Stalling at stop. by FieroAddict
Started on: 01-22-2007 08:28 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: tjm4fun on 01-26-2007 01:51 AM
FieroAddict

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAddictSend a Private Message to FieroAddictDirect Link to This Post
this is really starting to frustrate me. When i pull up to a light as soon as i come to a complete stop the rpm's drop to ~600 and then it stalls. No sputtering or anything, and it starts right up again with no problem. If i put it into neutral the rpm's come right up to 900-1000 and it runs nice and smooth. It only does this once the engine warms up, before that there isn't a problem. The engine is a stock 4 cylinder with ~30000km on it since being rebuilt. I've checked the timing and it's right on, so i really don't know what could be causing this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
auto right? unplug your tcc at the tranny. if it;s fixed, get a new one.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Dito
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, TCC most likely
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I did a little write up for my PFF friends, TCC solenoid replacement with lots of tips, part numbers gleened from actually installing a new TCC solenoid and 3rd gear switch.

In the mean time, disconnect the blue 4-wire connector from your transmission so you won't stall in traffic. Since the transmission torque converter won't lock up, it will be subjected to extra heat and wear so don't drive too long before making the repairs.

I did this TCC solenoid replacement myself, it's not too bad for a shade tree mechanic, just tedious.
Good luck with the repairs.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Just a note also, when you have the tcc unplugged---keep a eye on your fuel gauge they tend to suck down a little more gas than usual if I remember right..
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
My 87 2.8 does this also, when the car is nice and warm I can drive it, as soon as I come to a stop it dies, Starts right back up. It will sit and idle all day long without any problems, but the minute I drive it and stop at a sign She dies. This is a 87 gt enigne w/ 5sp. getrag any tips??

RUNDLC
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
same here...but ive got a ton of mods.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Rundlc, check your egr valve, if ok, map sensor, and if not done in a while a full tune, plugs wires, cap rotor.
another thought, does your voltage drop down really low first? that can also cause issues. check your grounds.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

Rundlc, check your egr valve, if ok, map sensor, and if not done in a while a full tune, plugs wires, cap rotor.
another thought, does your voltage drop down really low first? that can also cause issues. check your grounds.

Mine has started something like described above. The ALDL data shows 13.9 volts while running and 12.0 volts not running, so I guess I am in line for a new battery.
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tj, I did pull the egr not long ago and there was this black fluid in the recess?? I smelled it, didn't smell oily or like gas, So I cleaned it out, checked to make sure the diaphram on the egr wasn't ripped and put it back together. I'll have the map sensor checked and or changed and if that doesn't work I'll do the complete tuneup. Thanks, that's why I love this forum so much, you guys are a great help to those of us who are not that knowledgeable about fieros. I will make sure my grounds are in good shape too.

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 01-26-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
Mine has started something like described above. The ALDL data shows 13.9 volts while running and 12.0 volts not running, so I guess I am in line for a new battery.

verify your voltage at the battery with a good meter. check your grounds also. those are not too far off, and might be replecgting bad connections

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock