How did you get into Fieros? by 2.5
Started on: 11-23-2016 09:52 AM
Replies: 101 (2632 views)
Last post by: Harold James Kie on 11-13-2017 07:24 PM
luvfierosforever

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad was a small car enthusiast. He had many Triumph sports cars, the last being a white victory edition TR7. I loved the wedge shape.

By the time I was old enough to drive, the Fiero debuted. By the time I thought I could afford one, I bought a 1986 manual 2m4. I loved that car, but it loved the mechanic more. In the end, I couldn't afford to keep it.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, after hearing so many stories of my Fiero, my son bought his first car, a white 88 GT. I couldn't stand not having my own and trolled Craigslist and pestered my husband . Valentine's weekend two years ago, I rescued my baby, a twin white 88 GT. It has been down more than on the road, but my husband and son are great about helping me work on it when time allows. She's currently waiting on a water pump, but I have a whole Michigan winter to get that done.

Spring can't get here fast enough!

IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

when i was 21 i loved the Fiero from the start and always dreamed of it having a more powerful engine

Does it now have a more powerful engine?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i loved the Fiero from the start and always dreamed of it having a more powerful engine

I suspect all Fiero owners "dream" of their baby having more horsepower... and some then actually do something about it.

I admit my solution to a lack of HP after 20 years of Fiero ownership was to finally buy (as of last night!) a JDM Subaru Impreza STi... but I still love my Formula.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I admit my solution to a lack of HP after 20 years of Fiero ownership was to finally buy (as of last night!) a JDM Subaru Impreza STi... but I still love my Formula.

Congrats, I love Scoobies. They're high on my list for next DD. My Fiero feels relatively quick compared to my Kia, especially since I just use it for cruising and not racing.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

Congrats, I love Scoobies. They're high on my list for next DD.

Thanks. The trick now is to find a forum as good for Subarus as PFF is for Fieros!

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

My dad had an 88 base coupe as our car when I was a young teenager and it was just the two of us. It was what I learned to drive on and eventually it was given to me. Lots of memories in that car. I liked the looks and how uncommon they were compared to Mustangs Camaros and Corvettes, even more so now as I think I have 1 of maybe 2 or 3 in the city. So I basically got the one I have now for sentimental reasons, not because it's the best project car choice.

I'm just chiming into this now, but this pretty much my exact story.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back when I was like 13 or 14, my dad and I were driving downtown in Boise, Idaho. We passed the slew of used car lots on the side of the road next to the freeway, and a bright red 2 door sports car caught my eye. I yelled at my dad who was driving to pull into the lot because I had never seen one before and wanted to check it out.

We pull into the lot and I get out of the car totally excited about the appearance of that fast looking coupe. I walk around the outside and the lot attendant comes out to greet us stating they were about to close, but he would be more than happy to let us take it around the block since it needed to be driven. He goes inside and gets the keys and hands them to my dad. He unlocks the car and I hop in the passenger side. I remember sitting down and stretching my legs all the way out, perplexed at the amount of leg room in the little car. I asked him why I had so much leg room and he told me, "It's because the engine is in the back!"

Mind blown, I take in the sights on the inside. He pops up the retro hideaway headlamps and I look over at the bright red dash lights illuminating the cockpit from the 80's fighter style gauge pod.

The engine roars to life with a loud belt squeal accompanying the ensemble. We take the car for a short cruise around downtown Boise. I was in love. This car was everything my 14 year old self wanted. I begged my dad to buy it for me. (They wanted $8,500). My dad explained to me that these cars were known for engine fires and bad 80's GM build quality and it was too old (But this one only had 42,000 miles).

Crushed, I hopped back into the lame 4 door 2003 Ram and proceeded home in hopes that someday I'd own one.

Fast forward to my Freshman year in High school. Recently 15, I was now eligible for my driver's license in the state of Idaho. My dad was living out of state at the time and was picking me up from school since he was in town.

It was time to start looking for cars and my dad and I are huge car guys. He told me he found something perfect for me on craigslist and asked if I would be interested in going to look at it. Of course I wanted to go look at a car so I said yes.

We drove to a suburb of Boise, called Meridian, and pulled up next to a gold 1987 Pontiac Fiero. I had a flashback to the night we rode in the Red one and was ready to buy it. We took it for a test drive, and negotiated a to a price of $1,800. I drove it home.

Fast forward a couple years and I’m at the Idaho Center in Nampa, Idaho autocrossing with the Fiero club. I just finished my best lap time and noticed another Fiero got into the event and was parked next to the club tent. I cruised over to inquire about the car and meet the owner. As I got closer, I noticed a for sale sign in the window and a price drawn on the windshield. Only $7,500! I laughed and went to figure out who was selling it. The car dealer across the street from the event in Nampa owned the car and they were trying to get rid of it. I called my dad and asked him if he wanted to get a Fiero too. He said sure, but he wasn’t going to pay $7,500 for one. He asked how many miles were on it and it only had 42,500 miles. “What dealer is selling it,” he exclaimed. I replied, “Bronco Motors!”

What happened next was incredible. I asked the salesman how long the lot had the car. “4 years,” he said. “It used to be in our Boise lot.”

It was the same car I fell in love with years ago. I told my dad, and he told me to offer the m $3,000. They said that would be a hard sell, but they would ask the General Manager. He countered at $3,500. We bought it.

We have been happily driving, modifying, and showing our cars and have even acquired one more for my dad’s wife. We love Fieros.

------------------
My Car - 87' GT - 3800sc - Gunmetal Gray - Lowered
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

It was the same car I fell in love with years ago. I told my dad, and he told me to offer the m $3,000. They said that would be a hard sell, but they would ask the General Manager. He countered at $3,500. We bought it.

We have been happily driving, modifying, and showing our cars and have even acquired one more for my dad’s wife. We love Fieros.

This is a great story....I think the best one so far!

And tell your Father that the Fiero(And the Pinto!) have a better fire record than the average for all cars....And it was built under Demings TQM process...The same system the Japanese used to beat us at the quality game!

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

This is a great story....I think the best one so far!

And tell your Father that the Fiero(And the Pinto!) have a better fire record than the average for all cars....And it was built under Demings TQM process...The same system the Japanese used to beat us at the quality game!

Thanks!

He loves his Fiero and we have learned that both of those rumors aren't really true. He bought it for me for my first car after all!

-Mitch
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

OMG, did you buy that car new off the lot in 85? 'cause I bought the exact car at about the same time- GT, white with silver trim spring 85. One of the first ones off the line.
Cool..and yeah, the car drew a lot of attention didn't it?

Yup. Bought it in March or April of 85. Funny thing is, it was originally shipped to a dealer in North Atlanta (I lived in the eastern 'burbs.)
I saw it on their lot during a lunch break, while working in North Atlanta. Didn't have the time or the inclination to talk with a salesman, so I looked it over, salivated a bit, then left.
A week later, I was out cruising around in my POS MG Midget, and decided to drive through the Pontiac dealer that was close to my house.
Guess what was there? That same GT. They had apparently had it transferred in. Bought it that night.
It had a 4 speed, and every option except power mirrors and (I think) rear defrost.

Attention? Oh yeah!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Funny how things like that with cars work out.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What happened next was incredible. I asked the salesman how long the lot had the car. “4 years,” he said. “It used to be in our Boise lot.”

That's awesome!
88 fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fieroGTSend a Private Message to 88 fieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought my first fiero in'84 .Brand new '84 4 speed.Still own my7 & 8th fiero.'84 Indy 79k miles & '88GT 93k miles.
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was visiting visiting family in Beach Haven, New Jersey when I was 12 years old and we were walking along the beach, when I see this bright yellow, hot looking car. I wasn't at all into cars at the time, and my dad doesn't know much about cars either. Neither of us new what it was, but I checked it out and was in love. I started saving the minute I got home, and four years later I'm a newly-licensed 16 year old with a bright red Formula with T-Tops that I picked up for 2500 dollars off a guy who had it under a tarp for around 20 years and wanted it off his hands.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was a kid 30 years ago I was always cruising the car lots looking at cars I could only ever hope to one day afford. I remember looking at lots of cars, many of which stick in my mind today. After owning a few $5-600 cars I finally had a job where I could afford something decent (for me at the time). I looked at a lot of things and remember my first test drive of a Fiero when I was 16. It was a red GT auto and am pretty sure it was a 1987. At that time it had around 33K miles on it. This was in 1989 so only a few years old and it drove fabulous! Unfortunately they wanted 10Kish for it so it was totally out of my budget so I bought a 1977 Camaro instead

A couple years later I was on the hunt for a 5.0 Mustang. Everything I looked at was out of my price range except one I finally found. It had an all red interior as it's only downside but man what a fast machine it was. Only I didn't have the money for it, and had to ask my girlfriend. She said no So off again I was looking for another car.

I was driving past one of a million used car lots and saw a shiny red machine out front. Went in and met the owner of the place, Sam. It was a 1986 SE V6 and after a quick drive I bought it! Here's me with it, I think this was ~1990 or 91.

It had been repainted, not sure why but I didn't care

After that I have bought and sold a lot of cars (more than 70!!) but I have always loved Fieros. Finally after a 15 year hiatus I have my 5th Fiero, having had my original 1986 SE, an 86 GT, another 86 SE, an 88 GT, and finally my latest 1987 GT.

Cheers from downunder
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After hi-school my dau86ghter traded her Chevy (junk) for a new 86 GT but too young to fiancé. So Dad had to put in my name. Couple of years later she wanted to rade it so I took it and helped her get another car. I still have it with a 4.9.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lovin these stories.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife's brother bought a brand new red 1984 automatic. Loved the way it looked. Test drove one at a dealer, but thought it was under powered. He said the rumor was either a turbo or a V-6. I told him to call me when he knew. October '84 test drove the V-6. Loved it. Ordered a new V-6, 4 speed from the factory in November, got it in May of 1985. We have owned it ever since. It was getting a little tired looking in 2005, so started restoring it, from the bottom up. All new suspension parts and brakes. I did most of the mechanical stuff, but I let a pro do the painting. I went to an all Pontiac car show in a nearby city, and met a whole group of Fiero owners. I learned more about Fiero's in the next few years than I had in the previous 25 years!. They recommended a painter who had already done about 30 Fiero's (panels off). He did a remarkable job! Later, went to the 30th Anniversary at Indy. Lots of great people and Fiero's. Bought an 88 GT later, but had to sell it after 4 years. Kept our original, for sentimental reasons. Still has it's original muffler! Who says American's can't build a car that lasts? Put historical plates on it after it reached the 30 year mark. Still drive it to work once in awhile (weather permitting). It's nice to see people actually driving their classic cars, instead of putting them in a garage. A friend of mine has an 88 GT with everything, with only 30,000 miles. It's been sitting in a garage for about 16 years now. He has 2 others that have been aging under some trees for about a decade. What a waste.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2016 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Yup. Bought it in March or April of 85. Funny thing is, it was originally shipped to a dealer in North Atlanta (I lived in the eastern 'burbs.)
I saw it on their lot during a lunch break, while working in North Atlanta. Didn't have the time or the inclination to talk with a salesman, so I looked it over, salivated a bit, then left.
A week later, I was out cruising around in my POS MG Midget, and decided to drive through the Pontiac dealer that was close to my house.
Guess what was there? That same GT. They had apparently had it transferred in. Bought it that night.
It had a 4 speed, and every option except power mirrors and (I think) rear defrost.

Attention? Oh yeah!

Pretty much sums up my car as well, everything exc the power mirrors. Good memories, King of the Hill for awhile.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2016 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get into my Fieros one leg at a time
litespd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son was a few months shy of turning 16 and getting his license, and I went looking for a car for him to drive. Being a Ford guy since I was a teenager, I was looking at Mustangs, but everything I looked at in my price range was pretty clapped out. As I was driving around, I passed an empty lot where private owners would park cars they were trying to sell, and I saw a white Fiero. I had a friend that had an Indy at one time, and he had given me a ride in it, and I remember thinking that it was pretty impressive, so I turned around and went back and looked at the Fiero. It was an 86 SE V6, 5 speed Getrag car with about 50,000 miles on it. Long story short, I ended up buying it, and as my son hadn't gotten his license yet, I drove it for about 3 months. That's all it took for me to decide that I'd like to have one of my own, and a couple of years later, I found an 86 GT in Colorado that was really clean. It had been stolen and taken for a joyride, then left in a ditch. The guy I bought it from had been fixing it up, and had it mechanically sound, but it needed some cosmetic work. I bought it and drove it home, saved my pennies for about a year, and had the car redone. Since then, I've added a few things here and there, and have it pretty much like I want it. I'd like to have a more powerful, more dependable engine, but that's something that's pretty much just a pipe dream. I used to show the car a lot, but over the past few years, have gotten burned out on car shows, and it's pretty much just sat in a storage unit, waiting for me to come drive it. Last year, Sluppy123 completely rebuilt the suspension and brakes on it for me, and put Eibachs on it, so it no longer looks like a 4X4. I toy with the idea of selling it, as it's been a year since I've even driven it, but for some reason, just haven't been able to do so.

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2016 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

it's pretty much just sat in a storage unit, waiting for me to come drive it. Last year, Sluppy123 completely rebuilt the suspension and brakes on it for me, and put Eibachs on it, so it no longer looks like a 4X4. I toy with the idea of selling it, as it's been a year since I've even driven it, but for some reason, just haven't been able to do so.

Well, come spring break it out
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

Here's me with it...

Cheers from downunder

Geez you Aussies are pale!
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2016 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Dad had an 84 coupe when I was a kid. It was so awesome to me. I have only good memories of that car, whether it was watching dad change the oil or going for a cruise or sneaking under the cover (He kept it in a car cover) to sit in it and pretend I was driving. When I was in 5th grade my teacher had us write a letter to our self which he would send to us when we turned 18. I put, "you must buy the Fiero from dad". That was my first love of Fieros. One day, when I was in middle school it threw a rod as we were driving to school. He left in on the side of the road for two weeks until it got towed. We were on our way home from school when a tow truck passes us with it on the back! I frantically told my dad to follow it, but by the time he finally turned around it was out of site :'( I cried in dismay. I called some towing companies, but they didn't know anything. Eventually my dad found out where it was towed to so we asked about it, they said it got crushed :'( I cried again. My heart was broken. However this incident probably proved beneficial for my knowledge and love for the cars because I began researching and learning about them. I set it in my goals that I would own a Fiero. When I was 16 I bought my own; an 88 Formula. Happiest day in my life! A few years later added 2 86 coupes and briefly an SE. Eventually I want to have at least 7. Waiting to graduate college before I expand my herd any more. I love that they are cool, affordable and fun from the get go, yet the potential for performance upgrades, modifications, and alterations is practically limitless.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 24 now,

But when a buddy of mine and I were 20 years old, early spring of 2013, we were looking for a project car, something to build up and make a name for ourselves.
We've always loved sports cars, he likes imports, I like muscle.
We didn't want to do mustangs or camaros because everyone has those around here, and we didn't want a rice burner because we feared it would turn to rice, or we wouldn't have enough room under the hood for a larger motor (we were both dreaming v8 at that time).

One day we were hanging out in my childhood bedroom at my parents house, and he goes, "What about a Fiero?"
And my first thought is "What the hell is a Fiero?!"
He explains it to me, and I'm interested, we agree to give it a shot.

A few hours later we leave my parents house to go to his house (his moms) and low and behold, not 5 miles from my house there is a black 84 sitting on the corner of one of the busiest intersections we have, no way the car was there the previous day. When we saw it I asked, "Is that a Fiero?" He says, "No way!" so we turn around and look in the middle of a snowstorm.
We get in contact with the owner (real shady guy) who tells us everything is peachy except one of the hose fittings on the water pump is broken so we can't drive it. We start it up quick, and 1st and reverse work ok, so we are kinda interested. But my mechanic is 2-3 miles from here, I ask if I can tow it there to have it looked at, guy says no, so we felt like something was fishy, left that car alone.

Fast forward 4 months, found an 86 SE Aero v6 4 speed about 10-15 miles away. We go to look at it, seems solid to my 20 year old eyes, he even peeled the trunk carpet enough for me to look at (or so I thought).
Buy it for $750, tow it home and start the tear down.
Discovered both frame rails look like swiss dairy, the frame mount to the space frame is toast, and the trunk corners could be from the flinstone car.
Kept everything useful from that car, but I had to scrap it unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdApAxG3Fs8

But, before I scrapped it I picked up an 88 formula, just had some god awful body panels.
Transferred my almost perfect Aero body onto the formula, and will be putting my 3800 SC with the formula's 5 speed.
Hopefully sooner than later, but we are closer than we have ever been!

Nothing but fun and learning experiences so far, I've torn the car down to the frame entirely (only bolts I haven't removed are for the steering wheel and column) and completely rebuilt the car with all new bushings and components. Fresh paint on everything so far, professional paintjob will come once shes running.

If my story has interested you at all, you can follow the real build over here

Leave me a comment with any suggestions or comments or ideas, its all appreciated!

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 12-14-2016).]

REDLINE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDLINESend a Private Message to REDLINEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://s44.photobucket.com/...ds/1986%20Fiero%20SE

Just bought my first 1986 SE auto v6. Kinda like a barn find to me but the car has 12,132 on it.Had 43 miles on it in 8/94, then 6010 in 2009. The other 6k has been put on since then in church and Publix's runs since then. Never seen less then some quick rain and always been inside parked and covered. Can still read the GM stickers on the undercarridge...

Mint and stock inside and out. It's the silver and black attack on the exterior without a scratch, and the sunroof gray interior. Bought it to cut up for a AD355 conversion which I have complete and ready to go.

I kinda feel bad that I have no backstory with this Fiero as everyone does and they all bring back memories. My dream was to build a Ferrari rep and now I can see it happening. Build will start in early 2017, like Jan...lol and it should be fun. I'm looking forward to it and if anyone wants to discuss tips and methods for building please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Edit: the photobucket link says album is private bit just click on "view library" and the pics should show. Not sure why this happened.

Thanks to everyone and have a very Happy Holiday week!

Redline
todd_tamco@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by REDLINE (edited 01-04-2017).]

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2016 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw an 86 GT when I was 15......thought I was looking at a Ferrari....I had not heard of the new "fastback" body style at that time.
Took me 13 years before I could afford the 88GT I eventually got. Bought the GBCT later that year too....

Took me forever, but I finally found a shot of them together..... Wish I had a digital camera back then!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 12-23-2016).]

FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never knew what a Fiero was until I spotted one in a used car lot. After driving past it for months I finally stopped in and looked closely, and instantly wanted it. I traded my truck on the spot, straight across, and left with the Fiero. It was a 1984 black notchie with a 2.5l cement block of a motor, but it was fun to drive. Infact, I drove it over a mountain pass. Sadly within two weeks of buying it, the motor blew up. Te mechanic at the used car lot had installed the thermostat backwards, and the handle blocked the tube. One day it got hot, and never ran right again. Despite my short time with the Fiero, I was in love. Now that I am in Texas, I hope to find another one in better shape with a v6.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2016 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son had an 86GT that he was going to sell whereas he liked the MR-2s better. While I thought Fieros looked cool, I liked the power of my 69 340 Cuda better. ( I was the original owner and it was my 1st car; it was not a daily driver, it needed 104 gas octane)

While my DD pickup was at the body shop I used his Fiero for work and found it somewhat fun to drive. Only somewhat because it didn't have much power and was all over the road! A quick look at the tires explained the tendency to change for no reason lanes. He had a different brand tire on every wheel! Thinking it just needed, maybe another 50HP to be fun; I talked him into giving it to me.

After new 9.2:1 forged pistons, head work, a Crane cam, DYI simple headers, etc, etc, it was ready for the dyno. The result of my T&$ was quite disappointing. It was still a complete dog above 4k RPM?

Fortunately, the dyno data showed why. It was super rich above 4K RPM. The intake manifold would not flow worth a darn. Not one to give up, I made an ugly, but much higher flowing intake and some Equal length headers; problem solved! My son and I made and sold intakes and headers, but do to my medical issues, we had to stop. I now have 2 GTs.

------------------
my 86 2.8 intercooled turbo
[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/francis44/media/000_0663_zpsfab72cb2.jpg.html]

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 12-23-2016).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got into Fieros because of my sister. She bought one new in 86. It was done up customer with a full kami kit on it. It was gold with lace trim. She passed away and my brother has the car. It is now Black with gold stripes on it with the same kami kit on it. The car has 180,000 miles on it and still looks as good as it did on day one. It has won many awards at fierorama. I bought my first fiero for 500.00 and sold it after I put a bit of money into her. I know have my 87 gt t-top and love the car. I dont think I will ever go Fieroless again. To my sister I love you and I will always honor you with my Fiero. You are dearly missed.

Tom

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2009 Dodge Charger
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine had a meduim red metalic 87 coupe that had a 2.5 bored out to a 2.7 and cryoed block, ported heads and cleaned up exhaust manifold. She also had the extremely hard to find FWD muncie 5 speed. It was a sleeper. It was a base model complete with hub caps, balanced out and upgraded brakes. She took me for a ride and I was hooked. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Since then I have had 4 Fieros: Two 84's sport coupes with tan interior (white with steelies, and red with turbo fins.) I picked up an 88 that was in pretty bad shaped. Poor things was beaten on and neglected. So much was put into this 88. I just recently picked up an 86 gold coupe. I still have the white 84, the 88 and the 86. I am pretty sure it wont stop with these three lol.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1986 Gold Fiero Sport Coupe (Oria)
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

PFF
System Bot
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 2009 my truck blew up. Lived in Indianapolis. Needed a car bad. I found a Z24 cavalier. Guy sold it before I had the money. I called dad in Michigan. He said I have those 88 base coupe I can put back together. I ended up going g to Michigan and bringing it home. It was a $25 dollar car. It ran and drove well. All that mattered.
Long story short that poor $25 dollar car, has been fully restored and customized. Lives in the garage to only go out on nice days and car shows.
The fiero obsession has grown since. I now have 3 Fieros,. And daily drive a formula.

[This message has been edited by bkw88 (edited 12-26-2016).]

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some great stories here.. This is why we love this forum..
I've been into these beautiful cars since the day they came out... I was 8 and remember row after row of them at the local (large) Pontiac dealer here at the time..
I've had my hands on about 100 since 1995, either owned and driven, (had my 86GT for 17 years, have three more here that I've had for 15 years..)fixed and sold, or dismantled... Lots of Fiero fun..

Fiero Thomas... Your story made me tear up good buddy.. A sad and great story all the same..

Cheers!

Mark
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Thanks. The trick now is to find a forum as good for Subarus as PFF is for Fieros!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/index.php?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a suggestion; This is a really interesting thread- and I think we will continue to get a few stories from time to time....I don't know if it can be done on this forum, but on other forums they can make a thread a "Sticky" and keep it up front, so whoever wants to either post or just read/re-read it can easily find it.

I have seen some really good threads, but I think this one is the best- and will probably remain the best.

Eric
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mom had one when I was born and sold it when I was two, but I vaguely remember it. The guy she sold it to has since-died, but the car still exists and we're trying to find it...
mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was born and grew up in England, had quite a few different cars, mainly Ford Capri's most of the different models with 4 cylinders and V6's, ended up with a TVR350i a fiberglass wedge on a tubular chassis, then got a job working at Chrysler in Detroit in 93. I had seen magazine articles on the Fiero and liked the look, but I ended up getting a Ford Bronco as my first American car! this lasted for a couple of years, I was then promoted and was able to get a company lease vehicle, so ended up not actually owning a vehicle for several years. I saw a few Fiero's around and even saw a V8 at a car show and thought that was pretty cool. Then while looking through stuff on the internet I came across and 1984 Fiero with a 350SBC V8, and it just grabbed me, it was for sale near St. Louis, so I called and the next weekend I made the 10 hour drive down to take a look, well I brought it, packed a bunch of spares, 2 transmissions, axles, and other bits into my Chrysler 300m. Then the next weekend, flew down to St.louis and drove it back, that was in July 2001, I still have it now, I have changed a bunch of stuff, upgraded the engine, and still love it, cant really ever see selling it, guess I am hooked.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

DrCool86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCool86SESend a Private Message to DrCool86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 1984 my sister-in-law bought an 84 fiero. I loved the feel and look. My car then was a 1973 mustang. Fast foward to January/February of 1987 I bought a new 1987 SE 4 cylinder Fiero with 5 speed. It was the dark red and a base model with wheel covers that got stolen late one night a year later in Georgia. A few years later we had a baby (1994) and so a 2 seater wasn't conducive to baby seats and wives at the same time, so I sold it to my dad, who loved it and kept it until he broke his foot and couldn't shift. The clutch was very tight in it and it hurt he said. He sold it to a guy in the military in Virginia who apparently loaned it to a friend who drove it pretty hard and blew the engine.

Forward to the past couple of years. I'd been looking around for a fiero thinking they weren't in existence anymore, and happened to drive by a house on a corner on the way to the grocery once a week. Under a tarp sat a fiero...figured it was roughly 85-86, but couldn't tell with the tarp, only a little of the fender showed. No one was ever around. Finally, on April 16 this year, I drove by and the tarp was off and a for sale sign was in the window. I stopped, looked it over, and called the guy. He said that he had to get rid of it as the landlord didn't like it sitting where it was and he didn't have time to work on it. He was asking $500 and had done some work, i.e., new fuel pump, maybe some brake shoes, so I bought it on tax day.

Its a gray First Fiero (Red) and my 'new' one (Gray). 1986 SE with the 2.8 V6, 4 speed. 117,300 miles on it, though who really knows, it turns over about 1 mile for every 10 driven. The trip odometer works well. Something else to deal with eventually.

I had it towed to Goodyear, where they wanted $500 to put it on a scanner, though they didn't.They did get it to fire, once...It hadn't started in 12 years. So, I had it towed to my house, where it sat until a cousin came up and we got it running. And quickly realized that it needed some engine work, at least plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, every sensor, belt etc that could be put on. I did all that and it started on the first crank. It was an extremely gratifying experience.

I have put 1000 plus miles on it this summer, though in august, something changed and it is now getting horrible mileage, its running rich, and it is very sluggish. I think the O2 sensor needs replaced, but it is rusted on, and/or the fuel filter might need to be changed.
ANyway, that is my story. I fell in love with the Fiero in 1987 and have been searching for one ever since. This winter, I'm trying to get new brake lines on, the seats and headliner rebuilt, new paint, and repair everything else. It is a project car for me that hopefully will be around for quite a while.
Fierotom86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierotom86Send a Private Message to Fierotom86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked Fieros back in the 80's when they were new. They were so stylish and well designed. But back then , family cars were what my family needed, and there was not enough extra money around for a "sports car." So I just looked at them and dreamed. Fast forward to 2004. I saw a red car for sale on a lawn in a small village near my home town. It was a 1986 SE red automatic. 136,000 miles, in need of a repaint. I loved it!! I bought it for $1300 and drove it home the next day!! I still have this car and I bought another one 2 years ago-- another 86 SE, but this one is silver, 4 speed, 44,000 miles. I love them both!!! I just enjoy working on them in the summer, fixing small things that go wrong with them and upgrading them as money and time allow... No one else in my family is into cars like I am so I am not sure where I got this auto bug gene from!! It has been a love of mine since I was a kid and now that I am retired, I enjoy taking one of my 2 cars to shows where I usually I am the only Fiero. I get many comments on how good they look and how well preserved they are. I enjoy them as much as I can and have no plans to sell them...
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2017 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While looking at supercharged Grand Prixs/Bonnies on Ewetube I discovered that all this stuff will go into a Fiero fairly easily. I liked the cars when they were being produced, but not enough to commit to one. It seems to me that a lot of people are missing out on cheap niche car that's got a nice look and upward performance capability.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock