Introducing Myself by Clyhead
Started on: 12-05-2015 09:05 PM
Replies: 6 (272 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-08-2015 12:09 PM
Clyhead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClyheadSend a Private Message to ClyheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody! About two months ago my dad gave me his 1986 Fiero Notchback, it's a 2.5 with a 5 speed manual and T-tops. I have been slowly fixing it up and I'm hoping I can get it back on the road soon. My dad bought it new back in 86 or 87 and it was his daily driver for the longest time so I'm the second owner with about 65K miles on the clock. So far I have cleaned the interior, replaced the clutch line, replaced the steering damper, put new shocks in the front and struts in the back (KYB), greased and bled the front calipers, replaced the rear calipers and put new pads on, rebuilt the E brake (it was totally shot from sitting so long), greased the shift lever and the cables, replaced the cap and rotor and the spark plug wires (new plugs soon to come), changed the oil to full synthetic, put on K&N air, fuel and oil filters, and I deleted the catalytic converter and the EGR since it won't have to pass emissions anymore. Work that still needs to be done, I started to put a new floor in the driver's side (about halfway done with that), the engine cradle is in pretty bad shape so I'm going to be taking one off our 87 parts car and putting on mine, and it needs new tires. I plan on making it my daily driver for most days since I just love driving it and it probably gets better mileage than my truck
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Sounds like you're well on your way.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! What a first post! It does indeed sound like you are well under way, and have a good grasp of the Fiero from they way you talked about the repairs.

If you had not read about this anywhere, make sure to check out the air intake for the Heater / A/C. Remove the fan motor, almost dead center under the front hood. Leaves collect in there when sitting, as well as mice love to make nests in there. If there is debris in there, it can easily smolder (for hours even) and catch fire. It's quite common unfortunately. Good friend of min in MN awoke to the fire department banging on his door when his caught fire. Here is THE THREAD about it.
Clyhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClyheadSend a Private Message to ClyheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be looking into that next time I go out to work on it, thanks for the tip!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

(re-enforcing the previous recommendation)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123929.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-06-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Welcome to the forum! What a first post! It does indeed sound like you are well under way, and have a good grasp of the Fiero from they way you talked about the repairs.

If you had not read about this anywhere, make sure to check out the air intake for the Heater / A/C. Remove the fan motor, almost dead center under the front hood. Leaves collect in there when sitting, as well as mice love to make nests in there. If there is debris in there, it can easily smolder (for hours even) and catch fire. It's quite common unfortunately. Good friend of min in MN awoke to the fire department banging on his door when his caught fire. Here is THE THREAD about it.

Not just the blower motor, but pull the resistor pack out too, which is near the motor, and make sure it's clean, and the area where it sits inside the housing is clean as well. It gets quite hot and is usually what starts the fires, though dry leaves piling up against the heater core can as well of course.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
A parts car already and everything, I think you'll do fine

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock