PFFCD by fieroboy_gt
Started on: 04-08-2017 10:50 AM
Replies: 25 (482 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 10-10-2023 04:47 AM
fieroboy_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this still being offered ? If there was a upto date version of this I'd Def buy it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can download this cd from www.fieronews.net It is in the download section under tech downloads at the bottom.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It hasn't been published in many years. The latest one will be at least ten years out of date.
But since then, server space has gotten less expensive, and the volume has (I'm pretty sure) gotten way too large to save to a CD.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's we need to come out is a PFFDVD then.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2017 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

It hasn't been published in many years. The latest one will be at least ten years out of date.
But since then, server space has gotten less expensive, and the volume has (I'm pretty sure) gotten way too large to save to a CD.

Sixteen years out of date. I uploaded the CD for the benefit of mankind, but it's only value is a curiosity of what the early forum was like. The most recent one only covers 1999 to 2000.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Sixteen years out of date. I uploaded the CD for the benefit of mankind, but it's only value is a curiosity of what the early forum was like. The most recent one only covers 1999 to 2000.
Cliff make it available thru Torrent sites years ago after gave up trying to sell. Even then now many times can't get it because no-one seeds the torrent.

Making CD version was hard work and made very little to no money. Vol2 max out CD capacity @ ~ 710MB and like PFF site, Many didn't like Search function for CD.

Updated disks will have same problems w/ dead images because pictures post thru photobucket etc and people deleted moved a picture or link expired.
With pictures is likely too big for 2 layer DVD. Might be big BR burn disks too. Many PC and other devices still are built w/o having BR players so less people will buy. (Many Others w/ BR players only can use 2 layer disks.)

Note: If you don't like PFF search... try use Google and add site:www.fiero.nl to search.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-10-2017).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Cliff make it available thru Torrent sites years ago after gave up trying to sell. Even then now many times can't get it because no-one seeds the torrent.

Making CD version was hard work and made very little to no money. Vol2 max out CD capacity @ ~ 710MB and like PFF site, Many didn't like Search function for CD.

Updated disks will have same problems w/ dead images because pictures post thru photobucket etc and people deleted moved a picture or link expired.
With pictures is likely too big for 2 layer DVD. Might be big BR burn disks too. Many PC and other devices still are built w/o having BR players so less people will buy. (Many Others w/ BR players only can use 2 layer disks.)

Note: If you don't like PFF search... try use Google and add site:www.fiero.nl to search.

I agree the forum CD/DVD/BD/BD-XL is not going to be a huge money maker. But there does seem to be continual interest in having an archive of the fourm. Blaming the disc size seems like a hollow excuse not to do it.

BD-XL is 100 GB. I doubt the forum is bigger than that. Someone that knows could answer for sure. Yes the picture links to online sites will go dead without internet access and will eventually go dead even with. But the online forum has that same issue. There is software out there that can painlessly archive an entire website. How difficult would it be to dump that to BD-XL? By the way I have a blu-ray burner in my laptop.

Oh and why does it have to be a disc? A 1T drive is about $50. for those folks that really want an archive sell them a hard drive with the entire forum on it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-10-2017).]

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2017 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just gonna sucks when PFF disapears. Pretty much everything fiero will vanish as well.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We were kidding around Here about finding "the original Fiero on Mars photoshopped image" from 1999. I remembered that years ago I had downloaded the PFFCD when it had been made available online, so I figured it would be easy enough to search through those files to find the image.

Wrong.

First up, I had to create an ISO image of the files and folders for this CD that were on my hard drive. I then mounted this ISO image on a virtual drive, so that it comes up in Explorer as a CDROM.

I installed the program from this "CD", and the program then opens fine.

I click on "Force Offline Mode", run a search... and instantly, results (threads) are displayed.

So far, so good.

However, when I then ask to View a thread (that I've put a tick beside), I get the following error message...

Run-time error '76': Path not found

When I click "OK" in the error box, the program then instantly closes.

What is the problem? Is it because I'm using a virtually mounted ISO image of the CD instead of an actual physical CD? If so, there's surely a way around this!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-08-2023).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it Vol1 or Vol2?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, it's VOL 2. The following are obtained from the virtually mounted ISO file.

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actual PFFCD VOL 2.ISO is 702 MB (736,565,248 bytes)
Another copy, PFF.CD2.-.Pennocks.Fiero.Forum.CD.-.Volume.2.iso is 701 MB (735,334,472 bytes) from a torrent.
so likely your missing something.

Files in C:\Programs etc are often missing parts + many problems installers added "Environment Variables" in Registry etc too.

Example: So VCD isn't same Letter as CD at install time then can't use the "disk."

Old Alldata CD/DVD had similar problem if CD letter changes for any reason. In that case, You have to tell the program where the data is again.

That's ignoring many 32bit programs & drivers don't work on Windows x64. (Any 8 or 16 bit programs don't work w/ WOW32 in x64. & why many keep WinXP around to play old Windows games & more.)

Data files are .CGI file is a "Common Gateway Interface script." Reality Often only a programs written for a set of files can truly use them.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-08-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actual PFFCD VOL 2.ISO is 702 MB (736,565,248 bytes)
Another copy, PFF.CD2.-.Pennocks.Fiero.Forum.CD.-.Volume.2.iso is 701 MB (735,334,472 bytes) from a torrent.
so likely your missing something.

Hmmm... interesting. I still have the original RAR file that I had downloaded a long time ago. Explorer states it's 483,160 KB. I'm just unzipping it again to see if it matches what I already unzipped ages ago (which was used to install the program). I'll report back.

[EDIT] No change. The unzipped contents are exactly the same.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99
As we've all probably witnessed when acquiring file/folder size, it appears to make a difference how exactly one accesses this info. What I posted earlier does not match what I get when I simply access the size of the ISO image... which is 702 MB (736,473,088 bytes.)

So it appears that I do indeed have all the data... but the program seems to be confused how to open the threads, despite being able to list the threads when a search has been run. There's probably a simple way to re-orient the program, but I don't have the skillz required!

I'm running this on a Windows 7 machine. I've tried installing the program with Win98, XP, and Win7 compatibility modes, to no avail.

* Cliff, with the knowledge that this program was written a very long time ago, is there any chance that the program (or parts of it) were written to only look for a CD drive designated to be "D"? I'm just wondering if this might be why at least part of the program can't find the data that it requires. My virtually mounted ISO file is on CD drive "V".

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-09-2023).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VCD vs "real" CD drive can make problems too even if you relearn the program or change letters in Disk Manager etc.

Alldata & some others to relearn was a simple window access thru normal menu page. Alldata was Data/Devices, others are Options on whatever menu.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VCD vs "real" CD...

Ogre, you've been confusing me with this reference to VCD... as VCD was a video format (on CD) years ago (before DVD). I couldn't understand why you were bringing this up. However, it's finally sunk in that you're referring to Virtual CD.

Example: So VCD isn't same Letter as CD at install time then can't use the "disk."

Yes, I was aware that this could potentially cause a problem... so I did install the program from the same location (virtual CD drive "V") that the program would then need to look in for any/all data.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Virtual CD...

Some programs don't like this even if installers don't care.
It maybe even exact software used for virtual disk.
Many things hate RAM "Disk" too even in old MS DOS world.

Many things hate M$ ReadyBoost & other add on disk caching too & can even cause Windows BSOD errors when used.
I've played w/ ReadyBoost many times but never saw any different to load any program or data. Been around since Vista & Some or all W10 could use it.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried running it in XP compatible mode? Also, try running it in online mode.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Have you tried running it in XP compatible mode?

Yes, when installing the program a multitude of times, I've instructed the EXE file to use Win98, XP, or Win 7 compatibility modes. Made no difference.

Also, try running it in online mode.

Same error message as posted above.

Depending on what thread I select to view, I occasionally (very rarely) will get my browser opening and the URL address is C:\Program Files (x86)\PFFCD Volume 2 something or another. Of course, it doesn't find the thread there.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be it's confused by the virtual drive's drive letter (V: ). Can you change that to something like D:?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you change that to something like D:?

I probably can, although I'll have to give my present D drive (a secondary hard drive) a different designation. I'll make an attempt tomorrow, as it's getting late on this side of the globe.

I'll file a report after I've tried it. Thanks Cliff.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait, it might be necessary to start it with Administrator rights since it writes its config files and temp files in a subfolder of the folder it's installed in. And that is no longer allowed without admin right since Win 7.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait, it might be necessary to start it with Administrator rights since it writes its config files and temp files in a subfolder of the folder it's installed in. And that is no longer allowed without admin right since Win 7.
PIP has that problem too since Vista. More so Win7 & up x64.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It could be it's confused by the virtual drive's drive letter (V: ). Can you change that to something like D:?

Wait, it might be necessary to start it with Administrator rights since it writes its config files and temp files in a subfolder of the folder it's installed in.

Well... I changed the virtual drive letter to "D". No difference.

I tried starting the program with Administrator rights. No difference.

Okay, out come the big guns. I'm going to fire up an old XP computer, burn these files to a CD, and see what the hell happens.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2023 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright, some progress.

This was like going back in time 20 years.

Fired up the XP box, opened good ol' Nero, burned a CD (first time in ages!) and installed the program from the CD. Ran fine.

Then just out of curiosity... I uninstalled the program, then re-installed it from the CD installation files on the hard drive (which also happened to be drive "D"), opened the program... but it would choke when asked to view a thread. So it appears that the program is hard-wired to access the threads (to display) from the CD, and from the CD alone.

Now that I had the installation files on an actual CD, I installed the program on my Win 7 computer (with no compatibility issues). It does need to be run with Administrative rights (not a big deal), and works just fine. Even though it's needing to access data on the CD, it all occurs very quickly.

What started this journey was my curiosity regarding an image posted in 1999 of the Fiero found on Mars. I wanted to see if this iconic image was on the disc, as it no longer resides anywhere online. With great anticipation, I opened the thread...

<sigh>
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2023 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I had found that thread also. The image resided on a external site that no longer has the image. If you check the online version (by enabling "Force online mode"), you can see the URL of the image. Wayback Machine doesn't have that image either.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock