Dodge Stealth Dash Swap by Pyrostatic
Started on: 07-22-2020 12:05 AM
Replies: 6 (727 views)
Last post by: OntarioKev on 07-28-2020 03:22 AM
Pyrostatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrostaticSend a Private Message to PyrostaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,

So today I took my perfectly fine stock dash out of my 1988 GT Fiero. I had been planning to do so for 6 years or so now.

Long story short - i bought a Dodge Stealth cheap in 2014 and took all of the dash components out of it. My Fiero then decided to have a major issue and I only got her back on the road last year. I did a lot of research back then for the swap, but have forgotten most of it due to my many concussions and my memory span of a goldfish.

AFTER I did all of the work today, i realized it was now hard to find all of the threads detailing how to do this dash replacement (Riceburner's and Sourmug's threads for example). I have been looking on the forums for a couple of hours now, drinking numerous beers, and realizing that I can't seem to find anything detailing how to wire any part of the Dodge Stealth dash with the Fiero.

Can anyone please help me with any tips from experience? (I have the dash securely mounted to the car, but nothing else is done yet)
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you,
-Pyrostatic

[This message has been edited by Pyrostatic (edited 07-22-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some searching and found these.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-052432.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-053286.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-053916.html

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 07-22-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really looking nice so far. I've always liked the modernization that a Fiero dash swap adds, but its always been too much work to consider that project. Can't wait to see the final result.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Pyrostatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrostaticSend a Private Message to PyrostaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Thanks Dennis. Yeah I probably should have thought this out better lol.

Thanks Spade. I missed one of those threads that had valuable information about hooking up the speedometer, unfortunately I have the wrong type of speedometer in my combination meter. I'll have to consider getting another.

Funny thing is I have two meters and I thought they were identical. While playing with the wires (the Stealth dash was taken back out at the time cause it's just in the way) the meter slipped and touched the metal of the dash. The meter instantly smoked and stopped working. Oh well, I'll just use the other I thought. So I plugged that in and it didn't work so well. So I tested my fuses and ignition power wires and grounds. Everything was fine. I then repaired the broken meter and plugged it back in. It works fine again. I am not sure what's up with that second meter, I had never plugged it in to the Fiero. The two meters appear to be from different model Stealths though as there are two hard to read indicators on one and not the other (maybe it's from a manual instead of an automatic (since the one has an "OD Off")). I have no idea how the two Stealth meters would work differently for turn signals though. Maybe one grounds differently or better? I wish I understood electricity better.

Anyways, I mapped out what all the connectors did for the Stealth going in to the combination meter. The Fiero has a page in the manual detailing all of their connectors, if the Stealth manuals have one I can't find it.

So far I have got the following to work to some extent:
battery gauge
turn signals (they always stay lit and flash off instead of on when they are used though)
fuel meter (I think), but it is showing empty instead of full and going backwards (as explained by others).
high beam indicator
parking brake light

Can anyone help with the following:

In the Fiero there is one wire to power the high beam indicator. In the Stealth there is one wire that needs to be powered and one that needs to be ground. It does not ground through the ground cable for the connector it is clustered with. I tested functionality using the wire from the C1 connection. How can I wire this up to ground multiple wires at the same time? Or do I have to make a ground for each one?

The Fiero is correctly sending voltage through the parking brake wire, but the Dodge Stealth dash requires more voltage to activate it's indicator light. How can I increase the voltage in the wire? Or?

Thank-you!

[This message has been edited by Pyrostatic (edited 07-25-2020).]

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pyro,

What area are you in?
Pyrostatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrostaticSend a Private Message to PyrostaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Kev,

I am in central Oshawa. You?

Thanks.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Burlington myself. I am interested in this dash swap!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock