Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Amida G1 Dash - what Android headunits have you used?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Amida G1 Dash - what Android headunits have you used? by Trinten
Started on: 08-19-2018 11:27 PM
Replies: 10 (607 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 08-21-2018 11:22 PM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2018 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I did some googling, and found Yellowstone and TXOpie's posts where they were discussing what double-din stereos they were using in their G1 dashes... unfortunately those threads are a bit old.

Amida was kind enough to give me the opening dimensions to the G1 for the stereo ( 7.156 x 4.437 ), so I've been trying to filter down using that - what's frustrating is some places are not following correct sizing list (I was taught it's LxWxD, and some are jumbling those up, makes for much more time consuming searches while I ask questions and wait for replies). I've also noticed some of them talk about having CPUs that are designed for being in vibration prone systems, which is a neat feature if it's true.

Anyhow, with my G1 dash in the pipeline, I need to source out my Android headunit (and pick out new speakers).

For the people that want to know why I'm Android adamant:
1. Companies can stop supporting GPS map updates to the products, with Android, this is highly unlikely. I'd have to worry more about running out of space.
1a. Waze (yes, I know Google bought them, I still like their app better than the version of Google Maps/navi that's on my phone).
2. Native Torque Pro connectivity
3. I can buy a 3g/4g dongle so it can get get cell service, and thereby get updates/operate GPS without having to hotspot to my phone. (I know this support is not universal, but the majority of units I've looked at mention this).
4. Some have multiple USB ports in the back, so that means rear facing camera and an extra port (front facing camera? Not sure why I would need that, but who knows).
5. Pandora support (also ties back to point 3).

So while I appreciate that there are Pioneers and others that are known to fit, these are not what I'm interested in.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think any double din unit would fit. After all, the dash is built with a double din opening. That's what I put in my dash.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished installing a Joying Android head unit in my Elky . Works pretty good, but as with most of these, it takes some time to figure out all the settings. They have many sizes, and all are dimensioned pretty well on their web site. I also like the way the monitor mounts to the head unit, with a 30" cable that will allow remote mounting if necessary. Also comes in a 1 din "radio" with 2 din size screens, which may also ease installation. I also set mine up with wireless steering wheel controls, which I really like.
https://www.joyingauto.com/us-warehouse.html

Steering wheel controls
https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pumpkin unit in my roadmaster wagon that has been trouble free. Id buy one from pumpkin or joying again without a second thought.

XDA developers These guys know more than I do about android head units.

My unit would be considered outdated at this point, but I've been quite happy with it especially for the price. Its been both really hot and really cold with no problems. As a unit with not much ram, it can get a little slow if you are running google maps nav and more than a few other apps. Still acceptable to me though.

So many units look exactly the same but have totally different insides. know what features you really want and make sure the radio supports them. Mine can do screen mirror, which was important to me. Not all can do that.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deloreanant:

I would think any double din unit would fit. After all, the dash is built with a double din opening. That's what I put in my dash.

Hi Deloreanant,

I would agree that is what common sense dictates, but not always the case. Here's an example (one of many that helped me refine my initial searches)
This unit is listed as a Double Din unit, but face/bezel is 133mm "tall" and 220mm "wide". This exceeds the converted measurement of 112.71mm x 181.76mm and doesn't look like it would really be trimmable to fit.

Darby, Gen,

So it sounds like you mounted your units in dashes other than Amida's G1 dash? I appreciate the feedback on the manufacturer, that will help me narrow my search some there.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trinten

1352 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I found one that is super close to the measurements, so this should be good!

https://www.lightinthebox.c...i-1080p_p421645.html

It also checks most of the boxes I had. They showed having some in stock, but a question from a few days ago had a reply that they were sold out... hopefully they actually had some more in stock!

I did check out Pumpkin's website, and found a backup if I don't like this one. It's very marginally wider (182mm), but that's a "back lip" that might be behind the bezel or survive a little grinding.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the Amida dash, but I have an Android Auto head unit in my 95 Celica. It's a Sony XAV-AX100 and I really enjoy the volume knob. It also has provisions for a back up camera. Mine has a resistive screen which I don't like too much. I do believe the newer ones have a capacitive screen though. Viewing angles in my Celica are poor, but I believe it would be better in the Fiero. Good luck!
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of the two you liked, I would lean toward the Pumpkin. Customer Service is very important with these radios, as the manuals leave a lot to be desired. I've sent a bunch of emails requesting info on how to make stuff work, and I get a reply within a day ( China time zone). The first one needs to have good reviews on Amazon about the service before I would consider. The Pumpkin is also a newer Android version, and has more memory. I'm assuming that Pumpkin has similar customer service as the one I bought.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I have installed in my G1 dash ... love it and performs like a charm... GPS and Backup camera is top notch here is a link to my radio would not go anyother way. Sound is really good with a full band EQ and much much more ... here is an interior shot of my Automoda convertible’s radio ....

regards all
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 08-21-2018).]

predmeister

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks great
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Danyel,

That's a nice, clean look! It says the OS is Win CE? How do you manage GPS updates?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock