Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Red Devil River? Anyone bought/used their ALDL Bluetooth scanner? I'm having trouble. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Red Devil River? Anyone bought/used their ALDL Bluetooth scanner? I'm having trouble. by Indyellowgt
Started on: 06-07-2017 02:03 PM
Replies: 53 (2504 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-30-2017 01:11 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

Well, I think the 85 i have here is suspect.. It is connecting, but not sending data... The two 86's and the 88 are sending data..
Now of course, I need to figure this thing out.. I am hoping that I will be able to 'see' and 'monitor' more on the data logs..

Dave, I emailed the data logs to myself and oh boy what a mess of numbers... Not sure how I will ever decipher all the 'code'....
Sigh...

Yup, now we are both at the same point.
There are some starting points like tps voltage at idle, etc.

I am still searching for what they should be vs. what they are.
A standard good starting point would be nice to have compiled, and I am working on that right now.
If I could find the correct numbers, as if it was a new car for all settings, I will have a base...... still searching.
I might have to buy myself a service manual for that.

And once again congrats on getting data!.... now, what to do with it?
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do understand he's busy...

I noticed he had time enough to post Here today.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36241 posts
Member since Apr 99

Ok! Some success here! With a wrinkle!!

I was trying this on my 85SE ..

We installed it on my tablet.. For grins I decided to try it on my 88GT AND PESTO, ITS WORKING!

But, when I tried it on my 85, no workie!

Sooo, I looked at the Fiero ALDL connector
The '85 and '86 have four pins in the connector... A,B,E,G

The ,87 has A,B,E,F,G

The '88 has A,B,D,E,G

SO.. My guess is a different data stream for the three varieties...

I find this a little confusing as I have never heard of any difference between years in regards to connecting to different pins in the ALDL port. The ALDL cable I use to connect to my laptop works with my '84, '86 and '88 Fieros.

Are you sure your 85's ALDL connector isn't simply mounted upside down (compared to your '88) and that you're possibly plugging into it incorrectly?

Notice that the two images below are showing the same port... but one's flipped over.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-17-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops, already replied. heheheh

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 06-17-2017).]

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I find this a little confusing as I have never heard of any difference between years in regards to connecting to different pins in the ALDL port. The ALDL cable I use to connect to my laptop works with my '84, '86 and '88 Fieros.
Are you sure your 85's ALDL connector isn't simply mounted upside down (compared to your '88) and that you're possibly plugging into it incorrectly?

Notice that the two images below are showing the same port... but one's flipped over.

Patrick... They are indeed not flipped over..
They are in fact wired wired just as I said.

The 85 is not sending data for some reason.. The Bluetooth is connected and the LED light is blinking its normal ' streaming' colors...

I'll have to make sure the pins for that ALDL are making contact

The two 86's and the 88 read fine.. So the one streaming file is indeed the one that is needed for all years..

I have an 86 GT here with a 4.9 in it that has had gremlins for *years* I'd live to be able to read that set-up with this scanner...

*edit to add* I've never bothered to look at the ALDL for diff years, as the A B and G are consistent.. Those are the only pins I've ever needed. 😁
Also, the ALDL plug for the Bluetooth scanner can only plug in the one way.. Idiot proof 😁😁

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 06-17-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...the ALDL plug for the Bluetooth scanner can only plug in the one way.. Idiot proof 😁😁

Well, it never hurts to ask for clarification... just in case.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2017 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: 85 may have an aftermarket "performance chip." Many of those do not stream data to pins E or M no matter what scanner is used.
All Fiero V6 and older L4 use E. 87+ L4 w/ 1227748 ECM use M.

Only look at key on top or bottom near C & D. ALDL can be mounted either way in Fiero.

Shift light doesn't ground thru ALDL pin F for most cars. F is test point for TCC lockup.
SES going to pin D is not listed in many SM Aldata etc for Fiero including 88 FSM... (Pages 8A-20-2 & 8A-21-0) And when you look at picture above most C and D are empty. Later years may have D as backup to read error codes using a "code reader" w/ a light. Readers are mostly crap and if they have a light doesn't work w/ many GM cars.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2017 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the record, he PM'd me back. Was a thoughtful, thorough explanation to my question.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2017 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

For the record, he PM'd me back. Was a thoughtful, thorough explanation to my question.

That's great... but it would be a little more reassuring to hear that a vendor would act in the same manner after a sale.
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's great... but it would be a little more reassuring to hear that a vendor would act in the same manner after a sale.

Yeah.. Bummed I never heard.. But, that's why I've been here nearly 20(!) Years.. We lean on each other for help.

I'd love to figure out how to read the data logs.. Maybe I'm not exporting it correctly?
I email it to myself, and open the file in my viewer.. Its a series of numbers and lean/rich values.. Makes my head spin... Haha
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Indyellowgt

1950 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by theogre:

Note: 85 may have an aftermarket "performance chip." Many of those do not stream data to pins E or M no matter what scanner is used.
All Fiero V6 and older L4 use E. 87+ L4 w/ 1227748 ECM use M.

Only look at key on top or bottom near C & D. ALDL can be mounted either way in Fiero.

Shift light doesn't ground thru ALDL pin F for most cars. F is test point for TCC lockup.
SES going to pin D is not listed in many SM Aldata etc for Fiero including 88 FSM... (Pages 8A-20-2 & 8A-21-0) And when you look at picture above most C and D are empty. Later years may have D as backup to read error codes using a "code reader" w/ a light. Readers are mostly crap and if they have a light doesn't work w/ many GM cars.

Thanks, Ogre.. Some solid info.. I'm hoping to greatly explore this scanner and really use it as a go-to tool..

PFF
System Bot
snyderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snydermanSend a Private Message to snydermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just received my USB connector from Red Devil and I'm having touble too. I am trying to scan using TunerPro RT but after loading the suggested definitions, the furthest I get is "connecting" and it just hangs there. Both Marc from TunerPro and Phonedawgz have tried to help me, but I just can't connect. I assume I 'm not using the right definitions as I confirmed I'm on the right com port so what else could it be? Does someone know what the correct .xdf and .adx files I should be using for an '84 2.5?
snyderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snydermanSend a Private Message to snydermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

snyderman

200 posts
Member since Nov 2008
I just received my USB connector from Red Devil and I'm having touble too. I am trying to scan using TunerPro RT but after loading the suggested definitions, the furthest I get is "connecting" and it just hangs there. Both Marc from TunerPro and Phonedawgz have tried to help me, but I just can't connect. I assume I 'm not using the right definitions as I confirmed I'm on the right com port so what else could it be? Does someone know what the correct .xdf and .adx files I should be using for an '84 2.5?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by snyderman:

Does someone know what the correct .xdf and .adx files I should be using for an '84 2.5?

This may help...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000040.html

Download appropriate XDF and ADS file for your computer here:
$14 - 1226156 – 1984 Fiero L4
http://tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/ads/

Then get the BIN file – this is the program in your ECMs PROM chip.

PROM numbers listed here: http://www.exatorq.com/ludis_obd1/fieroprom.html
You can also look at the number on your PROM if you access the ECM under the center console.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com...efi/bin/1226156/lr8/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-30-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay