87 start issue by txtallman
Started on: 06-17-2017 10:25 AM
Replies: 4 (178 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 06-17-2017 10:36 PM
txtallman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for txtallmanSend a Private Message to txtallmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 87 gt won't start or shift out of park. I have a new battery as the car was totally mechanically made street and safety
worthy this past winter and was driven just a month ago and started just a couple of weeks ago. I read that it could be a fuse or the break / trans interlock switch or a battery/cable issue.
I checked the fuses and all are good. the battery is new and the cables are in good shape .
when I turn on the key I can hear the relay click but thats all that happens.
I looked for the breake/ trans lockout switch on the break pedal and there are 2 or 3 switches mounted on the brake so not sure
of which should be touched. connectors do not seem to be removable. most connector you can squeeze to release.

does this seem to be a starter /loose connection problem ? or other ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a mechanical cable that is activated by the rotation of the key at the lower end of the steering column. This connects to the shifter in the console. I would attempt to disconnect the steering column end of it and see if that clears your problem. My guess is the no crank situation is because of issues with this interlock.

http://repairguide.autozone...0900c152801dac79.gif

The switch that prevents cranking when the car is not in park or N is on the transmission. The large yellow wire of the switch is the incoming signal from the ignition switch. It connects to the large purple wire which then runs to the starter. Since you are having interlock issue, my guess is the tranny is not fully in park and thus the engine isn't cranking. So figure out what is keeping the shifter from moving and fix it and my guess is the engine will then crank when it is really in park.

Be ready for the car to potentially move when you start it.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-17-2017).]

txtallman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for txtallmanSend a Private Message to txtallmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tHANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. I also think this is the issue as you described. The shifter is in the park position as I cannot move it back towards neutral. Seems odd that I have started it a couple times (without moving it) just to run it because of surgery recovery and then it won"t start this time . I will check for the cable.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you hear the starter solenoid the you have 2 problems.

Shift interlock cable etc won't matter to start the car in you case. Look at starter.

Interlock and shifter can get crap in the console and broken parts making shift problems.
Start See my Cave, Auto Shifter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If u havent drivin it in a month the battery might be almost dead, check yr voltage. If no meter turn the headlights on n see if theyre bright or dim. If u think its the shift interlock, when its in park get out n try to push the car maybe the switchll click into place. good luck

shem

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock