them with the width (distance from side-to-side) to make the change, and they fab 'em up to order?

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Lol, do the ricers in Australia think the somehow being LHD makes like car faster, like the ricers and thier RHD cars here, lol.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I like RHD and that fiero sticker on my windsheild knocked like 3 seconds off my ET but that was only after i put those 30 non functioning gauges in and used that trash can for a muffler. LMFAO ok back to the build and i really do like RHD
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Very cool... so you provide them with the width (distance from side-to-side) to make the change, and they fab 'em up to order?

Well with the fiero one he had the measurements form previous ones. But for unknown models, yeah, he can just fab to order.

Now to find some more time to continue working. Paint shop still isn't open either.

Donaldria

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonaldriaSend a Private Message to DonaldriaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

I'm also looking in changing from LHD to RHD and I just got the dash of today, one thing I want to ask is why not changing over the hole thing with steering rack and colume why do you need to use this exstra part. The other thing is the air vent fan and casing what are you going to do there.
The job on the dash looks good keep it going.

------------------
Donald

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great,
Keep up the good work.

------------------

1985 2m4
Saskatoon, Sask Canada
Visit the Saskatoon Fiero Club Website at
http://www.freewebs.com/saskatoonfieros/
Come chat with us at our Forum
http://saskfiero.suddenlaunch.com/

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next update coming soon. I have the column out and disassembly started and the steering unit has been trial fitted. I will upload that stage tonight. Tonight AUstralian time.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still have them to upload and more done. Oh to have more time for posting....More coming soon
Kentish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2006 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentishSend a Private Message to KentishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Aus,

I've been following this with interest and it's a great build up thread you have.

Mine is also RHD and has the Ford column and rack with a thick bulkhead mounting plate to accomodate the pedal box and the brake servo. The handbrake has also been swapped over to the right and the auto shifter turned around. The aircon and blower etc has also been moved to the left side.

My dash is the part that lets the conversion down, the dash covering is stretched and wrinkled where it has been modified and looks poor so I'd like to pull it all out and start over with the dash.

Are you going to recover yours or smotth and paint it after?

I've been considering reinforcing mine like you have with yours and then smoothing the lines and using the electro static method of applying spray flocking onto it (like on the Lotus Elise and Exige).

I'll keep reading this great thread as I'm eager to know how it all progresses for you.

------------------
Fiero 2M6 SE (1986) auto, red/orange notchback with aero body & rear wing, full black leather interior with RHD conversion.

[This message has been edited by Kentish (edited 01-10-2006).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2006 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was goign to recover it but to get it vacumn covered like original is $550 or so. So I decided I am going to paint it now. It will be smooth but you really do not see a lot of the lower section. The top section will remain original.

------------------

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aus,

Wow dude
this is one thread I want to know all about!!!
Never seen this before !
many pics please!!!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I finally have a bit of time to post. I have done some more work on the steering.

Well here is a pic of the interior stripped out ready to work on. The dynamat was an added bonus but the powercord speaker cables have got to go.

Next we have to drop the steering column ready for modifications. All the wires have also been labled for future modifcations and extensions to go to the other side of the car.

The steering column out on the bench ready for demolition, oops disassembly I mean.

The inside of the car minus column ready for future modifications.

The chain drive unit is now mocked into place. The bottom shaft of the unit is already connected into the factory shaft at floor level. Of course the unit will have to be mounted higher up and mounts made but at least I know it fits now.

You can see where the chain drive units shaft couples up with the factory steering shaft at floor level.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2006 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Now back to the coloumn. Remove the steering wheel and the mounts and here is what you are left with.

After stripping off a few pices we strike a dead end. This plate has to be compressed to release a retaining clip on the shat. Of course this and a few other jobs on the column need factory GM tools.

I overcame this one by cutting the ends off some old clamps and tensionsioning down the plate with them. A bit bulkier than GMs idea but it works.

Well here is the disassembled steering column. I left out a lot of details as it is not really related to just RHD conversion. I did have to make a tool to get the pivot pins out of the tilt column. I welded a bolt onto my slide hammer and it got them out easily.

A picture showing the profiles of the streerin shaft and the shaft of the chain drive unit. A collar will need to be made to join these together.

After removing the collapsible section of the steering shaft by drilling out the nylon retainers I have marked out the column shaft ready for cutting. On another day.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2006 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
While all this was going on I did some more work on the dash.
Here is the now RHD dash needing duct work. As you can see the factory ducting will no longer fit as it is routed different on each side. Note how it sits up in the centre.

The now pasengers side of the ductwork marked off ready for cutting, prior to making new ducts.

The ducting all cut away and a 6X9" speaker mocked into place. Now is a good time to fit them and to also box them into enclosures while making new duct work.

You can see how the center duct now sits down in place like it is supposed to. After the passenger side is complete I will start on the drivers side ans the old duction is all in the way of the new steering column area. First I will ahve to mount the column to work out clearances.

Well that is it for now.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 01-13-2006).]

agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have to move the antena to the left side to make it "right",and change the wipers to eliminat blind spots on the new drivers side

BUMP

[This message has been edited by agrabo85fiero (edited 01-23-2006).]

1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates, Aus?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i shold convert mine then evory one wold think its a rare import b/c they have never seen a fiero lol but id lose my tilt and thats no good. It also loos like you lose your radio space and what about the shifting dose that stay the same or will it be switched? To bad you have to convert it you dont have to do that hear (rh to lh) at least i dont think you do. looks like your doing a awsome job best of luck

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-13-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
HellYes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused. Wouldn't it be a hell of a lot easier to just flip the strreing rack over and put a real collum in it?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

i shold convert mine then evory one wold think its a rare import b/c they have never seen a fiero lol but id lose my tilt and thats no good. It also loos like you lose your radio space and what about the shifting dose that stay the same or will it be switched? To bad you have to convert it you dont have to do that hear (rh to lh) at least i dont think you do. looks like your doing a awsome job best of luck

No updates as I have been really busy with work.

Just a couple of things. You do not lose the tilt. The chain drive actually mounts up and back from the radio space so it is not affected. The shifter can be turned around to put the button on the right side of the shifter with the auto.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Originally posted by HellYes:

I'm confused. Wouldn't it be a hell of a lot easier to just flip the strreing rack over and put a real collum in it?

Far from it. The heater box is in the way. To do a full conversion you have to make a new firewall to move the heaterbox. Then relocate the brake master etc etc etc. A LOT more work.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And if you flipped the steering rack over, the car would steer backwards. You'd need a different rack for that.
1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HellYes:

You'd have to re-engineer the car, and unless you've got a 4+year degree in Mechanical Engineering, I doubt the engineers inspecting the cars would pass it. Though that's not a terribly bad idea for me to try. One of these days I'm going to buy a busted Fiero for $200 or less and just experiment with it. Do everything I want to do to my 86GT, but don't want to destroy it with.

YELLOWFIERO88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

And if you flipped the steering rack over, the car would steer backwards. You'd need a different rack for that.

No you would not. Dont trust me. I dont know what i am saying

Great thread. I am also doing a RHD swap on my VERT. I Have flipped over the rack and will be switching all the pedels over also. However I will be using aftermarket parts for the brake system.
edit because sometimes I have brain farts
------------------

88GT 3.4SC
88GT T-TOP
87GT VERT (build in progress)
www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/053203.html

[This message has been edited by YELLOWFIERO88 (edited 03-15-2006).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has to be one of my personal favourite threads.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all my clients pay me this week I will finally be able to have 2 weeks off work to finish it
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more progress on this?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock