Started on: 11-11-2014 10:04 AM
Replies: 21 (1282 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-15-2014 06:14 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero owner sent me an email shown below. So I'm asking opinions on this. If no non-vented caps are available anymore I will look at having some made.

Opinions?

Rodney Dickman
www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax 262-835-9575
http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolcaps.htmÂ

Have an opportunity that you might be able to outsource. Myself and others have been experiencing a difficult time obtaining non-vented radiator caps. They don't seem to be sourced anywhere.

Per Ogre's cave article, vented caps result in coolant boiling and overheating conditions. He states the caps are incorrectly cataloged. I also checked on this problem over two years ago with Oreilly and received a response that vented caps are okay according to their information, which us Fiero owners believe is incorrect and contributes to overheating.

"Murray's Tech department identifies this cap as a new design for GMs and is an Open Vent and draws coolant from the reservoir".

Do you know of a way or have industry sources that can ensure this part is NON vented?

Thanks,
Sean

Subject
Closed radiator cap?
Â
 Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (Ken) 04/12/2012 02:06 PM
Sean,
I apologize for the application error, we will take action to have it corrected immediately.Â
Thank you for taking the time to bring the error to our attention.
Your business is appreciated and we look forward to serving your automotive needs in the future.Â

Sincerely,

Ken
O'Reilly Auto Parts
Online Customer ServiceÂ
(888)-327- 7153
 Customer By Email (Sean Rickard) 04/12/2012 10:29 AM

==================== text File Attachment ====================
Attachment 1.txt, 8555 bytes, added to incident
 Response Via Email (Ken) 04/12/2012 08:43 AM
Sean,
Good question, Murray's Tech department identifies this cap as a new design for GMs and is an Open Vent and draws coolant from the reservoir. As the description states the 7616 meets all OEM specs and is proper for your application.Â
At $4.99 it's a great deal and is available to order Online or purchase at our stores.

Your business is appreciated, visit us again soon.

Sincerely,

Ken
O'Reilly Auto Parts
Online Customer ServiceÂ
(888)-327- 7153
 Customer By Web Form (Sean Rickard) 04/11/2012 09:13 PM
Please advise if this radiator cap is closed or open vent? The website doesnt confirm this.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/...1&pt=C2021&ppt=C0331
Â
 Question Reference #120411-000105
Date Created:Â 04/11/2012 09:13 PM
Last Updated:Â 04/12/2012 02:06 PM
Question Type:Â Feedback - general website feedback
Â
[---001:001567:17980---]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make one? Just buy X amount of 10230 from Stant or their distributors and stock that. I would contact Stant first.

Stant themselves have change to non-vented cap # and Stant makes many OEM caps for car makers.
I won't trust most parts chains that just repeat whatever BS from catalogs. Email, Chat sessions, is same or worse then many counter people who have no idea what problem are, especially old cars.

Example:
"Murray's Tech department identifies this cap as a new design for GMs and is an Open Vent and draws coolant from the reservoir".
Really? Both types works w/ overflow tanks. Vented caps are a bit easier vs Non-vent cap but Both will still suck coolant back into system when system cools down.

Stant has/had docs online for custom cars and engine builders that basically says Rad Cap is lower then engine then use Non-vented cap to avoid problems. Fiero is just that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi again. Email is from me. The issue is confusing as O'Reilly uses internal part #7616. Can't tell if this is legitimate Stant closed vent, or a knock off supplier.
Two88GTs

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Two88GTsSend a Private Message to Two88GTsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the ACDelco caps? Easily sourced through rockuto.com/gmpartsdirect.com or any GM dealer

Rad Cap
AC Delco: RC27
GM : 10409635

Thermo Cap
AC Delco: RC40
GM: 6410941

------------------

[This message has been edited by Two88GTs (edited 11-12-2014).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic, but are there oil caps available somewhere? I know I had to scrounge for one when my brother lost one...
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my Stant from O'reilly, verified it was non-vent per Ogre's thread. Made in Israel
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:
I got my Stant from O'reilly, verified it was non-vent per Ogre's thread. Made in Israel

O'reilly doesn't list Stant caps.
Unless something changed, Stant parts for Fiero are made in Mexico. Stant catalog still have pictures showing from Mexico. I have two Stant 10230 bought today made in Mexico.

IF Rodney is going to stock Stant Rad Caps.... Good idea to stock Tstat Cover, maybe Superstat too.
Many stores Doesn't stock Stant 10232 Tstant Housing Cover or Tstat.
Many warehouses don't have them either. Too few cars uses this cap now. Stant Ecat shows 1994 last year used. http://ww2.stant.com/module...diagram.cfm?id=10232

You need to go online at many chain stores if the chain carries Stant caps...
Some stores have Israel knock off of Stant sold under Store Brands. AutoZone sells under CST brand. O'reilly under Murray. Both products stamp MOTORAD and use same PN.
I have AZ Tstat cap this week and is total crap. Does Not fit the housing. I ordered Stant caps.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I buy all my non vented caps at Autozone, I don't have a part number handy, but they sell them.
Pretty easy to come by, I didn't know there was a problem getting them. They even sell them in the lever style too.
and even different lb caps too. Simple, go to ANY auto parts store and just look at the caps and look at the check valve, if it springs back it's non-vented, if it just hangs there it's vented. But EVERY autoparts store sells them. It's as common as brake pads. well even more common.

Edit to add: yes they all list the wrong cap in the computer, so you have to LOOK at the caps.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-13-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Two88GTs:

What about the ACDelco caps? Easily sourced through rockuto.com/gmpartsdirect.com or any GM dealer

Rad Cap
AC Delco: RC27
GM : 10409635

Thermo Cap
AC Delco: RC40
GM: 6410941

I've dung into the Stant Ecat and 22P today and found/confirm the problem...
22P list 10036879 and Numbers above are Vented cap. See Stant PN 10231 and Part Interchange
Most aftermarket books just parrot 22P etc from GM. (Confirm because I did say this in my cave page in the past.)

GM might have screwed up to list vented caps in 22P etc. Might even installed them at factory.
Is not only time or even close to first time GM did this type of error. Some times fix thru TSB etc. Many times never.

Again, Vented caps work ok on Fiero IF Everything is good and sealed, parked on level ground, etc. The Tiniest of air leaks and we get long history of problems because rad cap and overflow tank are low vs engine, Tstat cap and WP. The WP Seal does not like vacuum and will let air in w/o letting coolant out. 2+ Gallons of coolant using vented cap and park noise down will pull enough vacuum to have problem for Fiero.

The fix is to use non-vented cap. Stant agrees with this fact or they wouldn't change PN. That charge affects many other online catalogs, including Advance Auto and others w/ link to current Stant Data. Many others still list Vented caps. Some have old Stant data or from another vendors data for selling store brands.

ACDelco Non-vented cap are RC- 15, 26, 29, 33, 34, 44 according to Stant Ecat see http://ww2.stant.com/module...diagram.cfm?id=10230

I will note this in my cave too.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get to the shop, if I remember, I will try to get you the part numbers we use for the non-vented caps Orge.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If radiator caps are a problem I can add a page to my web page documenting this fact. As I have done for other small vendors who I think provide an excellent product for Fiero owners I can add a page "radiator caps". I would say I do not sell them but this is where to get one and this part number is the one that works.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

GM might have screwed up to list vented caps in 22P etc. Might even installed them at factory.
Is not only time or even close to first time GM did this type of error. Some times fix thru TSB etc. Many times never.

I will note this in my cave too.

I got to agree with you on that one, I was at GM in the 80s and utility repair at that time so I was all over our plant that built the Chevy celebrity and olds Ciera. now to the screw up at the factory of just those 2 models in 84 I think it was, gas caps shipped into our factory were supposed to be vented and were not, I am not sure if they were supposed to be or the engineers screwed up, or the supplier screwing up or what it was,but I do know I spent a few weeks working overtime ferrying cares to heavy repair for them to change crushed gas tanks from having the improper cap installed. And its not like we drove them any real distance at the factory ether, we just drove them a few miles at most for any repairs that didn't get fixed on the line so it didn't take long for those tanks to get damaged.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

O'reilly doesn't list Stant caps.
Unless something changed, Stant parts for Fiero are made in Mexico. Stant catalog still have pictures showing from Mexico. I have two Stant 10230 bought today made in Mexico.

IF Rodney is going to stock Stant Rad Caps.... Good idea to stock Tstat Cover, maybe Superstat too.
Many stores Doesn't stock Stant 10232 Tstant Housing Cover or Tstat.
Many warehouses don't have them either. Too few cars uses this cap now. Stant Ecat shows 1994 last year used. http://ww2.stant.com/module...diagram.cfm?id=10232

You need to go online at many chain stores if the chain carries Stant caps...
Some stores have Israel knock off of Stant sold under Store Brands. AutoZone sells under CST brand. O'reilly under Murray. Both products stamp MOTORAD and use same PN.
I have AZ Tstat cap this week and is total crap. Does Not fit the housing. I ordered Stant caps.

Possible it was Autozone, because one or the other ordered one and it was the incorrect one when I showed up. Found the correct one, was in Stant blister pack said Made in Israel, or maybe I am damn crazy. Should have saved the receipt or packaging. But I feel certain it was O'Reilly's, they should have that in the computer, will check this weekend.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bought two stants from advance auto today. Same part no. ogre mentioned, made in Mexico.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What might be a bigger problem is finding a radiator cap to fit the larger performance Champion 3 core radiators. The Fiero caps on these seem not to hold the pressure. Anyone found a suitable replacement that fits tight? The Champion caps are rated for something like 19 or 20 psi and should be replaced with a 16 lb cap.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero still not listed in "See Stant PN 10231 and Part Interchange list."

Here's the problem. I can order online from an unknown vendor who wants $26 for a cap while still unsure if it's even going to be correct. Again, relying on outside source who knows about the catalog issue. Fiero owners in a daily driver pinch need a cap ASAP and head to Oreilly for $6 house brand. Counter guy sees vague description and shrugs when asked if its non-vented and can only say "I dunno man, it just says it's correct application". "Cap not truly in stock but we can get it to you by tomorrow if you pay us today...." You reluctantly order the cap hoping or at least blissfully unaware if it's truly the right Murray cap.

Unsuspecting owners experience continued overheating problems, get frustrated, place car on Craigslist for sale in "rare" category.

When I visit Oreilly website, this is what is presented. Is this even right?
That's why I was hoping that Rodney would consider stocking the cap. Because if someone busts a hose, they still have to order his custom sizes and wait for a cap anyway.

[This message has been edited by sricka01 (edited 11-14-2014).]

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked them up on Summit Racing. Stant part numbers 10203 and 10232 are both listed as 0psi units. Reviews are not favorable for the 10203, with 2 out of 3 people claiming it's thin, cheap and leaks like crazy. No good. Maybe try the 10232? I'll order one for $6 and give it a go. Does anybody else even make a non-vented cap?

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 11-14-2014).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt have time to get to the shop today, but here is some more info.

If you look at the cap it will say the lb rating right after it will or will not have a"V", stands for vented like 16V or 18V thus not what you want.
You want one without the "V" after the number, not part number but on the cap itself.
Trying to see if I can find the right part number now.

Edit to add: you can see the V on this pic IE: The WRONG cap

where it says ST-16V 16 is the lb and the V is vented

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-14-2014).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by sricka01:

When I visit Oreilly website, this is what is presented. Is this even right?

those are both vented and the wrong cap
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I'm pretty sure the part number is 7716
the 77 is the style and the 16 is lbs
so if you want a 18 lb cap it would be 7718 and so on

btw the 7716 fits over 15,000 cars, so extremely common, and won't be going away any time soon.

Edit to add: it is only $6.99 too, why even bother ordering online when it is so cheap local
also motorad brand is ST-16 or ST16, make sure no V

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-14-2014).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

those are both vented and the wrong cap

I know it's wrong because I searched for 88 GT. Despite my email to them they continue to sell the wrong part!
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:
Fiero still not listed in "See Stant PN 10231 and Part Interchange list."

because Interchange List on that page covers ACD and GM caps numbers...

The problem is Caps listed in 22P and ACDelco catalogs is = to Stant 10231, etc.
Many other brands still says vented cap is good for Fiero because they echo same GM error or has Old Stant data.

Murray etc is vented.
See "Type: Standard Vented" on normal cap?
And picture of top is Motorad 16V... V is Vented so says sardonyx247.

RA and others have a mix... Some are likely wrong but shows Stant 10230 non-vent.

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
also motorad brand is ST-16 or ST16, make sure no V

Problem is Some lists shows T16V = 10230 non-vented cap.
example: http://www.yoyopart.com/oem...71/motorad-t16v.html
Likely some lists for that are wrong too...

Even if true... Motorad site might be ok, I don't have time to ask every source, but they look to make other store brand as I've said above. You have to check AZ etc catalogs are correct or not...

I'll just stay w/ Stant caps and superstat Tstat...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock