Started on: 04-03-2010 09:15 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: White 84 SE on 04-04-2010 05:17 PM
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I do get the idea and i have read everything from https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/095393.html my balancer does not have marks on it for some reason or another. is it reasonable to say just use the distributor for my TDC? and is it ok since the timing on the car is 1-3-4-2 that i can adjust them in this order?

When you seat the rocker is it 3/4 to 1.5 turns AFTER the rocker is snug to the push rod and the valve top? or is there an actual torque rating? I'm going to attempt this tomorrow as i need the car monday. Thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The 2.5L Iron Duke is (IIRC) set at 24 ft/lbs of torque. That's it, your done. No lash setting like the V6.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
thank you...

exhaust and intake at the same time per cylinder? and should the distributor be a good indication of TDC?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

exhaust and intake at the same time per cylinder?

There is NO adjustment, so it doesn't matter... do 'em all at once.

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
i put them all down at the same time at 24 (and suddenly i have a tapping noise that i didn't have before) but from what i've been reading they have to be done one cylinder at a time. so which is it?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Yes, both at the same time at TDC. The FSM says "with lifter on base circle of camshaft", 24 lb/ft of torque. Using the dist to find TDC on #1 is fine. Just make sure both valves stay closed as you tighten the rocker.

Here is a link to the '86 Fiero Factory Service Manual: http://www.fieronews.net/fu...nloads.php?cat_id=13

EDIT: My '87 Duke sounds like a diesel engine. Still running with over 197k miles.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 04-03-2010).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
I put some washer shims in with the rockers and they seemed to act as lash reducer. My engine is a good deal quieter now. Actually, it used to sound like a diesel and now it just sounds like an engine right behind the cabin. They go under the bolt heads and push the rocker down just a touch. I was not worried experimenting but hey it's only a car. Worked for my 84 but my situation I.E. push rod condition wear etc is particular and may not match yours etc.... Got them from ACE for 10 cents each, called "machine bushings", has got to be the easiest cheapest mod I ever did. KurtAXX had the idea, I worked out the application. I was thinking of filing down the stump which would also work. Turns out the design of the lifters is not very effective and can use a little help.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 04-04-2010).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Yes, both at the same time at TDC. The FSM says "with lifter on base circle of camshaft", 24 lb/ft of torque. Using the dist to find TDC on #1 is fine. Just make sure both valves stay closed as you tighten the rocker.

If I was wrong to say "do 'em all at once" I apologize. However, if there's no adjustment to be made (basically the bolt is just being tightened down), what's the difference?

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I understand as to why each cylinder has to be at TDC when you torque them. If it's not at TDC the the rocker and push down on the spring and cause an inaccurate seating due to the springs resistance added with the bolt tightness. Thank you guys. Let you know how it works when i can get to it later today.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

If it's not at TDC the the rocker and push down on the spring and cause an inaccurate seating due to the springs resistance added with the bolt tightness.

???

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
On a completely stock 2.5, the valve train is non-adjustable and you can hit all 8 of them at the same time. It makes no difference at all. I have always done all 8 without rolling the motor over.
PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

On a completely stock 2.5, the valve train is non-adjustable and you can hit all 8 of them at the same time. It makes no difference at all. I have always done all 8 without rolling the motor over.

Kurt, remember when you suggested that I simply use washers instead of filing down my rocker standoffs when I was trying to quiet my Duke? It worked buddy. Ogre agreed that it was a useful mod after doing a little research on the lifter choice GM made. The Thread was called...Quieting the Duke...or something.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock