Repair manual by Lilchief
Started on: 03-13-2020 09:27 PM
Replies: 8 (398 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 03-15-2020 10:43 AM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the best repair manual for working on an 88 coupe. Might help me not asking so many questions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...0:g:FboAAOSwezVWvAlB

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry but Any FSM is Not "the best" manual for most DIY or even many "Pros" because can't read them. That's including most GM dealer service dept. That's ignoring big errors and more because "Authors" copy/past a lot of data from other models w/o checking the data is right. Many TSB's fixes some errors but often errors are never fix.

Example: read //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/138175.html#p1 In short O & P bulbs are never listed in any FSM or TSB.

I've read Many GM FSM and others For Decades and still have to deal how hard they are to read them.
FSM is good but reading it is hard to very hard to many and impossible to others. Again, even Dealer service people often won't read them because too hard and takes too much time to decipher many pages.

Can get one but don't think will have all the answers in easy to read text.

AllDataDIY gets data from GM and have same errors and most wont bother w/ TSB database there because of very poorly written. Worse is hard to find many things on the site because AD putts data in weird places so don't expect looking in one spot.

Crap Haynes and Chilton books have big problems too and often missing important data.
Worse paraphrase etc FSM to get around GM © to publish the books often have more errors because source data is wrong to start with.
Example: Haynes has 88 engine balancer but ignore 700 series TBI or DIS and even says L4 doesn't use a MAT sensor makes it worthless for 87-88 L4.

Is a big part of Why I wrote my Cave like My Cave has 700 TBI and DIS plus has sort story how to read FSM electrical data. Other big part was to be a FAQ for PFF before CP caved and made "FAQs & HowTos" section years later.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The FSM is much better than Haynes or Chilton's.

The FSM is more difficult to read than a comic book, and there is also the fact that most people who were supposed to read them are professional mechanics and are experienced.

I have several FSM, use them all of the time. They are invaluable.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The FSM is much better than Haynes or Chilton's.

The FSM is more difficult to read than a comic book, and there is also the fact that most people who were supposed to read them are professional mechanics and are experienced.

I have several FSM, use them all of the time. They are invaluable.

The '84 to '88 parts catalogue it also helpful; it has lots of useful diagrams and helps with parts interchangeability. (It's also not 100% accurate.)
FSMs include info on how systems are intended to operate; sometimes using descriptions and illustrations that aren't specific to the car. It's still educational and can help your analyses and deliberations.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory Service Manuals are a very good starting point.

At least you aren't working completely in the dark if you have one to refer to.
Or trying to fix something with unclear "half answers" from someone who may "remember wrong".

Yes, sometimes the manuals are hard to understand, but you can ask here for clarification.
Almost anything you need to fix, someone here has already done it and can point you to a thread if needed.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-14-2020).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask the questions anyway, helps everybody!

Factory Service Manual is a great reference. There are downloadable versions out there to be had.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a lot of Haynes/Chilton manuals on the shelf... probably haven't opened any of then in 15+ years.

My 88 FSM is the go to for info. I also use its blanks pages to record other information not in the FSM (like stock engine placement). I also buy the FSM for any OBD2 engine swap for the detailed electrical information (ecm pin outs, connector pin details, trouble shooting guides, etc.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First- The FSM is a good starting point but yes, it has some mistakes so be careful and if you read something that sounds suspect, come online to Fiero forum and ask...

I believe it would be helpful if we started a thread on here that listed any mistakes we find in the GM Manuals. When I was working as an electrician on the S-3 Viking Rework line at NAS Alameda, I found numerous mistakes in the Lockheed manuals- One of my co-workers freaked out when I took a red pen and corrected a mistake in the book; "You are supposed to submit a manual-correction form!" But I stated, "This mistake has been costing us a lot of time- we need it corrected NOW! And I am going to also send in the correction form!"

That mistake was in the schematic for the nose wheel steering system- we kept burning up amplifiers in Final Shop.

The early Haynes manual is pretty good. but the later ones with the 1988 info are poor- and, tho they include the 88 brakes and FRONT suspension, they have absolutely nothing on the 88 rear suspension- Really idiotic.

I won't touch the Chilton's; Had one for my 76 mustang (Horrible car) and it stated "Remove wire, then two bolts, then starter" OK...Up until "Remove starter" You had to either jack the engine up or pull the rack & pinion to get the starter out......Drunk Chimps! (Both Ford and Chilton writers)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock