Started on: 08-30-2019 08:08 PM
Replies: 97 (2627 views)
Last post by: Toddster on 11-13-2020 08:12 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK folks, Up to now I have been reassembling the engine and yesterday Evan and I put it in the car.

One of the "Must Do's" is turfing the TBI coolant lines. Not only do they rob you of power but they are in the way of every sensor, module, and bolt you need access too. Since the MAP sensor is attached you need to hack off the MAP sensor bracket first. as for the coolant outlets on the thermostat housing you can just loop over a piece small hose but I prefer to cut them off and weld up the holes.

There are 3 main changes you need to make when you swap a pre-88 engine and harness into a 1988 car. 1) the cross over pipe will point directly at the torsion bar and needs a bit of a bend upwards to clear it. 2) The pigtail for the CS130 alternator needs to be changed, 3) the oil pressure sending unit is different and need a new pigtail as well (optional). You can just use a pre-88 pressure sending unit, as I am doing here. Also notice that I removed the bulkhead heat sheild (The leaf catcher) and used thermal wrap instead. This will make maintenance so much easier, improves heat retention, reduces underhood temps, and looks cool too.

For the cross over pipe the solution is to use your BFP. No workshop is complete without one. You only need to bend it up about 1 inch. TIP, do not use a pry bar or some other object inside the crossover pipe, you'll just warp the thin metal, use a large pipe OVER the outer diameter of the crossover pipe.

The pigtail is an off the shelf item at any NAPA store. Connect the red wire to red, the brown wire to brown, and don't connect the black wire to anything (just tape it down). Boom, that is literally all there is to a CS130 upgrade. For the Red Wire, your average 25w solder iron will not work, you need a 100-300watt solder gun.

The previous owner didn't like the crumby stainless exhuast tips (can't blame him) so he put some crumby tip covers over them. they just screw on, so I removed them and used plumbers tape to sand the crud off the tips while I had the chance. I will get after it with some metal polish when I have time for detailing.

Finally! time to put the engine back in. 2 hours work we had it back where it belongs.

We still need to bleed the brakes. I will eventually upgrade the brakes, struts, rotors, etc but for now I just need it running. I had a spare set of sway bar poly bushings so I installed those. TIP, always do this last when installing and first when removing the engine. If you leave them attached you will never get the struts spread far enough apart to slide up into the strut towers.

Today we will bleed everything, reconnect all the hoses, cables, wires, etc. and get it on the ground. with luck, we will have it running today!

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 11-10-2019).]

IP: Logged
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we are moved into the new house! And exhausted. I have the garage semi organized but I still need to run another outlet into it before I can truly ramp-up the project again.

We are on Roswell Georgia and loving it...y'all

Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Dude... WTF?!
Didn't see that coming.

Welcome to the South. Bless your heart.

Nice house, BTW.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-17-2019).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (90)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroClick Here to Email mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait a few months when the humidity switch gets turned on and then see how you feel!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Dude... WTF?!
Didn't see that coming.

Welcome to the South. Bless your heart.

Nice house, BTW.

Thanks, we'll definitely need to grab a cup of yule tide cheer soon!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasClick Here to visit Fiero Thomas's HomePageClick Here to Email Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been awhile. What you up to with this build??????

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 242
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Been awhile. What you up to with this build??????

Todd recently moved from California to Georgia so I assume that is why there are no recent updates.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-22-2020).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the project is on hold for a few more weeks until the weather improves. After moving, we used the garage for storage and there is no room to work. I need to install some overheads and shelves as well as run a new outlet to get power t the work benches and sand blasting cabinet. I am getting a shed as well to store the gardening tools, trash bins, and miscellaneous items.

I will post pics soon and then we can get back to work on the car.

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 03-03-2020).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Photobucket to HELL! They suck. Gotta go with another host service.
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 242
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn Photobucket to HELL! They suck. Gotta go with another host service.

Todd, when you post, there is an "upload image" button on the bottom of the post box which allows you to direct upload images.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seriously can not wait to get back to work on this thing but until I get my outbuilding finished and clear out some space, it is like trying to build a ship in a bottle in my garage right now

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your garage looks clean compared to mine right now.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the white 88, GT or not.
If I ever do another Fiero, it will probably be white,...but highly modified
I LOVE black on tan interior but the "Beachwood" never grew on me. That being said, I still prefer it over the Grey for a white car.
Looks cool, have fun and stay safe.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest moving things to a bedroom or living room...
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

This a great idea to take advantage of some wasted space
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seriously can not wait to get back to work on this thing but until I get my outbuilding finished and clear out some space, it is like trying to build a ship in a bottle in my garage right now

I understand. We moved in March. Most of my stuff is in storage. The guys were supposed to start on our garage and barn this week, but it didn't happen.
I have enough room to do only the most basic stuff.
Good luck.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashClick Here to Email sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a winter project. I'm not sure which one it is, though.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Tell my wife....wait, let me get popcorn
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock