Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New PFF features - I've been busy! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New PFF features - I've been busy! by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 12-01-2019 03:03 AM
Replies: 139 (3297 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 01-20-2020 09:56 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working very hard these last few weeks implementing some very needed features for PFF. First of all, PFF now has a functional "mobile" mode. Visit PFF on a mobile phone and you'll see... 😉

Not everything is working yet and I haven't tested a lot of phones yet but on my android phone, it works perfect. In fact, I'm writing this on my mobile phone right now! 😊

You'll notice the look and feel on a mobile phone is, in some places, quite different than on a desktop. Also, most hardly used features are hidden on the mobile version to keep the interface as clean as possible.

Another highly anticipated feature is image posting! You can now finally post pictures directly through PFF! 🎊🎊✨🎈👍👍🎉🎉

If you post or edit a message, you'll notice an "Upload Image" button (on desktop) or camera icon (on mobile). Pressing/tapping that enables you to upload images and insert them in your post. The system keeps track of who uploads which image, so if you try to upload an image you've uploaded before, the system will notify you and offer you the option to overwrite the existing image or not.

On a mobile phone, you can even upload photos directly from your camera!

Posted images are automatically resized so they won't be gigantic in size or take up tons of disk space. Also, images are always sized on screen as well so they will always fit on the screen.

Lastly, some small bugs were fixed.

Oh, and one thing that comes with mobiles: emojis! 😄😁😱🙈🙈🙈

Love'm or hate'm...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh the downside on mobile phones: auto correct... So expect to see a lot more weird texts in posts... 👀
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99
Tip #1: If you are wondering how to get back to the main forum page on the mobile version, just tap the PFF banner at the top of the page. 👆

Tip #2: Missing a feature on the mobile version that you know is there on the desktop version? Just rotate your phone to landscape orientation and PFF will automatically switch to desktop mode.

Tip #3: If you want to "reply with quote" on the mobile version, just tap the message you want to reply to.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Another highly anticipated feature is image posting! You can now finally post pictures directly through PFF!

Posted images are automatically resized so they won't be gigantic in size or take up tons of disk space. Also, images are always sized on screen as well so they will always fit on the screen.

Testing...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[EDIT] That's great, although I see that it'll still be beneficial to upload images that are less than 300 kb in size (to avoid the need to click an icon). Thanks Cliff.
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you cliff.

As someone with only tellingbone access this makes a massive difference.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Testing...

[EDIT] That's great, although I see that it'll still be beneficial to upload images that are less than 300 kb in size (to avoid the need to click an icon). Thanks Cliff.

I will be removing increasing that limit soon.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will be removing that limit soon.

Excellent!

I will be removing increasing that limit soon.

Almost as excellent.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2019).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There will still be a limit, but much higher than it is now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh the downside on mobile phones: auto correct... So expect to see a lot more weird texts in posts...

Originally posted by PK:

As someone with only tellingbone access this makes a massive difference.

Geez, that didn't take very long.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed the upload image icon box before reading this thread.
It is quick and easy!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff!
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed the changes the other day. I always view the forum on my iPhone. The changes are great!
Quadfather

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test

Works with my Galaxy S8.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 12-01-2019).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quadfather

422 posts
Member since Sep 2019
I love this. I know I will be posting a lot more photos now. Thanks, Cliff!

EDIT: Just now noticed that each post I created with my phone automatically included my actual name, too.

exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps I missed it but it would be convenient to have a "New Posts" or "Posts Since Last Visit" button somewhere on the main forum page.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not too computer literate, but I have not been able to get images to show up. I click the Image post button, my images show up on a separate screen. I click on the appropriate image and hit the open button, Nothing posts. Where should it show, Not in the space next to the written message or in the preview area. That is as far as I can get. Didn't work for me last night, and doesn't work this morning either. I am sure I am missing something simple.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff
Saw the image button over in OT and popped in to say hello

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can finally post pics........Instead of asking for help (And I fixed computers at Atari in 1982- but the programming stuff is foreign language to me)
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Noticed the changes the other day. I always view the forum on my iPhone. The changes are great!

Same here. I knew something was "off" when I was viewing on my phone, but didn't know to what extent.

Nice job Cliff!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quadfather:

EDIT: Just now noticed that each post I created with my phone automatically included my actual name, too.

???

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The mobile version actually displays less information... And it certainly doesn't show information it doesn't know...
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by bjc 350:

I'm not too computer literate, but I have not been able to get images to show up. I click the Image post button,

You mean the "Upload Image" button?

my images show up on a separate screen.

Yes, that would be your "explorer" window.

I click on the appropriate image and hit the open button, Nothing posts. Where should it show, Not in the space next to the written message or in the preview area.

First, you sould get a popup message saying "image uploaded". Next, you should see a special "code" appear in your message. That code will later be translated to the actual image. If you click the "Preview" button, the image should show up. If none of the above happens, it could be that you are trying to upload something other than the supported image formats - which are JPG, PNG and GIF.
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes upload image button gets me to the images I want to post. I open the image, but nothing happens from there. No code in the text I type, or nothing in the preview page. I will check a bit later to see what format these images are in, but they worked fine with PIP. Busy now, but will get to it later today. Thanks again for the reply.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work as always, Cliff.

I’d like to make a suggestion for a future feature. Most forums have some way to jump to the latest post. Is this possible to implement?

Test

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 12-01-2019).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Test

Works with my Galaxy S8.

A man can never own too many hammers or too many jacks.......
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another highly anticipated feature is image posting! You can now finally post pictures directly through PFF!

Oh, and one thing that comes with mobiles: emojis! 😄😁😱🙈🙈🙈
Don't worry, someone will soon stay "Upload Image" button won't work not matter what you do to fix it.

Still haven't fix HTML version and charset on normal PFF pages causing some "illegal" characters and other issues on some posts.
I believe PFF is still some type of HTML 4 but pages Doesn't have Doctype declarations etc saying so and most browsers now try to default render as HTML5 w/ UTF-8 but barfs on some items.

Emojis❓ New❓ Already happened here unless got an "illegal Character" mark as above and more so w/ FF and others Win PC supporting them this year w/ Emoji Library etc. to put them into posts and other things. I use them rarely but other will and a lot...
Even "old" IE11 tries to display many emojis.

Plus most browsers and PFF supports most HTML Special Characters for years but few uses them. I use them to get degree as °, Ω, etc. plus my keyboard allows macros to make them faster to use. More Confusing, some can use names or numbers to use them here even tho many have both in the list.

Side note: Many HTML Special Characters pages now have change to whatever Emojis have the same Unicode number/character. 4 moon symbols are now moon smiles. Others are "illegal" even w/ correct DocType and charset on the that page in some browsers.

(Illegal character symbol displays different on browser used... This between quotes "�" often see Diamond ? on FF Chrome and others or same symbol but as an Empty Square in IE in some PFF posts. Or sometimes might see a square w/ very small hex numbers in all browsers to show number for a missing character for a given font.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

A man can never own too many hammers or too many jacks.......

Amen.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quadfather

422 posts
Member since Sep 2019
I posted twice this morning then was away from the internet for a while. When I checked this thread again, both my posts had a line of dashes with my real name underneath. I edited the posts to remove them, but it's not a big deal. Just wanted you to know. Perhaps I'm checking a box I shouldn't.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quadfather

422 posts
Member since Sep 2019

Here's another test.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I posted twice this morning then was away from the internet for a while. When I checked this thread again, both my posts had a line of dashes with my real name underneath.

I think you hit the "Show signature" checkbox.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by fierobear:

I’d like to make a suggestion for a future feature. Most forums have some way to jump to the latest post. Is this possible to implement?

I hope that's what you meant, but I've implemented two very faintarrows at the top right and bottom right of the screen. Tapping thos takes you to the top and bottom of the screen.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think so. This morning when I posted I couldn’t tell what those two boxes were; there was no description with them. When I posted tonight, the boxes had descriptions, so I didn’t check them.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I checked this thread again, both my posts had a line of dashes with my real name underneath.

Quadfather, your signature will only include (if you tick the box) what you asked it to. (Yes, you typed in whatever it is at some point.) Go into your Profile and edit/remove your real name from your signature if you now don't wish for it to ever appear.

I don't normally use a signature (as nobody wishes to see anybody else's narcissistic signature, especially overly large ones, over and over again), but this is what shows up if I do...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2019).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quadfather, your signature will only include (if you tick the box) what you asked it to. (Yes, you typed in whatever it is at some point.) Go into your Profile and edit/remove your real name from your signature if you now don't wish for it to ever appear.

I don't normally use a signature (as nobody wishes to see anybody else's narcissistic signature, especially overly large ones, over and over again), but this is what shows up if I do...

Oh, I did that before I posted again. I don’t remember typing my name in there in the first place, but who else would have done it?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Testing...

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small ask... any chance we could do https? Letsencrypt would work since it's free.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does UI button have your history for you to see?
A good feature is PIP history so I don't have to deal w/ UL same picture each time I need it.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Appears my Ad blocker was preventing the uploading of images. I was seeing a completely different screen than the normal one we are used to. Strange, but now it works.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

…..

Another highly anticipated feature is image posting! You can now finally post pictures directly through PFF! 🎊🎊✨🎈👍👍🎉🎉

On a mobile phone, you can even upload photos directly from your camera!

This is awesome!

So will the uploader rezise any size pic, so that it uploads as an image and not an icon, and fits on screen without stretching text off of a monitor? That will be key.

Most images posted so far in this thread are too big for the screen.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-02-2019).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Does UI button have your history for you to see?
A good feature is PIP history so I don't have to deal w/ UL same picture each time I need it.

Not yet. But if you try to upload an image that you already uploaded earlier, it will warn you before actually uploading it.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Small ask... any chance we could do https? Letsencrypt would work since it's free.

Working on it
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock