$100 brake upgrade by Phil
Started on: 04-04-2006 08:37 AM
Replies: 426 (57146 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 09-13-2023 08:09 AM
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney I would prob buy this kit from you. I don't mind the body work at all if its not much IE can be done without power tools or in under an hour. If its not a decent improvement though I think a lot of people wont want to bother. Keep us posted on this.
IP: Logged
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd also prefer the larger booster even if it means a slight bit of hammering.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Click For Live Help!

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got totally lost by the bottom of the first page...You guys are nuts, lol! (In a good way).

I'll have to wade through this sometime when I don't already have a migraine to see if it panned out as a good mod or not...
It sounded good to me, but then you guys started in with all the math, lol!

Either way, thanks for trying, I hope it went well!

------------------
~Michael

Project IMSA Formula Coming Soon!
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!! - "Your mileage may vary."

BobadooFunk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another upgrade to add to my list as well (should help the soft pedal feeling of the grand am upgrade..)
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for people who have not seen.
Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get this kind of booster and you're done. Good use for PS pump in swapped fieros

G20 van '89 if I remember correctly.
ambfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2008 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney I would prob buy this kit from you as well. I wouldnt mind doing the body work as long as it doesnt look to bad once the booster is back in place.

------------------
In loving memory of Harold Hummel (PFF 4WHEEL)
1936-2004

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the photos?

------------------
FierOmar

linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so rodney are you going to make it?
skstibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skstibiSend a Private Message to skstibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After seeing this, my sister might want to keep me away from her truck..
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update on this upgrade?

------------------
FierOmar

PFF
System Bot
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did this mod to my 86gt automatic. A world of difference after the mod. Picked up a 96 S-10 blazer booster from a local wrecking yard for $40. Spent roughly $4 on fasteners. Very good upgrade for less than $50.
Brian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrianSend a Private Message to BrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I completed this swap a few days ago & have test driven the brakes for quite a few miles now.
This is one wise investment. There's a noticable difference in braking power!

Now fer the downside, sorta.......

What hasn't been said is that one of those studs on the booster lines up well enough
with the stud on the firewall to make it impossible to get even a 1/4" universal in there.
The added diameter of the booster doesn't help with the universal either.
My hands were to big to get in there to even start the nut.
I couldn't even get my stubby wrench in there.

For anyone who might have given up on that one stud & only installed 3 nuts out of four, there is a way.

The solution for me was to unbolt the wiper motor & pivot it up out of the way (linkage stays connected).
This gave me enough access from the top to get that fourth nut on the firewall stud.

It never seems to fail for me, there's always one nut or bolt that just won't cooperate<g>

brian99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brian99Send a Private Message to brian99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those of you that were thinking of doing the conversion I am posting the interchange for the 1997 S-10 brake power booster to make it easier if you are going to a salvage yard for the booster.

These are the models and years of GM vehicles that will work:
1. 1995-1998 Chevrolet S10
2. 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Bravada
3. 1995-1997 GMC Jimmy
4. 1996-1997 Isuzu Hombre
5. 1995-1997 Chevrolet Blazer
6. 1995-1997 GMC Sonoma

This site will give you the exact vehicle and VIN no. to look for: http://tinyurl.com/6mnffg
Do a search for: A15471061
And it will turn up the specifics on the 6 vehicles

E.G., For the listing for the S-10::
1995-1995: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "Z" Base
1995-1995: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "Z" LS
1995-1995: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "Z" SS
1995-1995: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "Z" ZR2
1995-1997: 4Cyl 2.2L "Gas, FI, VIN "4" Base
1995-1997: 4Cyl 2.2L "Gas, FI, VIN "4" LS
1995-1997: 4Cyl 2.2L "Gas, FI, VIN "4" SS
1995-1997: 4Cyl 2.2L "Gas, FI, VIN "4" ZR2
1995-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "W" Base
1995-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "W" LS
1995-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "W" SS
1995-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "W" ZR2
1996-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "X" LS
1996-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "X" SS
1996-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "X" ZR2
1997-1997: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, VIN "X" Base
1997-1998: ElectrCyl ElectrL "Electric, VIN "H" Base

It could save you some money since the rebuilt price seems to be about $100 and here in Minnesota at my local U-Pull-R-Parts lot the boosters go for only $6.00!

BRIAN
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any reason this upgrade wouldn't work with other modenr brake boosters, other than the S10 -- assuming whatever donor you use that the various bolts line up and the rod can be modified to work?
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

here's the pedal rod extension kit from jegs, # 908-4750 http://www.jegs.com/webapp/...0001_10002_130450_-1

Here's one from Summit, # SUM-760125 http://store.summitracing.c...855+115&autoview=sku

Hope this helps . NICE work Phil ....

So can these be used? If so what length?
Edit: moved my comment out of the quote
------------------
My Car Site
www.flexyourrights.com
Just say NO!! to Automatic Transmissions!!

[This message has been edited by Primaris (edited 01-15-2009).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those kits were made to adjust the length of the rod. i found and posted them just for the guys who didn't wanna weld, but can't tell you if they will actually work with this mod. i had mine welded as shown above and it works fine. Just be aware that too much heat being transferred to the internals of the booster is NOT a good thing
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone who has installed this had the 12" Brakes on the car? Is it workable with that upgrade as well? Or does it turn it into like the old mid 60's Fords with power brakes?

Thanks,

Mike
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have to ask, these boosters, if they are sat back about an inch or so, would body work still be required? maybe like a spacer block, and a little bit longer rod, to reduce the need for the BFH, i havent realy looked into it too much, but it seems like that might work imo...
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I need the master cylinder from S10 as well? Or just the booster?
PFF
System Bot
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just the booster.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, got one today. Hope I got the right one. Will post again when done.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the upgrade today but there is something wrong.
The pedal is almost 100% stiff. And the brake force is not good.
I used the Booster from a S10 -98. 2 wheel drive 4 Cyl. 2,2
I cut of the arm from a Fiero booster and welded it with the S10 booster. (24.8cm)
Should I have changed the pin coming out from the booster with the Fiero pin? (The one pushing the master cylinder)
I did fill up a little brake fluid in the mastercylinder after the upgrade but that should not be the problem.
Someone knows where to start looking?

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 08-31-2009).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect your patch on the banjo arm is the culprit. I got the Rodney Dickman adjustable banjo for mine and it works pretty much perfect.

If the pedal is 100% stiff the arm may be bottomed out in the Master Cylinder. You can check this by unhooking the master cylinder from the fire wall and see if the plunger comes out.

Arn
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will try that and get back with the result.
CopperBender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CopperBenderSend a Private Message to CopperBenderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would anyone in their right mind want to go to a wrecking yard to buy such critical safety items as brake boosters? The only reason I can even remotely think of is to use the item as a core when buying a new item. You just can't put a price on safety. Cheaping out is a good way to kill yourself or someone else.

Also, why use an S-10 or any booster requiring you to hammer on the car? Get a NEW dual diaphragm booster for the same or less than a used one and even get it chrome plated! A 8" dual diaphragm unit offers the same boost as a single 10" unit. No beating the hell out of your car! What a concept!

Check these guys out. I've used their products for several years and have never had a single problem.
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/boosters.html

Drive and drive often but always drive safe.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used parts from a Fierobooster that I had laying arround. So I still have the one from my car intact. But I think its a great upgrade for a small amount of work and money.
If you use the one you are talking about CopperBender. Will the Fiero brakecylinder work and so on? Or will you have to upgrade the hole system?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I didn't see this before.

Time to plan a trip to the junk yard!
rudytj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rudytjSend a Private Message to rudytjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on another forum i belong to (jeeps) they have been replacing the old single diaphram vac booster with a dual diaphram from a newer jeep.
They are running into the same issue with the rod to the peddle being the wrong length. they are using this company to rebuild/replace the rod

http://www.precisionrebuilders.com

in an old forum post it was only $20 to have it done correctly rather than hacking and hoping it works

rudytj
85 2m4

[This message has been edited by rudytj (edited 09-30-2009).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm working on this. I should be able to get these larger boosters made with the correct mounting bracket and the correct banjo on them. I am looking to see if a slightly smaller booster is available that may be a direct interchange so no body work needs to be done. I am working with an automotive brake booster manufacturer. This will take a fairly long time to get this done. Maybe by the beginning of next year. We'll see.

Seeking input on the body work part. Would you prefer a booster that directly interchanges and needs no body work but the braking effects gains are not as much as the larger booster that requires body work to make fit? Possibly if I find one that is around 10 inches in diameter and requires no body work I can offer both variations.

I have made some progress on this. Still will take some time but I may be successful yet. Will take some time yet. Maybe if I am lucky by mid summer 2010.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney - Keep us updated, I would like to buy 2 from you if you are still planning on this in the near future.

------------------
Scott

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump..

I Amd in the process of doing this now.

I got as far as welding the two rods together with a heavy spacer and painting the 97 s10 booster......And then it got too dark to see.
Hopefully i can get it all buttoned up tomrrow before the family starts coming over and bugging me

Did you guys reuse the fiero master cylinder side push pin/rod or use the one that came in the s10 booster?

Wish me luck!
exoticmotorsportscom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticmotorsportscomClick Here to visit exoticmotorsportscom's HomePageSend a Private Message to exoticmotorsportscomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone try using the Dodge Viper set up.
Booster and and all?

www.exoticmotorsports.com

------------------

customwheels@exoticmotorsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ExoticMotorSports.com

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I've been researching this upgrade for my sisters car, and from what I can tell, the S10 booster (AC Delco 178-621), is a Double Diaphragm booster. This would certainly explain the gain in braking assist.

I'm going to the J/Y tomorrow to pick up one of these boosters and I'll try to post some pictures in here once I make some progress.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

bump..

I Amd in the process of doing this now.

I got as far as welding the two rods together with a heavy spacer and painting the 97 s10 booster......And then it got too dark to see.
Hopefully i can get it all buttoned up tomrrow before the family starts coming over and bugging me

Did you guys reuse the fiero master cylinder side push pin/rod or use the one that came in the s10 booster?

Wish me luck!

Use the pin from the new S-10 booster.
The old one from the Fiero OEM booster is different on the internal end.
Old Fiero pin on right, S-10 pin on left:

I measured the protrusion length of both the OEM pin and the S-10 pin to the master cylinder mounting surface.
They both measured the same. (Note that the OEM booster has a recessed mounting surface for the M/C, the mounting surface on the new S-10 booster is not recessed.)

Instead of sleeving and welding the rods together I chose to thread them so I would have some adjustment when installing.
The OEM rod measures 0.354 diameter and the S-10 rod measures 0.364 diameter.
This is close enough to the major diameter for 3/8-16 thread, leaving the thread crest a little truncated, but not enough to seriously diminish the thread strength.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-13-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13815 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Threading the rods to 3/8-16 allowed me to use some off-the-shelf parts from Lowes:

After carefully measuring what I needed for the assembled length, plus allowance for adjustments, I cut the OEM rod length to approx. 4.312 from the center of the eye to the end and threaded it a little over 1.50 inches

The S-10 booster rod was threaded about 1.25 inches.

The assembled rods:

The jam nut and coupling nut was threaded down all the way on the S-10 booster rod threads and set with Loctite.
After installing the booster in the car, the OEM rod was adjusted to the perfect length, attached to the brake pedal and the jam nut secured to the coupling nut with Loctite thread locker. The whole rod assembly is very secure with plenty of thread engagement, (>3X thread diameter of both rods).

So far I'm pretty happy with the improvement in braking.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-09-2010).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately this upgrade did not work for me.
I had a hard brake pedal and assumed my stock Booster had shot craps.

I did the swap but I still have the hard pedal.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I ended up getting a 4WD booster. Its not the one labeled as PP as shown above, mine is labeled SU. Its not the one that I wanted, but it was easy to get to so I'm gonna try it.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this upgrade with the 4WD booster tonight, and unfortunately, I can't say there was much improvement. I forgot my camera so I don't have any more pictures to add to this thread. The swap was really easy and straight forward, its too bad I got the 4wd unit.

When you first touch the brakes, it feels like there is more initial 'bite' but anything more than a quick tap of the brakes is pretty much unchanged. This was done on an 86 with stock everything else.

Hopefully I can do this to another car and use the correct 2wd booster to see if there is more improvement.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock