Cradle Dolly/Cart Specs by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 11-10-2016 02:26 PM
Replies: 16 (636 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-18-2016 05:36 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, Years ago a former member Rickker made a dolly for bolting to the engine cradle that raised everything up so he could easily work on it, or roll it out of the way when he wasn't. I'm sure most of you have seen it, big yellow thing. (link to thread attached) He's no longer on the forum but he did send out specs for it to some members and I was hoping somebody here would have them. If not, how about something similar? I made what looks like a furniture dolly on steroids to drop the cradle/engine onto so I could roll it out from under the car but that is much nicer looking and more practical.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110-1-029840.html#p0

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 11-10-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have the complete specs in many PDF files. ..... will get them up to you tonight .... please PM email I will send a google drive share..
regards
Danyel

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 11-10-2016).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Decided to post the craddle dolly specs zip file ......you can download the file here .. in return please buy Cliff a beer !!!

Thanks to all
regards
Danyel
------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 11-10-2016).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just use standard wood moving dollies. 2 big will do but make sure wheels are good.
Cheap units from HF and others often have junk casters and won't steer when loaded.

Look a caster top. You what 2 BB setup. Should see... mounting flange, BB, metal caster, BB, end of pivot.
Top of caster is common.
But Cheap casters often don't have second set.

sometimes You can find good ones at HF by going to the store but don't buy online.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not hard to design your own-- just measure the length/width of your cradle, and make a 2x6 frame. One thing to keep in mind that I learned the hard way--- it's VERY helpful if it is tall enough for the leg of whatever engine crane you're using to lift the car fits under it.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 1000 LB Hydraulic Table at Harbor Freight. Best investment I made. Makes it easy to remove / install engine, and working on it is a pleasure when you can move it up / down to an easy working height. If you think about buying one, grab a 20% or 25 % coupon. Also makes for a good extra work table later on, and makes getting heavy stuff in/out of the pickup easy.

http://www.harborfreight.co...able-cart-69148.html

Here's a picture of the engine being lowered onto the cradle. The cart is in it's lowest position.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 11-12-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We use a motorcycle lift and two 2 x 8 planks to move the cradle in and out of position and up and down. The problem with Rikkers cradle dolly is that the font end mounts insert in the dolly brackets. While its probably easy to move the cradle with this setup, it still must be lifted out to be inserted into the front brackets on the car.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-12-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

I bought a 1000 LB Hydraulic Table at Harbor Freight. Best investment I made. Makes it easy to remove / install engine, and working on it is a pleasure when you can move it up / down to an easy working height. If you think about buying one, grab a 20% or 25 % coupon. Also makes for a good extra work table later on, and makes getting heavy stuff in/out of the pickup easy.

http://www.harborfreight.co...able-cart-69148.html

Here's a picture of the engine being lowered onto the cradle. The cart is in it's lowest position.

This is the best solution that I've seen. Similar to what we have done with the motorcycle lift but with a much larger surface for stability. Might be time to sell that motorcycle lift.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This is the best solution that I've seen. Similar to what we have done with the motorcycle lift but with a much larger surface for stability. Might be time to sell that motorcycle lift.

This works especially well with a lift, if you are lucky enough to have one. You can raise the car to full height, roll the engine/cart underneath, and then lower the car onto the cradle/cart ( same for removal). Handle is also removable.

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I built... It worked great for me... I did however lift the car 6" or so (level) with the front up and back.. The dolly just rolled right in. I positioned it.. using my lift, dropped the car on it, un bolted the bolts, up the body of the car went.. Cradle and engine stayed In place.

Edited to say that after powdercoating, I wrapped the blocks that touch the cradle with like a foam wrap to protect the powdercoat.. The blocks are needed to clear the exhaust pipe from The outer framing of my dolly.

A quick view of my hoist... That I love❤️.... Anyway.. Just wanted to share what I did...-- edited to add that I used harbor freights ratchet style come-a-long to help hoist.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-14-2016).]

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess there is no way to add larger wheels or mount air tires to that hf job is there? I have a 2b gravel floor in my garage right now since cement is so dang expensive.
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

I guess there is no way to add larger wheels or mount air tires to that hf job is there? I have a 2b gravel floor in my garage right now since cement is so dang expensive.

You could use some cheap plywood... Luan underpayment 1/8" sells for 10-12 a sheet at the depot or go 1/4 ply for not much more in cost
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had a twin post lift (10 years ago), I used this hydraulic scissor lift to drop the drivetrain onto (I still have the scissor lift under the bench, but no lift - yet).

For the last 10 years, I have just use the legs of the cherry picker to pull the drivetrain out from under as well back under the Fiero...

When I am working on the drivetrain, I put it up on my cradle fixture on top of the metal table.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bad News, you will have more problem then whatever cradle roller.

Very few things will roll or jack on dirt/gravel, even asphalt, w/o big safety issues. (even cold asphalt can move under jack and jack stand loads over a few hours to a day or weeks causing load to drop etc.)
Rolling/jacking on Plywood may help or not depending on loads and the plywood thickness. Surface under must be flat to support the wood. (Note that MDF and others can fail without warning when caster or jack loads are small area of load. Most plywood, MDF, etc, are not water resistance and spilling gas/oil coolant and so on can "eat" them fast.)

Means All above will have problems because all use hard wheels. Small Air/Soft tires (Many Polyurethane tires are soft) only help to stop a wheel on uneven surface to prevent load falling over. Any small casters will dig into gravel fast. You have to get mini bike and related tires to run on dirt/gravel w/o digging under minor loads.

More Highlights:
See my Cave, Safe Jacking and Jacking to Clear Engine
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Forget about moving an engine cradle on wheels over a gravel floor. Put down two sheets of 4 x 8 plywood a few 2" x 12" x 12' planks and a dolly will roll easy on that. Just make sure to keep the wheels on the lumber and you will be fine.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God im dreading doing this...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

God I'm dreading doing this...

The job is time costly but not that hard. You can drop the cradle in 4-6 hours and install a new 2.8/3.1/3.4 engine in maybe 8-16 hours depending on your skill level, available tools and hoisting equipment. Swaps can take 40-100 hours of labor.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock