Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone done a side exit exhaust through the side scoop? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone done a side exit exhaust through the side scoop? by doublec4
Started on: 04-18-2016 11:21 PM
Replies: 57 (1772 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-08-2016 08:51 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

How are you going to keep air from being forced into the exhaust?

Wont it just add a little back pressure? He doesn't have much as it is.
IP: Logged
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2016 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Wont it just add a little back pressure? He doesn't have much as it is.

Not sure, but can't be good. Since the exit is actually facing forward (at least in the last pic), I'd expect a bit of a ram-air effect going on. Just doesn't seem like it would be good to have at speed.

With such a short exhaust, and what looks like only two tiny bullet cats, could very well be plenty of backfiring in the exhaust, and even flames.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Since the exit is actually facing forward (at least in the last pic), I'd expect a bit of a ram-air effect going on.

I doubt there'd be any appreciable "ram-air effect" into the exhaust system... but even just for cosmetic reasons, I don't think I'd personally want the exhaust tip pointing forward at all.

Originally posted by doublec4:

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-25-2016).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't really be pointing "forwards" when I'm done with it. I was just holding it to give a general idea what I'm going for. It will be pointing to the side and I'm going to "slash" cut the tip so it's pointing directly sideways. I'm not at all concerned about air entering the exhaust... I'm sure the speed and pressure of the exhaust is more than enough to overcome any air being blown into it at any speed. Not to mention the exhaust will have a "S" shape in that area and won't allow air to flow back down easily.

I'm going to wrap the last section after the V-band in fiberglass wrap so that will help with heat in the area too.

The whole thing should be complete by the weekend
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Won't really be pointing "forwards" when I'm done with it. I was just holding it to give a general idea what I'm going for. It will be pointing to the side and I'm going to "slash" cut the tip so it's pointing directly sideways.

I suspected it would be altered somewhat from what we saw in the picture, but we're all holding our breath nevertheless.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you thinking of This one?

HI all

YEP YEP!! Thats the one, though I guess you could not also call it side exhaust.....

Thanx,

Air-ick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think youll hany melting going on, without cats you might have some paint staining?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only time will tell

Just need to wrap this last section with the fiberglass exhaust wrap and it's done.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You do nice work... but I dunno about this project. I wanna hear it though!
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the best picture i thought about going out the side scoops on mine but I ended up going down an out in front of the wheels

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If no one has said it already your idea has a couple of problems, first the scoop is facing the wrong may, turn it around if you want to do this. But even if you do this the way I said you are going to get exhaust smoke all over the side of the car, not to mention sitting at a light with the windows down your way will blow exhaust into the passenger compartment as well as all over the side of the car. And that's not even mentioning how much plastic you may melt, note the original position of the tail pipes, they have a black peace of some material to prevent that and they are a lot further away than what you want to do.

It really is a shame, you did a nice job tigging all that, but I think you will have problems.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

If no one has said it already your idea has a couple of problems, first the scoop is facing the wrong may, turn it around if you want to do this. But even if you do this the way I said you are going to get exhaust smoke all over the side of the car, not to mention sitting at a light with the windows down your way will blow exhaust into the passenger compartment as well as all over the side of the car. And that's not even mentioning how much plastic you may melt, note the original position of the tail pipes, they have a black peace of some material to prevent that and they are a lot further away than what you want to do.

It really is a shame, you did a nice job tigging all that, but I think you will have problems.

Steve

Possibly, but I'm willing to risk it. A few things to note... even with the exhaust facing slightly forward, it won't create any issues with exhaust escaping while driving. Also, the side scoops are fiberglass so they should be more resistant to "melting" than plastic. I will also be wrapping this last leg of pipe in exhaust wrap so it should help eliminate some of the radiant heat. Exhaust gases *could* find their way into the passenger compartment through the window, but I've been in a few cars with side exit exhaust and it was never an issue. Ex, dodge viper... driven it many times and never once had that problem.

In the event that I do have a bunch of issues I always come prepared with a back up plan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished up the exhaust wrap and fired it up for the first time today. I took a video but the mic in my camera doesn't do it any justice. I'll get a nicer quality audio clip tomorrow with a proper microphone.

I didn't hear any exhaust leaks.. finally... music to my ears. I would say that it is about as loud as a stock Viper with it's side exit exhaust. Once the car warms up it quiets down a little and I wouldn't call it extraordinarily loud. I have a few other small details to iron out before it's drive-able so it will be different to hear it under load and on the highway.

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think you need a heat shield for the body panel?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I took a video but the mic in my camera doesn't do it any justice.

It was distorted, wasn't it? Heh heh... I suspect it's loud.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-04-2016).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The backside of the panel won't need any heat shield. My only concern are the edges of the scoop where the exhaust exits. It will get warm there but we'll have to see just how warm.

The audio was distorted, yes. It is definitely loud, but I think what made it worse was that it was in my garage (beside the wall that is concrete) so the noise was just bouncing right off that wall. I couldn't move the car outside as I have to put the rest of it back together.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm still working on getting the audio clips. I want to put together an assortment of clips.

However, I drove it around a bit today and I have some good news.. the side scoop doesn't seem to get hot at all. I even let the car sit and idle for a while and I could touch the fiberglass around the scoop and it wasn't even warm to the touch... fiberglass is a good insulator (which is why they make exhaust wrap from the stuff) so that might help.

As suspected, it's pretty loud even outside of the garage... especially above 4000rpm but it can sound tame if you don't get into the throttle too much. I can live with it for now since I don't drive the car daily. In the future if I get tired of it, there are some small "spiral" exhaust inserts, or cones, that I can put in the straight section right before it exits and it should take more of the edge off. It would just require a quick cut and reweld down the road.

Stay tuned for some video!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-07-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks sweet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock