Bad reservoir cap ? by tom10122
Started on: 11-16-2014 04:47 PM
Replies: 10 (301 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-21-2014 06:20 AM
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been leaking coolant, Just did the water pump ( definitely shot) and there is a slight drip from around it but not enough to leak the way it is and it also only drips above 2k rpms. I have to fill the reservoir up every 3 days or so AFTER the water pump was done. Today when I had the rear jacked up looking for the leak I left it up for a while and come back to see a ton of my coolant leaked out of the reservoir cap and onto the floor . I took it out of the garage and the temp shot up, it drained from the goddamn engine into the reservoir. The little paper seal on the cap is shot and the cap itself barely stays on. My entire commute is up and down hill. Could that be the main problem?

[This message has been edited by tom10122 (edited 11-16-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you MUST fix the leak around the water pump, it not only has a hole to leak from, but also a hole to suck in AIR. the reservoir CAP is not the problem
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

you MUST fix the leak around the water pump, it not only has a hole to leak from, but also a hole to suck in AIR. the reservoir CAP is not the problem

Not Sure if its the pump or something else around there, I stuck my hand under the pump after I killed the engine and felt nothing, Anything in front of the pump to leak?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like at least part of your problem (with coolant spewing out of your reservoir) is perhaps having a vented rad cap. Fieros require a non-vented rad cap.

Lots of threads about this, including the recent discussion HERE.

Regarding your water pump leak, you might at least tell us which engine you have.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2014).]

tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sounds to me like at least part of your problem (with coolant spewing out of your reservoir) is perhaps having a vented rad cap. Fieros require a non-vented rad cap.

Lots of threads about this, including the recent discussion HERE.

Regarding your water pump leak, you might at least tell us which engine you have.

V6 1988 GT , I will have to check the rad cap as I did not change it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

V6 1988 GT

Okay then, lots of potentially helpful info in this thread...

Where the heck is this coolant leaking from?
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK heres an update:
Pulled it into the garage today to look around the timing cover for the leak and took a look in the front too. I do in fact have a VENTED radiator cap, So I will be changing that tomorrow .
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:
For the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been leaking coolant, Just did the water pump ( definitely shot) and there is a slight drip from around it but not enough to leak the way it is and it also only drips above 2k rpms. I have to fill the reservoir up every 3 days or so AFTER the water pump was done. Today when I had the rear jacked up looking for the leak I left it up for a while and come back to see a ton of my coolant leaked out of the reservoir cap and onto the floor . I took it out of the garage and the temp shot up, it drained from the goddamn engine into the reservoir. The little paper seal on the cap is shot and the cap itself barely stays on. My entire commute is up and down hill. Could that be the main problem?

Yes. Plastic cap on overflow tank is not you problem. Gasket does little or nothing. (New caps are easy to get for many auto parts places. Dorman, Part Number: 82590 )

Originally posted by Patrick:

Lots of threads about this, including the recent discussion HERE

Yup. Wrong Radiator Cap and Iffy parts on engine is... Anyplace can leak air in w/o leaking coolant out is big issue, especially have wrong rad cap.

But note that if you have problem on the radiator, like tube problems for overflow tank, can fake an air leak at engine when you open Tstat Cover to look. Radiator w/ iffy tube will have air and will "suck down" Tstat housing when Tstat cover is off.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Know what, My 87 with 3800SC, I jacked up the rear end of the car, and I Also have coolant running out of the overflow ! And I HAVE a NEW "Correct" Radiator CAP !
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found the leak, hose right infornt and below the battery a hose clamp needed to be repositioned and tightened
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI for this thread, the cap for the overflow has a hole in the top, so it really doesn't even matter much if it is even there.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock