Any Interest in a Fiero LED Kit? by copperhens
Started on: 10-23-2019 10:36 AM
Replies: 12 (742 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-23-2020 09:50 PM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done a lot with LEDs and my Fieros. I have seen interest from people, but i’m curious how many of you guys would actually want to buy them.

The price will vary. There could be a full interior kit, or just bits a pieces. Some people say to not put LEDs in the warning lights, so that could be one thing people could choose not to include.

For kits, price could be from $60-$100. It depends on the Fiero because even an automatic vs manual has different bulbs in it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extremely interested!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you be offering something custom/special that can't already be purchased from a LED vendor such as:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
Would you be offering something custom/special that can't already be purchased from a LED vendor such as:
superbrightleds.com
They buy from them or buy any crap from Ebay et al because that's often cheap. Many people buy any hype product or don't care LED replacements often don't work right, often die very soon for many reasons and are illegal in many places. If stopped for crap "upgrades," many whine to FB YT etc claiming they did nothing wrong and cops hate them or worse.

Plus we already had fly by night "businesses" that got many suckers to buy illegal crap to "upgrade" Fiero lights. Face It... TLA/BTR was only a "Friend of Fiero" only to get suckers money.
Plus have TFS Sylvania and Thousands of others selling illegal lights and/or LED while often hind behind "Check local laws" or "Off Road Use Only" BS. I can go to AZ and many others to get Sylvania, Pilot and other LED w/ off road label today to replace my taillights if I don't bother is illegal.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
superbrightleds.com
They buy from them or buy any crap from Ebay et al because that's often cheap. Many people buy any hype product or don't care LED replacements often don't work right, often die very soon for many reasons and are illegal in many places. If stopped for crap "upgrades," many whine to FB YT etc claiming they did nothing wrong and cops hate them or worse.

Plus we already had fly by night "businesses" that got many suckers to buy illegal crap to "upgrade" Fiero lights. Face It... TLA/BTR was only a "Friend of Fiero" only to get suckers money.
Plus have TFS Sylvania and Thousands of others selling illegal lights and/or LED while often hind behind "Check local laws" or "Off Road Use Only" BS. I can go to AZ and many others to get Sylvania, Pilot and other LED w/ off road label today to replace my taillights if I don't bother is illegal.

[/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about interior lighting, not exterior. Are there "laws" on interior lighting?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
I think he is talking about interior lighting, not exterior. Are there "laws" on interior lighting?
Likely is but most cops don't care unless the Dome Light is on when driving. That can get you stopped in most places.

Many think using bright bulbs/LED in the dash solves problems... often is way wrong and may hind the real problem(s) for a while.

Ignoring legal most put way too bright lights, bulbs or LED, in a dash and other things. Or even OE dome light on driving around is bad. Because they cause "Light Pollution" in the car so harder to see outside and claim can't see something/someone they hit often w/ fatal results. Even when cops don't care, Lawyers suing you can love you have bright lights in a car.

Most ignore it but OE dimmer is there to adjust fash lights for driving in different areas. Example: Out of areas w/ street lights, signs, etc. flooding the whole area w/ light... you should have the dimmer barely lighting up the dash to see outside. You find how big a different that makes when you have Deer and People near or on the road at night. Often only see the animals eyes reflecting as run across roads in many places and not just "in the county" either.

Most "car" LED won't work right or at all w/ Fiero type dash dimmer. Unless you change dimer circuit most can't dim at all like normal bulbs. Some might work w/ OE dimmer but have a very small window between off and on.
"Dim able" LED for home use often don't work w/ many 120/240vac dimmers either. Many have fine print they only work w/ only a very few types.

OE dash lights are too bright at full power in most cars not just Fiero.
If you have dim lights at full up on the dimmer knob then something is wrong, likely more then one at same time. 3 big common ones:
10+ year old cars often have a lot of dirt coating dash guts. Even minor Dirt buildup affects light output bouncing around etc and fake dim the gauges.
Dimmer might have problems.
Bulbs/sockets have problems.
See my Cave, Dash Dimmer and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/138175.html#p4

Dash dimmers are connected to other lights besides the dash like Auto Shifter light and all OE radios. Gauge Pod back light for GT is too I think.

Alt needs resistance from 194 bulb to run. LED there Alt often won't turn on or can kill the regulator depending alt type and LED used.
other warning etc lights can cause light pollution and dazzle problems when have bright bulbs/leds.
Many hated blue high beam light because was way too bright first installed in 1970's. Most "Idiot Lights" are "dim" because the plastic is made that way, not the Bulb gets less power.
Bright Green Arrow on dash can Dazzle/"Flash Blind" a driver like High beam HL or Amber Turn lights from other drivers on dark roads.

Bright lights in other places are not a problem while driving because should be off.
Side note: Many claim Foot Lights are dim... Is old bulb or because many have wrong bulbs using 194. Right bulb is 168 and is noticeable brighter. Many replace w/ 194 because same size/shape but never look in "catalogs" at part store etc.

On top of those issues...
LED "Lifetime" for car and other uses are outright lies most times.
Very good brands like Cree often don't last as advertise. Parts in them break for many reasons often because made to meet RoHS w/ lead free solder etc. Other problem is counterfeit/cheap parts including LED themselves that's very poorly made.

Plus Most LED replacements for OE bulbs simple can't handle very dirty power in most cars not just old cars. Dash gauges and standard meters doesn't display E noise and power surges.
Is why many Trucklite and other OEM LED units have builtin surge protection and even they have problems even when installed at Oshkosh and truck factories.
OEM car units have same problems but worse way more expensive to fix because single part fits only one model for a few years. I see many Toyota Prius and others w/ partly to totally dead LED taillights.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like my dash light on high - always have. lol
George P Wood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Mickey-Moose.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I would be doing is plug and play. Nothing too fancy, and it would be limited to just the interior, side markers and “Pontiac” for GTs. The LEDs I have used I’ve never had an issue with dimming. But also my whole car is not LED, which could make a difference.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Automoda Formula is LED inside and out .... all home made too....you can check my sale thread... the link is under my siggy..

Danyel

------------------

My PFF Store
Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-28-2019).]

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here was a draft I had in mind.

Each Fiero has a different number of bulbs. So there are a variety of ‘kits’, so make sure you choose the correct one. It is hard to make one full kit because of this. These are all “plug and play”, besides a couple of exceptions that will be noted. Bulbs also just come in white, unless otherwise noted. This list can be updated to include more options.

Fiero Interior Light Kits:
Dash(does not include warning lights):
85mph speedo: $14 Change color to orange +$10
120mph speedo: $15 (includes bulbs for voltage and oil pressure) Change color to orange +$9.50

Flood Lights:
$4 Change to orange +$3

Ash Trays:
$6

Automatic Gear Indicator:
$3

Heater Control:
$3

PFF
System Bot
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an update on this, recently pulled most of my interior and noticed that my shift light is dead (did it ever work really?) and figured might as well LED up a decent amount of it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of people never seen a light w/ auto shifter because console Shifter and ashtrays have very small bulbs and often have problems beside dead bulb.

Because of bulb size and shape and socket design can cook the socket over decades of use.
Likely will try to break them getting bulbs out because even not cook completely often very stuck. Try wrapping bulb w/ tape then carefully pull w/ small pliers.
See my Cave, Lighbulbs

Auto shift, heat/ac, and few other lights are on the dash dimmer besides 6 dash bulbs and many LED won't dim right.
More annoying many dimmers don't work prefect too making more problem w/ OE bulbs let alone any "upgrades."
Plus there is several versions of the blue board on the knob w/ slightly different resistors that maybe cause LED headaches. (I have 3 knobs all w/ different blue boards.)
So saying x brand LED works w/ GM dimming may not work for others.

Lighter, ashtrays, dome, foot, lights are not on the dimmer. (Dimmer knob just has a switch to turn on dome.)

Any Bright light in the console may bounce off windshield at night making hard to see outside. How bad often depends just how much bright, driver height and seat settings. (Plus Lighter bulb can also make hot spot on console.) Worse if console plastic parts are wrapped etc letting light go where it shouldn't.

I replace the OE bulbs and remove most of them because very annoying.
Shifter wasn't too bad because I run dimmer ~ 50% or less most times. Even then little bulb blew again and just didn't replace in 10+ years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock