How did you get into Fieros? by 2.5
Started on: 11-23-2016 09:52 AM
Replies: 101 (2632 views)
Last post by: Harold James Kie on 11-13-2017 07:24 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Family? Friend? Accidental?

I had a Friend who had an 84 for a couple months, I rode in it and liked how it felt in the corners, and of course the looks. A couple years later I found an 86 coupe for $1000, it looked pretty good and was in good shape, I bled the clutch system and replaced the master and did general maintinence and it was good to go.

What really got me hooked was in 2009, The Tyler Project. Meeting so many die hard Fiero folks for such a good reason. Ever since I fill my year with Fiero events and cruises etc. Fred Bartemeyer and his passion for these cars also deepend my interest in them when I attended his Heartland Iowa Fiero show, and BBQ. I was in awe of all the historical data. Bought a Formula. The number of my Fieros Grew to 3 when the wife and I found another better condition 2m4. Then I sold my first which had around 250,000 miles on it, but ran great. Back to 2. Then found my first GT. And recently back to 2 in order to keep them fitting in the garage. A GT and a Formula. Yeah I know, I'm pretty moderate.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early - mid '80s... I had been following the Fiero in the car mags for years. When it first came out, I wasn't interested in the 4 cylinder. (Was driving a Chevy Monza with a 350, and a 4 speed. I was a bit spoiled.)
When the 85 GT came out, with the Indy bodywork and the V6, I was interested. Went for a test drive.
When I heard the engine rumble to life behind my right shoulder, I was hooked.

Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad had an 88 base coupe as our car when I was a young teenager and it was just the two of us. It was what I learned to drive on and eventually it was given to me. Lots of memories in that car. I liked the looks and how uncommon they were compared to Mustangs Camaros and Corvettes, even more so now as I think I have 1 of maybe 2 or 3 in the city. So I basically got the one I have now for sentimental reasons, not because it's the best project car choice.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Oh man the sound on the Fiero 2.8, they did it right.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I liked the styling and the setup of the car, the plastic body and it was affordable. After I purchased it, the potential for mods made my purchase seem even better. That must have been around 1997 . Its been a fast 19 years.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 or 7 years ago my brother's friend's girlfriend was having issues with her mr2 beater and my brother asked me about it. While googling info on the MR2 I came across the Fiero "holy crap! That's it! That's the car!" It brought up memories from growing up in the early mid 90s in Florida, every single morning waiting at the bus stop, the coolest, most exotic car ever seen would drive by but I had no idea what it was. Turns out it was a black Fiero fastback.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an '85 Camaro I bought used. 5-speed. There was a maroon '87 Fiero GT in the lot at the same time, for $5K more. Later, I had a 6-speed '97 Firehawk. Faster than the Camaro, by far. The thing is, the Camaro had the same 2.8 V6 HO as the Fiero. I know some will disagree with this, but I've had several unique cars. Fast forward a few years. No more Camaro, no more Firehawk, but I wanted something like that. That Camaro was my favorite car. I'd owned 2 Saturns, a bunch of trucks, and some other cars, but nothing else really stuck with me. Finding an '85 Camaro was no problem. I found 5-speeds. I found them in a variety of colors, T-Tops, convertibles, etc. Lots of V8s. I'd run my V6 Camaro against the V8s, and my V6 held its own against most of them. The V8s with low miles were about $10K in good condition. I couldn't find a V6 like the one I had for a long time. Finally, I found one at a car show. For sale, no less. $32K!!!! Not worth it, to me. Also, while 4 seats would be great, I just couldn't justify the purchase. The seller and I spoke for a while. He thought he had the only one like that. He'd never seen or heard of another, or come across anyone who had heard of the existence of that car. Last I'd seen mine, the paint was peeling, and the interior was ripped out (it'd been stolen).

I looked into a Fiero, and having never heard good things about them, I looked at cheap ones. What really drew me was the Fiero people I'd come across. Some Fieros were too far gone for me, but I saw one with a factory alarm. I bought one up Chicago way. It had a block heater. Rust bucket, but I learned a lot. I fixed the oil leaks, a bunch of rust issues, converted to LED, fixed a lot of wiring issues, and re-did the entire trunk. Later, I had a 4.9 Fiero. Sold it a few months later. Bought a Fiero GT that I fixed in the seller's driveway, then sold later the same day. Bought a very unique Fiero. Very fast. Didn't intend to sell, and shouldn't have, but I had a great offer out of the blue, and it was gone. The buyer later told me that the engine in that car was one Buick ran for 1 year. Something turbo, IIRC. VERY FAST. Anyway, it's gone. I tried hard to buy a particular V8 Fiero, but the deal fell through.

I was looking to sell my first Fiero, but wanted a different one. I tried with a bunch of Fieros on ebay, but lost out. Somehow, the Fiero sold locally, or it was withdrawn, or the sale was retracted, or one thing or another. In one case, when I went to pick up the Fiero, it was gone. I looked at some Fieros locally, but the pictures obviously weren't current. Finally, I got a Fiero from a guy in Chicago. I spoke with him on the phone, and had purchased parts through him previously. I drove up and bought the car, then drove it home. Some issues, like the rack was bad, the TCC was bad, the calipers were locking up, the tires were dry-rotted, no blue dingy thingy, the rear clip was on wrong, lots of delam, the FPR was leaking, the HVAC control was broken, the interior was saggy and warped, the center glove box was broken, the dash glove box was broken, the coolant overflow tank was cracked and leaking, the right mirror was cracked, the headlight motors were failing, the brake lines were rusty, the engine compartment was filthy, there were other fitment issues, and the alarm was iffy. All minor stuff.

2 weeks later, I sold my first Fiero. 3 years later, I still have this latest GT. I've fixed most of the issues above. Not perfect, not fast, but fun. I've put about 8K miles on it. Insurance is cheap, and the car fits in its spot. The manual Fieros are too tight for my feet, so it's an auto. I call this one my second Fiero, because the others were just briefly mine.
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Family? Friend? Accidental?

I had a Friend who had an 84 for a couple months, I rode in it and liked how it felt in the corners, and of course the looks. A couple years later I found an 86 coupe for $1000, it looked pretty good and was in good shape, I bled the clutch system and replaced the master and did general maintinence and it was good to go.

What really got me hooked was in 2009, The Tyler Project. Meeting so many die hard Fiero folks for such a good reason. Ever since I fill my year with Fiero events and cruises etc. Fred Bartemeyer and his passion for these cars also deepend my interest in them when I attended his Heartland Iowa Fiero show, and BBQ. I was in awe of all the historical data. Bought a Formula. The number of my Fieros Grew to 3 when the wife and I found another better condition 2m4. Then I sold my first which had around 250,000 miles on it, but ran great. Back to 2. Then found my first GT. And recently back to 2 in order to keep them fitting in the garage. A GT and a Formula. Yeah I know, I'm pretty moderate.

First of all thanks for posting the reminder of the Tyler Project...... I just spent the last 2 hours re-reading everything, laughing and crying, and all of a sudden being very proud to be a member of this forum, and a Fiero owner again.
I wanted so bad to be there, but had just started a new job after being unemployed for 8 months..... a personal thanks to everyone that was there in body, and all of us that could not be, but were there in spirit!

Now, how did I get into Fieros?
I remember reading back in the early '80s that Pontiac was going to make an all plastic body car.
Well I also found out that parts of it were going to be injection molded, (reaction injected molded to be precise) which I had been doing for quite some time already and thought how cool was that!

I took a drive to the local Pontiac dealer in 1986 finally, and there it was!!!! A beautiful all white '86 GT that I just had to drive.
Sold!
Here is a pic of that very same GT, 14 years later.
Sadly, I sold it and now it is gone.

At one time I have had 4 Fiero's sitting in the drive, and each of them held a special place in my heart.

I have only been without a Fiero for around a 8 year period since then, but ever since that first one, I have always had or wanted one.

To own a Fiero, and love a Fiero the way we all seem to do puts us either in a very special "nut house", or makes us one unique group.
Yes, mine is for sale at the moment, but I know deep down inside when and if it is gone, I will be cruising the internet looking for that special blue '87 GT.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dup post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-23-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

My dad had an 88 base coupe as our car when I was a young teenager and it was just the two of us. It was what I learned to drive on and eventually it was given to me. Lots of memories in that car. I liked the looks and how uncommon they were compared to Mustangs Camaros and Corvettes, even more so now as I think I have 1 of maybe 2 or 3 in the city. So I basically got the one I have now for sentimental reasons, not because it's the best project car choice.

Ever get over to the Fiero show in Davenport? I may have even seen you there but didn't know your screen name.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Ever get over to the Fiero show in Davenport? I may have even seen you there but didn't know your screen name.

I have't been to any events yet. I'd really like to attend some once I get my car a little better sorted for road trips though, so it's plausible we'll see each other in the future.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

First of all thanks for posting the reminder of the Tyler Project...... I just spent the last 2 hours re-reading everything, laughing and crying, and all of a sudden being very proud to be a member of this forum, and a Fiero owner again.
I wanted so bad to be there, but had just started a new job after being unemployed for 8 months..... a personal thanks to everyone that was there in body, and all of us that could not be, but were there in spirit!
:

If you haven't been yet, there is always an open invite for anyone to come to the Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show held each year the last full weekend in July.
There is also a facebook page now.
Like, follow, and share
https://www.facebook.com/ty...ipmanmemorialcarshow
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was young, we were boaters, and I had no interest in cars...........Until my new dentist drove his Pantera to work. I fell hard for the Pantera- The first road test I ever read- The one in MT(1973) where they drove thru a puddle and the car just tracked thru. Around 1984 I was finally making enough and the Pantera's value was still dropping, so I could buy one- But I had started to find out the truth about Italian exotics...Great engines, wild looks....But poor reliability, huge maintenance costs, and bad ergo-dynamics.

Pontiac was working on a small mid-engined car....So when it came out in 85 with the V6 and real performance and the R&T and MT reviews were great, I ordered mine- SE V6 w/WS6 suspension and nothing else. I had never driven a stick, but actually learned on my Fiero....I had always been into handling rather than just straight-line performance...My first car was a Comet GT(Like a Maverick) and I modded it for handling...My father had owned a number of British sports cars- Including a real odd-ball....A Jowett Jupiter! We were driving in the rain in his 70 T-Bird once and he hooked a tight turn- It started to spin and he palmed the wheel and caught it- really smooth...I was blown away by his total control of the car.

I have now owned the car for over 31 years....Have installed a 3.4 L-block, a Getrag, 88 rear and brakes, and 86-88 GT rear quarters, along with some other mods to make it really handle well. Still a daily driver.
AstroBDean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AstroBDeanSend a Private Message to AstroBDeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first started dating my wife, I went over to her house one evening. Parked in the driveway was a bright yellow Countache. I was in awe. Even when she told me "don't get too excited, it's a Fiero", I was still in awe. This car was beautiful. Turned out her father was a kit car builder. It got me researching Fieros and I wanted one. Fast forward several years. I reached a point where I could afford a "play" car. Found a clean MERA for sale, and the rest is history. A very long, expensive, at some points very frustrating, but immensely fun, history

The guy was (and still is) a magician with cars. Lot of respect for him and his skills.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early 1987 - I was a freshman in college and had gotten into a collision with my car that totaled it. While looking for a replacement my father put the idea in my head to look at the Fiero. Even though I thought they were cool looking cars, they were not on my radar for a possible replacement. So I looked at the prices of the Fieros that were advertised locally (remember this was before the internet, you had to shop for cars in the classifieds in the local newspapers, or here in the Detroit area we had a special classifieds paper called "Tradin' Times"). I finally found an 84 SE with good options and low miles for the right price so I bought it. Kept that car for six years and when I was planning to sell it I saw a Formula advertised which I went and looked at, then purchased it. Still own the Formula - just over 23 years now, and have been a Fiero owner for almost 30 years now. Jesus I'm getting old!
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember when they were new and how they had the coolest looking, futuristic-looking interior I'd ever seen. But I never really considered myself a fan until years later.

By 2002 I was looking to get a second car as a "hobby" car to take to cruise nights, etc. All I knew was it couldn't be the typical Mustang or Camaro but a GM product was preferable. I wasn't ruling out FWD vehicles and thought long and hard about limited-run models like the Turbo Grand Prix or Beretta Indy pace car. Stopping me however was the likelyhood that other than the occasional GM fanatic, no one would care about them, especially as the years go by. No point going to the cruise night if you get turned away at the entrance in your rare turbo Pontiac.

One night a bunch of us from another forum decided to meet for dinner and brews at Chicago's Goose Island brewery. A friend of a friend brought a silver Fiero GT. I had an epiphany: this was the car I needed. Next day I bought a Chilton's manual so I could learn what they looked like under the hood and under the car, etc. First time I ever bought a manual before buying the car LOL. A few months later I bought my own Fiero.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://imageshack.com/a/img...852/march1987wn6.jpg

I bought my 87 GT when I was 40 as a mid life crisis car. I still have it nearly 30 years later.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my high school age daughter a 2-door Diplomat Brougham. She didn't like it. Too big she said. Sold it and bought her an 85GT 4-speed which she liked. She had never driven a stick, so I taught her in my Mazda SE5 5-speed. The 4-cylinder was a little more forgiving on the clutch.

The Fiero had a very stiff clutch and the Mazda was pretty soft. She offered to swap, but I could use the truck whenever I needed to haul something. Either way, both vehicles limited her to one passenger, which is Georgia Law for anyone under 18.

Turns out the stiff Fiero clutch was due to a failing pressure plate. After she graduated, the Fiero became her daily driver for work and we shared it and the truck until she bought her own vehicle and moved out on her own. I kept the Fiero and let it multiply.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I originally posted the following in This thread back in September of 1999.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hello, my name is Patrick and I am a Fieroholic. My problem began in the fall of 1983 when I came across a brand new 1984 Fiero in the motel parking lot where I was staying, somewhere in the south-western States. The vehicle option/prices paperwork was still stuck to the window. I knew then that I wanted a Fiero. It took me 13+ years, but I finally got one in January of '97, a 1987 2.5L 5-speed coupe. My life has not been the same since. I used to have friends. I used to go out. Now I stay home, alone, fixing my Fiero. You people are my only contact with the outside world. I'm so lonely...

I've gone on to buy six more Fieros. I still have no friends.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The below is from this archived thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-036170.html

Back in high school, I drove an 86 IROC with a 5 speed, 305. It was the only stick F-body there and all the others were TPI Autos (and I could smoke them all!). Then one kid showed up in a black Fiero GT with an auto and was smoking all the Auto F-bodies... I never raced him, but I liked and respected the car.
Fast forward 5 years. I am in college and my best friend is test driving ZR-1's and I get to tag along and drive... Run a C4 Vette through its paces and the F-bodies will feel like a truck. So away the Iroc went (it had a 360hp 350 by this time) and Corvette shopping began. I remembered a black Vette down in Pochanontas IL that I saw a few years back, so I went down to take a look. It was there, but had sold the week before. Across the street was a jet black 86 1/2 Fiero GT with 4 speed. Perfect paint and interior for $4,000. I checked it out and was impressed, but i was Vette hungry, so I passed.

Fast forward another 3 years. I have my black 86 Vette with manual trans. And I have been driving by this black 86 Fiero SE V6 4 speed with perfect interior with the aero package for over a year. It has just been sitting out by the road under the tree. So finally I stop and ask about the car. He was fixing an electrical short for the a lady, and she was ready to get rid of it. I asked how much ($1,600) and took it out for a test drive... I was impressed with the 2.8 and the handling and purchased the car...

Now it gets interesting... in 2000 I ended up buying the house next to the tree my first Fiero was under (obviously my new neighbor does not mind fieros just sitting around!). Then in 2001 I sold my corvette (it had a 406 in it now) to buy the shop next to the house (other side from my cool neighbor) so I would have more room to play with my Fieros (i think I had 6 at this time)...

In the 13 years since I posted the above, I have had countless fieros and made significant refinements to my mechanical, metal fab, welding, machining and harness building skills. Fieros continue to be my creative outlet and a labor of love... I just wish I had more free time these days...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Summer '82 - my wife saw a Fiat X1/9 and said I would look good in it and should get one. Lol! I didn't think much of Fiat reliability and longevity, so I declined obtaining the persona improvement.
- saw a little article in Wards AutoWorld with a small pic of the 'P' car Pontiac was working on. Decided to check it out when available.
Sep1983 - Ordered Fiero SE 4 speed; arrived May1984; still driving it 374,000 kilometers (232,000 miles) later. Maybe I'm near the top of the list of longest continuously registered Fiero owners...
Feb2008 - in anticipation of '84 SE downtime, looked in Kijiji for a $2500 - $3000 "spare". Found and "had to have" a $10,000 showroom condition Formula 5 speed with 5,200 kilometers (3,200 miles).
Jan2011 - still watching for a "spare", bought an $800 '86 2.5L 5 speed needing cosmetic rehab, and 2.5 years later swapped in an '87 2.5L to remedy a failing engine.

Partial to the original notch-back style and to keeping my cars "mostly stock"; here's the fleet:

And here's my solution for making all three stock Fieros "feel really fast":

Drive the 1929 Ford Model A first!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 11-24-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Initially got an 85 Fiero for an electric conversion back in 2008 for $500. It ran and had the 2.8 and a 4 speed but it was only running on 5 cylinders (cam lobe went flat). Had everything for the conversion except for the batteries. Couldn't bring myself to drop the money needed for batteries so I sold the EV components and bought a running 88 formula. Pulled what I though was of value to me from the 85 and sold it for scrap. I was a 12v installer back in the early 90's and really didn't like Fiero's because they weren't cookie cutter installs. It's funny because that is why I now like Fiero's because they aren't cookie cutter. The 2.8 in the formula burns some oil but is most definitely drive able. Had a 3800 for a swap but got all fired up about the 3.6 LFX's and sold it. Now I'm not too sure.

Brian
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a magazine about the Little GTO midengine from Pontiac.

Then in 1985 I bought my 2M6 new paying cash. I had looked at the TA but the insurance was too high for my age.

Wrecked it rebuilt it, added t tops and many custom part that are no longer avail.

Still have the car today after daily driving it 3 years and today still showing it. Did three Pontiac shows with one first in class at the Pontiac Nats and two best of shows at 2 others Pontiac events.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured the other 2 children needed a baby brother.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad was always into little sports cars and even owned a X1-9 Fiat before he owned his first Fiero (86). I learned to drive stick in that one.. It was a SE model but with the GT skirt and wing package.. If I remember correctly. He was then T-boned on the passenger side.. Glad he was okay --- but then it led him into buying the 88 GT T-Top... He has since pass and left me his ride to look after.. as my own... Thanks DAD! Thank you, thank you, thank you
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Late 80's...

The new cars I liked were too expensive, the ones I could afford - too boring/ugly.

I started reading Kit Car Magazine thinking I'll have to BUILD the car I want.
I find out about the Fiero and at the time I only knew of the 84 notchie body style.

Some time later, I see and follow a Fastback GT to find out what it was.
I decided THAT's what I want! Great as is and won't need to do a kit car body!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I figured the other 2 children needed a baby brother.

Spoon

I like the 60 or 61. Is it a Star Chief?

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 11-24-2016).]

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when i was 21 i loved the Fiero from the start and always dreamed of it having a more powerful engine
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always liked the looks of em when I was a kid, and my dad was always talking about em. I wish I had responded earlier, and simply said .. I get into Fieros through the doors

------------------
1986 Fiero.. WorkInProgress.. :

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was digging around and did find one pic of my first coupe I drove when I was 16. Hard to tell in the pic, but it had fuzzy cow seat covers.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never looked at Fieros at all. I used to take my Mercedes SLs to the Euro Import and Kitcar show at Carlisle. I was looking for a good used Ferrari 308/328. I happened to walk into the replica building and seen the Fiero based kit Ferraris there. The gears started turning and I thought for the same or less money than a used 308 I could have a 'new' one like I wanted with all American parts and went for it. Bought an unassembled kit there at the swap meet, rented a box truck and dolly and brought it home. Found a POS Fiero locally for almost nothing and went to work.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2016 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 2010 when I was having medical issues and told I'd be out of work for at least 6 months..
I decided to sell my almost paid off 2006 HHr.. To lower the monthly bills while I was dealing with this..
I needed cheap wheels, and don't really like front wheel drive..
An Indy was for sale not that far from me.. figured why not go look at it..
and tada..
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had always liked the looks but had never ridden in one. My boss had an '88 Formula T-top that he got through a friend that worked at a bank and handled repo's. This was around 1990 so it was cherry. He never kept cars very long so he sold it off but regretted it. Around 2000 he spotted an '86 GT at a local garage that was for sale. Turns out it had been bought new for a teenage girl back in '86, she murdered the clutch in 36,000 miles and the car sat for years after. New owner bought it, had the clutch replaced, and discovered that every hose and rubber part on the car was junk - basically had a mini-restoration done on it. Once that was done, he bailed on the bill and the garage owned it. Boss bought it, took it home, it sat for a while and I eventually got it as a company car. First time I drove it the front right caliper locked up, boiled the brake fluid, and it almost killed me when I ran a red light because I couldn't stop.

So it sat again. He eventually decided to get it fixed up but now it would crank and not start. He threw in the towel and said I could have it for the cost of towing it home. I did. The no-start led me here, where I learned about the pickup coil and ignition module - replaced those (and a bad ECM) and it fired right up.

[This message has been edited by Gary W (edited 11-25-2016).]

Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought my first Fiero when I was in the Army in 89 just received my signing bonus and a fellow paratrooper was being sent to Italy and was looking to sale his Black 85 Fiero, loved the car only complaint was the lack of power of the Iron Duke and the Izuzu transmission that failed on me while on leave forcing me to sale the car to buy plane tickets in order to get back before being declared awol. Shortly afterwards I saw my first 88 Formula fell completely in love with the car, had more power, better transmission and was even better looking than my 85 bumber pad coupe had been. Looked for many years for a Formula eventually gave up until about 4-5 years ago I bought a Del Sol for my daughter, which eventfully I ended up with, I enjoyed having a toy again but decided if I was going to have a toy it should be something I wanted, so I sold the Del Sol, and started looking for a Formula again, first I found and bought ended up having rust in it's bones so I found and bought another with a little front end damage but repairable enough to make my daily driver while I tried to repair the rust on the other, finally gave up on that hopeless cause and found a another Formula with no rust, boy once your infected it's contagious if it wasn't for my girl friend I'd own at least 2 more!
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vampire

371 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by DotTC:

.. I get into Fieros through the doors

That's because you have never lived in Hazzard County GA!
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Early - mid '80s... I had been following the Fiero in the car mags for years. When it first came out, I wasn't interested in the 4 cylinder. (Was driving a Chevy Monza with a 350, and a 4 speed. I was a bit spoiled.)
When the 85 GT came out, with the Indy bodywork and the V6, I was interested. Went for a test drive.

OMG, did you buy that car new off the lot in 85? 'cause I bought the exact car at about the same time- GT, white with silver trim spring 85. One of the first ones off the line.
Cool..and yeah, the car drew a lot of attention didn't it?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I like the 60 or 61. Is it a Star Chief?

It's a 60 Catalina with around 59K original miles. Tri-power of course.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
October, 1986 I purchased a 1987 red gt and drove it till mid 1990. Then in Jan of 2010 I purchased the same identical car and it is never leaving my stable. It was the styling of the gt plus rear engine.

[This message has been edited by jim94 (edited 11-26-2016).]

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first year in college in 2010, I needed a car.
My dad suggested an MR2, but I like to buy american cars.
Although I did like the look of the MR2, when I stumbled across a picture of the Fiero I fell in love.
I think it's the coolest car I can afford.
Thought about it for 5 years and finally graduated and bought one.
I love it.

luvfierosforever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad was a small car enthusiast. He had many Triumph sports cars, the last being a white victory edition TR7. I loved the wedge shape.

By the time I was old enough to drive, the Fiero debuted. By the time I thought I could afford one, I bought a 1986 manual 2m4. I loved that car, but it loved the mechanic more. In the end, I couldn't afford to keep it.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, after hearing so many stories of my Fiero, my son bought his first car, a white 88 GT. I couldn't stand not having my own and trolled Craigslist and pestered my husband . Valentine's weekend two years ago, I rescued my baby, a twin white 88 GT. It has been down more than on the road, but my husband and son are great about helping me work on it when time allows. She's currently waiting on a water pump, but I have a whole Michigan winter to get that done.

Spring can't get here fast enough!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock