Water Pump replacement by 85fieroguy
Started on: 06-28-2018 09:39 PM
Replies: 6 (837 views)
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 07-04-2018 09:46 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried looking up on " How to"..found nothing. Anyone have a STEP BY STEP procedure to replace the water pump on a 85 GT V-6 ??. I am not so swift with mechanics but I figure I'd give it a go. Have the pump with bracket, gaskets, a diagram , sealant and tools. lack the confidence of a pro but willing to try this repair with some guidance. Would appreciate any input, ideas, short cuts or " NO NO's"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2018 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a smart phone with a camera, you are half way home.

Start by taking pictures from many angles as to how it is BEFORE starting, and keep taking pictures as you go.
Take notes too, as it may jog memory as you go in, and come back out.

I have done this taking clocks apart for repair, a water pump should be easy with this help.

When you get the pump off, clean the old gasket material off with a putty knife. I have one I sharpened the edge for the job, just don't nick or cut the gasket flange, it could cause leaks. I use permatex aviation form a gasket for most paper or cork gaskets, RTV for the rubber gaskets, and the special RTV for gasket less assemblies.

Crash
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As water pumps go, the Fiero is not an easy one. Patrick will have something to add about the process (I think).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-29-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2018 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Patrick will have something to add about the process (I think).

You know me too well.

Here's my take on the process of replacing the pump... Where the heck is this coolant leaking from?
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you get a water pump with a metal impeller, since it will wear a lot longer. You don't want to have too many experiences with the hassle of a Fiero water pump installation.
b
RudyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RudyGTSend a Private Message to RudyGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i recently did mine. its not as bad as some say, i took off my wheel well, but i dont think i needed to at all.
the only bolt i recall accessing through there was on the alternator bottom, which can be done from the top.
patience when it comes to feeling things out when putting the bolts back in.

also i didn't use that metal bracket to clamp the valve cover down? seemed impossible to install and take the pump off.
or i would have to of taken alot more off to install the clamp, just eased the pump off.
edit: ahh yes, my post is on patricks thread.. those terrible terrible pulley bolts, i bout near broke a screwdriver trying to remove them.
i got a 90 degree dewalt adapter or somethin of the sort and tried to use my drill as an impact.. that was the biggest challenge.

[This message has been edited by RudyGT (edited 07-03-2018).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be really careful with the small bolts (11, 2, 9) they will strip out very easily. To make it worse they are very hard to see or touch in the car. Don't ask how I know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock