Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Has anyone been able to fabricate or fit a double din stereo in their Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone been able to fabricate or fit a double din stereo in their Fiero? by Dre13Style
Started on: 06-20-2012 09:33 AM
Replies: 37 (5065 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 07-22-2022 02:30 PM
Dre13Style

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi to all. I am brand spankin new to the fiero forums. I recently scored a 84 Quad 4 fiero with all 87 GT panels on it and i am super excited. We started the resto back about 6 months ago and finally Its about 90% restored. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck fitting a double din radio in their fiero. Any pics or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
search is your friend. Many threads on here about his topic.
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip, i did try that. i really only found 1-2 semi helpful threads with some pics. I would love to be able to hunt down something that is super detailed and maybe even includes a video
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a recommendation you might not have thought of. There are some DIN-and-a-half units out there specifically made to exactly replace a GM unit. I have a Pioneer unit, it's a few years old, but it has lots of really cool features, including a 3 band fully parametric EQ, an input bus that you can connect anything to with the right Pioneer adapter (I use mine for line-level RCA inputs; you can also get one for an iPod dock, etc. Has detachable faceplate, subwoofer outputs, line-level and speaker level outputs, detachable face, etc. and it's grey, blends beautifully with the car. Oh yeah, it has an adjustable high-pass filter, a must if you have stock headrest speakers that you want to keep.

It's the easiest and best looking swap; I have seen some really nice Fiero sound systems but they usually have single-din units... and putting a single in is a PITA unless you don't mind it sticking out an inch...
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my issue is that i already bought a double din for my Vette but decided not to use it there. So now its brand new still sitting in the box at my house.
I did find some other forums of just a few small amount of people who managed to fabricate and shave/file down the spot in the dash to make it work but clearly every unit with clearance and size is different. My fear is i wont be able to use the touch screen due to the manual shifters placement.
Does your unit that you purchased have navigation? that was another reason why i sprung for this radio.
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My unit doesn't have navi. In my Fiero, I strongly prefer to use a windshield-mounted navi (I even hard-wired mine so no unsightly cables). The Fiero radio is positioned so low that looking at the navi while driving would IMO be dangerous. That and the fact that the Fiero's radio placement makes it a little hard to reach - but maybe that's just my short arms. Good luck with whatever you do, just remember that replacement center stacks for Fieros are very hard to replace anymore, so once you cut, you are committed.

[This message has been edited by Fierotoyboy (edited 06-20-2012).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about making a custome center dash section that moved the stereo up and the climate controls and vents down but then I didn't know what to do with the GT gauges... Perhaps move them to the pillar...?
http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=52052&d=252&p=1
http://www.fierostore.com/P...1&d=252&p=1&lp=52052
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bat...em564ae51054&vxp=mtr ?
or better yet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAR..._Accessories&vxp=mtr
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well in this case idk if i am lucky or not, my car is technically an 84 i have no GT gauges just GT body panels for the exterior. I can see if you did though how it could potentially be a great idea with a side pillar instead of the stock placement. All of this info is great, i am going to keep compiling and i hope to get the project situated and undergoing soon. My Boyfriend has agreed to help doing the customization work so i feel as though my car will be in great hands since he is also restoring it. I just wish someone had a vid or better pics of their completed job somewhere.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2012 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't nkow if even switching the radio for the heater controls and vent if it be high enough.. to be safe.. as a nav..
g.m. had a thing for radios being low in the late 70's through late 80's
cant tell ya how many times I lugged a gear in my 5spd t/a and had a penny or dime jump into the catt deck..
my 86 SS the radio is really low..
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread will probably give you plenty of ideas...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000098.html
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pioneer Appradio 3 is going in this custom surround up to now, but might change my mind for a different 2 din Pioneer head unit.

PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut out the metal bracket at the back of the skeleton, then used a dremel to trim down my bezel to fit in my Pioneer double DIN unit in. To finish it off I got a mount kit from eBay. It sticks out a bit, but nothing like you would get with a single DIN unit and aftermarket adapter kit.

Adapter kit from eBay - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radi...20273&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 11-04-2013).]

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old post. This is something I looked in to several years back. No real solutions out there at the time. As I read through any recent postings it appears nothing has come up since. I am surprised. My whole thing with adding a double din is the cutting of the bezel. To me the end result needs to look like it was meant to be there. Like factory. Back when I was researching it I found a Fiero for sale on ebay with a double din. The install was perfect. I exchanged some emails with him, but cannot remember what he told me. What I did get out of it is that it CAN be done.

A thought- Is the factory bezel something that could be 3d printed? Could it be scanned in it's current form, modified for double din, and be 3d printed? Could the opening be modified on a milling machine to provide a perfectly straight edge?

Sorry such an old topic. Just interested.
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been some time! While i certainly did not do the best job, i did manage to slam in a Double DIN since my original posting. I literally already had a cracked broken beat up trim piece that went around my stock radio. I wasnt put off my cutting it at the time. I just wanted the Navi and radio in! It is in, just not pretty. It is on my to-do list of things for later. As of now it works just fine and im lucky if i get 700 miles on her in the season. I converted my dash gauges to blue LED's, the plan has been once im ready to do the heat controls too i will tackle the radio aesthetics issue at the same time since they both will be disassembled simultaneously.

I wish you luck if you plan on tackling this soon too.
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dre13Style

35 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Shifterlogo by andrea513, on Flickr
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The replacement bezel is actually one of the things I'm working on now, though mine will be tailored around a single DIN touch screen set up I'm working on at the moment, but don't expect anything that I'd be able to provide to other people any time soon.

I think part of the problem at this point is that there really isn't a solid specification on double DIN outside of chassis size. Even in newer vehicles that came with a double DIN from the factory, many aftermarket radios look like they're hacked in there, as opposed to being able to get clean looks from the single DINs years back, assuming you used a solid install kit as opposed to the $10 Scosche kit from WalMart. Then combine that with the US double DIN units being slightly smaller than the international double DIN specification, and you have a whole new set of issues to deal with. Such as the case with the Fiero - if you buy something from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc in the USA, it can be made to fit in the Fiero. You buy something from the Chinese companies - Joying, Eonon, Pumpkin, etc, you're going to have a radio that will be occupying the same space as the HVAC controls with the radio in the stock location (I have a few of these radios here...I tried fitting one in the GT...no go, even if I did carve up the console behind the bezel).

From a personal standpoint, I can accept a less than factory appearance when I down a few fizzy drinks, and hack the snot out of a bezel to fit the radio. But if I'm buying a bezel from someone, or some company, I'm going to expect a clean appearance that looks factory. Given the huge variance in aftermarket radios today, that's a tall order to fill, and not one that I believe can be solved with a general "double DIN bezel".
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is all very well put! i agree with you on the exact dimensions all seem to vary slightly. I have a clarion radio in my Fiero. Im sure like you said there are people out there who can custom make anything you want. I did order a metal plate before, it involved switching the heater controls lower and radio up. But it came looking awful and butchered so i abandoned that. Like you said, if im buying something specific it better be GREAT! i dont mind butchering it on my own for the time being, just havent found the right product for me yet.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2017 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a single DIN unit with a pop out 7" screen and an adapter to fit it in the 1.5 DIN Fiero opening. It has an integrated NAV system and I have no issues using it even with my five speed manual transmission.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-25-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2017 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a guy on a Fiero facebook page that makes custom bezels to replace the stock on. You have to wrap them with something though.

He has one that puts it in the stock location, and one where you move the heater controls to the bottom and put the 2 din unit in the middle.

I just cut a spare bezel

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2017 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wgpierce

376 posts
Member since Aug 2016
There's also this for the single din slot:

https://www.carjoying.com/c...ehicle/category/466/

kriswinner

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2017 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a Pontiac Vibe radio in my Formula.
It looks very similar to this picture:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../067014-24.html#p925

Doesn't look hacked in at all.

(instructions: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-094799.html )

[This message has been edited by kriswinner (edited 10-26-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

There's also this for the single din slot:

https://www.carjoying.com/c.. .ehicle/category/466/

Interesting looking.

Nelson
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2017 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine. You can see my interior build here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/096949-2.html

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

Here's mine. You can see my interior build here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/096949-2.html

Sorry. Got no email notices on your replies and forgot (I am getting old).

Not much has changed on this subject, but one thing caught my eye- I did not know there were differences in the name brand head unit dimensions vs. generic. Good to know.

I like the idea of swapping the location of the headunit with the heater controls. I am guessing this requires cutting metal?

If I were to want to just mount a double din in the existing location and want a clean cut out I had thought to somehow chuck the bezel up in a milling machine to make sure of a perfectly straight cut. Using the correct diameter cutter should get the matching radii in the corners.

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:
If I were to want to just mount a double din in the existing location and want a clean cut out I had thought to somehow chuck the bezel up in a milling machine to make sure of a perfectly straight cut. Using the correct diameter cutter should get the matching radii in the corners.

IIRC, the 1.5 din opening in the stock bezel is wider than a norlam 2 Din unit, so if you made a straight cut on the sides, you would have a gap on each side.

BTW, if you are in NC, I grew up in your town....

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2017 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

BTW, if you are in NC, I grew up in your town....

No, sorry not the same Hendersonville. But, in the same neighborhood. I am in Hendersonville, TN.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2017 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the idea of swapping the location of the headunit with the heater controls. I am guessing this requires cutting metal?

No metal to cut. There's a plastic housing that holds the hvac controls and head unit. Many times this gets brittle and cracked with age, as was mine. I cut that out with a dremel cutoff wheel. Then built a new one out of wood with brackets and mounting holes to hold the double din head unit and relocated hvac controls.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. To keep this one alive.
Now that almost 6 years have gone by. What's good to use now days ? I'm considering a Kenwood unit from bestbuy.
Kenwood Double DIN
Is HD radio the same as regular FM?
I don't understand what regular live radio it can do?

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap SOLD
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i make a full skeleton that moved the radio up and allows a double din now.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

i make a full skeleton that moved the radio up and allows a double din now.

More info?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The first pic is what is looks like installed the second pic shows the whole skeleton. The double din is 290 shipped in usa payment through paypal friends and family. If you want the stock skeleton it does not include a new face place because it is meant for stock cars is 240 shipped usa.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch for mmeyer86gt/gtp, his product is top notch! Even if you do not do it for the double din feature and stay stock, you will not be disappointed with the new skeleton. Very well made and much stronger. At this point the skeleton will last longer than the car now.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 07-21-2022).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I can vouch for mmeyer86gt/gtp, his product is top notch!

I failed to mention that my install also uses mmeyer's printed skeleton and faceplate. Worked nicely.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres mine, too lazy to go outside take a picture so a screenshot from a picture I already had

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5177717

Requires no mounting brackets or hardware, but you do need to cut into the skeleton under the climate control for the double din to fit. The climate control is basically being held up by the double din, so I dont think cutting this material will cause any stress to the frame.

(Also I copied someone elses work and splice it around so that the radio would be at the bottom, the credits for that are in the thingiverse post)

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 07-21-2022).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2022 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

Heres mine, too lazy to go outside take a picture so a screenshot from a picture I already had

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5177717

Requires no mounting brackets or hardware, but you do need to cut into the skeleton under the climate control for the double din to fit. The climate control is basically being held up by the double din, so I dont think cutting this material will cause any stress to the frame.

(Also I copied someone elses work and splice it around so that the radio would be at the bottom, the credits for that are in the thingiverse post)

That is definitely a viable solution. However, it still does not address that the skeleton itself is probably falling apart in many other places. I would much rather prefer all my stuff to be firmly mounted as I have done stuff like this in the past with other vehicles only to have stuff move around doing some spirited driving. Dont want to discourage anyone from doing what fits best for then (pun intended) but just wanted to share my thoughts.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2022 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I would much rather prefer all my stuff to be firmly mounted as I have done stuff like this in the past with other vehicles only to have stuff move around doing some spirited driving.

I could see that being true, and its always a better solution to have things mounted properly. My skeleton is definitely falling apart. Luckily I havent noticed any movement since the 8 months that I have been daily driving this car, but also I dont have many twisty roads near where I live.

The stock climate control mounting locations are all fully usable, but for my case the single right one isnt because of damage to my skeleton. I was only able to use 2 of the stock mounting spots for the radio, but I decided to put a screw underneath on the right side for better positioning.

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2022 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

Requires no mounting brackets or hardware.

I am realizing this may have been misleading, what I meant is you do not have to custom fabricate/print mounting brackets, or buy new hardware. Stock locations and screws were used, but not all of them. There are mounts that usually come with most radios that you need, which is the metal thing on either side of the radio in my picture.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock