Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Id dearch this, but my computer is screwy!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Id dearch this, but my computer is screwy! by meet_my_grandma
Started on: 07-17-2013 05:30 PM
Replies: 12 (251 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 07-22-2013 06:12 PM
meet_my_grandma

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay, heres the scoop. Its been forever since ive been on pff, but ive been busy with school and trying to get the fi to sc. last time I was back in md, i kept getting a code for my speed sensor. besides that, when the car warms up it shuts off at a stop and backfires. my icm, pickup coil, and all that junk was replaced about2 years ago, spark plugs around 2 years ago, tps maybe 3 months ago,

so I replaced the speed sensor. didnt do squat. I only have a few days while im visiting again to diagnose and fix the car to drive 8 hours!!! Im still getting the speed semsor engine code, and code 32, which ive gotten since day one when I bought it.

Any help appreciated!!! muchos gracias all!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone? :/
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 32 is your EGR. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html

Here is a list of all the codes: //www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 07-18-2013).]

meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know what the code is, and its never affected the car before.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hard to say, your egr could be stuck open, or something else. Which codes exactly, are you getting?
meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
32 and 24
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by meet_my_grandma:
32 and 24

The answer to the codes are (and I am posting so anyone else that reads this thread having the same issue gets an answer even if you know what the codes are):

Code 24 Vehicle Speed Sensor:
Code 24 indicates a problem with the VSS (ECM does not receive any speed pulses while driving).

Code 32 EGR Vacuum Control:
Code 32 is by far the most commonly encountered trouble code. The most common cause for this trouble code is a leak in the EGR vacuum lines. This code is often disregarded since a malfunctioning EGR system seldomly has any effect on the car's driveability, and only on the engine's emissions. It's also tremendously difficult to diagnose the problem. If your car passes emission tests and is otherwise running ok, it's often not worth the trouble trying to find the problem.

Code 24 could be the speed sensor, but since you already replaced it... probably a short in the wiring somewhere.

Code 32 could be a slew of things. I posted a link with good information above.

All that said, you say " when the car warms up it shuts off at a stop and backfires." I don't think that either of these codes has anything to do with your problem. Keep in mind that the codes will only tell you of electronic failures that the ECM can monitor. It won't help you if it is something like your fuel pump stops working.

Here are some threads that sound like your problem. I did NOT read them, simply searched for "stalls at stop" based on your original post. You will have to determine if they fit your issue or post more details.

Buck and stall at red lights or stop signs
Stall at stops problem, finally tested fuel pressure
Stalling at stop
Engine stalls at lights or stop signs
Stalls At Stop Signs
stalling at stop light

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a tcc in 4spd manuals?
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by meet_my_grandma:

Is there a tcc in 4spd manuals?

Nope. I didn't know you have a 4 speed manual in your car.
meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to mention guys, sorry!
meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

meet_my_grandma

289 posts
Member since Aug 2009
This has become an intermittent problem where upon the backfire and die, the cel will come on. It will restart fine and run alright afterward. The tps was replaced maybe two months ago. Upon replacing this tps, compared to my old svx, I was unable to set it on the right voltage like the Subaru.
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On another car I have been working on I had some what the same symptoms. Check you grounding, don't know which wire that is to the EGR but it could be other grounding since the speed sensor is not functioning properly either. I am not an expert but I am staying at a Hampton tonight.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LornesGT

1356 posts
Member since Jan 2013
On another car I have been working on I had some what the same symptoms. Check you grounding, don't know which wire that is to the EGR but it could be other grounding since the speed sensor is not functioning properly either. I am not an expert but I am staying at a Hampton tonight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock