What to do with leaky T Tops by JunkCollector
Started on: 03-16-2014 06:20 PM
Replies: 11 (306 views)
Last post by: josef644 on 03-17-2014 08:33 PM
JunkCollector

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 T Top gt sittting in the garage in pieces. Most of the interior has been damaged by the chronically leaky T roofs which are complete but have both seals worn and dried out. I am considering three options at this point;
1. Seal the roofs shut with silicone and deal with them some other time.
2. Use either mustang or camaro seals and try and replace what is there
3. Disassemble the T Top and weld in the missing roof structure.
What are other people doing? There seems to be no supply of original Fiero seals. Is this a part that might be reproduced at some point by say the Fierostore. Unless they have been replaced already anyone with T roofs must be wondering what to do when their seals give up. Curious if anyone has any suggestions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
which of your seals are shot?--do your tops rattle when you drive? are your P-seals gone? where does your tops leak at?---a majority of the problem may be the end caps if the holes that the top latch into are worn and your tops rattle that would contribute to your leak---the door seals can also be worn out--I got a set off a "donor" at pick and pull--they all fit the same way you will just need to make some cuts for the top side--when I had my p-seals out my roof leaked badly--GA Fiero Club has a low cost fix, check their web site. T-Tops Parts and Appraisals has a "diagnose leak" TIB too---you shouldn't have to do anything radical at this point-hope this helps
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124918.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057115.html

------------------
Pat Jones

JunkCollector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its the main seals that the glass sits on that are dried out and cracked. Both sides leak at points all around the perimeter. I am redoing the interior and dont want to have the new parts damaged by leaky tops. I am willing to work on the issue but Having no supply of replacement seals is a discouraging way to bstart.
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about if they are cracked but we used a "moose" that GM sales for door seals on my son's 300zx t-top and they are like new. They say it isn't for restoring seals but it works. Just do it on a warm day and leave the tops off all day. On his seals there where little holes in the seal to let air out of the inside. We even sprayed some in there. Seals look and feel new now.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on a set of Mustang or Camaro seals. I havent installed the T top parts yet. I got new locks for the glass sections last week. I am gonna score a set of new door glass seals while they are still for sale at 'reasonable' prices.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-17-2014).]

JunkCollector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found the writeup about using 3rd gen f82 fbody seals but only some mention of using 70s mustang II seals or 80s 5.0 parts. Any of these adaptations would probably require cutting and joining seal sections which concerns me a bit. I know that Infinitewill had some issues with heat causing some early versions of his trunk seals to release over time where they were joined at the corners. I may be wrong but I think the person who did the camaro seal conversion may have passed away. I would be interested to hear if anyone has successfully adapted a set of seals and how they worked long term.
JunkCollector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JunkCollector

65 posts
Member since Dec 2004
Xx

[This message has been edited by JunkCollector (edited 03-17-2014).]

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thread! I recently picked up a '87 GT that had been sitting for x amount of years. The T-Tops leaked so badly the passenger side floor bad has some rust. A lot more than usual. The "drip edges" are gone. Not sure if it's the same as the "shingle seal" on the T-roof exploded view page, but I could definitely use the drip edges to start with. There is a gap on driver and passenger side where the frame seal meets the seal on the glass. Right hand corner on both sides. Hope that makes sense. I'll be looking for the same solution.

Anyone know where I could get the drip edges?
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JunkCollector:

I found the writeup about using 3rd gen f82 fbody seals but only some mention of using 70s mustang II seals or 80s 5.0 parts. Any of these adaptations would probably require cutting and joining seal sections which concerns me a bit. I know that Infinitewill had some issues with heat causing some early versions of his trunk seals to release over time where they were joined at the corners. I may be wrong but I think the person who did the camaro seal conversion may have passed away. I would be interested to hear if anyone has successfully adapted a set of seals and how they worked long term.

Here is a thread where one guy used a Mustang seal, and the other member used a CAmaro seal. Both had good results. You need to read these threads if you need new seals and don't have $900 to spring for a NOS pair.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-062154.html

bowrapennocks Camaro Install. He is the one who passed away Dec.27, 2012:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104028.html

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-17-2014).]

JunkCollector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked to see availability of the alternative seals. CJPony parts has the 87-88 seals recommended for about $51 each and Dr Sunroof has the camaro ones for $89 each so not much difference in price. It sounds like the camaro ones might be NOS while the mustang are reproductions. I went out to look at the car after reading the how to threads and am starting to see how the weatherstrip is supposed to work. For the cost I think it might be worth trying a set of new seals and modifying them to fit.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would try the mustang ones. The materal may be newer since they are repros- eg less prone to rottng.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I m gonna use the Mustang seals. I saw on their website today they were $88.00 for a pair.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/...avnL0CFQ5gMgodHWIACQ

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-18-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock