1987 GT Build Lots of Pictures by blander66
Started on: 07-12-2011 02:33 PM
Replies: 66 (3581 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 01-27-2015 05:31 PM
blander66

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought this car this past weekend, the car was already mostly taken apart when i bought it. It came with most of the parts i need to put it all back together and 2 engines. I am going to ditch both of them and step into the modern age with a 2005 3400. I will be mating this to the 5 speed transmission that came with the GT.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This car is very free from rust which is great, I plan on cleaning the engine bay up and spraying some new paint in it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up the 3400 over the weekend, this engine only has a few thousand miles on it

I also started to pull parts off the front end so i can clean every thing up and put a rest coat on paint on it

I noticed that it looks like the frame has been welded on here, is that something i should worry about?
IronDookie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IronDookieSend a Private Message to IronDookieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if the panels all go on straight i wouldnt worry about it. hard to see the welds in that shot but if they look good and the panels are straight id leave it alone
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks about like mine did when I started only mines an 86. Nice to see another one so close to me. Edit to say is the spoiler on the rear backwards in pic #2??

------------------

Getting closer every day!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie072003 (edited 07-26-2011).]

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

Looks about like mine did when I started only mines an 86. Nice to see another one so close to me. Edit to say is the spoiler on the rear backwards in pic #2??

The spoiler is not bolted on it was just sitting there for the picture
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i have been doing a lot of reading on 3400 swaps. There are still a few things i need to figure out, but so far my plans for this car as are follows

05 3400 mated to a 5 speed
I am going to be running a PCM from a 2001 Alero
I am going to attempt to use the stock exhaust for now, i would like to build headers in the future

As for the car its self
Rear coil overs
Front lowering ball joint
Poly Bushing all around

So for any one that has done this swap have any of you mounted the alt down low rather than up top where i would have to notch the deck lid
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blander66:

Well i have been doing a lot of reading on 3400 swaps. There are still a few things i need to figure out, but so far my plans for this car as are follows

05 3400 mated to a 5 speed
I am going to be running a PCM from a 2001 Alero
I am going to attempt to use the stock exhaust for now, i would like to build headers in the future

As for the car its self
Rear coil overs
Front lowering ball joint
Poly Bushing all around

So for any one that has done this swap have any of you mounted the alt down low rather than up top where i would have to notch the deck lid

whatcha need to figure out? i might have some answers for ya.
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

whatcha need to figure out? i might have some answers for ya.

I am looking for a solution to mounting the Altnenator lower so i can keep the stock dog bone mount and not have to cut my deck lid
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blander66:

I am looking for a solution to mounting the Altnenator lower so i can keep the stock dog bone mount and not have to cut my deck lid

if i remember correctly, you gota use the old style alternator for that setup, and the backets from a 2nd gen 60degree (like a 3.1 beretta) id ask on 60degree to be certain tho.

dutch13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dutch13Send a Private Message to dutch13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

Congrats on the purchace. I actually used the stock 3400 a/c mount for my low mount alternator. It took a bit of cutting and shaving but seems to be okay. Take a peek on my build and I can answer any questions that you have. I'm still finishing up the turbo set up before I fire it up but if you have other questions just shoot a pm.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116020.html
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also wanting to keep the AC so i would have to mount the alt below the stock dog bone location

Originally posted by dutch13:

Hey,

Congrats on the purchace. I actually used the stock 3400 a/c mount for my low mount alternator. It took a bit of cutting and shaving but seems to be okay. Take a peek on my build and I can answer any questions that you have. I'm still finishing up the turbo set up before I fire it up but if you have other questions just shoot a pm.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116020.html

PFF
System Bot
86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i had a mounting solution for the alt. below the stock location but i spent hours trying to figure out belt routing and couldnt come up with a way for an auto tensioner to work properly.. i have decided to keep my stock 2003 alternator and i am going to come up with a dog bone mount bracket that comes off the back side of the engine cradle and bolts to the side of the engine block.. when i start building something i will post pictures and my ideas.. subscribed to thread and good luck with the swap.. mounting the engine in the cradle is a piece of cake!! any questions just ask .
a pic of my engine and trans before it was mounted in the cradle:

and a pic of one of my mocked up headers..

hope this gives you some good motivation :-)

------------------
--Mark--
87 GT soon to be 3400 SFI OBD2

[This message has been edited by 86 toy (edited 07-29-2011).]

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Are you making the headers yourself? And please post the details about your pcm/wiring when you get to that point. I'm probably going to be starting a 3500 swap soon, but I'm doing the homework now.
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I am bulling headers myself..I sent the pcm from the 2003 grand am to sinister performance www.gmtuners.com. to be modified to work in the Fiero with a 5speed trans. I highly recomend them for this type of work. as for wiring I plan to cut up the grand am engine harness to make it fit my car. I will be using the wiring instructions from sinisters website..hope this helps..sorry about hijacking the OP thread
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a nice and clean rust free car, should be the perfect starting point for your project. Good luck with it and be sure to post pictures as your build progresses!
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i got a good amount of work done this weekend, I picked up one of these so i have been cleaning up all the parts that i have taken off the car so far

I pulled the fuel tank out so i could swap to a different fuel pump and was surprised how clean it was, besides the huge dents on the bottom of the tank. I am thinking i will use my stud gun to pull the dents out of the bottom of the fuel tank

I pulled the struts out and was surprised at how good of shape they are in, I will be taking these apart and converting them into coil overs
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i got a bunch of work done on the car today. Now the rear suspension is completely torn down and i am in the process of sandblasting it all. I started to tear down the front suspension and have one side torn down so far.

Here are the rear calipers all cleaned up and ready for paint

Here are the rear calipers looking all new
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got another good day of work in today
I got a good majority of the suspension parts blasted today

Who ever owned this car before me removed most of the battery tray but botched it pretty bad.

I started to grind the rust away and started the metal work. I am going to weld up all the holes and smooth it out before i spray the engine bay

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Progress has been a little slow latley
I got all the parts i have sandblasted so far painted

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i decided to start getting the engine squared away, I discovered that the almost new engine would not turn over. So after pulling the valve covers i discovered a large mouse nest in the valve covers and under the intake. The engine would still not turn completely over so i ended up pulling the heads off and found this

damn mice, so now i get to add head gaskets and head bolts to my list of parts needed for this build.
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the heater box out of and pulled it all apart to replace all the foam. The original foam was in horrible shape and just falling apart

My 84 Made a perfect work bench for tearing this apart

There was Dust build up like this threw most of the ducting. I cleaned all of this out so i can have a like new HVAC system

This is what it looked like after i was all done with it

I also Cleaned up the transmission and painted it

PFF
System Bot
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have not made to much progress on the car latley, I have been distracted building a 1911 for my grandfather

I finally got the car moved in the garage so i can work on it in the winter and the city stops threatening to tow it away lol. It was not an easy task to move the car being that it has no suspension on it.

Now its in the garage, My next step is to get the front suspension together so i can get it off the tires, Im not to thrilled about having in resting on tires like it is. My front suspension is all been blasted and painted and I am just waiting to get my springs back from powder coating to assemble everthing
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
Great thread!

What he said.
Very impressive work. Will be watching this one.

Thanks for sharing.
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled my throttle body apart and blasted all the dirt and grim off it. I painted it and reassembled it.

I also did the same thing to the lower intake and the valve covers

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blander66

285 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Well I got a bit more done today, I installed the intake manifold, valve covers, and the oil pan. Then I start to figure out what I am going to haveto do to mount the coil pack on the backside of the engine. Where it is mounted from the factory would put it right in the way of the dog bone mounting area. To do this the only thing needing to be done is create a spot for the upper coil pack mounts to attach.

The clearance for the hose is pretty tight, I will end up having to bend the plate a little bit to ensure there is enough clearence

I am going to grind off the original mounting points and smooth the area down
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your work looks great so far! I would like to replace the foam inside my dash also. Where did you get it? What do I ask for?

Thanks,

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Your work looks great so far! I would like to replace the foam inside my dash also. Where did you get it? What do I ask for?

Thanks,

I got it at Ace hardware, it is open cell foam, it will come in strips with adhesive backing. I also used a weather stripping adhesive to glue the sides of the strips together. I only used 2 different sizes, the thinner stuff for the blend doors and the thicker stuff on the mating surfaces

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I decided rather than wait until I can get a clutch, I bolted the trans to the engine so i could mock it up in the subframe and start figuring out my belt routing

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its looking really good. I am on hold with doing anything to mine at the moment since I am out of work. Hoping something comes up soon so I don't have to sell it.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4, Suspension Technologies with coilovers, Complete poly suspension.

Donnie

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do realize that I'm going to read this thread from start to end about 27 times in the next week right?

Thanks for posting and keep the pics and pointers coming. This stuff is priceless!

PFF
System Bot
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to start working some on the interior some and installed some heat sheilding/ sound deading material, I used duct insulation from lowes, For the price it will work great. IT was only $20 a rolll and 3 rolls will be plenty to do the interior

I decided to replace the old worn out plastic select shaft bushings with Rodneys to help tighten the shift linkage up some

I also started to get my front suspension put back together, I will post some pictures when I have it a little more together
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some updated pictures from the past few weeks of work I have done

I have the front suspension almost completely together now, I still need to touch the parts up a little more and final torque everything. I will also be replacing the old rubber brake lines with some braided stainless ones

I decided to replace the bushing in my rack and pinion while I had it out of the car

This is the housing with the rack and pinion removed

The pinion gear was in great shape with only some polishing on the active face of the gears

The assembly that provides preload to the rack

The racks gear teeth, I cleaned and then regreased

the other end of the rack

This is the new bronze bushing I installed
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know there is a section for builds, right?

P.S. Looks very nice. Keep up the good work.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:
You know there is a section for builds, right?

He won't be able to post in there until Cliff deems the thread worthy of being moved over to The Construction Zone.
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh.
blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a good amount of work done today

I got this starter motor for a core price to use for mock up, being curious I decided to open in up and see what was bad, all that was wrong was the bendix was stuck becasuse of rust on the shaft, I soaked it in PB blasted for a little bit and was able to get it working again.

This is the planetary reduction unit for the starter

I cleaned up the starter parts and painted them

To get the starter back together I used a socket to retain the Brushes into there cavities

I then was able to easily slip the brushes onto the motor

I sand Blasted my front calipers and used the ceramic caliper paint on them

When I was cutting up a fiero I save the engine bay to use as a mock up, this will be really handy in the future....

I am going to use the stock location for the Dog bone mount, I just need to make the engine side of the mount

There looks to be enough room for me to mount my alternator next to the AC this will really help make the engine bay cleaner

Theses are front 3500 manifolds, they clear every thing really well

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome progress!

More?

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-17-2012).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, do you have a logon on 60*? if you do, be sure to join the owner's group over there!

PS, Thanks for not putting fiero iron heads on it.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

blander66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blander66Send a Private Message to blander66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

Looking good, do you have a logon on 60*? if you do, be sure to join the owner's group over there!

PS, Thanks for not putting fiero iron heads on it.

I do have a log in over there I will have to check it out thanks, and I would have never thought of putting iron heads on a 3400 I don't like going backwards in technology.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock