She lived up to the fiero name by 1984whitesc
Started on: 01-06-2011 06:23 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: VikingRedBaron on 01-07-2011 11:14 PM
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
My little 84 lived up to the Fiero name. On December 20 at 2 am. I get a loud knock on the door. There stands the local authorities saying what I thought were words of death to my lil Juliet. He told me that my car was on fire. I quickly threw my shoes on, rushed down the stairs, and run to this view.

Here she is in the day light

The damage underneath the dash
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
So far I have the dash gutted and the front gutted except for the essentials for stopping. It's going to be a long road to recovery for Juliet.
I wonder how I can get rid of the burnt plastic smell. It really does linger for a long time.

------------------

Thank for the sig. Bobadoofunk
1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet)
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (bella)
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 01-06-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Mouse nest or debris in the blower housing? That sucks. Good luck with the repairs.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
Ahh man that really sucks!

It had to be the heater ducts with dead leafs and other various debris that’s been accumulating for the past 28 years. I hope it’s an easy fix for you and that everything works out for Juliette.

I see they forced the hood open, did they break anything else?

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 01-06-2011).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
WOW THAT SUCKS! I want to be the first to say "that will buff right out"...but that's not funny. This fall when i started my formula for the FIRST time the insulation next to the alternator caught on fire so it's no myth, it happens.
Question, what's all the wireing here?
jeep107

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeep107Send a Private Message to jeep107Direct Link to This Post
Thats a awful way to end the year, I wish ya luck getting her fixed up.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Do they know what started it? I see a huge bundle of wires in the front compartment there, what is that?

Was it something from inside the HVAC system?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry to see this, or any damage happen to any of our increasingly scarce Fieros.
That said, at least it didn't happen when you were out driving it someplace where you may have been stranded in the winter. It looks repairable. As far as the burnt plastic smell, you should be able to get TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) from a local hardware store. Start with a mild solution in a bucket or warm water. You'll have to scrub everything...carpets, door panels, upholstery, in around and under the dash, the HVAC ducts. You may have to do it more than once. Then scrub with clear water to rinse the TSP out.
We also used it on a white 86 Fiero GT that I purchased in '04. That car had belonged to a weed smoker and was absolutely gross inside. The entire interior came out,
all surfaces were TSP scrubbed and painted with Rustoleum truck bed liner (available at Walmart in spray cans in the automotive department). The carpet padding and headliner were all replaced with items purchased from the Fiero Store. The seat covers were removed, run through the washing machine multiple times and then re-installed. The door panels were soaked with a TSP solution and rinsed multiple times and re-installed. Total cost was under $400. After that, it had that "new car smell" until the time it was totalled when rear-ended by an SUV in October of '09.
Back in '96 we had a house fire after a lightning strike. The TSP got used heavily and seemed to eventually get rid of the burnt smells, but took time and patience.
I hope these suggestions help you with your repairs.
Good luck!

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera,' 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
So sorry man!

How did they know it was your car?

Props to you for deciding to rebuild her.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

There is an 84 in Menomonie here. Factory no A/C...
Complete wiring interior/front end/dash.
Get ahold of me and I'll see if I can get ahold of the owner for parts. The frame on it is trashed.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Atleast it was not the fault of the car but the owner.....proper maintenace is key when owning a Fiero.....At least it was an 84.....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Atleast it was not the fault of the car but the owner.....proper maintenace is key when owning a Fiero.....At least it was an 84.....

Well, this is true for any vehicle.... not just a Fiero. It is easy for a hose, wire, or other item to shift/sag with age and this can also cause problems.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
BTW, I am thinking about selling or parting out a running 88 coupe. The interior is grey though.
fierogal123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogal123Send a Private Message to fierogal123Direct Link to This Post
I'd cry! Sorry...that's really awful. At least you can start a new project.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Well, this is true for any vehicle.... not just a Fiero. It is easy for a hose, wire, or other item to shift/sag with age and this can also cause problems.

I agree but the Fiero does require a bit more attention to detail.....
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
HEATER RESISTOR FIRE!!!! No but seriously I hope you get it back in tip-top shape.

Matt
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

How did they know it was your car?

License plate and registration, that's why it is so important to register your car, with your correct address and phone number.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Wow! The Fire department was at the scene quick.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that. I saw this car in person at the Frazee show, it was a real nice 84. Good luck rebuilding.
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
God's way of telling you to get a really neat body kit and a custom dash??

Sorry about the car bro!!
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Holy crap!

And you're gonna repair it? You're more man than me.

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I agree but the Fiero does require a bit more attention to detail.....

^ I'll vouch for that.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Good luck!

You're going to want to replace the seats and carpeting along with fixing the damaged interior pieces. The smoke smell will never come out of either of those no matter how many times you clean them. It gets in deep and never lets go. Try to find yourself a good donor vehicle and get all of your parts at once...
PFF
System Bot
njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
HI,

I have a set of 84 door panels you can have..Please LMK

Sorry about your car

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Try to find yourself a good donor vehicle and get all of your parts at once...

I agree... Not worth sourcing the parts individually...

BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed something.. But I don't understand how it caught on fire without you being near?

------------------
1986 SE V6 Auto. 114K miles.
1995 F-150 4.9l Straight 6, Port and polished head, oversize valves, mild cam.

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to see your loss. Hope you put something together again.

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post

Had a similar problem with my car. Mice got into my HVAC system and the fan resistors started the nest on fire. I got the fire out and had to replace the plastic cover over the Heater core and evaporator. That was 4 years ago. Good luck with the repair.

Rich
Adam1988

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adam1988Send a Private Message to Adam1988Direct Link to This Post
I think you may be better off starting with a new car and parting this one out.

You will be breathing carcinogens in for the rest of this cars life.

Sorry for your loss man.
Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:

Had a similar problem with my car. Mice got into my HVAC system and the fan resistors started the nest on fire. I got the fire out and had to replace the plastic cover over the Heater core and evaporator. That was 4 years ago. Good luck with the repair.

Rich

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^can that happen without the car running?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Ouch!! So sorry man . I actually just performed the heater ducts maintenance about a month ago, boy am I glad I did!! Good luck with the rebuild.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Andrew, man, I am so sorry to see this happen to you..... wow. I know that little car is you pride and joy, and it was looking really good in Frazee. I wish there was something I could do to help man. I do not have any left over parts at all from building my car. I hope Aaron pitches in to help you with it! I wish you the best getting her back to, and even better than she was before!

I am curious to what could have started the fire.... we all know the resistors can catch leaves on fire, but for that to happen, the fan has to be running.....

I am sorry, I just have to say, that the comments above "At least it wasn't the cars fault, but the owners fault" Real nice to kick someone while they are down! and "At least it was an 84" was just tasteless. We all put a lot of time and effort & money into our cars (In Andrew's case, while going to school on a tight budget), does it really matter what year it is? If it were not for the 84' there would be no 85, 86, 87, 88.....

I hope to see you in Frazee in July!

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
For those wondering how something like this can happen...

Leaves and debris, mouse nests, etc can sit and smolder for a long time before actually bursting into flames...

In the duct work of the Fiero, if you were driving along with the fan on any speed lower than "High", the resistor pack which is mounted in the duct work just after the blower motor gets HOT....

If they come into contact with something flammable in the ductwork, it could either burst into flames immediately (unlikely with the amount of air flowing past rapidly), or start to smolder... You may get a faint whiff of smoke, but attribute it to something outside the car, especially this time of year..

Now, park the car, go inside.. The material is still smoldering, but not actively burning due to an enclosed environment without air flow..

A good well placed gust of wind at the front of the car may be just enough to provide a quick "puff" of air down into the duct work through the opening at the base of the windshield...

Now you have a fire. The material burns, catches the plastic duct work on fire... Escalates from there...

I have seen it happen to vehicles other than the Fiero as well.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 01-07-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Now you have a fire. The material burns, catches the plastic duct work on fire... Escalates from there...

Thanks for that. I was wondering how a parked car can catch fire.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the well wishes. I do plan on restoring her. EVEN if she is only an 84. A Fiero is a Fiero no matter what year it is. With out the 84, the rest wouldn't exist.

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

WOW THAT SUCKS! I want to be the first to say "that will buff right out"...but that's not funny. This fall when i started my formula for the FIRST time the insulation next to the alternator caught on fire so it's no myth, it happens.
Question, what's all the wireing here?

I had kept a set of jumper cables in the front just in case. I was having issues with the starter/ battery. The rest is stock wiring that ran over the fan and other areas. It torched everything form the connector to the fan.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Wow! The Fire department was at the scene quick.

They are literally just two blocks away.

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 01-07-2011).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to see this Andrew.

I will have to check my ("At least it was an 84") the next time I drive it.
Don`t want to loose a pair of them.

[This message has been edited by VikingRedBaron (edited 01-07-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock