Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I'm repainting a 1988 GT thread (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm repainting a 1988 GT thread by pastor Dennis
Started on: 07-17-2016 12:53 PM
Replies: 66 (1670 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 08-22-2016 12:15 AM
pastor Dennis

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the sanding of the primer is complete.
Phil starting first coat of color

one coat red 81

IP: Logged
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Two coats of red

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\ lookin good

Originally posted by pastor Dennis:

Thanks 2.5, I definitely need to redo a bit of the tape. We actually had some good weather fairly consistent even for Missouri. The garage has a large attic fan Im pulling the air thru with and we built a paint booth and vacuumed the whole garage twice. Haven't noticed any dust problems (yet) and keeping a close watch on it.
Sanding the primer is painstakingly slow, but I know I need to do this well for the overall good.
The goal is to complete the sanding Friday and shoot 2 coats of color (red 81) and 3 coats of clear Saturday

Another trick is wet down the floor to keep dust down.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-03-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by notwohorns:

You put them in that cup over there

The one labeled gas cap screws?
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car has 54k on her. Now she looks it.
Here's the clear

sorry, this one's kinda dark
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Three coats of clear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Remember to find out when the best time is to buff after painting. Also after that wait the proper time then use a breathable sealant if you plan to "wax" it.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful!
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good

I took mine to maaco though 😬😬😄
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Keep it up

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This really makes me wish I could get mine complete. Nice!
PFF
System Bot
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll post more when I get her buffed...

and trim back on....

and muffler....

exhaust tips...

windshield...

Wow, it'll be winter !
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Removing the markers is simple ... removing the trim will be a PIA .... you will need new trim retainers as they are brittle and get destroyed when removing them ....

Danyel

THIS is correct. Just carefully mask the trim. I dont take stuff like this off except for a $5000 paint job.....which is why its a $5000 paint job.

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I plan on being incredibly careful. Plus I've never put the trim back in place before.
Kinda wish I had practiced with some new clips on the old trim before I did all the primer/paint.

I did receive my new side trim and I did order extra clips, so be praying for me.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Here's the painted side markers. Only had one broken one.

Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2016 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This looks awesome! I was always under the impression the body panels all had to come off to really do it right. Thanks for sharing!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2016 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty nice. I generally wet sand and buff about 2-3 days after painting. It needs that to dry enough. Longer makes it a LOT harder to sand or buff. Ive had hoods that dried over a month and spent 5 hours just on it.

Its too late now, but another trick to keep dust off while painting, is hanging a chain over some chassis part to the ground to dissipate static electricity which attracts dust and lint. Its very rare I panel off paint anything in 50 years of doing it. Too many ifs...parts the color mismatches, you damage the paint reassembling it, and trying to get finished parts lined back up. I dont care if a part is painted where you cant ever see it anyway. I never had anyone take a door panel or fender off to see if the inside was painted or not. It also take a lot more paint to paint them apart.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pastor Dennis, you have inspired me quite a bit with your efforts.

Now the closest I have ever gotten to doing a paint job on a car was with my last Formula.
Can you say Rustoleum roller job? LOL.

If anyone is interested, or wants a good laugh, here is a link to some pics of it. Bottom is before, obviously. lol
https://sites.google.com/site/davevr4/

I was actually starting to like it when I sold it and had 3 more coats to put (sponge brush and roller) on and then buff, but you have shown me the light.

It can be done well and properly in a garage!
Thanks for posting this, and can't wait to see it completed.
Nice job!
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to re-instal the smooth black trim on the sides. I bought the full trim kit and some extra clips from The Fiero Store.
Are these rivets? lol
Any tips?
I haven't even opened all the parts yet.
There may be instructions, but I'd like to hear from some of you who have done this before.

thanks again,
Dennis
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Railshot,

The formula looked great. Are you going to paint the GT?

How far are you from Twin Lakes? We were there for a car show at the very beginning of summer. It was at a waterpark back parking lot. No Fiero's tho lol
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Railshot,

The formula looked great. Are you going to paint the GT?

How far are you from Twin Lakes? We were there for a car show at the very beginning of summer. It was at a waterpark back parking lot. No Fiero's tho lol

I just may do the GT that way also.
Worst that could happen is that I need to take it in for a "real" paint job. LOL.
The Formula really looked better in person than the pictures make it look.

Twin Lakes? Let me see...... I drive to there every time I need anything, and go through there twice a day on my way to work and back.
That to me is the "big city"... We like it out here!
Roughly, 5 miles from me.

As far as Fiero's in the area, I have seen one other one, and he is in Twin Lakes I believe.
Small world eh?
PFF
System Bot
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the new windshield and seal yesterday.
Posting pics tonight.

New muffler and SS exhaust tips tomorrow !

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm getting ready to re-instal the smooth black trim on the sides. I bought the full trim kit and some extra clips from The Fiero Store.
Are these rivets? lol
Any tips?
I haven't even opened all the parts yet.
There may be instructions, but I'd like to hear from some of you who have done this before.

thanks again,
Dennis

If I remember correctly, those plastic clips have one solid side and the opposite side has 2 little fingers. If thats correct, you put the fingers toward the bottom on the body, then to put the molding on them, you put the molding over the fingers at the bottom first, then push it on with some pressure towards the top. The top then pops onto the clip. Taking them off, you pry out the top with a tool or putty knife while pushing the molding toward the top. when the top is released, you just push the molding downward to get it off the fingers. Those fingers are what usually snap off when they are old and brittle.

Someone will confirm this is the type of clip on a Fiero. Its been 15 years since I took any off.

*** Just a little tip that can save you some materials money. When you pick your color, ask the counterman if they have any returned paint. Sometimes dealers return mismatched paint or people never pick it up, so they put it on a back shelf. If they have something close, or some you can mix together to get close, buy those to use for your first coat. You could save $50-$100 on a quart. ie/ for a Medium Metallic Red, you might find a can of unused brite red you can darken a bit with black or dark blue to use for a first cover coat.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-14-2016).]

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger. I'll practice with the old trim and some extra clips first.
Some say put clips in trim first.
IDK but I have a lot left to finish.
Muffler and stainless exhaust tips today.
here's the before pic

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much paint and primer did you buy?
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LornesGT,

I bought 2 Quarts of Red color 81
1 Gallon of clear coat
1 Quart hardner
2 Quarts reducer
1 Gallon general purpose solvent
1 pk tax clothes

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I was curious if I bought enough to be able to practice before I shoot. I do have a friend who paint most likely going that route. I have I about a third of mine stripped but I went to the black primer and some spots thru that. The car has been painted before I didn't want to chance any problem.

I will be in St. Joe this September/ October time frame when I figure out my training route. Might have to stop and see this beauty.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock