Valvetrain noise by Nickoman
Started on: 11-11-2018 10:08 PM
Replies: 22 (426 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-18-2018 02:53 PM
Nickoman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I have a rebuilt iron Duke with about 4k Miles. I am starting to hear a little bit of rocker or valve ticking. I know these engines are known for sounding very mechanical, but how much is normal?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nickoman:

...how much is normal?

Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha, so i take that as I should not worry?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to the nearest truck stop and park it next to an idling Peterbilt. If you can hear the Fiero, you should worry.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Go to the nearest truck stop and park it next to an idling Peterbilt. If you can hear the Fiero, you should worry.

Haha That makes me feel much better, Id hear the exhaust but not the motor. The Cat was removed by the last owner (straight Piped) now a cherry bomb into the OEM muffler.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Best Duke advice on the internet!
Awesome diagnostic advice!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...so i take that as I should not worry?

We have no way of knowing from your post what valvetrain noise you're currently experiencing. In what manner are we to tell you "how much is normal"? Perhaps it's loose connecting rods you're actually hearing. Stick your phone in the engine bay and record/post a video so we can at least listen to the engine.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Stick your phone in the engine bay and record/post a video so we can at least listen to the engine.

Will do. Ill get video tonight.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you arrange for the rebuilder to listen to it? He may be able to identify typical sources.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/1Yg2A393ay8 it sounds worse on video...
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nickoman

79 posts
Member since May 2017

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Can you arrange for the rebuilder to listen to it? He may be able to identify typical sources.

Besides the machining i did The rebuild haha.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the sound go away if you pour a little oil in while it is idling?
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does the sound go away if you pour a little oil in while it is idling?

Nope it sounds the same. I suspected oil not getting to the rockers, so i puled the cover. Everything is soaked in oil. So much so the bolt heads on the rockers are below
The oil line.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A possibilty...........

Duke pushrods
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A possibilty...........

Duke pushrods

I put the same ones back in, with the same rockers back in the same holes. Did I goof up by not replacing them with new?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it sounds worse on video...

It's difficult to tell if there's a problem. Might've helped a bit if you could've revved it up and down a few times to hear how/if the clatter changes.

Were all pushrods checked for straightness prior to re-installation?

Were all rocker bolts snugged up to the torque specs?
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I torqued the bolts down to 22 lbs and yep, all pushrods went through the flat table roll test. Ill get more video tonight. My phone was dying it actually died recording. Haha thats why there were vertical lines in the video.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You must torque down the rocker arm bolts while the lifter is on the base circle of the cam. If you just torqued them down without insuring that , they will be out of adjustment.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-15-2018).]

Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-107713.html
I was always under the impression that it did not matter where the cam lobes were rotated to, as it is a hydraulic lifter with no lashing adjustment?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hahaha!!!

Hey guys I have a rebuilt iron Duke with about 4k Miles. I am starting to hear a little bit of rocker or valve ticking. I know these engines are known for sounding very mechanical, but how much is normal?

So, I listened to the video, and in my opinion, it sounds like a super-smooth Iron Duke! haha. I've had a few of these L4s, and I'll put it this way, they absolutely sound like little truck engines. They are anything but smooth.

I think I read somewhere in here that you said it has hydraulic lifters? Is this an 85? Normally the 84s came with the flat-tappet, and some 85s (mid-way through the year) got the roller lifters, which are WAY nicer... though, still a noisy engine.

As I think you said... they require no lash adjustment.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Aside from the recall connecting rod issue that's been fixed in them already, the biggest problem for these engines was cyl head cracking when they're allowed to overheat. But there are still some things you can do to these cars for relatively cheap that can improve the performance a little and make the car feel a bit smoother. I just checked, couldn't find anything quick to post here... but there are a few options you can look at. Crane has some... but they'll definitely "smooth out" that sound. But don't be too concerned about it. You would know if there's something wrong.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duke "valve noise" can be a few things... 2 big items:
Hydro lifters have a "sweet spot" to work completely quietly. If compressed too low can made noise and wreck the push rods or worse. Too high makes noise even break them because small spring clips on them won't last long. Too high and rockers etc can make noise too.
Cam gears can make noise too. More so when using metal cam gear.

Is/was shims to set valve lash on non adjust Duke and some others but have to be careful how their installed for same reason above.

Note that if you shaved/decked the head and/or block then often the lifters are too compressed and will have problems now or soon. Depends exact total of machining for either/both. Is why Felpro HeadSaver® and others make/made "shims" to go w/ head gasket to make up dimensions in that space.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much! Yeah its an 84 with flats. I was concerned that it was an issue, and after hearing all your experience, and watching videos of other dukes, i think its gonna be fine. Ive seen some videos that sound like a diesel running haha.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you very much! Yeah its an 84 with flats. I was concerned that it was an issue, and after hearing all your experience, and watching videos of other dukes, i think its gonna be fine. Ive seen some videos that sound like a diesel running haha.

THIS was an annoying rattle:

Turned out to be a torque converter bolt that came loose and started flying around.... yup.... took me forever to figure it out. I guessed everything from the catalytic converter, to something on the exhaust vibrating... everything I could think of.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock