Started on: 04-04-2006 08:37 AM
Replies: 426 (57060 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 09-13-2023 08:09 AM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcarrd:
So are Grand Am calipers considered "bigger calipers"? Dont they have a larger piston?

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

They are only a little bit bigger

The Grand Am calipers are 57mm vs 48mm and while it might not seem like much of an increase, but they are a 40% increase in piston area and subsequent fluid requirement.
IP: Logged
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is Orge so dead set against the upgrade?

My 87 stop OK,and then after I swaped the booster with one of sardonyx247 sells HERE.

Afterwards the improvement was so much better that there was no question in the improvement...No new pads or diff brand pads no air in the lines old or contaminated brake fluid,just better performance.

About a year later I did the 12 inch vette rotors and 88 calipers upgrade on the same car and it became an even better investment.

I don't have any techinal stuff or engineering drawings or even a automotive degree.....but have been driving this same car for years and can tell the cars ins and outs of it.

And it is very good for my car.... Eric,
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So to be clear we can use the 92-96 Chev S10 Boosters?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "Bone yard" told me' 95-'97 S10, Blazer, 2 & 4 door all work. I used '96 S10 6 cyl.
Chelo Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://m.summitracing.com/p...ications?prefilter=1

Here are a list of all the models.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:
Ogre, All new premium pads, all new rotors, calipers, hoses, no air in lines. Old Booster did not have a" vacuum leak", still held vacuum from at least DAYS before I disconnected it. no leak from engine to booster. All was new BEFORE putting the 96 S10 unit on. Is it possible the old booster Was bad without showing any "Signs" of it ?

Yes
Booster can die w/o vacuum leak. Is one failure mode on dual diaphragm booster. google: vacuum booster failure
vac filter (84-86 L4) is dieing and kill brake performance.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32160 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by fieroguru:
The Grand Am calipers are 57mm vs 48mm and while it might not seem like much of an increase, but they are a 40% increase in piston area and subsequent fluid requirement.

Correct. Is why GA caliper need Blazer MC.
But Blazer MC hate OE calipers.

See my Cave, Brake Upgrade (Link is fixed now)

Originally posted by fireboss:
Why is Orge so dead set against the upgrade?

My 87 stop OK,and then after I swaped the booster with one of sardonyx247 sells HERE.

Afterwards the improvement was so much better that there was no question in the improvement...No new pads or diff brand pads no air in the lines old or contaminated brake fluid,just better performance.

About a year later I did the 12 inch vette rotors and 88 calipers upgrade on the same car and it became an even better investment.

I don't have any techinal stuff or engineering drawings or even a automotive degree.....but have been driving this same car for years and can tell the cars ins and outs of it.

And it is very good for my car.... Eric,

If you said "Ogre Don't like it" would be more correct. I don't like it because many are comparing dead/dieing parts w/ new bigger parts and other reasons.

Sorry but rest of your post is like a "guest" in infomercial and means little.

(edit die to dieing)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-05-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32160 posts
Member since Mar 99

I hear exactly what you are saying. but....
I had good stock brakes before the booster upgrade (I went through everything, SS lines, different ,stock, boosters, calipers don't stick slide nice, ebrake adjusts on first swing, new MC) and it just didn't seem right, good high firm pedal, but when I needed to stop NOW I had to stand on it, otherwise daily driving, they worked fine, everyone who drove my car (other Fiero owners) said I had great brakes. (BTW the biggest improvement was getting the E-brake to adjust, IIRC I had to replace a caliper) I was happy after that and all was fine but the more I drove newer cars the more I keep thinking something was wrong with the Fiero. I had allready swaped to drilled and slotted rotors, that got rid of ALL the brake fade, I swaped on the GA swap up front (as it was on another Fiero in the yard so cost was zero)
Not untill I swapped to the bigger booster was I really satified with the Fiero brakes.

When people buy/ask about a booster, I usally tell them to adjust the e-brake and make sure the system is in working order before hand. I agree with you I don't want the booster being a band aid/masking other problems. But the bigger booster is REAL NICE, you get used to it and can modulate the brakes just fine. What is scarry is haveing good stock brakes, standing on it as the dumb@#$ in front of you doesn't have brake lights and you notice late and worry if you can stop in time.

And, ok I will put this in caps, IF YOU CAN LOCK UP YOUR TIRES, YOU NEED BETTER TIRES, PERIOD!!!

Now look at where the booster comes from, an S10, Do you know the S10 comes with 3 different size boosters.?. Same vehicle, but the duke S10 only has a single diaphram booster, the 2.8L S10 has a Fiero size dual diaphram booster, the 4.3 S10 has the dual diaphram, bigger size booster. SAME CAR/TRUCK now if overboosting is a problem why does it not show up on the S10s.?. I have seen NOT ONE, not even one, person who did the upgrade, say "this sucks" not one.
Wow... Many problem with statements in this post. And Your are selling this upgrade.
  • Your "shot gun" approach to fix problems are common here and most other forums, lists, etc. Sorry but You have no idea or proof as to what problem are fix or hidden by big booster.
  • Big Booster will lock the brakes sooner than stock booster when everything else is same. Charts in this thread show line pressure results. Line pressure directly affects pressure on the pads. (Chart is 88 but 84-87 will see similar results.)
  • Locking brakes does not = need better tires. Even on dry pavement, most vehicles can and often will lock the front for panic stop. Locking on rear axle is Hard to Impossible to do in many vehicles. (Let's Ignoring ABS. Fiero and old cars don't have them.)
  • Comparing to S10 mean what? 3 boosters often are a sign to big changes in brakes. Example, a Light and Heavy Duty setups may need different boosters.
  • Saying "I have seen NOT ONE, not even one, person who did the upgrade, say "this sucks" not one." means very little. Most have no clue and just parrots same myths as _____ upgrades are best since slice bread. If big booster causes problems from touchy brakes then owners won't post big booster causes the wreak. If they survive, Most have no clue as to root cause of the spin-out, crash, etc.

Since I've posted big booster could be good upgrade, I've restored my Fiero brakes. Now? Nope. I'll pass.

Why Ogre?

I've posted my brake restoring as above, here...
    I have NO problems in stopping the car and no fading. Fading in normal traffic, even stop and go traffic, is often a sign that calipers have problems causing dragged pads or driver w/ issues like tailgating. Rebuilt units often have problems right out of the box, especially rear ones.
    I've drive many new and old cars. My restored Fiero brakes perform as well as many new cars and SUVs.

As I've said above, My Fiero is modified w/ left foot gas pedal.
    This adaption needs very good brakes.
    If you have Low Pedal, even a small amount, you will notice.
    You Cannot use two feet to push the brake pedal.

show in these 2 picture I've took today.
    As Installed:

This shows brake applied: (Right foot is resting on pedal guard.)

Note that my heel hits the mount on gas pedal. Most/All pedal force are in my ankle muscles.

Edit to add -> 87 L4, Auto Trans.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-05-2014).]

• IP: Logged
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32160 posts
    Member since Mar 99
    As I've said "Ogre Don't like it..."
    Yes. But don't hate it either.
    This Big Booster does made more Line Pressure but from charts in above link thread should be within safe rage. (under 2000psi is safe working pressure on most cars and light trucks. Most times working pressure is below ~1000psi.)

You might see big booster is good or whatever but depends on many things...
    Transmission is one big one.
    Auto trans will put a engine load on car when stopping. At idled V6 or V8 push more load thru auto trans then iron duke.
    Manuals then you push the clutch and no engine load goes to wheel while stopping.
    fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
    Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
    Sorry but rest of your post is like a "guest" in infomercial and means little.

(edit die to dieing)

If you mean by "guest" as someone who has tried the product in two different brake setups (on the same car over a few years of driving) and has seen an improvement and tells his real world experience....Well I call that actual experience.

But whatever......
    sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
    Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
    Wow... Many problem with statements in this post. And Your are selling this upgrade.
  • Your "shot gun" approach to fix problems are common here and most other forums, lists, etc. Sorry but You have no idea or proof as to what problem are fix or hidden by big booster.
  • Big Booster will lock the brakes sooner than stock booster when everything else is same. Charts in this thread show line pressure results. Line pressure directly affects pressure on the pads. (Chart is 88 but 84-87 will see similar results.)
  • Locking brakes does not = need better tires. Even on dry pavement, most vehicles can and often will lock the front for panic stop. Locking on rear axle is Hard to Impossible to do in many vehicles. (Let's Ignoring ABS. Fiero and old cars don't have them.)
  • Comparing to S10 mean what? 3 boosters often are a sign to big changes in brakes. Example, a Light and Heavy Duty setups may need different boosters.
  • Saying "I have seen NOT ONE, not even one, person who did the upgrade, say "this sucks" not one." means very little. Most have no clue and just parrots same myths as _____ upgrades are best since slice bread. If big booster causes problems from touchy brakes then owners won't post big booster causes the wreak. If they survive, Most have no clue as to root cause of the spin-out, crash, etc.

Since I've posted big booster could be good upgrade, I've restored my Fiero brakes. Now? Nope. I'll pass.

Why Ogre?

I've posted my brake restoring as above, here...
    I have NO problems in stopping the car and no fading. Fading in normal traffic, even stop and go traffic, is often a sign that calipers have problems causing dragged pads or driver w/ issues like tailgating. Rebuilt units often have problems right out of the box, especially rear ones.
    I've drive many new and old cars. My restored Fiero brakes perform as well as many new cars and SUVs.

As I've said above, My Fiero is modified w/ left foot gas pedal.
    This adaption needs very good brakes.
    If you have Low Pedal, even a small amount, you will notice.
    You Cannot use two feet to push the brake pedal.

• My "shot gun" approach to fix problems are common here and most other forums, lists, etc.
    What other lists? what other forums? what shotgun approach? what the hell are you talking about?

and "Sorry but You have no idea or proof as to what problem are fix or hidden by big booster."
    I don't try to hide any problems with a bigger booster, you can see in my for sale thread, I tell people to get thier system in working order, when they say I have a problem will your booster fix this.

I never said I got fade in normal traffic.
    PFF
    System Bot
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My "shot gun" approach to fix problems are common here and most other forums, lists, etc.
    What other lists? what other forums? what shotgun approach? what the hell are you talking about?

and "Sorry but You have no idea or proof as to what problem are fix or hidden by big booster."
    I don't try to hide any problems with a bigger booster, you can see in my for sale thread, I tell people to get thier system in working order, when they say I have a problem will your booster fix this.

I never said I got fade in normal traffic.

"shot gun" approach means throw parts at the problem and hope something fix it.
    Just like many here will replace entire HEI system and if that fix the problem, sadly often doesn't, you still have no clue if/when problem happen again.
    PFF and Many forums etc have many of posts saying "I replace most/all of my ignition/sensors/brakes/suspension..."

"Sorry but You have no idea or proof as to what problem are fix or hidden by big booster." Had little to do w/ sales page. I said this Because booster upgrade on your own car can fix or hide problem on your car.

My Fade statement because you said, "I had allready swaped to drilled and slotted rotors, that got rid of ALL the brake fade,"
    How does anyone know that your fade problem was in normal traffic, in a race, etc?

"Drilled and slotted rotors got rid of ALL the brake fade" points to poor pads for the application causing out gassing and/or dust problems.
    Drill/slot rotors can cause problems too but look in archives or use google.
    sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I am the last person to use a shotgun approach,
    I will tell people how to test thier parts
    The only time I will swap parts to test is when I have them on hand and there isn't a way to test the part.

I aggree that alot of people do that, but I am not one
    Rebtard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RebtardSend a Private Message to RebtardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I have gone through most of this thread, skipping over the childish come-backs, but paying extra attention when science or facts come up.

What I am actually wondering is:
    If you are able to lock-up your wheels/brakes when you stand on the pedal, how does one make the argument that the brake pad/rotor interface is unable to provide enough grip to overpower the tire/road contact patch friction?

Now before everyone starts throwing their off-color comments my direction, I know that brake fade after repeated stops is effected by the ability of the braking system to dissipate heat into the air and wheel. Duh. What I am really after is can someone actually provide scientific data (i.e. stopping distances before and after mod) about their experience (or lack of).

This being my first post to the forum, I'm sure I've already miffed someone, but I have to say that stopping should have a little bit of a priority over going when it comes to motoring down the roadway.

'Nuff Said.

------------------
    Knowledge isn't knowing the answer, but knowing where to find it.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
    Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rebtard:

I have gone through most of this thread, skipping over the childish come-backs, but paying extra attention when science or facts come up.

What I am actually wondering is:
    If you are able to lock-up your wheels/brakes when you stand on the pedal, how does one make the argument that the brake pad/rotor interface is unable to provide enough grip to overpower the tire/road contact patch friction?

Now before everyone starts throwing their off-color comments my direction, I know that brake fade after repeated stops is effected by the ability of the braking system to dissipate heat into the air and wheel. Duh. What I am really after is can someone actually provide scientific data (i.e. stopping distances before and after mod) about their experience (or lack of).

This being my first post to the forum, I'm sure I've already miffed someone, but I have to say that stopping should have a little bit of a priority over going when it comes to motoring down the roadway.

'Nuff Said.

Welcome to the forum!

[full disclosure]
    I design and sell brake kits for Fieros so I am biased.
    [/full disclosure]

Now your question... if you want to keep your Fiero bone stock, run 80's tires, stay under 55 mph, and drive it like a commuter car, then there is no reason to do any upgrade to your brakes.

However, if you want to add weight to your Fiero (stereo, engine swap, body kit, etc), run wider/stickier tires, run larger diameter wheels, brake from speeds north of 75 mph, or drive the car like a sports car, then you will find benefit in some kind of brake upgrade. All of these scenarios have the ability to over tax the stock Fiero brake system.

Some people are perfectly happy with the stopping power of their Fiero, but wish it could accomplish the same with less pedal input and a brake upgrade does this as well.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-05-2014).]

fierobill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobillSend a Private Message to fierobillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I put the S10 booster mod in my 88 3800SC/AT yesterday and took it out for a test drive on some back roads. Positively AWESOME! I couldn't keep the grin off my face. Braking effort was cut ~ in half which makes it much more responsive yet it was still easy to modulate. It will be much less distracting when braking during my Ax and HPDE road course events. The brakes worked very well before but I had to apply so much pressure that I couldn't modulate them very well at all. I couldn't effectively do a quick "touch" to slow the car entering a turn. Now I can and I predict it won't take long to adapt to the new braking feel. I've got an Ax event next weekend so that should be telling.

After my first HPDE road course event I decided not to do any more until I improved my brakes. This mod. was key in determining if I needed to go to bigger wheels/brakes to get me the braking that I think I need. Now I don't think I will need to go to the larger wheels/brakes which will keep my costs down (and acceleration up).

Core will be coming back to you shortly .... THANKS DAVE!

Bill
    Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Everyone who has done it has posted positive results about this mod. I did it, posted on page 8, and am still happy I did it. I put about 100 miles on my Fiero DAILY, four or five days a week. It gets used a lot!!

A few months ago, I decided that the stereo and brakes were the two worst things about my car. Since I was spending so much time in it, I knew I needed to address both problems. The bigger booster is all I did to change from listing my brakes as one of the two worst things on my car to eliminating brakes from the list completely. Again, let me say that I've been very happy with this mod and if I have another road worthy Fiero, I'll do it on that car as well.

For argument sake, let's say my original booster had a problem. It would need to be rebuilt or replaced. If you are going to pull it out anyway, why WOULDN'T you want to step up to a part that was at least as good as brand new OEM but likely much better?

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 07-05-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    This post have everything that one needs to know on doing the bigger brake booster conversion. I am considering it and bumping it up as the question of what, where, how and why still comes up.

------------------
    " THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
    "THE COLUSSUS"
    87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
    " ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
    Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I am having HD push rods made to bolt on to these Summit S-10 boosters. No longer will you need to remove and send your old booster out (saving time, money and a lot of hassle) and receive back a rebuilt booster that has been taken apart and how has used parts installed into it. No need to worry if it was assembled correctly etc. For a lower cost you will be able to order a "new" booster from Summit and install my banjo part. My banjo part will be 5/8" in diameter and heat treated. Simply screw on this banjo part to this Summit booster (I will even include a small bottle of Locktite) and the Summit booster is ready to install in your Fiero.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=350

Coming early next year. Thanks 85GT_3800SC for your efforts in finding a better big brake booster option.

Originally posted by 85GT_3800SC:

I have been watching this thread for a while now. What a great brake upgrade this is! Thanks to Phil for coming up with this idea and to his and everyone else’s posts that helped me complete my own booster installation. I did the upgrade last summer and the results are impressive. I have the Grand Am front brake upgrade with a 1994 full size Blazer master cylinder and stock rear brakes. Before installing the larger booster, I replaced all rotors (with slotted) and calipers, installed ss braided lines all around and new carbo-met brake pads. I would say the brakes were good with this much done, but with the booster upgrade, now they are great. Much less pedal effort! I am happy with the upgrade but like other members on the forum, I want to install a brand new unit for peace of mind. I was all set to buy one of Rodney’s ready-to-go boosters, but he has ended the larger booster project for some reason. This post is for those who are looking for more of a ready-made solution.

While looking for a new booster to modify, I came across this item from Summit racing.

It looked familiar so I went to the Tuff Stuff website for more info and found this

Both sites showed that these boosters would fit 1973 – 1993 GM trucks. That sure increases the number of boosters that might be available in wrecking yards! But I was looking for a new/rebuilt booster.

Well, long story short, since the booster looked like a match for the upgrade, I ordered one of these from Summit and it arrived yesterday. It is the exact same size booster as the one I used from a 96 s10 on my booster upgrade. Here is what it looks like:

The only differences are not bad ones. The pushrod is a whopping 5/8” diameter, is much longer than the s10 pushrod, and it has a 3/8”NC thread on the rod end.

The bolt patterns match and a new booster to master cylinder rod is included

The pushrod is closer to the correct length to fit the Fiero. An extension to the rod end is still required. My extension uses a lock washer, a 3/8” NC coupling nut, a homemade adapter bolt (coarse to fine thread),a jam nut and a rod end I had that was 3/8”NF thread (will likely need to drill the rod end 3/8” hole out to fit the brake pedal pin).

The mounting bracket that came with the new booster is unusable on the Fiero, and must be removed. Here’s the new booster with bracket removed and the pushrod all together.

I will be putting it in on the next “warmer” day we have here in the “Great White North”. I don’t foresee any problems but will report back after the install.
    While not directly plug and play like Rodney’s was going to be, I think this booster offers a rugged upgrade option with a minimal amount of work required. The cost of $125 from Summit does not require a core to be sent back.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
    All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
    Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
    7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
    Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Simply screw on this banjo part to this Summit booster (I will even include a small bottle of Locktite) and the Summit booster is ready to install in your Fiero.

Still need to swap over the mounting bracket from the Fiero booster I think?

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Still need to swap over the mounting bracket from the Fiero booster I think?

Yes. That is very easy to do. Grind or drill the rivet faces off your old booster and the mounting bracket comes off easily. Bolts right on the new booster. Maybe paint it first so it matches the paint on the new booster.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
    System Bot
    sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No longer will you need to remove and send your old booster out (saving time, money and a lot of hassle) and receive back a rebuilt booster that has been taken apart and how has used parts installed into it. No need to worry if it was assembled correctly etc.

Talk about misinformation, and you know it. The boosters I sell have all new parts inside it, the only parts not new is the metal shell and the Fiero rod.
    Worry if it was assembled correctly?.? Now who's taking the jabs at who, as you always accuse me of.?.?
    I bet I put the boosters through more tests than the manufacturers do, I inspect EVERY piece of the booster, something minimum wage assembly line workers don't have time/care to do. It's fine your selling an alternative product, but don't lie about mine.
    Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Talk about misinformation, and you know it. The boosters I sell have all new parts inside it, the only parts not new is the metal shell and the Fiero rod.

So some of the parts are used?

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
    Member since Feb 2000

, something minimum wage assembly line workers don't have time/care to do..

Sounds like a very good reason for everyone to not want to buy a rebuilt brake booster.

Good to know that all rebuilt brake boosters are rebuilt by minimum wage workers who do not care about the quality of the product they provide.

I think everyone that wants to do this should buy a "new" booster from Summit and install my banjo. Then you will have no worries about having a rebuilt booster that is rebuilt by minimum wage assembly line workers who don't care. Not my opinion. Just a logical deduction from the facts stated above.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    One measurement I'm interested in is the booster pushrod to M/C clearance.
    I haven't seen much mention of this in the forum.
    I'm thinking that this should be checked anytime a booster or M/C are replaced
    due to varying tolerances if nothing else.

------------------
    1984 Indy Fiero

ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ag9123

264 posts
    Member since Sep 2013
    The reason I mention it is because a buddy of mine recently upgraded his booster and M?C in his Trans Am
    using Summit parts and the clearance was almost 1/4 inch.
    Of course the brake pedal had way too much travel.
    once he adjusted it to .0015, much better.
    it made me think that bolting on new parts without checking the booster-M/C pushrod gap
    is leaving too much to chance.
    I bought a Kent Moore tool off of Ebay to check the clearance on my Indy.
    I'll report back with my findings this weekend.

Using the S10 Blazer M/C with the upgraded booster, GA brake mode front and rear, SS brake lines.
    ------------------
    1984 Indy Fiero

[This message has been edited by ag9123 (edited 11-11-2014).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like a very good reason for everyone to not want to buy a rebuilt brake booster.

Good to know that all rebuilt brake boosters are rebuilt by minimum wage workers who do not care about the quality of the product they provide.

I think everyone that wants to do this should buy a "new" booster from Summit and install my banjo. Then you will have no worries about having a rebuilt booster that is rebuilt by minimum wage assembly line workers who don't care. Not my opinion. Just a logical deduction from the facts stated above.

I never said rebuilt, I said manufacturers, funny how you twist words around for your own benefit.

If that is what you logically deduced from what I said, then you trully are a moron.

Or just a liar.
    tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
    Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Rodney, you're better than this.

Look, you both sell a product for our Fiero. Some people will buy from one of you, some from the other. Some will do their own. Some won't upgrade. You both sell a product that is good, and that you're proud of. I don't know about sales or problems, but apparently sardonyx has sold these for a while. Rodney has been working on the solution he wants.

There are used parts in my Fiero. Yep. And most of the used parts are original.

Each of your products has merit, but may be specifically chosen by different people. I'm sure either solution will work.

Thank you both for your contributions to the Fiero community and for being vendors.

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
    Thank you both for your contributions to the Fiero community and for being vendors.

agree!
    sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    To tshark and Grantman, thank you both.

A little history on the boosters, When I first read this, I jumped on it and tried it, it worked great, really great, I thought I could offer this to the rest of the Fiero community as all the Fieros we had, (thus tons of cores at the time) then rodney said he was going to start selling them, so I backed off and figured I would let him. Than after about a year or so he said he wasn't going to do it, so I decided to take it up and provide everyone with better brakes, I mean best brake upgrade out there. So I did, and have so for years. I have upgraded the quality over the years and provide the best that I can. It went from the first idea on here with the welded rod, then I got the equiment to disassemble the boosters and now I can swap in the correct rods. I stand behined my work. Now fighting with rodney on here over stupid s$%t, he has decided to take a jab at me financially, he has threatened me before with it. Now he is going ahead and doing it. IE the last fight we had was a couple of days ago and as of a couple of days ago he decided to start up this project again. Thus the financial jab. Everytime we fight he attacks my booster sales. (you can see it in my for sale thread) I'm done fighting, I just want to help the Fiero Community and be part of it.

Just puting the info out there.

I still plan on doing the boosters as long as Fiero owners want them.
    Peace

------------------
    "DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
    '84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
    '87 Quad 4 H.O.
    '87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
    ^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
    Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
    Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    This latest flap starts here:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070636.html

Read this topic then offer an opinion on who is going after who.

He jabs me, I have to fight back. Same old story with this guy. Again and again and again and again...............

I have asked him many times why he hates me. Never an answer.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
    System Bot
    Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
    Member since Feb 2000
    I see he removed the part in his first post where he claims some have ruined their engine blocks after using my 3.4 drill jig and replaced it with pictures of how he does it using a starter. This is why I quoted it so he could not completely remove it.

Those jigs have been known to ruin blocks. they are made one time use only and get worse every time they are used.
    Again they can ruin your block, IE it can drill the starter too far away, then the block is trash.
    Just use a starter as a guide to drill the holes.

sardonyx247 why did you remove that paragraph above and replace it with a picture tutorial of how to use a starter to drill a 3.4 block?

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
    Member since Feb 2000

Everytime we fight he attacks my booster sales. (you can see it in my for sale thread) I'm done fighting, I just want to help the Fiero Community and be part of it.

We fight because you jab me and I fight back. Stop jabbing me and I'll stop fighting back. What a simple solution. All these "fights" start with one of your jabs against me.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
    Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, who started it, or placing blame anywhere.

Rodney, you have nothing to prove. You're Rodney Dickman. There is no reason for a war here.

You know, I got my tires rotated and balanced, the other day (not on my Fiero), and a wheel bearing went out the next day. MUST have been the fault of the rotate/balance shop! Or, it could have been the fact that the vehicle has 300K miles on it, and had been hit on that side. Seriously, things happen.

If there is an isolated incident with a vendor's product, I would hope that we could take it to that vendor, and the issue would be addressed. Since people aren't chiming in against either product, apparently there isn't an issue with either vendor's product. Certainly, those of us who aren't vendors are quick to complain, myself included. If a vendor's product/service has issues, the situation will resolve itself.

I don't like threads to degrade into flame wars. People read these threads for help and community. I haven't met either of you, yet, but everyone off the forum I have met has been decent. I'm sure you both are, also. PFF may be the only experience some people have with Fiero people. Do we want them to see flame wars, personal attacks, and general negativity?

You each sell a product that you stand behind and believe is the best. Thank God for that! You've both invested time and money into your product, and I sincerely hope you will both be amicable competitors, as well as friendly forum members far into the future.

And while I'm at it, I don't have everything I need for my Fiero. Too many vendors are gone, and I'm sure you've both been around long enough to benefit from the products those vendors offered. I don't yet have the booster, either. If we can't get the answers to questions some have asked, I may not get it. I'm not good at staying away from confrontation, but the productive posts seem to have ceased on this thread, and members may stop reading this thread. This is bad for both of you. Apparently, this has spilled over from other threads. How many more will there be?
    sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    rodney if you read the jig thread I say why I changed the post, I couldn't find the thread I was looking for, that I read before, so I acted like a man and took it back.
    The only constant question you have asked me is "are you Cris West's son"

tshark, there is probably no more info in this thread as it is 9 pages long, what more is there to add.
    Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How many more will there be?

Again:

We fight because you jab me and I fight back. Stop jabbing me and I'll stop fighting back. What a simple solution. All these "fights" start with one of your jabs against me.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Here is a topic for debate (not a jab but a debate)

rodney you said before in this thread

But you still have to do the cut and weld on the banjo. I would not trust that in my 88 Mera!!

If you would not trust a welded banjo in your mera, why would you expect anyone else trust a screw on rod?
    Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a topic for debate (not a jab but a debate)

rodney you said before in this thread

If you would not trust a welded banjo in your mera, why would you expect anyone else trust a screw on rod?

Way more than installing a booster rebuilt by minimum wage assembly line workers who don't care, taken apart by a backyard bozo mechanic and reassembled with some used parts.

Not a jab, just the facts.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Zefyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZefyrSend a Private Message to ZefyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Wow dickman, you really are living up to your name. All respect for you, not saying I had much for you to begin with over my past dealings with you, is gone. You do bring valuable info to the forum, but this is getting out of hand. I have been a part of the Las Vegas Fiero Club for almost 10 years, and we are not a bunch of 'bozo backyard mechanics'. We build quality and spend a lot of time taking care of the details so many others fail to when building cars. I personally find your antics to resemble those of a 2 year old losing an argument. Making a profit from your ingenuity is one thing, but you go far beyond that with many of your 'products'. You lived up to your name when I tried to work with you in the past, and it is sad to see that you have gone above and beyond again.

[This message has been edited by Zefyr (edited 11-13-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I'm sorry. I did not know there were two sardonyx247's here.

------------------
    Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
    Caledonia, WI 53108
    Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
    next newest topic | next oldest topic