Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Facebook, and it's ease of sharing photos, is turning the forum into a ghost town :( (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Facebook, and it's ease of sharing photos, is turning the forum into a ghost town :( by JohnWPB
Started on: 03-27-2017 05:55 PM
Replies: 98 (2466 views)
Last post by: tshark on 05-08-2017 07:03 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2017 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Yes
Aparently someone didnt get their way and decided to go on face book and call some of us Nazis
At least here on the forum I can choose what threads to read or not read
Quite honestly with facebook popping it up every time someone replied I just got a little sick of it and drop both groups
Last thing I need is some idiot polluting my news feed on facebook with Nazis and hate
You don't get your way you don't have to go and ****ing start spewing hatred on other forums
Some people have a lot of growing up to do. There are a lot of online resources I certainly do not need facebook to keep any of my vehicles on the road
Hopefully it never happens but if PFF is shut down I will still go on but I'm cutting back my Facebook to what it was supposed to be in the first place family and close friends only

The use of that word.. in the face book page is done.. as a tool.. That person knows that facebook own internal search engine will flag it. and lock the page..
Same reason.. one person here is doing the same thing.. as googles ad's internal search will flag it..
I'll leave whom it is to other members to figure out..
IP: Logged
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I avoid social media, especially FB.
No interest at all.

Same here. Facebook is not your friend. If you don't know by now, they actually monitor what you put/say on it. No Freedom of Speech on Facebook.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

You can find car meets/cruises for every day of the season if you want local to you..
This makes it SHINE..

I've seen one show that was at the fiero store and maybe one other that was somewhat local to me (under 500 miles) but there are tons and tons of shows within 100 miles of everyone that know one here knows about.. as they only post info on fiero based shows.. other than the powertour.. and the Pontiac national show. ,wilwood dream cruise and a "few" other large ones..
Facebook.. the local car groups on there post any and every meet/cruise/show they hear about..
If you plan on enjoying cruising your ride and hanging with other car guys/gals.. you just can't beet it..
And the only reason I'm thinking of going back to having a facebook account.. As it is the news source for car season events..

Pretty much.
fierotrev2014

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in my mid 20s and don't have Facebook and never will, my friends have my number and can call me or text even, if needed. The only social media I actually have is snapchat, and on very rare occasions I actually use it.

This Forum has been priceless to me over the years as I lurked through all of the wonderful info on here, and I will continue to give thanks to all the very intelligent people that have contributed to that info. I have lurked on this forum since I was 16 and joined back in 2014 and i'm on here almost everyday.

I'm sure facebook may have its benefits but i still enjoy reading through all the old build threads and everything else on this forum, and will continue to do so.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Same here. Facebook is not your friend. If you don't know by now, they actually monitor what you put/say on it. No Freedom of Speech on Facebook.

So I have total freedom of speech here on this forum?
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pennocks=good searching & reference
facebook=no good searching & reference
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OHNIKO:

pennocks=good searching & reference
facebook=no good searching & reference

Amen

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Na trouble makers just need to quit arguing about dumb stuff like we got chips on our shoulders.

We all choose for ourselves what we post. Choose to reply , choose not to, choose how.

..and don't leave because of someone who doesn't choose wisely.

This is mostly the answer. Some people just make bad comments on anything posted, regardless of the topic. After a while, some people just get tired of being the object of being hassled and quit to go somewhere else. There are those here that would find fault with just posting a picture of a sunset you think is pretty. It would be inappropriate for the topic, out of focus, color balance incorrect, a place they dont like, or whatever other reason they just want to argue.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-25-2017).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I quit being active here due to the constant bickering. This isn't a community, it's a battle ground.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fortunately most of the fighting is over in the OT section. I'm part of the Facebook Fiero group....but it really has no value compared to PFF.

Roger...so what's wrong with my sunset pic?

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:
..so what's wrong with my sunset pic?

Well, it's inappropriate for the topic, out of focus, the color balance is incorrect, I don't like that place, and some other reason I'll mention later solely because I just want to argue.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...so what's wrong with my sunset pic?

It's a little better now... but I could only do so much.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

I quit being active here due to the constant bickering. This isn't a community, it's a battle ground.

There is a statistic out there..

"One percent of the population is responsible for 63 percent of violent crime"

I think the stat is even more skewed here on PFF. My advice is don't let the teeny tiny percent no matter how noisy, affect you or the forum.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roger...so what's wrong with my sunset pic?

Your sunset picture is lovely. The machinations required to post it here are the problem. Posting 20 pics from a car show here is a PITA and is not possible from my phone. Doing so on FB, either my personal page or the Fiero group, takes seconds from my computer or phone.

What PFF has:
- Tons of historical/technical data/info that is relatively easy to find.
- Very knowledgeable people who, in my experience, are genuinely interested in help those with less knowledge (me).

What FB has:
- Ease of use.
- Broad audience.
- Ease of use.
- An excellent phone app.
- Ease of use.

Perhaps it's a bit like comparing an encyclopedia and a comic book. One is for reference, one is for entertainment. And the crowd here is much more likely to know what an encyclopedia is...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Facebook may be good for posting a comment or two but this forum is an encyclopedic reference on anything and everything Fiero. I seldom use Facebook. I guess that it is good for social networking but they will supply your name and contacts information to anyone who will pay for it.
As for this forum being a place for hot debates and malcontents, you will have some of that on any forum. Nothing is perfect. I enjoy the open exchange of ideas, opinions and the occasional civil debate. Today's Fiero collectors represent a more mature audience and the discussion here is mainly positive. Go take a look at the riceburner forums and compare. Those guys are out for blood.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2017 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Facebook may be good for posting a comment or two but this forum is an encyclopedic reference on anything and everything Fiero. I seldom use Facebook. I guess that it is good for social networking but they will supply your name and contacts information to anyone who will pay for it.
As for this forum being a place for hot debates and malcontents, you will have some of that on any forum. Nothing is perfect. I enjoy the open exchange of ideas, opinions and the occasional civil debate. Today's Fiero collectors represent a more mature audience and the discussion here is mainly positive. Go take a look at the riceburner forums and compare. Those guys are out for blood.

The point is, today people go to cruises, shows, meets,, not sit in a chair a few times a years showing the cars,
This place does zero to help with information on any of that, Facebook, you can get cruises/meets/shows to go to local to you for every day and night if you so choose..
Forums are great for info on repairs/upgrades,etc but as far as being active in the car hobby it is useless..
I can search here for shows/cruises/etc for tomorrow sunday, and get zero hits.
I can go on facebook and find 25+ local to me..
Again today people in the hobby use the junk they build, This is also why many "claim" the car hobby is die'n, it isn't just they are not showing up at a car show where everyone sits in a lawn chair and they play 50's music..
There is room for both.. Forums are slower, because today with people out and using the hobby cars and being around other car people, they can ask about issues, upgrades with real live people.. They don't need to log into a forum for everything..
Very little is Fiero only.. Very little of the forum members are using their cars to need info on repairs, etc..

Or it could be that for 10+ years of hearing "use the search" thread replies, that now they don't even bother to post, just lurk and use the search..
Forums becoming a ghost town are mostly from the ole guard members doings..
You built this, with the "use the search" replies..
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the bottom of the PFF board index page:

There are currently 208 users browsing the forum (12 members, 196 visitors).
Most user online: 281 on Sun, Apr 2 2017 - 09:42PM .
101 unique members posted a message yesterday.
624 unique members posted a message in the past 30 days

Note the date.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stats from Oct 2007, compliments of archive.org:

Number of visitors:

since I started counting.
There are currently 69 users browsing the forum (40 members, 29 visitors).
Most user online: 233 on Sat, Oct 21 2006 - 10:03PM .
283 members posted a message yesterday.
1534 members posted a message in the past 30 days
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting perspective. The current stats looked much better before you posted that.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock