1987 GT Build Lots of Pictures by blander66
Started on: 07-12-2011 02:33 PM
Replies: 66 (3578 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 01-27-2015 05:31 PM
blander66

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Life has been crazy lately so I have not made a ton of progress actually working on the car, I have gotten a ton of the planning and design part of the swap done, I am going to be fabricating up my own alternator bracket to mount the alternator above the AC pump. I have been doing plenty of sandblasting and painting of small parts brackets etc.

I masked off all of the stuff left in the engine bay and primed and painted the engine bay
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I installed the fuel expansion tank and the lines after I blasted and painted them.

I hopefully should be making a lot of progress in the next few weeks
IP: Logged
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So as I was starting to plan out my wiring harnesses and think of ways to clean up the wiring I decided to relocate my C500 to the B-pillar on the drivers side.

The spot is actually not that hard to get to, I am a big guy and am able to reach my arm into the B-pillar to place the connector.

I am going to be updating a lot of wires and adding a few newer features more to come this weekend
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a good amount of work done on ion my car over this weekend, I got all my brackets and my belt routing figured out. I did the intial mock up but still have to add more stiffness to the brackts

I mounted my alt down low so I would be able to use the sock location for the dog bone bracket

I still need to do a bit of work on the upper bracket this is mainly to hold the correct potion so I could get the belt routing figured out

With my belt routing and alt position figured out I pulled the engine and trans off the sub frame, then cleaned and painted the subframe

hopefully I should be making a lot of progress in the next few weeks, I am shooting to have the engine in the car by the end of the month
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have been working on tearing down the engine so I can start to get every thing sandblasted and painted for the final build up
I got the engine block cleaned up and painted last night and also got my compressor fixed so I was able to start sand blasting all the engien and transmission mounts

Here is a picture of the engine after I pained the block
I still need to better clean up the heads and make them look better, Im not sure what I will do with them yet

My clutch should be ariving today so Over the weekend I should be able to get the engine and transmission bolted together and Installed in the cradle
86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blander66:

Well I have been working on tearing down the engine so I can start to get every thing sandblasted and painted for the final build up
I got the engine block cleaned up and painted last night and also got my compressor fixed so I was able to start sand blasting all the engien and transmission mounts

Here is a picture of the engine after I pained the block
I still need to better clean up the heads and make them look better, Im not sure what I will do with them yet

My clutch should be ariving today so Over the weekend I should be able to get the engine and transmission bolted together and Installed in the cradle

I love your alternator setup but one thing i noticed is that you don't have much wrap on your compressor..a good way to fix that may be to put an idler pully in the factory location between the crank pully and the water pump and run a longer belt..

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 5speed soon to have a 3800 sc

87 GT 3400 5spd-- FOR SALE --

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have not made to much progress this week on the car I have been busy rebuilding this

It is a lawn tractor transaxle, it stopped working becasue of this broken spring

wosrt part was I was not able to buy just the spring so It cost a little more than expected to fix,

I was able to get some work done on the engine though, I added another idler to increase the belt wrap on my a/c compressor and crank pulley

I should hopfully get a order from the fiero strore today so I can move ahead with installing my clutch and transmision to the engine for the final time

[This message has been edited by blander66 (edited 07-12-2012).]

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the super high tempatures latley I have not gotten as much work done on the fiero as I woudl have liked to, the clutch has now been installed and the engine and transmission are intsalled on the sub frame for the final time.

I managed to get the timing chain cover painted and installed for the final time.

I still need to finish up the upper alt bracket and put some finishing details on the lower bracket so I can install the engine into the car

86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!!

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 5speed soon to have a 3800 sc

87 GT 3400 5spd-- FOR SALE --

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I am almost done with the lower alt bracket. I had to add another feature to it after trying to find a spot to mount the oil pressure sensor. The factory location for this engine I used for the knock sensor becasue it Put it nearest the factory 3400 Location. So to provide oil pressure for the sensor I am going to use the port above the oil filter. There was not enough room to mount the sensor directly and have room to ever get it out with out dropping the engine. So i decided to remote mount it sort of like the Factory V6's did

I added a bracket to mount the oil sensor too

I used 2 peices of steel to make the mount, in the 1st I drilled a hole then used a square file to create the hex that fit in the fittings, and the back part i drilled a smaller hole to let the fitting for the line pass thru. This way if I ever need to replace the sensor I can use use a deep socket to replace it

This is how it will all mount up, The copper line running from the block to the sensor should be pretty short.

Here is where I mounted the Knock Sensor, The factory mounted it above the oil Filter but on the LNJ block there is no boss in that location, I used this location rather than the other side of the block to allow me to hide more of the wiring, My goal is to have almost no visable wires on the engine
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well in the past few days I have made some progress, I now have the car sitting on its front wheels and almost have the engine ready to go in. I need to finish welding the upper alt bracket before I can install the engine, install a longer dipstick to make it easier to access and measure for my belt. I am shooting to have all of this done next week sometime as I am heading out of town for the weekend

sirtimeless

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sirtimelessClick Here to visit sirtimeless's HomePageSend a Private Message to sirtimelessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a love hate relationship me reading through these build threads. I love the work you are doing , but am kicking myself that i didn't upgrade past the 2.8 when I had my engine out lol.
PFF
System Bot
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I did not make as much progress this week as I had hoped but I still got a fair amount done.
I got the engine installed into the car

I also got started on rebuilding the rear calipers

I orderd some new pistions for the rear calipers from rock auto, this way i dont have to worry about having leaking pistions
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep this out of the archives. The car is now currently in storage as I have moved 6 hours away for a new job, I am planning on getting back to the car in the spring time, In the mean time I wil continue to collect parts and work on the wiring harness
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well a bit of a crappy update. I had this car and all the parts in storage in Illinois, I had to put it there when i moved to Michigan and did not have a place to keep the car here yet.
I had gotten the fiero out of the storage unit in December and brought it to Michigan so i could start working on it again. Fast forward a few months I found out that my storage unit had
been cleaned out and all my parts, furniture, compressor, blast cabient, Complete LS4 and my K5 with a supercharged ls1 were gone. I found the truck for Sale and was able to get it back only after suing the guy I was renting space from. He was supposed to give me the rest of the stuff back but has not. So it is all pretty much a loss as he has no assets on paper so I cant collect any money form the court order.

So I am in the process of recollecting the parts I need to finish this car and get it on the road
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry to hear about all your losses.. I hate scumbags that need to make a living on stealing someone else's hard earned money and possessions.. what parts are you looking for to complete this swap?

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 3400 5speed

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 toy:

sorry to hear about all your losses.. I hate scumbags that need to make a living on stealing someone else's hard earned money and possessions.. what parts are you looking for to complete this swap?

I am looking for a Dash Board, Gray interior Panels, Head Liner, Engine Bay Vents, Rear Lights Harness, Engine harness( I only need the C500 end to be intact), Rear Struts, Coolant Fan, The pannels that go behind the GT quarter windows (Not sure what they are actually called), BCM from a N-body(Alero Grand Prix) The plastic Wheel Wells for all 4 corners, Factory GT exhaust. Thats all I know for now, I am in the process of taking a inventory so I know exactly all the stuff I need
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have an engine harness from my 87 GT 2.8 5speed and a walker replacement exhaust that was cut off after the cat and is missing the tips.. $20 shipped for the engine harness. i'm not sure how i would ship the exhaust but i'll sell it for $25 plus shipping cost.. I would need a pretty big box?

Edit: i may have a cooling fan also.. i'll look today

[This message has been edited by 86 toy (edited 08-09-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-31-2014).]

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

I am still working on gathering parts to replace the stolen ones, and I moved the car to a new workspace with a lift etc so just waiting for that to all be setup so i can start working on this again pretty soon
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted and then re-read the last couple of posts, so to no sound like a jacka$$... I edited my post. I was just lovin' the build up till then.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 02-10-2014).]

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have been in parts gathering mode for the past few months, I ended up getting a parts car to get all the interior parts that I need to replace, Hopefully I will be making a lot more progress in the near future, I now have my car in a nice shop with a lift so that should help me make progress quicker

Got these in the mail yesterday hopefully this will motivate me to get the car done sooner
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Looking forward to the updates!
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it has been a while so here is a update. I actually have some free time with work being slow so I am starting to spend time on this project again

I tore my shifter apart to install a set of bronze bushings from Rodney Dickman

This tightened the shifter up very well. In combination with new bronze bushings on the transmission end and new shift cables

I built my rear coil overs and got them installed. I sanded and painted the wheel wells while I was at it

I also decided that I should upgrade my brakes rather then trying to start off with the stock ones.

I am going with 13" front brakes and using 88-96 corvette rears to keep my parking brake

Hopefully more to follow in the next few months
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well making more progress on getting parts together. I got my headlight motors rebuilt. Then after they were all together I realized that I had 2 right hand motors so I had to modify the one to make it a left hand motor. This was as simple as drilling a hole and making a plug for the cover plate hole. I used a spare cover and JB quick weld to make the shape then filed and sanded it to the correct size. I also got my new front calipers rebuilt and am just waiting on brackets so I can start installing them

I even went thru and replaces the original bolts as I had broke a few. I upgraded to stainless allen head bolts for a better look

I cant wait to get these in the car.

I still have to run thru the math and see how these are going to work with the car can determine which master cylinder I want to run.
The biggest hurdle that I have left is designing the cars wiring harness. I am keeping the OBD2 and adding a BCM from an alero to allow me to have a bunch of cool features integrated more to follow on this
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little more work done on the car the rest of this past weekend. Got my headlights all put together and started to tear more body pannels off the car in prep for more painting and starting to wire up the car

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some more done this past weekend, not as much as I would like to but I needed to do some stuff around my house.

Here is a shot of the shop I store and work on my fiero in

The fiero resides behind the tarped fence

The main thing I got done last week/weekend was the assembly of my LED tail lights

I also started to lay out my interior wiring harness and plan for the mods I will do to it. I am planning on adding a 2000ish BCM from an grand prix or alero. This way I can get keyless entry, auto headlights, and all the other cool features that come with it
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I got the kit for the LED tail lights recently as well! I still gotta put them together though! Nice shop man!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors